• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Recent Virus Threat

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Hey guys

Briefly this morning, some malicious code somehow ended infecting all the JavaScript on the forums. It came in through a software exploit so we are upping security and have removed it.

Chances are, if it got into your computer, your virus scanners would have blocked it (as it did with mine), but to be on the safe side, just run a virus scan to be safe.

If you spot anything odd, let me know.

We truly apologise for this.

~Serebii

Caluminousdugtrio

class on my back
Hey Serebii whenever i access the forums through Safari, it keeps giving me an "alert" signal that tells me that this site is may still be containing the malware. Is that something we should be worried about?

darklord18

thanks i did a scan and nothing was found delete all my cookie and what not. so i should be safe :)

thanks again serebi

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
Hey Serebii whenever i access the forums through Safari, it keeps giving me an "alert" signal that tells me that this site is may still be containing the malware. Is that something we should be worried about?

No, it just does that based on the browsing diagnostics scan. They'll do another soon and it'll clear it

Wolfaotic

send smeargles
So that's why it's always coming up with the warning thing...
I thought Serebii was hacked. O.O

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
So that's why it's always coming up with the warning thing...
I thought Serebii was hacked. O.O

It technically was, but that's neither here nor there.

We've added loads of security layers so hopefully it won't happen again.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
So i have nothing to worry about if this is the first time im visiting the site since last night?

also, that Safari alert is going to be annoying until they remove it.

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
So i have nothing to worry about if this is the first time im visiting the site since last night?

also, that Safari alert is going to be annoying until they remove it.

I don't think so. We're unsure exactly when they got in, but best to check things just in case

ace_v

My body is ready.
Thanks for the information! I've seen this happen on another forum before, so I had an idea of what had gone wrong when Chrome flagged the forum for malware.

I'm just glad it was fixed quickly! :)

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.
For a second, I thought my Firefox browser was derping while trying to access the forums.
But wow, I didn't expect this. I'll still do a quick scan just in case.
(I'll probably also do a full time scan when I get home later. I'm currently accessing via college wi-fi.)
Thanks for letting us know. ^^

Edit: Quick scan complete, no threat found.

Last edited:
Well I'm glad this was solved quickly. I also did a full system scan and nothing was detected~

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
If it helps you any, at 1:31 AM Central Time the forum was working fine. When I got on just before 5:30 AM, that's when I started getting the warning.

Cuthrout

Serebii

Staff member
Admin

Cuthrout

How do you have that image over this thread. When I posted this thread, it was resolved?

It was under my Online Shield Results of AVG. I had the Chrome Malware Warning when I got back onto the site, but the JS is gone. Just showing the detection time of the scripts. Sorry didn't mean to confuse you.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Thanks serebii! I was wondering what that's about... when will the notifiations stop? It still gives me notifications that there's malware here...