• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regarding Ash and Mega Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey Wind

If Greninja gets a mega come Z/XY2 or whatever I can't them passing up that chance. If Ash is going to have a mega as permanent slot in his team then I think it makes the most sense for it to be a Gen VI Pokemon (and one that it makes sense to give a lot of focus to). If they're going to give him a mega then they're going to give it a large amount of screentime and I can't see Ash catching, say, a Mawile and then having an arc devoted to it going mega + a (probable) starring role in the league.

If that doesn't happen, I think Charizard or Sceptile will return for the final league battle (and/or filler arc) and that'll be it.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I've always been a supporter of Mega-Greninja and Ash getting one, when it finally is released. I think that, it will be that. Ash's Key Stone may even come after he and Alain team up to take down Team Flare, which we all know will likely happen.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
If Greninja gets a mega come Z/XY2 or whatever I can't them passing up that chance.

The same thing has been said about Mega Charizard X/Y and yet Ash hasn't used them; Red and Alain have. So even if Mega Greninja becomes a thing, I don't think Ash needs to showcase it.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I don't think anyone is forcing them to give Ash a Mega Ring. If it's a matter of Ash having to beat Mega Pokemon, the writers can always have him use DEM like they usually do and get the same results. :x

Thereby nullifying any potential growth Ash can have as a character if his biggest challenges have to result to DEM usage, and that also makes any growth his Kalos pokemon get useless as well, what's the point of training them if their just going to be forced to win regardless of how hard you push em? That's going to far even for an "underdog" character.

Also, no one said Ash has to get the specific ring, he could easily wear the keystone in another fashion.

The same thing has been said about Mega Charizard X/Y and yet Ash hasn't used them; Red and Alain have. So even if Mega Greninja becomes a thing, I don't think Ash needs to showcase it.

They only used X, Y hasn't been shown yet.

McIntyre

Novice Breeder
Even if it would be late, if I have to pick out of the Pokemon Ash currently has in reserve for his Mega Evolution, I'm gonna have to say Sceptile. No one likes Mega Heracross. I have not really even seen any mention of Mega Heracross and even then, it's only to say that it's subpar compared to the others. Which leaves Charizard and Sceptile. But Charizard has the ability to utilize two different mega evolutions and since the special has showcased that the Pokemon wear special harnesses to hold their mega stones, they would really only be able to showcase one of them. Though it would be interesting if they added a rival with the opposing Mega stone...Anyways. Sceptile also has the added benefit of giving a nod towards ORAS, which a reference for them is probably going to squeeze itself in anyways so it would only make sense.

There is also Gible, but that would require a double evolution jump so I just can't see that happening.

Either way it goes though, I can definitely see there being problems with Sceptile and Charizard mega evolving. In both Charizard X (which seems to be the favored mega of the two, having been featured in two specials already) and Sceptile's case, they gain the dragon typing. A type that has been notable with their...independent nature and incredible power in the anime for a very long time.

If we're hoping to see one before the league though, I really have no idea what they would choose. If I counted right, there are 34 Mega Evolutions currently revealed. 5 are legendaries, 7 are Pokemon that Ash already has or has one of their evolutionary line, another four are HIGHLY unlikely (Blaziken, Swampert, Gardevoir, and Tyranitar) for various reasons. Aerodactyl is also unlikely since Ash already has two flying types on his team (or will in Hawlucha's case). Which leaves us with 17 choices. 17 Pokemon to pick from when it is likely to become iconic with the anime. A Pokemon which will be just as closely associated with Ash as Pikachu or Charizard. Which makes me think we won't be seeing one

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
^ that doesn't make sense, why should it matter if X has been shown more so far? or that it and MegaSceptile become part dragon?

they can still show Y at some point.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
^ that doesn't make sense, why should it matter if X has been shown more so far? or that it and MegaSceptile become part dragon?

It really only makes sense for him to show off Y. I mean who else is gonna show it off?? The only two people who are left with a member of that line is Richie and Trevor lol.

McIntyre

Novice Breeder

It doesn't matter. I'm just commenting on the fact that it seems like Charizard X seems to be the preferred one to showcase out of the two of them. I also only commented on the fact that it and Mega Sceptile gain a dragon typing as a possible plot point of control issues if either of them were to be chosen since they brought up the issue with Korrina's Lucario. It's all speculation on my part.

LizardonX

Banned
It really only makes sense for him to show off Y. I mean who else is gonna show it off?? The only two people who are left with a member of that line is Richie and Trevor lol.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner.

Alan- Charizard X
Trevor-Charizard Y
Ash-Charizard Z for all of one episode because it would no doubt cause the space time continum to collapse in on itself if ash was allowed to keep such power.

PokeMaster366

I dunno Mega Evolution seems kind of OOC for someone as simple as Ash is. A strategy or ability is one thing but I honestly can't see him using Mega Evolution considering the purpose for it is literally just to evolve for battle something he was so against before.

I think Mega Evolution will be a different story from regular evolution. Mega Evolution is a temporary transformation that can only happen with the stones and the existence of a strong bond between trainer and Pokemon. Evolution through regular stones, on the other hand, is more arbitrary. Ash prefers his evolutions to be moreso the result of a Pokemon's personal growth as well as the improved bond between him and the Pokemon, but when evolving Pokemon through regular stones, no bond or growth is necessary. It is simply the result of a trainer demanding its partner to make a permanent change for their sake in spite of their Pokemon's own inhibitions. Ash is the kind of person that wants growth to be the result of hard work and circumstance rather than personal greed or absolute desperation, which could be another explanation for why he doesn't evolve Pikachu.

Anyways, Mega Evolution will be a product of the growth of both Ash, his Pokemon, and the bond between them, so it's easy to see him making use of it, but mainly against major opponents outside of League battles since it has such a high potential for causing collateral damage as well as physical harm to the user.

Maybe him receiving a Mega will be pushed post or pre league in a mini arc of his own. With plenty of awesome battles and development. I don't see why he can't have both Yard and Mega Scepty but he has been shown with a deep bond with Charizard, so he's probably more likely. (Plus he was conveniently brought back at the end of BW >w>)

zhixun

Maybe him receiving a Mega will be pushed post or pre league in a mini arc of his own. With plenty of awesome battles and development. I don't see why he can't have both Yard and Mega Scepty but he has been shown with a deep bond with Charizard, so he's probably more likely. (Plus he was conveniently brought back at the end of BW >w>)

Sure he can have both mega evolutions. But I rather hope him with Jukain since I am sick of Lizardon everywhere in the anime.

fitzy909

Just another guy
Sure he can have both mega evolutions. But I rather hope him with Jukain since I am sick of Lizardon everywhere in the anime.

Same here. He's a fan favourite, sure, but other pokemon need the spotlight. I want to see some other pokemon get featured, because we've seen Charizard enough. If we did see charizard mega evolve I'd want to see the Y version, because we've seen the X version wayyyyy too much.

Infallible

Clear the Decks!
Is there any chance of him using more than one Mega Pokémon? I mean I'd love for Sceptile to mega-evolve. If Charizard were to, I'd want it to be Mega Charizard Y so we can hopefully see a Zard Y Vs. Zard X battle should Ash and Alan cross paths. But, seeing how Charizard and Sceptile are very strong and pretty well developed as it is, if they don't mega-evolve I'd be happy with that too.

The only thing is, I can't see Heracross mega-evolving. I'd rather Ash just catch another Pokémon that can mega-evolve and bond with that one. Don't get me wrong, I love Heracross and it's mega-evolution, but I don't really see Ash bonding with it to that level.

zzz1000120

Am I the only one wondering how Ash will acquire a keystone? For some reason, to me the Mega Evo Guru doesnt seem to be the type to give away keystones to anyone who want one like in the game. And Korrina seems to only the one keystone and I highly doubt that she will give hers away. It would be a cheap cop out if Ash just happen to find one in a random cave.

Judai-and-sho

The Best of the Best
Considering he has 3 likely candidates, I could see him getting multiple Mega Evos. I imagine both Charizard and Sceptile would struggle with it for some drama but I could see both doing it at some point. Heracross would probably do it once or twice during a league or final battle type match without much drama, simply to showcase it.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Same here. He's a fan favourite, sure, but other pokemon need the spotlight. I want to see some other pokemon get featured, because we've seen Charizard enough. If we did see charizard mega evolve I'd want to see the Y version, because we've seen the X version wayyyyy too much.

We've seen Mega Charizard X twice because apparently it's got a cult following in Japan, so if Ash ever Mega Evolves his Charizard, it would become Mega Charizard X as well in my opinion.

zhixun

If Satoshi has a Mega Lizardon then it has to be Y. Since X has been shown many times and Y until now has not make an appearance.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I do wonder about that, I wonder if it's because X is truly that popular, or if the writers don't want to use Y because of it's ability.

zzz1000120

I do wonder about that, I wonder if it's because X is truly that popular, or if the writers don't want to use Y because of it's ability.

Well there has been pokemon that used sunny day in the anime so I don't think it would matter (unless he mega evolves at night ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.