• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Red, Blue and Yellow on 3DS Virtual Console - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCVM22

but them calling Ash a twerp is such a big aspect of them, and since they repeatedly call you brat, a word that means nearly the same thing, it seems odd to me. If it isn't a translation error than it is a missed opportunity for sure, the two words could have easily been switched out for a better result.

Is it possible you're overvaluing the word and overreacting a bit?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Is it possible you're overvaluing the word and overreacting a bit?

Maybe. I'm not freaking out or anything. I'm just disappointed, that's all. Team Rocket are my favorite characters in the anime, and I love the idea of Yellow being an anime adaptation, so the closer the better, that's all.

pokedexfiller

Unova Trainer
Does anyone know how genders work? I've not transferred my Pokemon over to the Bank yet. Are genders randomly assigned? For Pikachu in Yellow, is the gender solely male or can it be female?

Aquarelle

Staff member
Does anyone know how genders work? I've not transferred my Pokemon over to the Bank yet. Are genders randomly assigned? For Pikachu in Yellow, is the gender solely male or can it be female?
We won't know anything about this until closer to the end of the year, when Sun & Moon come out. We can't transfer any RBY VC Pokemon using Bank until then (RBY Pokemon can't be sent to XY or ORAS).

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
When do you think GSC will get a Virtual Console release? Because it's going to happen.

I wouldn't be so sure of yourself. The 3DS Virtual Console has been out for five years now, and we only just now got these games. The only reason we got Red, Blue, and Yellow was because of the anniversary. Without such an excuse in the future Game Freak may feel they have no real reason to release Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

jvl

Slug Nation
Not that I'm trying to bash for having that opinion, but I am curious as to why. Green Version offers literally nothing of value compared to Red and Blue. I guess if your just a fan of Venasaur that could be a reason, but other than that there's just nothing worth buying another game for. The graphics are the same, the game engine is the same, the story is the same, the dialogue is the same, the Version Exclusive Pokemon are the same as Blue. The only difference is an overall less refined game.

I get that it's a novelty because it's something that wasn't released here by name, but remember that English Blue is Green in terms of script and exclusive Pokémon, only with the upgrades afforded by the singular Japanese Blue. You've played a professionally translated and localized Green - it just swapped out a green cartridge and Venusaur for blue and Blastoise. Again, that's the thing. You'd be playing something you've already played, just with a different cover Pokémon.

Maybe you guys do have a point and a big reason I wanted to own/play the game was a novelty.
But more so for the chance to finally get this bad boy
Spr_1g_003.png

Missing out on this sprite was the biggest crime of not bringing Green to us. Even worse than leaving out Mew.

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
Maybe you guys do have a point and a big reason I wanted to own/play the game was a novelty.
But more so for the chance to finally get this bad boy.

Missing out on this sprite was the biggest crime of not bringing Green to us. Even worse than leaving out Mew.

I agree. They could have at least released a Green version with the original graphics worldwide, with a bit of changes in the Wild Pokemon (like they did in JPN Blue)... but... Nintendo had to make it Japan-only and thus hundreds of people in the West got dissapointed of this. Guess we'll never see Pokemon with Green graphics in all their glory...

BCVM22

They could have at least released a Green version with the original graphics worldwide, with a bit of changes in the Wild Pokemon (like they did in JPN Blue)...

We keep going in circles here. Sure, they could have done that, but why would they have gone to the trouble of reprogramming and producing a translation for what is literally an inferior version of the product they chose to release? It doesn't make any sense.

Nintendo had to make it Japan-only and thus hundreds of people in the West got dissapointed of this. Guess we'll never see Pokemon with Green graphics in all their glory...

They didn't "make it" Japan-only. They kept it Japan-only, making the wise decision to release a superior product instead.

One hopes those hundreds of people are able to get over it. And even that number is probably an overstatement of the people actually disappointed by this non-issue.

Vroomer

I wouldn't be so sure of yourself. The 3DS Virtual Console has been out for five years now, and we only just now got these games. The only reason we got Red, Blue, and Yellow was because of the anniversary. Without such an excuse in the future Game Freak may feel they have no real reason to release Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Hopefully the $$$$$ from B/R/Y will make them get a little fire under their butts to get G/S/C to the VC...

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
The main thing holding back RBY was the Link Cable emulation; I'd imagine that they'd be able to use that emulation for GSC as well, now that they've developed it.

That said, I wouldn't expect anything about GSC in the immediate future. Give RBY time to simmer, y'know?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Hopefully the $$$$$ from B/R/Y will make them get a little fire under their butts to get G/S/C to the VC...

The same money (if not more) was dangling in front of them for Virtual Console releases of the Kanto games as well, but that didn't offer them any encouragement up until now.

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
Yes, the glitches like the Mew glitch, Missingno., etc. still work.

Missingno is STILL in Yellow, but has to be encountered in an extremely complicated way. I was able to multiply Rare Candies, Master Balls and Nuggets... but only once for each due to the difficulty level of the glitch...

EDIT - Did anyone noticed the somehow bad recolor of Jynx's sprite in Yellow? They removed the black skin and put a lavender one instead, but one of my pals who's a custom spriter said the Jynx sprite was edited in a "MS Paint n00b style"

Last edited:

jvl

Slug Nation

Not that they should but they could even up the price, I'd be happy to pay 12-14 for Silver & Crystal.
I already bought Red but I think I'll buy Yellow as well since you might be right and the more sales they manage to get with these games could influence whether or not they decide to release G/S/C.
Still not definite they're ever gonna release them, but IMO they'd be insane not to.

The main thing holding back RBY was the Link Cable emulation; I'd imagine that they'd be able to use that emulation for GSC as well, now that they've developed it.

That said, I wouldn't expect anything about GSC in the immediate future. Give RBY time to simmer, y'know?

You have a point, even if they do decide to release it, it probably won't be for a long while.

Has anyone attempted the Mew glitch? Does it work in the digital download versions still?

I can also confirm that the Mew glitch works, haven't tested any others though.
/
Does anyone know if the Q glitch to merge Pokemon in Yellow works?

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
Thought I'd post this story: Last week, I saw my little cousins (ages 7 & 10) for the first time in a while. They're both into Pokemon and always show their XY/ORAS games to my sister and me, but last week they were showing off their VC copies of RBY. They were really excited about playing the games and my younger cousin was very enthusiastic about his Charmeleon.

They were also aware of the glitches and old rumours about these games. For example, they knew about Missingno. and gave me a detailed explanation about how to catch Mew under the truck.

So yeah, it was cool seeing how the VC releases can introduce younger players to these games.

Vroomer

Thought I'd post this story: Last week, I saw my little cousins (ages 7 & 10) for the first time in a while. They're both into Pokemon and always show their XY/ORAS games to my sister and me, but last week they were showing off their VC copies of RBY. They were really excited about playing the games and my younger cousin was very enthusiastic about his Charmeleon.

They were also aware of the glitches and old rumours about these games. For example, they knew about Missingno. and gave me a detailed explanation about how to catch Mew under the truck.

So yeah, it was cool seeing how the VC releases can introduce younger players to these games.

Make sure they use strength to move the truck... ;)

jvl

Slug Nation

yeah same, I completely understand, my little bro had so far only played X, White, ORAS & some of the mystery dungeon games but since RBY have been on the VC he's been extremely enthusiastic & excited about his Pokemon Yellow.

I don't know if any of you guys are using a DV calculator but I know I am. So far Ive got a lot of flawless/ near flawless pokemon and its pretty easy since DVs only go to 15. I just caught a kangaskhan the other night with a 14/15/15/15/15 spread which is VERY lucky considering you can barely catch the damn thing. Love it. Anyways, heres One of 2 DV calculators I use http://degraiver.deviantart.com/art/Pkmn-RBY-Stat-Calculator-V-0-9-82964356 I like this one the most but I also occasionally use another DV calculator from 2nd gen to double check my stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.