• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Refusing a battle?

Every time a new trainer spots you, you have no choice but to fight them. Do you think there should be some sort of option that allows you to refuse a battle? I think this would be good, especially when I've run out of potions and all my Pokemon are low on health, and I can't get past a particular trainer without fighting him/her.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Shadow Gamer

The Shadow Trainer
That doesn't sound like a bad idea.

oooo

May/Brendan in r/s/e asks you whether or not you want to battle - I declined and was not forced to battle.

Tof

I've wondered about this as well. I think the only way you can really avoid a battle is if: Your Pokemon are fainted, You don't have any, Or they need urgent medical attention (Pokemon Center).

Last edited:

FlyingFlygon

Ocarina of Calm
That would be pretty cool, but it would get annoying fast. With the near infinate amount of trainers, having to check yes or no could get _really_ annoying.

No...that would completely take the skill out of the game. You're supposed to be able to take down trainer after trainer.

BUG

insert joke so dated I don't even remember it
No. You can sneak around most trainers if you're that much of a wimp anyways.

Shadowater

The King of Shadows
Yes, but only for some trainers. E.G. A Lass could come up to you and say, "Erm... Um... Would you like to battle?", and you are able to say yes or no

At the same time, a Hiker down the road could come down and say, "OH HO HO! Your Pokemon look tough! Let's battle!" and force you into the battle

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
The reason there are unavoidable trainers is to test if you really do have the ability to proceed along with the game. If you're stuck on one trainer who you can't seem to beat, you shouldn't be able to decline his battle because the game is just going to get harder from that point on.

ribcage_x

It takes the fun out of it
I know alot of people who skip as many trainers as they can because there lazy. So if they put to option to say no people would skip every battle. Plus it would get annoying to have to press yes or no for every battle

razor fire

If your Pokemon are that low on health, it's called a Pokemon Center.

You don't get it do you? How are you supposed to reach the pokemon center if your pokemon are about to faint and the only way to reach a pkmn center is to battle?

If your Pokemon are that low on health, it's called a Pokemon Center.

I know, but if you're stuck in an area where you can't access a Pokemon Center... like if you just got out of a cave, and if you lose to a trainer, you'll be transported back to the Pokemon Center before you entered the cave making it very frustrating.

AzureWatcher

Glacier Hugger
Save before battles. Stock up before you enter said cave. Look for possible ways around a trainer if your pokemon are low on health/PP.

Burning Orphanage

Liscensed Pedophile
Sure, lets just take the little challenge the game already has right out of it. Brilliant idea.
Theres no point in having an obstacle/field enemy if you can just choose to ignore it.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
Sure, lets just take the little challenge the game already has right out of it. Brilliant idea.
Theres no point in having an obstacle/field enemy if you can just choose to ignore it.

you make a really good point. that takes the fun out of the game.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
For one, an early trainer states in R/S/E that you can not refuse a battle. I think he brings up a law or something like that.

Also, your character seems to challenge people as well, looking at some of the text of the opposing trainers.

AzureWatcher

Glacier Hugger
I think he brings up a law or something like that.

A moral code, if anything. I doubt it's an actual law. Sorta like the unwritten code of a child's game of yelling out "Jinx!" after two say something at the same time.

GIR7590

I remember trying to get a Pichu in Platinum, and after figuring out where Trophy Garden was, I snuck around all but 5 of the trainers on the way there... Since I was way under-leveled and I would go back and play the area normally after I got my favorite Pokemon.