• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Refusing a battle?

Selfdestruct Togepi

Fangirls Beware!
I always battle every trainer I see on my way thought the games, never waste a chance to gain exp I aways say.

STICKTOPIA

I find it very annoying but that's how your pokemon get strong;)

umbreon4ever

Dark Trainer
I like the idea.

But it will get anoyying very quick.

Mr.Ghettoangel

escuchando reggaeton
its actually a great idea, but it would make the game too easy, and then people would get mad and insult nintendo for no reason...
being forced into battle makes the game funbecause its preparing you for the next battle.if u cant beat the bugcatcher wat makes u think u can beat brock?
if youre going to go on a long journey through a long cave, prepare yourself, for example if you know your pokemon aint ready for that cave train a couple of hours more, and awalys have a first aid kit..
come on now pokemon is a strategy game.
be smart and think ahead...
sont take the easy way out.

Vernikova

Champion
I think it should be put into the game. If you don't want to battle a trainer then why battle them? Of course, this wouldn't include Gym Leaders, the Elite Four, the Champion, any member of the regional team, and some other important places such as Nugget Bridge or Gym Trainers.

The random Lass or Hiker should be optional since not battling them will not have any real impact on the game. Perhaps you could pay them some money as recompense for not battling them.

I'm not really sure. I like the idea but at the same time I agree with the people who say it shouldn't be included in the game. I mean, it makes it more challenging, and it's already been like that for so long. And it's not like the typical trainer is really THAT skilled...

You should just prepare ahead of time, or save when you think you might not make it.
But like I said, I'm still in between on this idea. It would come in handy when you just don't feel like battling (even though that's really the entire point of the game...). However, it would get really annoying, REALLY fast if you had to choose between "yes" and "no" every single battle.

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
That would make the game too easy.

dragon-dark-master

Thanks SPPf. TTYL
That would make the game too easy.

It would make the game too easy for a while, then make it extremely difficult for the rest of it.

In my mind, skipping battles would be quicker at the start, them slow you down at the business end of the season, if you will.

Bobblefighter

Relic Owner
I don't see the problem. I lust to face those trainers in battle. I dream everyday of that beautiful exclamation mark arise on top of their heads as they shamble towards me with that glint of competitiveness in their eyes. Their defeat sustains me, my victory is my ambrosia. finding and fighting them all is a pure and just destiny that must be fulfilled. I will consent to this duty, and love all trainers that want to fight me. Fall at my feet, mortals!

Batdude

Old school
To be fair there are a good few trainers that are easily avoidable, I can't really think of many routes where it's battle after battle to the extent that I was so far away from a Pokémon Centre (or didn't have the foresight to buy potion or whatever) that my defeat was inevitable...

Aside from the fact that it's good exp and whatnot, there's also the matter of filling the Pokédex, at least in terms of having seen them all.

Skull-Kid

I don't really care to be honest.

On one hand, it is appealing to be given a choice as to whether or not I would like to battle this person. It would save me getting into meaningless battles or fighting when I need to get to a Pokemon Center. Yet, I want to face the random person. It in a way adds to the experience.

By fighting certain trainers you get to see new Pokemon(sometimes), level up your Pokemon, or advance in the story. Besides, the game would be to easy if you just said "no".

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Yes, it is annoying most of the time. Though, I think they're there to make the game a challenge somewhat. You know, so you can't just waltz right to the end of the game.

ckayer11

Steel User
I always like hearing what little story the Trainers had to say before and after they battled, so I fought everyone I could find. The EXP thing is pretty much a given.

Maybe for a few trainers, but in general, no. If we could refuse all battles then would would just waltz into town and be underleveled, thus not strong enough to defeat the gym leader.

Skull-Kid

I always like hearing what little story the Trainers had to say before and after they battled, so I fought everyone I could find. The EXP thing is pretty much a given.

I love the story's to! XD

Although I think every trainer in the game is brain dead. They say the same thing everytime you talk to them. It's like they have a memory of a goldfish which is 3 seconds I believe.

ckayer11

Steel User
I love the story's to! XD

Although I think every trainer in the game is brain dead. They say the same thing everytime you talk to them. It's like they have a memory of a goldfish which is 3 seconds I believe.

Ahaha yeah, that amuses me to no end.

Venomfrog

Perpetual Observer
Like ckayer11, I talk to every trainer and enjoy it. Battling each is a fun experience.

Honestly, skipping trainers by choice would be incredily tiresome. How many wild Pokemon ten levels less than your own would you have to clobber before being able to beat the stronger main trainers? I need every last bit of experience just to beat Roxanne.

In my opinion, making the trainer battles optional in Pokemon is like taking the Koopas and Goombas out of the first stages of Super Mario, and leaving only Bowser's gang. A Pokemon game is suppossed to be a journey.

I do see the case for optional battles for some people, but for me it is a waste of time. I fight everybody anytime and I know plenty other people do as well.