• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Refusing a battle?

No. 1 Machop Fan

It is said that refusing a battle is bad manners.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Oh really? Whoops.

Well, manners are important for 10 year olds.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
You should be able to but not without a penalty.

I remember a certain step of the Mew Glitch. At one point a Trainer spots you but through a glitch you were able to access the menu and pick an option to escape. So it wouldn't be annoying you'd have a two to three second window where you'd be able to access the menu by hitting a button. Then and only then would the menu show up so you won't have to keep seeing the prompt whenever a Trainer challenges you. As for a penalty I thought forfeiting 25% of the money on hand might be a good idea (I don't know ... a bribe?). Another idea was to have it so to decline would send you back to the previous Pokemon Center like it did in the the Mew Glitch. If they use the second method they could only escape if they have a Pokemon with Teleport (anywhere), Dig (on a mountain or in a cave), Dive (while surfing), or Fly (anywhere) also.

Of course you wouldn't be able to skip mandatory battles against Gym Leaders / Team Leaders.

I imagine some people would like to do low level runs through the game. If you end up fighting every Trainer through the regular game there's really no way your Pokemon wouldn't be Level 30-40 by time you reach the E4. Some might want the challenge of going through the game with a Team in the 10s or 20s. One could argue that a person who really wanted to do a low level run could just keep switching Pokemon whenever their level gets too high this way but that really defeats the purpose of the low level run, especially if you want to beat the entire game with one Team.

MasterCharizard15

Manly Eybrows!
It is said that refusing a battle is bad manners.

Then the disrepect you everytime they say no to a rematch.
I mean really.
If they can bother you if your...
A). In a hurry
B). Don't fel like battling wimps.
C). Pokemon aren't fighting fit.
...Then you should be able to use them as a punching bag for your pokemon.
Since RESPECT is what its all about...;355;;107;

Ammako

Sidney: Hey kid, do you want to battle?
You: No.
Sidney: Okay, right.

*Next room*

Phoebe: Wanna battle?
Phoebe: Right. Go on.

*Next room*

Glacia: Will you ever decide yourself to battle or not?
Glacia: ...

*Next room*

Drake: Are you a wimp?
You: Yes.
Drake: I don't battle wimps.

*Next room*

Steven: Here you are! Let's battle!
Steven: Let's register your team into the Hall of Fame!

MasterCharizard15

Manly Eybrows!
Sidney: Hey kid, do you want to battle?
Sidney: Okay, right.

*Next room*

Phoebe: Wanna battle?
Phoebe: Right. Go on.

*Next room*

Glacia: Will you ever decide yourself to battle or not?
Glacia: ...

*Next room*

Drake: Are you a wimp?
You: Yes.
Drake: I don't battle wimps.

*Next room*

Steven: Here you are! Let's battle!
Steven: Let's register your team into the Hall of Fame!

*Facepalm*
For Non-Genetric Charcters....you can't refuse.
For the Bug Catcher that looks like the other 10 bug catchers to beat. Yes.

Lucario Hero

Defying Gravity
Allowing a refusal would be like encountering a wild Pokemon and saying, "Come back later when I have Pokeballs and a pokemon with Hypnosis, okay?"
Trainer battles are fundementals in raising levels between gyms. Refusing a battle would take the challenge and the entertainment out of the adventures of the Pokemon world- in other words, not inside the gyms. Even if low on health and items, that's when the true challenge of typing/moves comes in to take out an opponent as quickly/logically as possible as not to have all of your Pokemon faint. This element of the game shouldn't be removed in my opinion.
You can also walk around a great deal of Trainers as well.

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
I personally dont care that much whether you could say no or not. Being able to say "no" at times may help you if your in a rush somewhere but other than that, its fine the way it is.

GolemGuy

Better Than Thou
Honestly, nowadays, I enjoy the sight of trainers. My Pokemon usually have no problem sweeping them, and they give easy Exp. for Gym Leaders and stuff.

Actually, I have a team of 7 Lv. 25s and Lv. 26es in Ruby mono-normal, and I've only just beaten the first four gyms.

Jun's Heracross

Battle Ace
it should just stay as it is as much as i hate losing a battle, it just take even more of a challenge out of the game, plus i battle every trainer on the way through the game anyway.

Shadow Eeveelution

DracLord Dread
Even thought the idea isn't bad...

I rather not have that feature in game..as it teach you to be more careful

dragon-dark-master

Thanks SPPf. TTYL
No, you should not be able to. Then people would skip every battle, then get the the league/gyms, and the be a bitch and say "me pokeymawnz r n0t strng enuf!!!1!one1"

squlicky4

yes but the catch is a trainer that meets your eye has to battle with you thats what you get told i suppose it would be good to beable to refuse a battle but what fun is that

jellsprout

For one, an early trainer states in R/S/E that you can not refuse a battle. I think he brings up a law or something like that.

I'd rather have this enforced the other way around as well. If there actually is a rule you can't decline a battle, I should be able to battle any trainer anywhere in the game at any time I want, without a VS Seeker or a phone.

Farmermon

Is back once again!
That would ruin the difficulty of Pokemon. If you could refuse battling any trainer, you wouldn't battle as much. I find it much more entertaining to have to battle everyone.