• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Recommended RPGs

Kez

Hoenn Champion
OK, before you say anything, I cant spell.
Anyway, back on topic. I have just finished college, and want to know some good, long RPGs that I can play.
So far I have:
-both golden sun games
-skies of arcadia
-phantasy star online episodes one and two
-oh... and pokemon games if you include them. lol

Anyway, can you recommend some good RPG games for either GC, GBA or DS which are available in the UK?

Here is a list of recommened ones I have gathered from this thread and other places
Gamecube
Baiton Kaitos
Fire Emblem: Path of Radience
Tales of Symphonia

Game Boy Advance
Final Fantasy I & II - Dawn of Souls
Final Fantasy IV
Sword of Mana
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
Tales of Phantasia
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced

DS
Lost Magic
Final Fantasy III
Children of Mana
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

Last edited:

[AceAussie]

Awaiting October.
lunar genisis is good and pretty fun but i think it's called lunar dragon song in the uk and it's for the DS

Shinin

Minimalist
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

Moonlight.

Hmm...the only ones I've played are the Pokemon games, Golden Sun and the Tales series, so I guess all I could recommend is the latter.

I'm pretty sure I've talked to you about Tales of Symphonia (GC) on MSN (remember me? I'm Surf/Kuratosu). It's a nice, long RPG, taking up two discs (the first one is mainly story, the second one has a bit of story and a ton of sidequests). I found the game to have brilliant replay value, and I still play it after 3 playthroughs. The real-time battle system works like a mix of a fighting game and an RPG battle (the fighting is side-scrolling, but there's strategy, strengths and weaknesses, weapons and items to use). The swordfighting feels similar to Soul Calibur IMO, which you may like if you're a fan of the series. You can play through the game with your friends, though sometimes it's hard to see where you are. The story is pretty cliched, but loads of great plot-twists make up for that.

Tales of Phantasia (GBA) is similar to Symphonia, though the story is a little more cliched (yet still very enjoyable), and the battle system isn't as advanced.

I also hear Mario & Luigi is good. I played about 20 mins of it once and liked it. I don't know how the rest of the game turns out though.

CoolTrainerStar

Seven Evenings
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance or Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II

Cenodoxus

SMILE.LIKEYOUMEANIT
Fire Emblem is more strategy than RPG. Anyways...

- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
- Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (NDS)
- Tales of Symphonia (GCN)
- Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings & The Lost Ocean (GCN)
- Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GCN)

Sadly, there aren´t too many good RPGs in Nintendo consoles and portables, but these should keep you entertained for a while. If you´re also interested in strategy games, though, I recommend all three US Fire Emblems (Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones for GBA and Path of Radiance for GCN), as well as Advance Wars: Dual Strike for the DS.

~ Nyx//Yor

Bulbatordile

Who can say?
You could give Final Fantasy I and II: Dawn of Souls or Final Fantasy IV Advanced ago both for GBA, apart fom that any of the above mentioned, esp. the Mario ones if you want something different that the 'classic' RPG. GC, GBA, DS are all a bit lacking for RPGs Golden Sun/GS Lost Age are my fav, but you've already got that.

Baten Kaitos and Tales of Symphonia For the GameCube are must haves, Paper Mario: THe THousand Year Door You can take or leave, as theres not much Replay Value in my mind. In he Handhelds Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls is a must play, as is Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories even if you never played KH or KH2, and while I havent played it, Ive heard lots of good stuff aboutBodaki, The Sun in YOur Hands.Mario & Luigi:Super Star Saga Is alot like Thousand Year Door, fun the first time, not much in the way of Replay. On DS, Lost Magic Is by far one of the best.

water types rule

Well if you like Lord of the Rings then The Third Age for the Gamecube isn't too bad, but the one for GBA is a strategy game.
And like others have mentioned Superstar Saga and Thousand Year Door are both really good.

A

Archangel

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? It's Strategy and RPG...in other words- an SRPG...

Kez

Hoenn Champion
I just want to say thank you for all of your advices. I forgot to mention that I have Paper Mario. lol. I do not think that it is a typical RPG game.

So, I was looking on e-bay for games, and Baten Kaitos is £44.99!!! That is so much. I hope that I will be able to get a copy of it.

Tales of Symphonia I have heard a lot about thanks to Moonlight. This is also an expensive game on e-bay as well. I WILL get those 2 though.

Right, this is the list of games that I want from most to least, I am going to put it into the first post.
-Baten Kaitos (GC)
-Tales of Symphonia (GC)
-Final Fantasy IV (GBA)
-Tales of Phantasia (GBA)
-Final Fantasy I & II (GBA)

I have heard very good things about Harvest Moon and Fire Emblem. I know that they are classed as RPG's, but are they similar to the ones mentioned above?

Prelude

Prelude
I dunno if Fire Emblem is classed as any of the above games, since I do not own them. I'll just explain.

Fire Emblem is a turn-based RPG. It's kinda like an advanced Chess game, but you can move all of your 'pieces', or Units, in one turn. The objective varies from level to level. The movement of your unit depends on which class it is and which game. FE9, or Path of Radiance, is the only one with different movements.

I can't explain any better than that...

Last edited:

Kez

Hoenn Champion
Thank you Black Night, I think that I get it now. I think that I will get it to see what it is like for my self, and I do not have a game of that genre, or anything like that, so I think I will give it a try.

Does anyone know about harvest moon?

Octillery

You're cool.
Does anyone know about harvest moon?

IIRC Harvest Moon is virtual life where you work on a farm.

But yeah, Fire Emblem is probably your best bet. Phantasy Star Collection is pretty good though; I bought it just for PSII.

Shinin

Minimalist
Cenodoxus said:
Fire Emblem is more strategy than RPG. Anyways...

- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
- Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (NDS)
- Tales of Symphonia (GCN)
- Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings & The Lost Ocean (GCN)
- Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GCN)

Sadly, there aren´t too many good RPGs in Nintendo consoles and portables, but these should keep you entertained for a while. If you´re also interested in strategy games, though, I recommend all three US Fire Emblems (Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones for GBA and Path of Radiance for GCN), as well as Advance Wars: Dual Strike for the DS.

~ Nyx//Yor

Partners in Time shouldn't be on that list. It's horrible.

Kez

Hoenn Champion
Octillery said:
IIRC Harvest Moon is virtual life where you work on a farm.

But yeah, Fire Emblem is probably your best bet. Phantasy Star Collection is pretty good though; I bought it just for PSII.
Well, I was wondering if someone could tell me more about it. I already have phantasy star online.

Oh, how long is tales of Phantasia?

Prelude

Prelude
You can always to to wikipedia for this information, just to let you know.

Most of the game facts are correct, and you learn a great deal of the game. And it's faster than waiting for a reply from the gaming experts.

-BK

Kez

Hoenn Champion
I know, but it is just that getting peoples personal opinjions about the game, and weather it is a good RPG are not things mentioned on wikipedia. I know what you do, well kind of, i just do not know what it is like.