• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Red Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooseSmuggler

#DeathToFascists
My fiancee and I are playing through first gen, her in Blue, me in Red. I like to plan my teams out in advance, and I wanted to get some ideas for my team, since she's actually really good in the first two gens.

Here's my planned team:

Charizard
-Fire Blast
-Submission
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
================
Gyarados
-Surf
-Body Slam
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt

STAB, good Physical, BoltBeam.
=================
Chansey
-Softboiled
-Psychic
-Seismic Toss
-Reflect
=================
Electabuzz
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Punch
-Seismic Toss
-Reflect
=================
Nidoking
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Submission
-Blizzard
=================
Articuno
-Blizzard
-Fly
-Agility
-Bubblebeam

I'm also imposing these rules:
  • Mewtwo and Mew are banned
  • Trades with G/S for TM's are allowed
  • Item Cloning is allowed, but cloned Rare-Candies cannot be used until the Elite Four are defeated

Last edited:

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
I've done this sort of challenge before, very fun if try to keep in the same level range.

How competitive are you two going to go? Because if you get advice here you may one-up her. You're already one of the most competitively minded teams I've seen on this board.

My fiancee and I are playing through first gen, her in Blue, me in Red. I like to plan my teams out in advance, and I wanted to get some ideas for my team, since she's actually really good in the first two gens.

Here's my planned team:

Charizard
-Fire Spin
-Toxic
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake

Toxic--Fire Spin is obnoxious in Gen I. SD--EQ on Poisons.
================

First off, first time I've ever seen a toxic stall Charizard in RBY. Creative props.

I believe Fire Spin can be switched out of, at which point the Bad poison will reset to normal poison, because RBY does that for some reason.

Fire Blast as a second attack might be better than Swords Dance.

Gyarados
-Surf
-Strength
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt

STAB, good Physical, BoltBeam.
=================

I'm going to assume that the damage has been done with Strength, but Body Slam is better.

Chansey
-Softboiled
-Psychic
-Seismic Toss
-Light Screen
=================

Thunder Wave or Reflect over Light Screen, maybe Ice Beam over Psychic is all I can say here. I don't think even Mewtwo could push Chansey to needing Light Screen, and it goes when you switch out.

Electabuzz
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic
-Light Screen
-Reflect/Submission
=================

Seismic Toss is an option here. Tradeback Ice Punch is amazing if you allow it. Reflect should take priority over submission, since Buzz's High Special counters his relatively frail HP.

Nidoking
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Submission
-Double Edge
=================

A special attack of some sort, Blizzard or Thunder, would be better than Double Edge. Blizzard in particular hits Grasses and pure grounds, which backed by Nidoking's decent special easily one-ups Double Edge.

Articuno
-Ice Beam
-Fly
-Agility
-Whirlwind

Blizzard has 90 Accuracy in RBY, so it is actually worth using- if TMs are an issue, Nidoking getting Blizzard takes priority. Whirlwind also does nothing in trainer battles in RBY, so it has to go, Bubblebeam, Reflect, and Rest are the three things that come to mind.

This is first gen, so I don't think there's anything else I'm missing...no natures, held items, EV's...I think I'm set.

Stat EXP probably won't be an issue here, so you'd be correct.

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

#DeathToFascists
Hrm, good advice. I appreciate it. I should probably mention a couple of things that might have some impact, though.

First, I forgot to mention that even though the teams are being raised in R/B, we only have one working Gameboy and no link cables, so we'll be doing this in Stadium. I *think* Fire Spin traps, and I'm almost positive Whirlwind works (though I'm gonna replace it with Bubblebeam anyway).

Second, yeah, we're the competitive kind of couple xD She stopped playing right before second gen, so she's been trying to catch up. That's why she's so much better than me with the first two gens. It's the last one she did, and the one right after it. But yeah, I'm going all-out, and I'm gonna help her if she needs it, but I'm pretty sure she'll manage on her own xD

Third, I haven't even gotten my game (I had to get it off of EBay), and she just got hers, so she's getting a headstart. So, none of these sets are done yet, so yeah, I'll replace Strength with Body Slam.

And also, I'm thinking of doing a straight-up sweeper set with Charizard. My fiancee prefers to sweep, and would switch if I poisoned her Pokémon, anyway, making the Toxic-FS combo unreliable (it would work WONDERS against the Prime Cup, though :B ). So, Fire Blast and Fly instead, yes?

I'm gonna update my original post with the changes, and put the rules I'm gonna impose.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Amazing situation you have there, sounds great. I've taken a liking to competitive Red/Blue/Yellow some time last year as well, only I have no one to play with! I'd imagine your plan to play on Stadium, assuming you one transfer pack, is to register one of the teams in "Anything goes" in advance?

The problem of Fly is that a human player, particularly a competitive one, will switch into a resisting type, leaving your flying pokemon to descend, do nothing, and then get punished.

For Charizard, I can recommend body slam (Another paralysis chance), hyper beam (A last-turn-alive power move, though the "KO the target = no recharge" glitch is gone in Stadium) or submission (Normals), as all three would benefit from Swords Dance.

Articuno's only real offensive replacement is double edge, so it might not be too bad to let it keep fly. The chance of getting caught quadruple damage rock slide is what I'm worried about, but Articuno has least as the ability to punish a lot of the Pokemon that can hit it super-effectively, between Blizzard and Bubblebeam.

MooseSmuggler

#DeathToFascists
Decided to go with Submission, since it covers Rocks.

And we have multiple Transfer packs, though we'll still probably register our teams xD I'm thinking of erasing my old file and starting from scratch, so having my best teams ready is a good idea, if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.