• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Red in SSBB: Please Read

jellsprout

I could post a huge essay about why Red shouldn't be in SSBB, but I'll just put a summary of it here:

1. Like the name says, Pokémon is about Pokémon. If the trainers were meant to be important, the name would be "Pokémon Trainers". The game is all about Pokémon. You battle with Pokémon, you explore the regions with Pokémon, you collect Pokémon. All a trainer does is walking from place to place, but he off course has to use Pokémon to get to certain places, and he throws a Pokéball from time to time. That's it. A trainer may throw the Pokéball, but it's the Pokémon that weakens the opponent in so they can get caught. During a battle, all a trainer does is sitting on his *** and letting his slave pets fight untill they faint.
That said, SSB is a fighting game. How the hell is a character who let's his pets fight for him able to get into a fighting game?
2. The Pokémon are the important aspect of the games, not the trainers. If you remove the trainers from the games, the games may not be as popular now. If you removed the Pokémon from the games, the games wouldn't exist now. If you remove the Pokémon, you get some sort of real-life sim. If you remove the trainers, the games probably wouldn't change all that much.
3. SSBB has limited room. In his list, Bulk showed us that very few Pokémon are able to get into SSBB. And in my oppinion, Bulk has been too generous for Pokémon. Pokémon will probably get two new characters, three if Pichu ditched. That is too little for all the Pokémon that are currently requested for SSBB. I mean, at the SSBB topic we are currently debating if Blaziken should be in there! So what chance does Red really have.
Does any of you honestly think Red is able to claim on of the two or three spots when he is competing with Deoxys, Lucario, Meowth, Blaziken, Sceptile, Plusle&Minun, Weevil, Munchlax, Clefairy, Charizard and Raichu?

Read that, my previous post that contains my Red movelist and try to say again that Red should be in SSBB.

leafgreen386

no troll
tl;dr

Not only will this not influence any decisions made about the game, I couldn't care less who is in it as long as they keep all the characters from ssbm.

Deku Boy

Brilliant strategy, post bad points, but make them sound absolute. Nice.

For number one, you repetedly say "you". But who are "you". You are a trainer. The concept of the games depends on trainers as much as it does pokémon, or else it would be something else entirely. You want to get technical with the names, Red had his whole game named after him. Pokémon Red. :p

You think the game would still exist without trainers? How could an important part of the essential concept of a game be removed, yet the game itself remains mostly unaffected? I don't think it could, but, you think what you want.

With limited space, don't you think we should try representing something new in the series instead of just expanding pokémon representation? And what exactly does your moveset prove except that you aren't very creative?

With that, I'll say again, I think Red should be in SSBB.

BTW-Bulk, I found a flaw. Lucas from Mother 3 should be in instead of Poo. Mother 3 is the tremendously awaited revival of the Mother series, and Lucas, as the main character, would be an obivous choice to fight alongside Ness.

Sakurai also stated that he didn't want to seem proud and include too many of his own characters, so Dedede isn't likely. Aside from this stuff, a major overdose on weird LoZ characters(and you didn't even include Vaati o_O), Baby Mario & Luigi, and Meowth, that's a pretty good list, I guess. <_<;

Flaws: 5 that I felt like mentioning

Pokemaníaco Desesperado

Normal Coordinator
If you can find a fault in this list with a valid reason that I can't disclaim, I don't see how Red can get in.
I can't see Midna and WolfLink working well in spite of their popularity, but, meh, that's not even a reason.
Then, Skull Kid... what will he do? transforming characters into babiies or dekus?
Now I'm worried about Zelda's moves and Sheik. They've changed Link to the new one, will they change Zelda too? will they add more than one? (that's something I'd like even more than Red, but...).
Meowth... well, he is very popular, but he'd be pretty weakk andd his only long range attack would be pay day. Is that really needed?
Now Ridley. It'd be a good character. Problem is WAY big to fit well in the game, and his attacks are too fast, but I won't discard him as a final boss like giga Boowser or Master hand.
About 41... I have no comments for that, a reserved place doesn't look right to me.
Finally those thirrd party ones... well, Solid is a special case, we don't know if there'll be anymore.

Yeah, I haven't given good reasons, nor have I seen better ones against Red, though.
. Like the name says, Pokémon is about Pokémon. If the trainers were meant to be important, the name would be "Pokémon Trainers". The game is all about Pokémon. You battle with Pokémon, you explore the regions with Pokémon, you collect Pokémon. All a trainer does is walking from place to place, but he off course has to use Pokémon to get to certain places, and he throws a Pokéball from time to time. That's it. A trainer may throw the Pokéball, but it's the Pokémon that weakens the opponent in so they can get caught. During a battle, all a trainer does is sitting on his *** and letting his slave pets fight untill they faint.
Then I guess The Legend of Zelda is just about Zelda, and never about Link, or Metroid about the parasites, never about Samus, etc. Pokémon is about creatures AND humans, you can't have one without the other and still have the franchise pokémono is today, as well as you can't have Metroid without metroids and TLoZ without Zelda... well, we can, but those are exceptions (and not in favour of the title holder). In main RPGs, it doesn't matter if you have X or Y pokémon, it won't affect your game at all, but if you talk with A or B person, the game will change and you'll advance. Without humans, all we'd have to day is Mysterious Dungeon.
That said, SSB is a fighting game. How the hell is a character who let's his pets fight for him able to get into a fighting game?
I'm sure that Bruno, Chuck and some others can give a good beating to many SSB characters.

About the next two points, well, pretty much what I've said from a different viewpoint.
And I strongly disagree with that thing abouut the game being just a little changed wwithout humaans. RPGs aren't just about battles, you know. There are many of us who wouldn't play pokémon without humans. Heck, looking at fan media, there are as many, if not more, fictional humans than fictional pokémon.
Does any of you honestly think Red is able to claim on of the two or three spots when he is competing with Deoxys, Lucario, Meowth, Blaziken, Sceptile, Plusle&Minun, Weevil, Munchlax, Clefairy, Charizard and Raichu?
Against Lucarioo, Blaziken and maybe plusle&minun nnot, but agaiinst all the others, in the way Deku boy described him, yes.
Read that, my previous post that contains my Red movelist and try to say again that Red should be in SSBB.
That list was pure rubbish, I'll keep with Deku boy's one which also makes sense and fits SSB well. So I say it again: Red should be in SSBB.

Slots is the only problem, not Red himself.

Last edited:

Seijiro Mafuné

Diogomainardista!
And for the guy who said 'trained fighters'... Ness. He was JUST A RANDOM KID with psychic powers. Mr. Game and Watch. He's technically just as equal as Red, by your comments.

Sorry, but your comment is made of pha1l. Don't pass Go or collect 200 dollars.

As for the original post... well, even though I'm not holding my breath, I have to say this... great character. I think the division is a bit unbalanced or something, unless 2/5 is supposed to be 'average'.

Else, good. Makes me wish someone'd make a MUGEN version of him...

jellsprout

Yeah, I haven't given good reasons, nor have I seen better ones against Red, though.
Then I guess The Legend of Zelda is just about Zelda, and never about Link, or Metroid about the parasites, never about Samus, etc. Pokémon is about creatures AND humans, you can't have one without the other and still have the franchise pokémono is today, as well as you can't have Metroid without metroids and TLoZ without Zelda... well, we can, but those are exceptions (and not in favour of the title holder).

Actually, yes. The Legend of Zelda is about the legend of Zelda. Metroid is about the Metroids.

In main RPGs, it doesn't matter if you have X or Y pokémon, it won't affect your game at all, but if you talk with A or B person, the game will change and you'll advance. Without humans, all we'd have to day is Mysterious Dungeon.
I'm sure that Bruno, Chuck and some others can give a good beating to many SSB characters.

That most RPG's are like that, but not Pokémon. The only NPC you have to talk to is the professor at the start of the game and you may count the characters who give you HM's. But that still is very few. In Pokémon, the main aspect of the game is battling and collecting Pokémon, not talking to some random guy on the corner. That is different from other RPG's like Golden Sun. In Golden Sun, the story and the NPC's are more important than the battles. That is not the case with Pokémon.
And also, then include Bruno or Chuck in the game. But not some weak ten year with no special abilities.
You can have Pokémon without the trainers, like Mysterious Dungeon. You could even turn that into a Gym quest. But you can not have Pokémon without the Pokémon. That would be some lame real-life sim.

About the next two points, well, pretty much what I've said from a different viewpoint.
And I strongly disagree with that thing abouut the game being just a little changed wwithout humaans. RPGs aren't just about battles, you know. There are many of us who wouldn't play pokémon without humans. Heck, looking at fan media, there are as many, if not more, fictional humans than fictional pokémon.

No, regular RPG's aren't about battles. Pokémon isn't a regular RPG. All you do in the game is for the battling. There are nearly no important NPC's that you didn't have to fight beforehand, there is nothing that doesn't have to do with battling. Even the catching part has to do with battling.
And there is a large difference between Fan-fics and games. The games are purely about Pokémon.

Against Lucarioo, Blaziken and maybe plusle&minun nnot, but agaiinst all the others, in the way Deku boy described him, yes.

Please, stop talking. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
Deoxys is nearly sure to get in. Meowth, being the main villain Pokémon, also as a very, very large fanbase. Munchlax and Weevil are two of the mascots of the fourth gen. Since advertisement has happened before in SSBM, they are likely. Charizard is the most popular Pokémon. In Japan, there was a tossup between Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Clefairy to be the main Pokémon in the anime. Clefairy is very popular in Japan. Raichu is Pikachu's evolution. He has a big chance to get in the game some way or another.
Look, if you don't know anything about SSB and what characters are suited for it, don't talk on a topic like this. Otherwise you will just look as stupid as you look now.

Slots is the only problem, not Red himself.

And just that problem will make sure Red won't get in. There is a maximum of three Pokémon slots. If there even is debate on the SSBB topic if Blaziken should get one of them, what chances does Red really have.

Brilliant strategy, post bad points, but make them sound absolute. Nice.

I could say the same thing about you. Great reasoning, wrong character. Posting the same reason five times may work in the eyes of someone who doesn't look beyond the size of the post, but it doesn't work against someone who as experienced in these kind of discussions like me.

For number one, you repetedly say "you". But who are "you". You are a trainer. The concept of the games depends on trainers as much as it does pokémon, or else it would be something else entirely. You want to get technical with the names, Red had his whole game named after him. Pokémon Red. :p

For number one, the character is you. Red was the person from the manga and the strongest opponent in G/S/C/Stadium2. The main character of R/G/B/Y is you. That is why you are able to choose your own name at the start of the game.
Trainers aren't nearly as important as the Pokémon. You fight with Pokémon, you catch with Pokémon, you catch Pokémon and you explore with Pokémon. The trainers do near nothing in this game.
And the game wasn't named after Red, Red was named after the game.

You think the game would still exist without trainers? How could an important part of the essential concept of a game be removed, yet the game itself remains mostly unaffected? I don't think it could, but, you think what you want.

Mysterious Dungeon like. You are a Pokémon, you set up a group and explore the lands while battling other groups of Pokémon. The essence of the game is practically unchanged.

With limited space, don't you think we should try representing something new in the series instead of just expanding pokémon representation? And what exactly does your moveset prove except that you aren't very creative?

No. With limited space, the characters who are wanted and who are suitable for SSBB should be included. Not some ten year old with nothing special. Ness had special powers. Young Link had a large arsenal of weapons and was the Hero of Time. All Red has is a bike. He is not an expert in martial arts, he doesn't have a sword, he doesn't have any special powers. So how are you supposed to fill up 14 different A moves with nothing?

Sakurai also stated that he didn't want to seem proud and include too many of his own characters, so Dedede isn't likely.

Sakurai stated that this was going to be the last SSB he would be working on, so this would be his game. He will include his favorites.

Pokemaníaco Desesperado

Normal Coordinator
Actually, yes. The Legend of Zelda is about the legend of Zelda. Metroid is about the Metroids.
The legend of Zelda: Link's awakening. Let me see how many times does Zelda appear... oh, yeah, once, just mentioned by Marin.
Metroid Prime: hunters. Let's see... well, if you do count quatroids...
That most RPG's are like that, but not Pokémon. The only NPC you have to talk to is the professor at the start of the game and you may count the characters who give you HM's. But that still is very few. In Pokémon, the main aspect of the game is battling and collecting Pokémon, not talking to some random guy on the corner. That is different from other RPG's like Golden Sun. In Golden Sun, the story and the NPC's are more important than the battles. That is not the case with Pokémon.
Try not to talk to Saffron guards. Try not to talk to Mr Fuji. Try not to resolve the easy puzzles. Try not to talk with Bill. Try not to talk to Mr Pokémon. Try not to get the togepi egg. Try not to pick the watering can. Etc. Etc. Etc You won't complete the game.
Now try not to catch any pokémon. Hardly, but you can still pass through the game. Try to fight as less as possible. You still can pass through.
And also, then include Bruno or Chuck in the game. But not some weak ten year with no special abilities.
As if those two were as porpular as Red. Once againn, Red hasn't got less special abilities than other characters.
No, regular RPG's aren't about battles. Pokémon isn't a regular RPG. All you do in the game is for the battling.
Wrong. You don't fight more in pokémon than in other RPGGs. As you know, every RPG has mandatory battles. You always know that sooner or later you'll fight, and that before the end of the game you'll have a big batttle. How is that different to pokémon? Heck, I've seen many RPGs with less sidequests than pokémon.
there is nothing that doesn't have to do with battling
Contests. Safari zone. Secret Base making. Lottery. Cassino. Underground world in D/P and many other things.
Deoxys is nearly sure to get in. Meowth, being the main villain Pokémon, also as a very, very large fanbase. Munchlax and Weevil are two of the mascots of the fourth gen. Since advertisement has happened before in SSBM, they are likely. Charizard is the most popular Pokémon. In Japan, there was a tossup between Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Clefairy to be the main Pokémon in the anime. Clefairy is very popular in Japan. Raichu is Pikachu's evolution. He has a big chance to get in the game some way or another.
I've explained meowth disadvantages (SP?) before, I won't repeat that. If he hasn't been added before when mewtwo has, it won't bee added now. About gonbe and manyula, what about 2nd gen? Only 2nd gen pokémon that's in is pichu, and only for the purpose of being a pikachu clone. I bet that gonbe and manyulla will just be pokéball pokémon.
Charizard is the most popular pokémon, why hasn't it been added before? Because it doesn't fit in the SSB fighting esque, that's what pokéball pokémon are for. About clefairy, see meowth. Plus there's no real reason to add him. Raichu hasn't got any chance when both pikachu and pichu are already in.

I KNOW pokémon are the most important part in the franchise, but humanss are a really big part too. Without them, pokémon wouldn't be popular since it completely changes the game. Pokémon is about kids with dreams who use pokéballs to catch their future partners. We aren't asking them to have lots of trainers fighting, we're just asking for humans to have a representation. Humans are verry important to the saga, they deserve at least one spot out of 7 or 8 that are reserved for pokémon. Even pokéballs have made it to the game.
Look, if you don't know anything about SSB and what characters are suited for it, don't talk on a topic like this. Otherwise you will just look as stupid as you look now.
Please, take that argumentum ad homminem back. I know what I'm talking about. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean that I'm wwrong in everything.
And just that problem will make sure Red won't get in. There is a maximum of three Pokémon slots. If there even is debate on the SSBB topic if Blaziken should get one of them, what chances does Red really have.
Can you show me where was that sasid? or is it just mere speculation?
For number one, the character is you. Red was the person from the manga and the strongest opponent in G/S/C/Stadium2. The main character of R/G/B/Y is you. That is why you are able to choose your own name at the start of the game.
Trainers aren't nearly as important as the Pokémon. You fight with Pokémon, you catch with Pokémon, you catch Pokémon and you explore with Pokémon. The trainers do near nothing in this game.
Then I guess that Link never is Link since it is you. You put your name in the file, you go through dungeons to fight bosses, you collect more itemss to have more chances to win.
Mysterious Dungeon like. You are a Pokémon, you set up a group and explore the lands while battling other groups of Pokémon. The essence of the game is practically unchanged.
And still, it wasn't even half as espected as D/P is. Why? Because of humans.
Young Link had a large arsenal of weapons and was the Hero of Time.
Red has a larger arsenal of items that can be used as weapons. And he hasn't received less training than Young Link. BTW Link was put to sleep for many years because he couldn't be the Hero of Time with that age, so technically, Young Link isn't the hero of time.
Sakurai stated that this was going to be the last SSB he would be working on, so this would be his game. He will include his favorites.
Did he say all what is from "so"? If not, then you'd be contradicting him.

Last edited:
How do you know if the hero of FEwii will be a red head?

Oh, and I agree. I want Red in. Don't say he doesn't have a fan base. ZZS got in andnobody wanted her.

Paradox

Irate Pirate
I saw the same post on Nsider forums a few months ago and "Red" just doesn't seem to have the character to make it into Brawl. The character designs in each game are so much different from each other and the whole point of Red not having any character is so the user can impose themselves or a fantasy character on top of the icon, therefore there is no standard character to relate to, everyone's interpretation is different. With the Ocarina there were reactions from Link and he had a more direct involvement in the game, Red could essentially be a big blob wandering around the Pokemon universe, all the player witnesses is him walking around, he doesn't kick, or punch or do anything else so there isn't a basis for a moveset, even the one proposed is made up of mainly Pokemon moves.

The relationship of the game is focussed on the party of pokemon and the gamer rather than Red. The only point for Red being in Pokemon is to provide a vehicle for the Pokemon to move from point to point in, and possibly to provide a character for the user to impose themselves on

Last edited:

Bulk

I can't see Midna and WolfLink working well in spite of their popularity, but, meh, that's not even a reason.
Twilight Pincess is going to be the biggest Zelda game yet and Minda with WolfLink are going to be very important. Plus a 4 legged character would be unique.
Then, Skull Kid... what will he do? transforming characters into babiies or dekus?
Think a little more outside the box. I have personally never played Majora's Mask fully but I'm pretty sure he can adapt moves from others etc.
Now I'm worried about Zelda's moves and Sheik. They've changed Link to the new one, will they change Zelda too? will they add more than one? (that's something I'd like even more than Red, but...).
I've only listed Zelda and Shiek seperatly becuase they always have been two sperate characters. They are even listed speratly in the intruction booklet.
Meowth... well, he is very popular, but he'd be pretty weakk andd his only long range attack would be pay day. Is that really needed?
Remember he could very easily have any weapon Team Rocket came up along with his guitar he's seen playing in the SSBM trophie of him.
Now Ridley. It'd be a good character. Problem is WAY big to fit well in the game, and his attacks are too fast, but I won't discard him as a final boss like giga Boowser or Master hand.
So scaling Bowser down meant nothing to you. And scaling Kirby up from 8 inches means nothing either. They will change his scaling to suit the game.
Finally those thirrd party ones... well, Solid is a special case, we don't know if there'll be anymore.
Sakurai said they'd be around 3 third party characters.

jellsprout

ZSS is a transformation from Samus. Therefore, ZSS doesn't take up a character slot and doesn't count for something like this.

There shouldn't even be a discussion about this. There is even debate if Blaziken should get in or if that spot should go to Meowth. If there is doubt if there is enough room for one of the most requested characters from Pokémon, I don't think Red will get in.

How I know there are three Pokémon slots tops? Try to fill up a SSBB character roster yourself and try to include all popular and likely characters from different series. Also, Pokémon should get the same amount of characters as Legend of Zelda and a little less characters than Mario. And also remember, the amount of characters will probably be 45, 48 or 50. Not more.

For comparison, I'll post the list I created:

Mario:
1. Mario (Dr. Mario will be alternate costume)
2. Luigi
3. Peach (Daisy will be alternate costume)
4. Bowser
5. Baby Bowser&Shadow Mario
6. Toad

Yoshi:
7. Yoshi

Donkey Kong:
8. Donkey Kong
9. Donkey Kong jr.
10. Diddy Kong

F-Zero:
11. Falcon
12. Samurai Goroh

Starfox:
13. Fox
14. Falco
15. Krystal
16. Wolf

Kirby:
17. Kirby
18. Meta Knight
19. Dedede

Zelda:
20. Link/Wolf Link&Minda
21. Young Link (Cell-Shaded Link will be alternate costume)
22. Zelda/Sheik
23. Ganondorf
24. Vaati
25. Skull Kid

Mother/Earthbound:
26. Ness
27. Paula

Pokémon:
28. Pikachu (Pichu will be alternate outfit)
29. Jigglypuff
30. Mewtwo
31. Meowth
32. Deoxys (Each form will be a different alternate outfit)
33. Lucario

Metroid:
34. Samus/Zero Suit Samus (Dark Samus will be alternate outfit)
35. Ridley

Fire Emblem:
36. Eliwood (Roy will be alternate outfit)(Eliwood will have the same stats as Marth)
37. Lyn
38. Ike
39. Sothe

Ice Climbers:
40. Ice Climbers

Mr. Game and Watch:
41. Mr. Game and Watch

Wario:
42. Wario

Kid Icarus:
43. Pit

Animal Crossing:
44. Nook

Pikmin:
45. Olimar

Third Party:
46. Solid Snake
47. Sonic (Shadow and Metal Sonic will be alternate costumes)
48. Megaman

Also remember if there will be another spot in the Pokémon department, it will most likely go to Blaziken, Sceptile or Plusle&Minun.

And where it is being discussed if Blaziken should be in or not, you could find that topic at the top of the page. It is called: "Official Super Smash Brothers Brawl Topic".

Pokemaníaco Desesperado

Normal Coordinator
Twilight Pincess is going to be the biggest Zelda game yet and Minda with WolfLink are going to be very important. Plus a 4 legged character would be unique.
It's that unique-ness what makes it hard for them.
Think a little more outside the box. I have personally never played Majora's Mask fully but I'm pretty sure he can adapt moves from others etc.
Well, I have, and the only things he did were
turning Link into a Deku and Kafei into a kid, hitting people, poluting water through monsters, control biggoron, anger the spirits in Ikana and make the moon fall
, those aren't things you could easily use in battle. Anyways, Majore itself would be easier, since it can shoot, hit and use a top-spin and its ropes. But again, he is too huge.
I've only listed Zelda and Shiek seperatly becuase they always have been two sperate characters. They are even listed speratly in the intruction booklet.
Well, if they didn't, they couldn't explain their stories and movements correctly.
Remember he could very easily have any weapon Team Rocket came up along with his guitar he's seen playing in the SSBM trophie of him.
Yeah, I know that the pokémon part is usually based in the anime,, but withoutt going too far from the games. Meowth using those items would be croossing the line too much.
So scaling Bowser down meant nothing to you. And scaling Kirby up from 8 inches means nothing either. They will change his scaling to suit the game.
Well, Bowser's size changes a lot between games. Soometimes, Mario is near as high as Bowser, while others Bowser is twice the size of Mario.
About Kirby... well, he hasn't been with other characterss before,, so it isn't so strrange. In the other hand, We've seen Ridley with Samus many times, and he is 2-3 times as big as Samus, so seing that he suddenly is about the same size as Samus would be too weird.
Sakurai said they'd be around 3 third party characters.
Oh, well, then I'll shut up.

jellsprout, you're talking about it like if they were facts, but remember that, in spite of how much thought has it been, it's just speculation.

Deku Boy

I could say the same thing about you. Great reasoning, wrong character. Posting the same reason five times may work in the eyes of someone who doesn't look beyond the size of the post, but it doesn't work against someone who as experienced in these kind of discussions like me.

Heh, experience. Right. >_> With some of the remarks you've made on this topic, I'd be surprised if you were even in the second grade yet. Experienced debators don't let bias spoil their arguments

Red is the character from the game. <_< He's appeared in 9 games now, and is soon to appear in PBR. Going by your logic, Ness is me because I get to give him my name and favorite food.

You can't be serious. If you are there is no point in debating with you at all, your bias will blind you to ANYTHING I say.

And the game wasn't named after Red, Red was named after the game.

It was a joke. And a lot of games are named after things other than the protagonist. BTW- I saw your metroid comment, and then completely lost faith in your intelligence. Sorry. >_>

Mysterious, yes, mysterious that this strangely unchanged game's story also focuses around a human. The premise of the game is that you are a human who has been turned into a pokémon. Essentially, you have to temporarily act like a trainer to get your body back. Hmm, so a human trainer has a role here too? Imagine that. Not to mention that this game isn't even canon anyway. -_-;

No. With limited space, the characters who are wanted and who are suitable for SSBB should be included. Not some ten year old with nothing special. Ness had special powers. Young Link had a large arsenal of weapons and was the Hero of Time. All Red has is a bike. He is not an expert in martial arts, he doesn't have a sword, he doesn't have any special powers. So how are you supposed to fill up 14 different A moves with nothing?

Wanted and suitable, two completely opinionated things. Red is perfectly suited in my eyes, but not yours, this is an opinion and is not a valid point. Red isn't a ten year old with nothing special. Red has a large arsenal of highly advanced monster controlling gear. Your ignorance and bias make me laugh. ^_^

BTW- Sakurai was hesitant even to add Metaknight. Even if this is his "last" SSB(And might I remind you, that SSBM was supposed to be his "last" also, IIRC) there's no way he'll put Dedede in.

jellsprout

Heh, experience. Right. >_> With some of the remarks you've made on this topic, I'd be surprised if you were even in the second grade yet. Experienced debators don't let bias spoil their arguments

And this comes from your fingers. You are so biased you think Red has a higher chance to get into SSBB than even Blaziken.
And also, I'm currently fifteen, I'm in the fourth grade (the third last grade where people are 15/16) of a Gymnasium (the hardest school type of the country I live, where Latin and Greek are obliged) and according to the national IQ test, I have an IQ of 135. I also have a debate with my sister ofter about stuff like politics, religion, death penalty and discrimination.
And also, I don't know if you sometimes watch political debates on tv, but there they hardly ever insult eachother.

Red is the character from the game. <_< He's appeared in 9 games now, and is soon to appear in PBR. Going by your logic, Ness is me because I get to give him my name and favorite food.

Ness was the default name if you didn't want to choose your own name. He was also called Ness in instruction manuals. Red had four different names to pick from if you didn't want to pick your own name. Before G/S/C, he was also most often called Ash in instruction manuals.

You can't be serious. If you are there is no point in debating with you at all, your bias will blind you to ANYTHING I say.

Yet you don't even try to proof otherwise. I already gave many, many reasons why trainers aren't nearly as important as Pokémon. I suggest you try to give reasons for why trainers are as important as Pokémon.

It was a joke. And a lot of games are named after things other than the protagonist. BTW- I saw your metroid comment, and then completely lost faith in your intelligence. Sorry. >_>

The makers of Metroid and Zelda tried to make the games more serious and adult. Using the name of the main character, like Mario, gives the game a kiddy image. But using a name like The Legend of Zelda, or using the name of the most important enemy race where the game is all about gives the game a more serious image.

Mysterious, yes, mysterious that this strangely unchanged game's story also focuses around a human. The premise of the game is that you are a human who has been turned into a pokémon. Essentially, you have to temporarily act like a trainer to get your body back. Hmm, so a human trainer has a role here too? Imagine that. Not to mention that this game isn't even canon anyway. -_-;

The story turns around a Pokémon who used to be a human. It doesn't matter what he used to be, it matter that he now is a Pokémon. And you don't have to act like a trainer. You don't catch Pokémon do you? No, you fight Pokémon yourself and try to make them join your group of Pokémon. It doesn't matter that the main character used to be a human, since the main character now is a Pokémon and therefore the game has proven that these games don't need humans to be succesfull.
And canon or not, the game is about purely about Pokémon without trainers and there is no reason you can give against that.

Wanted and suitable, two completely opinionated things. Red is perfectly suited in my eyes, but not yours, this is an opinion and is not a valid point. Red isn't a ten year old with nothing special. Red has a large arsenal of highly advanced monster controlling gear. Your ignorance and bias make me laugh. ^_^

Suitable, not. Wanted, a bit. But not in my case. What I do, is look at what characters are most suggested in different places and most importantly, I look at the reactions to that. Like with Meowth. First, even I didn't think of him. But when he got suggested in the SSBB thread, I saw that everybody, including me, saw what a great character Meowth could be and how gigantic his popularity is. After that, nearly everybody there added Meowth to their wanted list and most people even put him at the top of the wanted Pokémon list.
With Red, on the other hand, when he was suggested everybody unaminous said how he didn't have any potential to being a fighter. Liturally everybody thought he was just a normal human with no special abilities and no fighting skills and that he therefore wasn't suited for a fighting game like SSB. Even Peach has special powers and fought in multiple games before SSBM. Red just lacks the ability to fight.
And you say he has a large arsenal of highly advanced stuff. The only advanced things he has are a Pokéball and a Pokédex. And still, Red can't jump (high), he can't punch or kick, he simply can not battle without his Pokémon. And since it is impossible to let him summon his Pokémon for even the smallest attack, Red can not appear in SSBB.

BTW- Sakurai was hesitant even to add Metaknight. Even if this is his "last" SSB(And might I remind you, that SSBM was supposed to be his "last" also, IIRC) there's no way he'll put Dedede in.

It is funny how you say that I'm biased, while you say that Red, a character that is not popular, not able to fight and heavily critisised every single time he got suggested, is likely to get in, while Dedede, a very popular character, that is very capable of fighting and heavily supported by both the makers and the players of this game, is very unlikely to get in.
Please, try to open your eyes and look at the facts.

Ho-oh Seeker

Ho-oh is the portal
jellsprout said:
And also, I'm currently fifteen, I'm in the fourth grade (the third last grade where people are 15/16) of a Gymnasium (the hardest school type of the country I live, where Latin and Greek are obliged) and according to the national IQ test, I have an IQ of 135. I also have a debate with my sister ofter about stuff like politics, religion, death penalty and discrimination.
And also, I don't know if you sometimes watch political debates on tv, but there they hardly ever insult eachother.
Well aren't we in a show-offy mood today? :p Just kidding.

Anyways, I do see Red being in SSBB, just not as a playable character. Red is more suited to having the status of a boss or cameo appearance (Event Matches anyone?). I don't think Red really has the potential to be a playable character, but the humans SHOULD have some sort of representation, and what I suggested above fits the bill.

Deku Boy, I know you REALLY want Red to be in SSBB, but face it, it just isn't likely he'll show up as a playable character.

bigboss1022

id rather play as trhe pokemon themselves i mean where else caan you do that

Deku Boy

And this comes from your fingers. You are so biased you think Red has a higher chance to get into SSBB than even Blaziken.

Words in my mouth. I've never even said Red has a small chance, let alone a great one. In fact, I don't think that he has much of a chance at all. Characters that people support don't necessarily have to have the best chance. There is a difference between saying he "should be" in and he "will be" in. <_<

I wasn't talking about your intelligence, I was talking about your attitude. You came in here right off the bat and started saying I was wrong about things I never even said. They never insult each other, eh? Then why did you insult Pokemanêaco Desesperado? If you would have just posted your reasons in a nice way, not acting as if your word is absolute, we wouldn't even be debating right now. I'm alright with people having different opinions than mine, as long as they can be civil about it and not act like a petulant little kid.

Ness was the default name if you didn't want to choose your own name. He was also called Ness in instruction manuals. Red had four different names to pick from if you didn't want to pick your own name. Before G/S/C, he was also most often called Ash in instruction manuals.

There were many default names for Ness, Ness was just the first one it would choose, just as Red was the first available one in Pokémon Red. Red wasn't called anything in the instruction manual, and some of the strategy guides called him Ash because his name hadn't become canon yet.

Yet you don't even try to proof otherwise. I already gave many, many reasons why trainers aren't nearly as important as Pokémon. I suggest you try to give reasons for why trainers are as important as Pokémon.

I didn't try because its pointless. If you would go so far to say that its actually the pokemon who are the ones running around the caves and catching other pokémon, there is absolutely nothing I can say to disuade you. Not listening to what the other person says is not arguing. Making blatantly obviously biased LIES is not arguing.

ou want reasons? How about the fact that every main character in the series is a trainer. How about the fact that the concept of the game revolves completely around you playing the role of a trainer(RPG, Role Playing Game, get it?), not a pokémon. Whether or not the trainer's role in battle is visible on the tiny game screen, it is still there and is the whole premise of the game.

If trainers are not important, then why do they bother bringing back the old ones, like Red and Blue, for fights in future games? Why is it that Red was chosen to appear in Pokémon Battle Revolution(in the trailer at least). If there's nothing important about trainers, why should they use a classic one and not one of the more current ones?

Can you honestly say that The protagonist of the game is not an important character? Seriously.

There's something different about Red. Nintendo just won't let him go. Red has appeared in all three current generations and according to the PBR trailer, he's in 4th gen too. They featured him as a protagonist and a boss, not just that, the most powerful boss in the games, ever. They made Red a figure in the pokémon Trading Figure Game, however odd the concept is. Red and the other Gen 1 characters(though Red was really the only big change), got redesigned. No other characters in the series have ever had that happen to them. I'm not saying that Red is going to be the new mascot or something, but doesn't it seem strange that they would lend so much attention to one character if he was so unimportant?

Please note that every reference I've made here is FACTUAL. I'm not saying that trainers are more important than pokémon. But if you could even accept that trainers are 1/4 as important as pokémon(though they're really at least 1/2), it doesn't seem so ridiculous to add one trainer after four straight pokémon.

The makers of Metroid and Zelda tried to make the games more serious and adult. Using the name of the main character, like Mario, gives the game a kiddy image. But using a name like The Legend of Zelda, or using the name of the most important enemy race where the game is all about gives the game a more serious image.

o_O I'm not seeing how this relates to Pokémon.

The story turns around a Pokémon who used to be a human. It doesn't matter what he used to be, it matter that he now is a Pokémon.

Except that the story wouldn't happen if he wasn't really a human-turned-pokémon. The fact that it is a human is the whole idea that the game is based around.

And you don't have to act like a trainer. You don't catch Pokémon do you? No, you fight Pokémon yourself and try to make them join your group of Pokémon.

You still get into pokémon battles and have a pokémon team. Pokémon, on their own, never band together and team up to face other pokemon teams. This competition is part of what the human element brings to the games.

It doesn't matter that the main character used to be a human, since the main character now is a Pokémon and therefore the game has proven that these games don't need humans to be succesfull.

A. You are just making an assumtion, the game hasn't even come out yet, we don't know if its a success or not.

B. The game will only be successful(if we follow your assumption) on the fame that was generated be the main series, you know, the games with the trainers.

And canon or not, the game is about purely about Pokémon without trainers and there is no reason you can give against that.

Yeah, there's nothing I can give against that, because I don't deny facts like you do. However there is also nothing you can say against the fact that the main series revolves around the adventures of trainers in a world full of pokemon.

Suitable, not. Wanted, a bit. But not in my case. What I do, is look at what characters are most suggested in different places and most importantly, I look at the reactions to that. Like with Meowth. First, even I didn't think of him. But when he got suggested in the SSBB thread, I saw that everybody, including me, saw what a great character Meowth could be and how gigantic his popularity is. After that, nearly everybody there added Meowth to their wanted list and most people even put him at the top of the wanted Pokémon list.

EXACTLY!! You are basing your view of characters suitablility COMPLETELY on opinion. A character's "suitablity" is a non existant factor because nothing can prevent a character from having a moveset. You just can't see the possibilities. Plus, what you have just said(and what you say next) is a complete exaggeration. That doesn't work on people with experience in these types of debates like me. XD

With Red, on the other hand, when he was suggested everybody unaminous said how he didn't have any potential to being a fighter. Liturally everybody thought he was just a normal human with no special abilities and no fighting skills and that he therefore wasn't suited for a fighting game like SSB. Even Peach has special powers and fought in multiple games before SSBM. Red just lacks the ability to fight.

The joke's on you, buddy, I did a sweep of all of the Red topics last night, and 51.3% of the responders want to see Red in SSBB. Only 38.2% didn't want Red(The rest didn't care or couldn't decide.) Its hardly unanimous. Why are you lying?

And you say he has a large arsenal of highly advanced stuff. The only advanced things he has are a Pokéball and a Pokédex. And still, Red can't jump (high), he can't punch or kick, he simply can not battle without his Pokémon.

The bolded things are your assumptions. Red has a large arsenal. Red has poké balls, specially designed containment balls. He's got the Super Rod, which is advanced, how many poles do you know that could let an 11-year-old reel in 500 pound monsters. Red's bike is specially designed to be able to be pulled out and put away almost immediately. It's foldable, it doesn't get more advanced that that. ^_^ Advanced doesn't always have to be technology. Repel is a very potent product, it can keep monsters from being able to come near you. His running shoes use special compressed air to boost his running speed.

I've mentioned 5 things Red could use in SSBB(and did in my moveset, not to mention that there are many more). Link has 4 things in his arsenal in SSBB, yet you praise it and belittle Red. When you consider that Red has another arsenal still to draw from(one with 386 possibilities), Red has enough move potential for several characters. Might I remind you, that while Falcon was a Bounty Hunter, he had absolutely NO move potential. Red does.

And since it is impossible to let him summon his Pokémon for even the smallest attack, Red can not appear in SSBB.

WHY DO YOU GET TO DECIDE THIS?!

It is funny how you say that I'm biased, while you say that Red, a character that is not popular, not able to fight and heavily critisised every single time he got suggested, is likely to get in, while Dedede, a very popular character, that is very capable of fighting and heavily supported by both the makers and the players of this game, is very unlikely to get in.

Why does every person that I debate this with shove words in my mouth? Check the whole topic, check every topic or message I have ever posted on the internet. I have never said that Red is likely for SSBB. I have never even said anything good about his chances. Quite the contrary, everything I do say about his chances are bad. Don't make assumptions.

You are the biased one. Accepting the facts that you like, but ignoring all of the others is as biased as anything. You see what YOU want in pokemon, then ignore the fact that trainers might have any significance.

Please, try to open your eyes and look at the facts.

Okay, why don't you get some facts instead of making them up? I'll look at them once they're presented.

Deku Boy, I know you REALLY want Red to be in SSBB, but face it, it just isn't likely he'll show up as a playable character.

Yeah, I realized that about two years ago when I first started thinking about it. It's everyone else who can't seem to accept that I don't think Red WILL be in SSBB

Last edited:

Bliksem

The Quirky Quilava
This entire debate is rather silly. Regardless of whatever support Red, as a character, has, the majority of the fans of Pokemon play for the Pokemon. Compare to Golden Sun where they relate to the human party characters, the sometimes human opponents, and the human NPCs. The monsters fought and killed have no real basis in the story besides a minor plot at most. In Pokemon, the Pokemon aren't just a minor plot. The whole universe revolves around training these creatures. Villians take over towns with these creatures. The world is threatened and saved by these creatures. The Pokemon are the ones that have the special abilities, and it is the Pokemon that will be in SSBB.

The moveset given is very good and detailed, but it still doesn't mean Red fits in with this fighting game.

Deku Boy

This entire debate is rather silly. Regardless of whatever support Red, as a character, has, the majority of the fans of Pokemon play for the Pokemon. Compare to Golden Sun where they relate to the human party characters, the sometimes human opponents, and the human NPCs. The monsters fought and killed have no real basis in the story besides a minor plot at most. In Pokemon, the Pokemon aren't just a minor plot. The whole universe revolves around training these creatures. Villians take over towns with these creatures. The world is threatened and saved by these creatures. The Pokemon are the ones that have the special abilities, and it is the Pokemon that will be in SSBB.

The moveset given is very good and detailed, but it still doesn't mean Red fits in with this fighting game.

You guys almost have it, except that you are wiping trainers from the equation. Who are the people that control the pok'emon, trainers. And when you talk a plot, how much plot significance does a given Pikachu actually have? Unless its one from Yellow Version, absolutely none, and even then, very little. Pokemon as a whole are very important in the game and should get some representatives in SSBB, but trainers are also, and you guys are completely ignoring that. You also usually ignore when I tell you that you ignore it, so maybe telling you that you ignore that you ignore it will prevent you from ignoring it. O___o

jellsprout

I'm going to stop with this discussion. It is getting quite out of hand.
I'm just going to say one last thing. It doesn't matter how much potential Red has, he doesn't even have the smallest chance of getting into SSBB when he is competing with Pokémon like Deoxys, Lucario and Blaziken. And judging from your respond to my post, even you realize that. So I don't really see a point to continue this discussion.

And also, if you did a poll simply about if Red could or could not be in SSBB, you didn't quite do it correct. What you should have done is "What three characters from the Pokémon series do you think are going to be in SSBB?". That is, according to me, the best way to see how many people really want Red in.