1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Red, Blue and Yellow on 3DS Virtual Console - Discussion

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by Pokemon Power, Nov 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nockturne

Nockturne Well-Known Member

Well with R/B/Y they only had an assumption that it would make money, and had no clear idea of exactly how well it would do. And then they also had to factor in whether it would do so well that it would cover the cost of finding a work around for trading problem. So its understandable from a business point of view why they waited till a special occasion to put them on the VC to maximize the chance of success.

But now they have answers to both those questions and I would assume it wouldn't be too hard to get the trade fix to work with G/S/C so I think its a given we'll get them eventually, but not for a while. I just hope we don't have to wait for the 20th anniversary of G/S in 2019 to get them

2. Indalo6

Indalo6 New Member

Pokemon Blue is the first video game of any kind I can remember playing so it's pretty amazing being able to go back and play through it again! Currently working my way through Silph Co. After i beat the Elite Four (which will be a while with college and work haha) I'm going to go and play Yellow, which I never owned growing up. Then I'll look forward to Pokemon Sun and Moon, as well as hope that G/S/C will make their way onto the VC in the not so distant future!

3. Hey, guys. I just want to know the reason Pokémon cannot be transferred from the Virtual Console-based version of Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to Pokémon X and via the Pokémon Bank?

4. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

There are problems that come from transferring Pokemon from a game with outdated mechanics to games with modern mechanics. They're incompatible. Presumably Sun and Moon will somehow fix this.

5. Pokemon Power

Pokemon Power Well-Known Member

Made it to Celadon City at last!! I've seen 71 Pokemon and caught 38.

EDIT: Well, today's the day. I thank you all for posting your comments. And I now ask for someone to help me lock up this thread.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  6. TheJLeeTeam

TheJLeeTeam JLeeTeam

Let me be honest. I couldn't get into Red and Blue on the Virtual Console. I bought the special edition 3DS but I still couldn't get into Red and Blue. I mainly got that new 3DS because I wanted that model for a while and I wanted to support Game Freak and the Pokémon Company. I did also buy Yellow and I played through Yellow and I enjoyed it but Red & Blue just don't do it for me.

I just don't have much nostalgia for Red & Blue, however I do have some nostalgia for Yellow. The first Pokémon games I owned were FireRed & LeafGreen, and then I played Yellow. Shortly after I played those I found Red & Blue used and I was disappointed. I was really young during Gen 1 and 2, and I didn't experience the games until Gen 3. So I'm a Gen 3 kid and mostly grew up with that gen instead

So I just prefer FireRed & LeafGreen over Red & Blue. In Red & Blue there was no color, there was not much post game content, the movesets were lackluster, and I don't like the sprites. I do enjoy Yellow because it's unique and has improvements, and I love FireRed & LeafGreen because of better movesets, more content, better graphics, faster gameplay, etc. When I tried playing Blue on Virtual Console, I stopped caring before the 1st badge. I know a lot of people who are veterans of Red & Blue were disappointed with FRLG but I still prefer it over the originals. I also have a hard time getting into GSC nowadays because of the shorter battery life and inability to transfer to Gen 3 so I also prefer HGSS to GSC.

I never liked Red & Blue and they are easily my least favorite games in the series. I respect them because it is what started Pokémon, but they just don't do it for me. They are still good games so no offense to anyone nostalgic over them or still likes them. I do like Yellow, FRLG, and some of the spin offs from Gen 1 but that's it.

7. Pokemon Power

This thread should've been closed by now.

8. Aquarelle

Aquarelle Well-Known Member Staff Member

Sorry, but there's no reason for us to close this thread. This thread hasn't reached the two month bump limit and is a good central place for people to discuss the VC release of these games. So, this thread will stay open.

Getting back on topic now:
    After playing the VC Red & Blue (still need to get around to Yellow), I'd have to say that I really enjoy playing the games on 3DS. Since the 3DS is what I'm playing the most these days, it's nice to have the games right there for me to play whenever I want.

9. Pokemon Power

All right all right. In that case, how about we discuss how far each of us have gotten on clearing the Pokedex. I've seen 104 Pokemon and caught 63 on Red.

10. TheJLeeTeam

TheJLeeTeam JLeeTeam

I have owned over Pokémon 60 in Yellow. I still haven't evolved a lot of them.

11. Doomdour

Doomdour Color Ball Collector

Yellow: Own 45, seen 86... don't really have the motivation right now to do a whole lot with the dex.

12. Aquarelle

Aquarelle Well-Known Member Staff Member

I just got my Blue Pokedex to 118 owned. I'm slowly working towards completing it - this will be my first time completing the dex on a Gen I game.
    Most of the Pokemon I'm missing are evolutions or Red exclusives I haven't traded for yet.

13. TokoyamiTheDark

TokoyamiTheDark The Purple Karakasa

Finally caught all 151 Pokémon on my Yellow version. I'm so glad, but I still need to complete Red and Blue. I only need to evolve the Pokémon that evolve via trading and a few more.

14. TheJLeeTeam

TheJLeeTeam JLeeTeam

Considering the Mew Glitch still works, It might be possible that Pokémon Bank will block Mew. It might not happen but I expect it to be possible.

15. TokoyamiTheDark

TokoyamiTheDark The Purple Karakasa

That would be great, since I DON'T want to see MissingNo in the Bank... Unless it "evolves" into either Rhydon or Kangaskhan, a raw Glitch like MissingNo shouldn't find its way into Sun/Moon... knowing how they could screw up data in the Red/Blue versions...

16. Mega Missingno

Mega Missingno Active Member

That would be a dick move, for those of us who couldn't get the recent Game Stop Mew event before they ran out. (Not talking about Europe, since you lcky bastards got your Mew redistributed months after the initial event)
    My g1 Mew had better stay a MEW! since gthe U.S. Fans pretty much got screwed over on an official Mew release

17. Pokemon Power

So, right now I'm at Silph Co. stopping Team Rocket, and I have five badges. How far have you gotten?

18. totaltrubbish

totaltrubbish Member

I just beat the elite four last night, just gotta get around to picking up zapdos and mewtwo. This was a great walk down memory lane!

I'm super curious how tranfers will work, I realize now a couple of my pokemon did get gendered nicknames that could be completely wrong, but hey, I've known cats that have been in that same situation and didn't seem to mind lol

19. Ichneumon

Ichneumon Active Member

I am really enjoying the virtual console version of Red. I am about to go enter the Rock Tunnel with a team consisting of three Pokemon: a pikachu, a gyarados en a charizard. The Charizard knows the following moves: scratch, seismic toss, dig and ember. I really like using non-fire moves and unconventional strategies for my charizard. I'm soo going to teach it toxic. :p

20. AlchemistAzure

AlchemistAzure Well-Known Member

Since this is a discussion thread for the Gen 1 Re-releases I have a question about an old rumor. Was hoping if anyone knew if it was true.

The rumor is as follows: In Pokemon Yellow, there is a mini-game that you can play if Pikachu knows Surf. The issue is that Pikachu can't learn this move. In order to have Pikachu be able to learn Surf, you had to defeat the Elite 4 and Champion using only your Pikachu. (And I assume this means you can't have anything else on your team to switch out to if Pikachu faints)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.