• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Red, Blue and Yellow on 3DS Virtual Console - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niormon

I just realized after playing red And now I remember, Blu is a lot strong the the other rivals in the other Games not only in every time you meet him he has more Pokemon and his level are always higher ( is it a fixed level thing ?)

Kataphrut

Kind of let down that they're doing the black and white Game Boy versions of Red & Blue rather than the Game Boy Colour versions. It feels like I'm playing an inferior version of a game that was released decades ago, on more powerful hardware.

Anyway, just started Red, decided to run with Bulbasaur since nobody every picked him back in the day. Still working out a team; all I know is that I've got Spearow and Mankey lined up for the early game, but may switch it up later. I don't have anybody to trade with (one of the downsides of studying abroad), so can't go for the usual powerhouses like Alakazam or Gengar. My plan is to name them all after my favourite game characters; Bulbasaur is Solaire (because he learns Solarbeam), Spearow is Wright (as in Phoenix), Mankey will probably be Kanji (of Persona 4 fame), and I'll probably get a Cubone just to fit in Sans.

Vroomer

Glad it is black and white monochrome. Remember playing Blue on the GBC and then putting Red in... Horrible! Much nicer on the eyes.

Picked up Red last night. Got bored leveling up pokes for the elite four. Going to glitch it for Mew. Chose Bulbasaur as my starter and one gym down.

BCVM22

Kind of let down that they're doing the black and white Game Boy versions of Red & Blue rather than the Game Boy Colour versions

Again, the preprogrammed palettes in the Color hardware were little more than a version-matched coat of paint. Certainly not enough of an upgrade to designate these monochrome ports as "inferior versions."

silver_phoenix

Fluffy Pokemon Trainer
I got my Pokemon Red Version Cartridge originally with a Gameboy Color, so playing it in B & W is new for me. However, if they ever did release a color upgrade, I would prefer the color pallete things you can do from the Super Gameboy. I have enjoyed playing Pokemon and other Gameboy games most on the Super Gameboy.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It feels like I'm playing an inferior version of a game that was released decades ago, on more powerful hardware.

That's what you would be doing regardless of if it were in color or not.

Dr. Eeviil

Man, I'd forgotten how limited the space is on these original games. I've got 31 hours played, just got the 8th Gym Badge and have captured 62 pokemans. Now my computer has about 3 spaces left, I've got 3 or 4 spaces in my inventory and I've filled 3 boxes and started on a 4th on Bill's PC. Now I remember one of the reasons I liked Pokemon Stadium so much, more room for stuff!

Vroomer

Yes. Hate the lack of item storage in the game, too. Forgot about it until I maxed out items in my PC.

jvl

Slug Nation
I've been playing Blue since this release and have enjoyed reliving this classic, but Blue was actually the second game I played, with Silver being my first. Although I really like the 1st gen I still prefer the 2nd which I played first since it doesn't have a lot of the drawbacks mentioned like limited spacing & having the addition of shinies is pretty sweet. I'm planning to also purchase Yellow after I've made some more progress on the games I already own. Personally I'm really glad they left it untouched (glitches and all).

After seeing the news, it makes me wonder if they will release the 2nd gen. games later on. They're only re-releasing R/B/Y because it's to celebrate the 20th anniversary, but I guess it would only make sense. Fans would also love to return to the original Johto.

This is the most exciting thing for me seeing these games on the VC, I really hope the decide to release G/S/C on it, I'd buy & replay Silver & Crystal in a heartbeat.
I'd also really like them to translate the original Green (from the Red/Green that Japan got) and have that game available on the VC (or I'd even buy a cart lol) I think a fully english translated version with all original sprites and gameplay/glitches plus compatibility to trade/battle with the other Gameboy classics on the VC would be a game a lot of hardcore fans would love to see. Sure the game might need more tweaking to work in this way than using R/B/Y did but I'm sure the response from fans would be worth the hard work, considering this is the real first Pokemon game and has never seen an official English release despite the huge fan base for the game.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I'd also really like them to translate the original Green (from the Red/Green that Japan got) and have that game available on the VC (or I'd even buy a cart lol) I think a fully english translated version with all original sprites and gameplay/glitches plus compatibility to trade/battle with the other Gameboy classics on the VC would be a game a lot of hardcore fans would love to see. Sure the game might need more tweaking to work in this way than using R/B/Y did but I'm sure the response from fans would be worth the hard work, considering this is the real first Pokemon game and has never seen an official English release despite the huge fan base for the game.

What would be the point though when it is almost exactly the same thing as what we have with Red and Blue but worse?

BCVM22

There's no point to an English Green. It would be an English Blue with even weirder looking sprites and an even less polished game engine. The amount of work they'd have to do is inversely proportional to the minimal benefit that would arise from it. And iff they were going to do this they'd have done it alongside Red, Blue and Yellow.

To do it now separately would literally be to say "here's the opportunity to spend another $10 on a lower quality version of a game you've already bought once/twice/three times. At best it's almost exactly what you have already, except for Venusaur on the fake digital box art."

You see the lack of foundation for this, I'm sure.

jvl

Slug Nation
What would be the point though when it is almost exactly the same thing as what we have with Red and Blue but worse?

There's no point to an English Green. It would be an English Blue with even weirder looking sprites and an even less polished game engine. The amount of work they'd have to do is inversely proportional to the minimal benefit that would arise from it. And iff they were going to do this they'd have done it alongside Red, Blue and Yellow.

To do it now separately would literally be to say "here's the opportunity to spend another $10 on a lower quality version of a game you've already bought once/twice/three times. At best it's almost exactly what you have already, except for Venusaur on the fake digital box art."

You see the lack of foundation for this, I'm sure.

I expected similar replies to this, I see it less as the game offers anything much different to it's newer counterparts, it's more just that I personally would like the chance to play the game in accurately translated English & on my 3DS (I did play a translated version, but it was far from a professional job). I figured other fans would feel the same and also jump at the chance to finally own/play Green in their native language.
If I'm alone in this desire, fair enough, but I just feel it'd be a good insight into the game's first release for those who maybe hadn't heard of or played Green & also give a chance to those who have played it or wanted to; to purchase and play the game in a perfect translation.
I'm not trying to argue that it's not a worse game, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have any merit, it's an interesting and enjoyable game all the same and just as much a part of Pokemon's History & start of their gaming legacy that this release is meant to honour!
However I agree that if they ever were gonna do this they probably would've released it alongside these games, so I guess I'll never get it :( Just gotta hope they do eventually release G/S/C

Vroomer

+1 for G/S/C on the console. Really enjoying Red and Blue. Will post my update later tonight/in the morning.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I expected similar replies to this, I see it less as the game offers anything much different to it's newer counterparts, it's more just that I personally would like the chance to play the game in accurately translated English & on my 3DS (I did play a translated version, but it was far from a professional job). I figured other fans would feel the same and also jump at the chance to finally own/play Green in their native language.
If I'm alone in this desire, fair enough, but I just feel it'd be a good insight into the game's first release for those who maybe hadn't heard of or played Green & also give a chance to those who have played it or wanted to; to purchase and play the game in a perfect translation.
I'm not trying to argue that it's not a worse game, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have any merit, it's an interesting and enjoyable game all the same and just as much a part of Pokemon's History & start of their gaming legacy that this release is meant to honour!
However I agree that if they ever were gonna do this they probably would've released it alongside these games, so I guess I'll never get it :( Just gotta hope they do eventually release G/S/C

Not that I'm trying to bash for having that opinion, but I am curious as to why. Green Version offers literally nothing of value compared to Red and Blue. I guess if your just a fan of Venasaur that could be a reason, but other than that there's just nothing worth buying another game for. The graphics are the same, the game engine is the same, the story is the same, the dialogue is the same, the Version Exclusive Pokemon are the same as Blue. The only difference is an overall less refined game.

BCVM22

I get that it's a novelty because it's something that wasn't released here by name, but remember that English Blue is Green in terms of script and exclusive Pokémon, only with the upgrades afforded by the singular Japanese Blue. You've played a professionally translated and localized Green - it just swapped out a green cartridge and Venusaur for blue and Blastoise. Again, that's the thing. You'd be playing something you've already played, just with a different cover Pokémon.

Vroomer

Ok. Knowing that Koffing is upside down is getting on my nerves a little. 20years later and still upside down... Poor Koffing.

No change to Blue. Taking a break.

For Red:
Badges 4
Own: 16
Seen: 80
In the ghost tower now. Just defeated my rival. My core team is: Gyarados, Kadabra, Mew (no HMs & TMs), and Ivysaur. Will be getting Fly here shortly for Pidgey. Beedrill is my Cut poke. Going to make Gyarados my Surf and Strength poke. Not focused on the Dex for this game. Will focus on that after I get my other 4 badges.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I just learned that in Yellow Jessie and James call you a brat on several occasions. That disappoints me. If the game is supposed to be based off the anime why wouldn't they call you a twerp instead. Does anyone know if this was a translation error or some other kind of oversight?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Neither. "Based off the anime" doesn't mean "word for word adaptation."

I know, but them calling Ash a twerp is such a big aspect of them, and since they repeatedly call you brat, a word that means nearly the same thing, it seems odd to me. If it isn't a translation error than it is a missed opportunity for sure, the two words could have easily been switched out for a better result.

Status
Not open for further replies.