1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Refusing a battle?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by TeeterDance, Oct 8, 2009.

1. No. 1 Machop Fan

No. 1 Machop Fan Well-Known Member

It is said that refusing a battle is bad manners.

2. BlitzBlast

BlitzBlast Busy with School

Oh really? Whoops.

Well, manners are important for 10 year olds.

3. An00bis

An00bis Wicked Witch

You should be able to but not without a penalty.

I remember a certain step of the Mew Glitch. At one point a Trainer spots you but through a glitch you were able to access the menu and pick an option to escape. So it wouldn't be annoying you'd have a two to three second window where you'd be able to access the menu by hitting a button. Then and only then would the menu show up so you won't have to keep seeing the prompt whenever a Trainer challenges you. As for a penalty I thought forfeiting 25% of the money on hand might be a good idea (I don't know ... a bribe?). Another idea was to have it so to decline would send you back to the previous Pokemon Center like it did in the the Mew Glitch. If they use the second method they could only escape if they have a Pokemon with Teleport (anywhere), Dig (on a mountain or in a cave), Dive (while surfing), or Fly (anywhere) also.

Of course you wouldn't be able to skip mandatory battles against Gym Leaders / Team Leaders.

I imagine some people would like to do low level runs through the game. If you end up fighting every Trainer through the regular game there's really no way your Pokemon wouldn't be Level 30-40 by time you reach the E4. Some might want the challenge of going through the game with a Team in the 10s or 20s. One could argue that a person who really wanted to do a low level run could just keep switching Pokemon whenever their level gets too high this way but that really defeats the purpose of the low level run, especially if you want to beat the entire game with one Team.

4. AlCario

AlCario Banned

It takes out any challenge that's in the game.

5. MasterCharizard15

MasterCharizard15 Manly Eybrows!

Then the disrepect you everytime they say no to a rematch.
    I mean really.
    If they can bother you if your...
    A). In a hurry
    B). Don't fel like battling wimps.
    C). Pokemon aren't fighting fit.
    ...Then you should be able to use them as a punching bag for your pokemon.
    Since RESPECT is what its all about...;355;;107;

6. Ammako

Ammako Well-Known Member

Sidney: Hey kid, do you want to battle?
    You: No.
    Sidney: Okay, right.

*Next room*

Phoebe: Wanna battle?
    Phoebe: Right. Go on.

*Next room*

Glacia: Will you ever decide yourself to battle or not?
    Glacia: ...

*Next room*

Drake: Are you a wimp?
    You: Yes.
    Drake: I don't battle wimps.

*Next room*

Steven: Here you are! Let's battle!
    Steven: Let's register your team into the Hall of Fame!

7. MasterCharizard15

MasterCharizard15 Manly Eybrows!

*Facepalm*
    For Non-Genetric Charcters....you can't refuse.
    For the Bug Catcher that looks like the other 10 bug catchers to beat. Yes.

8. Lucario Hero

Lucario Hero Defying Gravity

Allowing a refusal would be like encountering a wild Pokemon and saying, "Come back later when I have Pokeballs and a pokemon with Hypnosis, okay?"
    Trainer battles are fundementals in raising levels between gyms. Refusing a battle would take the challenge and the entertainment out of the adventures of the Pokemon world- in other words, not inside the gyms. Even if low on health and items, that's when the true challenge of typing/moves comes in to take out an opponent as quickly/logically as possible as not to have all of your Pokemon faint. This element of the game shouldn't be removed in my opinion.
    You can also walk around a great deal of Trainers as well.

9. Typhlosion Trainer

Typhlosion Trainer Fire Trainer

I personally dont care that much whether you could say no or not. Being able to say "no" at times may help you if your in a rush somewhere but other than that, its fine the way it is.

10. GolemGuy

GolemGuy Better Than Thou

Honestly, nowadays, I enjoy the sight of trainers. My Pokemon usually have no problem sweeping them, and they give easy Exp. for Gym Leaders and stuff.

Actually, I have a team of 7 Lv. 25s and Lv. 26es in Ruby mono-normal, and I've only just beaten the first four gyms.

11. The Benmeister

The Benmeister Master of Magnet

Since they're all easy, there really is no issue.

12. Jun's Heracross

Jun's Heracross Battle Ace

it should just stay as it is as much as i hate losing a battle, it just take even more of a challenge out of the game, plus i battle every trainer on the way through the game anyway.

13. Shadow Eeveelution

Shadow Eeveelution DracLord Dread

Even thought the idea isn't bad...

I rather not have that feature in game..as it teach you to be more careful

14. dragon-dark-master

dragon-dark-master Thanks SPPf. TTYL

No, you should not be able to. Then people would skip every battle, then get the the league/gyms, and the be a bitch and say "me pokeymawnz r n0t strng enuf!!!1!one1"

15. squlicky4

squlicky4 Well-Known Member

yes but the catch is a trainer that meets your eye has to battle with you thats what you get told i suppose it would be good to beable to refuse a battle but what fun is that

16. jellsprout

jellsprout Well-Known Member

I'd rather have this enforced the other way around as well. If there actually is a rule you can't decline a battle, I should be able to battle any trainer anywhere in the game at any time I want, without a VS Seeker or a phone.

17. Dehydrated

Dehydrated Too cool for you

I would want it so that you could refuse a battle, if you had already battled them.

18. Will-powered Spriter

Will-powered Spriter Pokédex Complete!

While it seems to make sense, in context you realise that it's a video game, and it would be the same as goombas asking if you mind them trying to kill you.

19. Farmermon

Farmermon Is back once again!

That would ruin the difficulty of Pokemon. If you could refuse battling any trainer, you wouldn't battle as much. I find it much more entertaining to have to battle everyone.

20. Staryu

Staryu I know, I know..

No, that'd be stupid. Some of them you can run past if you try hard enough anyway.