• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

References to the Pokemon anime in other Pokemon media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Gen 4 there nod to i choose you episode of Pokemon anime as professor elm lab as the dask for the starter Pokemon look almost same the one in the Pokemon anime show
Green (m) cloak look similar to what gary wear in end of orange islands and during the johou arc

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I've only noticed the name "Ikue" for a female trainer with Pikachu on SM/USUM and LGPE. Didn't know she was in previous games. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention.

Hey there is something interesting about Satoshi and his pikchu in both the Pokemon electric tail of pikachu manga (although it was more like a joke) and Shudõ-san's novel that Satoshi was or did try give his own pikachu a nickname @shoz999......it is was Pika !

The american version of Electric Tale came up with the name Jean Luc Pikachu for a cheap Star Trek reference. I remember there being another weird puny names like Felix for Caterpie.

Redstar45

I've only noticed the name "Ikue" for a female trainer with Pikachu on SM/USUM and LGPE. Didn't know she was in previous games. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention.

The american version of Electric Tale came up with the name Jean Luc Pikachu for a cheap Star Trek reference. I remember there being another weird puny names like Felix for Caterpie.
She was in xy as fan girl....i think

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

She was only in previous games for Japanese versions so chances are you wouldn’t know that

Lightning Bolt

Oh, I forgot one more Anime/Adventures foil to go along with Reshiram/Zekrom and Groudon/Kyogre:

In the anime, Nebby evolves into Solgaleo.

In Adventures, Nebby evolves into Lunala.
Glad I'm not the only one to get that. Also, in HGSS there is a woman who says that she just saw a Pink Butterfree flying through the skies. A obvious reference to the Pink Butterfree from Bye Bye Butterfree.

Redstar45

Oh, I forgot one more Anime/Adventures foil to go along with Reshiram/Zekrom and Groudon/Kyogre:

In the anime, Nebby evolves into Solgaleo.

In Adventures, Nebby evolves into Lunala.
Funny thing about that kusaka is fan of the Pokemon anime show

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Funny thing about that kusaka is fan of the Pokemon anime show

Obviously. It takes a conscience effort to do the opposite choice of what the anime is doing nearly every single time (except giving Platinum a Piplup). As if Kusaka is waiting for the moment he has to do a an anime crossover with the Special manga.

Speaking of Kusaka, he also gave Croaky, Y's Greninja, the ability Battle Bond. Which in the games is what allows someone to use Ash-Greninja. Nice subtle reference to that special Greninja without actually showing it (as it would cause massive continuity headaches).

Redstar45

Obviously. It takes a conscience effort to do the opposite choice of what the anime is doing nearly every single time (except giving Platinum a Piplup). As if Kusaka is waiting for the moment he has to do a an anime crossover with the Special manga.

Speaking of Kusaka, he also gave Croaky, Y's Greninja, the ability Battle Bond. Which in the games is what allows someone to use Ash-Greninja. Nice subtle reference to that special Greninja without actually showing it (as it would cause massive continuity headaches).
Weird......i did dreaming about him writing Pokemon anime and he end Pokemon special manga with yellow stick in the Pokemon anime universe

Jeal

Well, Sapphire got Torchic, like May.

Jeal

Yet Sapphire choose Gym Battles instead of Contests like May. That and Sapphire is the daughter of Birch while May is the daughter of Norman.
Yeah. The Ruby and Sapphire arc was so inconsistent with the games, Ruby was Norman's son, but Sapphire was the one doing gym battles and the starter with type disadvantage's owner.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Pokèmon Yellow & its remakes are basically the embodiment of games referencing the anime.

BenLee really not taken

Hey everyone, Bhrjr here.
Alright, how the main characters get their starter is actually in formula.
In Gen 1, Red got a Bulbasaur, Blue got a Charmander, and Green got a Squirtle.
In Gen 2, Gold got a Cyndaquil, Silver got a Totodile, and Crystal got a Chickorita.
In Gen 3, Ruby got a Mudkip, Sapphires got a Torchic, and Emerald got a Sceptile.
Seeing the pattern here, the “main rival” character gets a type advantage starter to the “main male” character, who has a type advantage to “main female” character’s starter. In the next gen, the “main male” character will have a starter that has type advantage to former “main male” characters. So Sapphire has a Torchic as that is advantage to Chickorita, the previous. In Gen 6, X has a Chespin, because Lack-Two previously had a Dewott. So Y, the “main female,” would have a weaker type one, Froakie, following the trend, even though it doesn’t fit for her.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Pokèmon Yellow & its remakes are basically the embodiment of games referencing the anime.

There's even a japanese ad with I Choose You Ash promoting it.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Actually I can explain that. That one really is definitely a 100% coincidence although I guess he could of taken advantage of the anime's influences however Sapphire's Blaziken is much more combat-focused than May's.

For those not familiar with the Pokemon Adventures manga, there has been a consistent starter "rotation" throughout the male protagonists, rival protagonists and female protagonist cycling through grass, fire and water. For example the Gen 1 female protagonist Blue had a Blastoise (water). In Gen 2, Krys has a Meganium (grass) and in Gen 3, Sapphire has a Blaziken (fire). Afterwards it cycles back to water, grass, and fire again for the female protagonists. This is the explanation why for example Platinum, the Adventures counterpart to Dawn, has an Empoleon which may seem like an anime influence to Dawn's Piplup at first until you look at Yvonne, the Adventures counterpart to Serena, having a Greninja, not a Delphox.

Glad I'm not the only one to get that. Also, in HGSS there is a woman who says that she just saw a Pink Butterfree flying through the skies. A obvious reference to the Pink Butterfree from Bye Bye Butterfree.
That reference is much older than you think. It goes all the way back also in the original Gold and Silver games. I love that little reference.

Yeah. The Ruby and Sapphire arc was so inconsistent with the games, Ruby was Norman's son, but Sapphire was the one doing gym battles and the starter with type disadvantage's owner.
I don't think one creative liberty automatically says Ruby & Sapphire is so inconsistent with the games. If anything, that slight change manages to help keep the spirit of the games so alive through gym battles and contests.

In HeartGold/SoulSilver, Clair has a Gyarados on her team, just like her anime counterpart.
I doubt it. I think they just wanted to make Clair's team more diverse... however... what is a surprise to me is that there was not a single Gyarados in the original Gen 2 games. I could've sworn Clair had a Gyarados in Gold, Silver and Crystal.

Bonnie in Pokemon Adventures has a Dedenne just like in the anime.
Bonnie_Dedenne_Adventures.png
Nice find. I can definitely see that at least as an anime influence.

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I am surprised that Ash-Greninja didnt make an appearance in the manga.
So that is actually a very interesting topic of discussion in the Adventures fanbase because it's actually confirmed that Yvonne, who is like the more game-accurate big sister archetype counterpart to anime's Serena, has a Greninja that happens to have the Battle Bond abililty. So no one really has a clue when that will make an appearance but at the very earliest, we could see this in Pokemon Adventures Sun & Moon even though there have been no clues whether the XY gang of friends will make an appearance. This is because the Ash-Greninja is actually a form featured in Gen 7, not Gen 6.

And here's where it gets a little more interesting. Ash-Greninja appears to be not a creation of GameFreak's creations but rather a creation of the anime as in every Ash-Greninja appearance outside of the anime is quite possibly LITERALLY an anime reference including the main series games itself. The fact that it has "Ash" in the form's name is itself a pretty huge clue that this is an anime creation and not one of GameFreak who although reference the anime a lot, usually keeps a good distance from the anime's canon. Also another thing to consider is that Ash-Greninja never appeared in the XY or ORAS games during Gen 6 and instead appeared what many fans could considered "late" in Gen 7. It's to assume that during Gen 6, GameFreak were probably taken a bit surprised by Ash-Greninja's appearance in the 6th gen anime adaptation. Because Ash-Greninja made quite an impression on viewers, it later appears as a Gen 7 Pokemon form in Sun & Moon and by extension could appear in Pokemon Adventures Sun & Moon or sometime in the future. Now the question is, how will it appear? The Pokemon Adventures manga faithfully follow the games and by extension, largely distances itself from the anime's canon even though it makes numerous references and influences. The thing is none of the anime references and influences in the Pokemon Adventures manga have been immersion-breaking to the timeline whereas Ash-Greninja is partly modeled after the anime-exclusive character Ash Ketchum. So the question is, would it even be called Ash-Greninja in Pokemon Adventures? Would it be called by it's alternative name, Battle Bond Greninja? Would Ash-Greninja's appearance establish some sort of Adventures-canon Ash Ketchum lol even though Ash is just a counterpart to Red. Ash-Greninja's name and form calls in a lot of questions.

So to sum it. Not only is Yvonne's Greninja's Battle Bond ability a reference to the anime but also the main series Pokemon games, Pokemon Sun and Moon, introduction of Ash-Greninja in Gen 7 as a legitimate Pokemon form is literally also a reference to the anime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.