• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Red, Blue and Yellow on 3DS Virtual Console - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Since this is a discussion thread for the Gen 1 Re-releases I have a question about an old rumor. Was hoping if anyone knew if it was true.

The rumor is as follows: In Pokemon Yellow, there is a mini-game that you can play if Pikachu knows Surf. The issue is that Pikachu can't learn this move. In order to have Pikachu be able to learn Surf, you had to defeat the Elite 4 and Champion using only your Pikachu. (And I assume this means you can't have anything else on your team to switch out to if Pikachu faints)

This is definitely not true.
Surf on Pikachu was a prize from Pokemon Stadium.

However, you should note that one of the changes made to the VC release of Yellow is that you can play the Surfing minigame without Surf on your Pikachu as there's no way to connect the VC releases to Stadium.

jabber2033

Currently playing through Red. Team consists of Level 21 Charmeleon, Level 19 Pikachu, Level 19 Spearow, Level 18 Mew (did the glitch at Cerulean), Level 18 Oddish. I want everything to hit 20 before I fight misty.

Blaze990

I forgot how hard Gen 1 games were! Currently playing yellow... I thought Sabrina was before Koga and fought her first. I have a question though... I need a good training spot... my pokemon are currently under-levelled (10 levels below the gym leader's pokemon).

epicgordan

I forgot how hard Gen 1 games were! Currently playing yellow... I thought Sabrina was before Koga and fought her first. I have a question though... I need a good training spot... my pokemon are currently under-levelled (10 levels below the gym leader's pokemon).

Go to Diglett's Cave and train there. The Diglett and Dugtrio offer up some very good experience points, it's relatively easy to access, and every step can trigger a random encounter. That's pretty much how I trained my Dratini into a Dragonair in time for the big push when I first played these games long ago. Now, I pretty much exploit glitches in order to obtain all 151 of my Pokémon, and have now gotten the road to a complete Pokedex down pat in Blue and Yellow versions (Red is a tricky case because of Bellsprout and Sandshrew, but I'm looking into it). That's not important; prior to getting Surf and getting reaching Indigo Plateau, Diglett's Cave is the best grinding spot there is. I still grind up my Lapras close to level 40 over there.

Squirtlemasterr

I started yesterday and I was curious about trading. I am guessing that it's not possible, but who knows these days. So Infigured this is the place to ask. Can you trade with other players using this version?

Thepowaofhax

As someone who has never played Gen 1 before, going through Yellow and Red was quite a blast even with their problems. I'm also glad that we'll be able to transfer VC Gen 1 to Sun and Moon, as this gives further incentive after beating the game and catching the Birds/Mewtwo to play it. Why exactly? I'm sure there are people such as me hunting for every possible Gen 1 exclusive move, such as Pay Day Mankey or Tri-Attack Drowzee, for their Gen 7 team.

I might restart my Red save to do a monotype run, so wish me luck.

I started yesterday and I was curious about trading. I am guessing that it's not possible, but who knows these days. So Infigured this is the place to ask. Can you trade with other players using this version?
You can trade through wireless/infrared.

Squirtlemasterr

As someone who has never played Gen 1 before, going through Yellow and Red was quite a blast even with their problems. I'm also glad that we'll be able to transfer VC Gen 1 to Sun and Moon, as this gives further incentive after beating the game and catching the Birds/Mewtwo to play it. Why exactly? I'm sure there are people such as me hunting for every possible Gen 1 exclusive move, such as Pay Day Mankey or Tri-Attack Drowzee, for their Gen 7 team.

I might restart my Red save to do a monotype run, so wish me luck.

You can trade through wireless/infrared.

Oh? With whom?

SlimeStack

I'm playing Blue (JP) right now. If we're able to keep gen 1-exclusive moves after transferring them to Sun/Moon, which TMs should I keep an eye out for? Inventory space is too limited here for me to just collect them all, so...

Thepowaofhax

I'm playing Blue (JP) right now. If we're able to keep gen 1-exclusive moves after transferring them to Sun/Moon, which TMs should I keep an eye out for? Inventory space is too limited here for me to just collect them all, so...

This mainly depends on if you want to do competitive stuff, but I can give you a list of definite TMs to keep and clone.
TM49 (Tri-Attack) - Some prominent special attackers do get this TM in their movepool. Examples include Alakazam and Staryu.
TM27 (Fissure) - No-Guard Machamp and Mind Reader Poliwrath would be prominent users of this move.
TM22 (Solar Beam) - Oddly enough, Lapras can learn Solar Beam in gen 1 and not in any other game.
TM17 (Submission) - A lot of Pokemon get access to this move only in gen 1. As a general rule, any non-Fighting-type gets it only in gen 1.
TM21 (Mega Drain) - Albeit weak, some Pokemon only get it in gen 1 such as Butterfree, Arbok and Gengar.
TM16 (Pay Day) - A few Pokemon such as Pikachu and Mankey only get this in gen 1.
TM04 (Whirlwind) - I'd recommend giving this to Zapdos as it could use it in Gen 7 for general phazing,

These are some of them, I think there's a few more though.

Pokemon Power

Well, I cleared Red's story!! I'm gonna start Blue momentarily, but first I'm gonna try to complete the Pokedex. I've caught 123 so far. I just need to catch a Scyther in the Safari Zone, get enough coins at the Celadon Game Corner to purchase a Porygon, catch another Ponyta to evolve into Rapidash, catch a third Dratini to evolve all the way into a Dragonite, and find a trading partner with Blue to evolve my Machoke, Kadabra and Graveler, and get some Blue version exclusives. As for the remaining starter Pokemon, plus Hitmonchan and the remaining three fossil Pokemon, I'm gonna only hope that Stadium 1 comes to the Wii U VC.

Last edited:

SlimeStack

This mainly depends on if you want to do competitive stuff, but I can give you a list of definite TMs to keep and clone.
TM49 (Tri-Attack) - Some prominent special attackers do get this TM in their movepool. Examples include Alakazam and Staryu.
TM27 (Fissure) - No-Guard Machamp and Mind Reader Poliwrath would be prominent users of this move.
TM22 (Solar Beam) - Oddly enough, Lapras can learn Solar Beam in gen 1 and not in any other game.
TM17 (Submission) - A lot of Pokemon get access to this move only in gen 1. As a general rule, any non-Fighting-type gets it only in gen 1.
TM21 (Mega Drain) - Albeit weak, some Pokemon only get it in gen 1 such as Butterfree, Arbok and Gengar.
TM16 (Pay Day) - A few Pokemon such as Pikachu and Mankey only get this in gen 1.
TM04 (Whirlwind) - I'd recommend giving this to Zapdos as it could use it in Gen 7 for general phazing,

These are some of them, I think there's a few more though.

Thanks! I'll definitely look into Tri-Attack, Fissure and Submission. Whirlwind Zapdos might be a tough one since more than likely the transfer system will randomize its nature and stuff. I think what I'll do is hang onto the TM and leave Zapdos uncaught and then I can prepare accordingly when the transfer mechanics are known.

Pokemon Power

Man, it's frustrating when you know that Gamestop is doing a Pokemon event and you see it as the perfect opportunity to get someone to help you out with evolving your Graveler, Machoke and Kadabra in Red, but when you show up at three different Gamestop stores, no one else has a 3DS to help you do it, not even the workers.

Strytho

Tactical Breeder
has anyone had problems trading on the virtual console games? For some reason me and two others have tried to trade and we can't trade with anyone. We keep the 2ds's on flat level surfaces very close to each other in rooms without a lot of interference and the connects still seem to collapse every time without any trades going through. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Tomorrow is the big day. I start Pokemon Yellow version.

Currently playing through Red. Team consists of Level 21 Charmeleon, Level 19 Pikachu, Level 19 Spearow, Level 18 Mew (did the glitch at Cerulean), Level 18 Oddish. I want everything to hit 20 before I fight misty.

Nice! That is impressive, You must have trained quite a bit at Viridian Forest. I want to do the same thing because Gary was really strong when you battle him on nugget bridge in Cerulean. I'm trying to do a no faint Pokemon run but it takes quite a bit of training. Thanks for inspiring me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Eeviil

This is definitely not true.
Surf on Pikachu was a prize from Pokemon Stadium.

However, you should note that one of the changes made to the VC release of Yellow is that you can play the Surfing minigame without Surf on your Pikachu as there's no way to connect the VC releases to Stadium.

Yeah, playing the VC Yellow reminded me how horrible it was to rearrange your pokemon in the boxes until Stadium came out. I sure hope they release a version of Stadium on the 3DS VC that can read your cartridges. We already know you can transfer pokemon to Sun/Moon in the Box, but I don't think you'll be able to transfer them back.

You can also get a Surf Pikachu from Pokemon Box Ruby & Sapphire if you fill up the whole thing (except one spot) with pokemon all from the same trainer.

Don't forget you can store Items in your PC as well, in (TainerName)'s PC. Also, another thing that needs a VC compatible Stadium. It was really nice storing extra crap on the console instead of the gameboy.

Last edited by a moderator:

LiamJ

Trying to complete the Pokedex for the first time ever. I've played every game since the original release but never made it - usually because I could never find anyone to trade and got bored of hunting people down willing to trade.

116 caught! The only one I'm worried about is the two Eevee evolutions I don't have but I'll figure it out.

Currently grinding for a Dratini evolution, and a Tentacool.

Pokemon Power

Trying to complete the Pokedex for the first time ever. I've played every game since the original release but never made it - usually because I could never find anyone to trade and got bored of hunting people down willing to trade.

116 caught! The only one I'm worried about is the two Eevee evolutions I don't have but I'll figure it out.

Currently grinding for a Dratini evolution, and a Tentacool.

I'm still aiming for Dragonite and Porygon. Plus all but three of the Blue exclusives.

600th post by the way. The question is, "How do you think the transfer process from Red, Blue and Yellow to Sun and Moon will work?"

Status
Not open for further replies.