• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regarding Ash and Mega Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illusio

No words, only rage
I'd imagine if Ash gets a Mega, it's probably going to be Charizard. Sceptile could, but I have doubts on that considering it's not as big as the dragon in promotion.

We've seen Mega Charizard X twice because apparently it's got a cult following in Japan, so if Ash ever Mega Evolves his Charizard, it would become Mega Charizard X as well in my opinion.

While I wouldn't doubt it's popular, that's the first I've heard of it having a cult following there. Do you have any information supporting that?

Regardless, considering its big debut in Origins before it was even revealed, I don't think popularity was the big reason it's used so much.

Blesstoise

Squirtle Squad
Well, i don't think Ash will get a mega at all, because it will overshadow Pikachu Imo and i doubt that the writers will let that happen.

Maybe there will be a mega Raichu and we will get a same scenario as back when pikachu could evolve into raichu etc..

Worst possible scenario:Mega Pikachu. In the anime they're showing that the trainers with mega's have a bond like ash and pikachu have. (If this happens i quit watching.)

X Drake

I Am Groot
Well, i don't think Ash will get a mega at all, because it will overshadow Pikachu Imo and i doubt that the writers will let that happen.

Maybe there will be a mega Raichu and we will get a same scenario as back when pikachu could evolve into raichu etc..

Worst possible scenario:Mega Pikachu. In the anime they're showing that the trainers with mega's have a bond like ash and pikachu have. (If this happens i quit watching.)
Charizard and Sceptile have overshadowed Pikachu on multiple occasions.So giving Ash a mega Sceptile or Mega Charizard won't make a difference.

thor94

I want ash using mega-evolution, but it's too much awesome for Ash (the writers want ash stay underdog, grow slowly to the top and finish severely beaten on the ground by a random OC during the league like the underdog he is).
Yes, mega-evolution is linked to human/pokemon bound that ash over-using in each episode and everyone in kalos using that stuff, but i think mega-evolution will be the only exception where ash waste the bounding stuff (because writers want underdog ash, not a shining awesome ash).

Ash will probably defeat mega by DEM and inconsistent powered move (like the powered electroball used by an exhausted pikachu one shooting a badass full healed grass type serperior, how trip serperior lost is a complete unreallistic ********, it's only plot power no jutsu victory)

But, we never know, maybe for once in their lives, the writers will allow ash shine and glorified in the ANIME serie and give him the mega-evolution.

Blesstoise

Squirtle Squad
Charizard and Sceptile have overshadowed Pikachu on multiple occasions.So giving Ash a mega Sceptile or Mega Charizard won't make a difference.

Yes that's true, on occasions. But for instance Charizard becoming a mega will overshadow Pikachu in general. And i don't think that they will ever let pikachu be overshadowed in the anime. (Unless they save the mega arc for after the league).

Lanced

Yes that's true, on occasions. But for instance Charizard becoming a mega will overshadow Pikachu in general. And i don't think that they will ever let pikachu be overshadowed in the anime. (Unless they save the mega arc for after the league).

It won't overshadow Pikachu, him owning Charizard in the first place is more likely to overshadow Pikachu. Charizard having a temporary evolution that increases it's power won't make much difference, especially seen as Charizard will no doubt be Oak'd or go back to summer camp or wherever after X/Y ends, (or maybe even before.)

X Drake

I Am Groot
Mega Evo is only temporary,so Pikachu will only get overshadowed for only an episode or two.So they will allow it.Plus there are some matches where Mega evos should be used by Ash(if he fights Alan).Plus it's not like Pikachu was always used last in a league match.

DaDonYordel

The Gazing Eye
But, we never know, maybe for once in their lives, the writers will allow ash shine and glorified in the ANIME serie and give him the mega-evolution.

Funny when you say that, because some people already think that Ash is overglorified in XY.

As for me, though I have said earlier in this--we shall see before the end, but the set-up for Alain and Ash to do battle with their Mega Evolutions is just too sweet to pass up. It is a trope that have been used many a times already, when counterparts, characters with differing main characteristics though not different enough that they can be considered similar in a sense, are in a conflict. And as this anime is morally didactic, Ash will obviously prevail in some form against Alain, for it is in my belief and may others that he is working for Lysandre and Team Flare. And as many others said, and in my belief continuing with this theme of "counterparts", Ash will likely make use of Charizard for his Mega Evolution purposes.

It is almost an inevitability that Ash will obtain a Mega Evolution, and as I said before, this arc serves its purpose for introducing Mega Evolution how terrifying its power is to Ash, who up until this point, has only seen how awesome it is. The only thing that is unknown to me is whether or not Ash will keep his Mega Evolution. As it is known that Ash must forever struggle against greater odds, assuming this isn't the last saga we see of him as the protagonist. Will his Key and Mega Stone be spirited away from him or destroyed? Will he simply keep it away until the need is dire? That is an interesting scenario.

In short: IT'S HAPPENING!!!

LizardonX

Banned
Funny when you say that, because some people already think that Ash is overglorified in XY.

Ash isn't overglorified.

Froakie is.

And there is no risk to using mega evolutions in the anime since pokecenters exist and are free. It's more a sign of defeiciency within the trainer than any failings with the mechanic of mega evolutions itself.

nameman

Ash isn't overglorified.

Froakie is.

And there is no risk to using mega evolutions in the anime since pokecenters exist and are free. It's more a sign of defeiciency within the trainer than any failings with the mechanic of mega evolutions itself.

I wouldn't call Froakie overglorified. Not yet at least. People just want the Water Starter to evolve.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I want ash using mega-evolution, but it's too much awesome for Ash (the writers want ash stay underdog, grow slowly to the top and finish severely beaten on the ground by a random OC during the league like the underdog he is).

Meaning we're no longer watching an underdog, we're following the story of a eternal loser.

Also, being forced to DEM his way through opponents, especially Megas is not good writing, all it does is make the development that the Kalos pokemon could have pointless if their forced to defeat opponents through cheap means, rather than obtaining the skill to do so.

When it comes to the league, unless Mega's are banned Ash better have one as a safeguard, cause Korrina is one thing, but league opponents are another.

zzz1000120

Meaning we're no longer watching an underdog, we're following the story of a eternal loser.

Also, being forced to DEM his way through opponents, especially Megas is not good writing, all it does is make the development that the Kalos pokemon could have pointless if their forced to defeat opponents through cheap means, rather than obtaining the skill to do so.

When it comes to the league, unless Mega's are banned Ash better have one as a safeguard, cause Korrina is one thing, but league opponents are another.

Considering Tobias was allowed to use Darkrai and Latios and people need to shut up about it already in the Sinnoh league and the champion and at least one of E4 has a mega in Kalos so there is a good chance that Mega aren't not banned so Ash need to get a mega to keep up or come up with some sort of strategy like the counter-shield which he never uses anymore

Lanced

Ash is still a decent trainer with some stand out achievements, just because he's not riding a chariot that's being pulled by a Mega Charizard and a Rayquaza, juggling Master Balls and Mega Stones doesn't make him an "eternal loser."

I wouldn't call it "cheap means." Look at it in the same light as fully evolved Pokémon don't always defeat lesser evolved.

King Charizard

Am I the only one wondering how Ash will acquire a keystone? For some reason, to me the Mega Evo Guru doesnt seem to be the type to give away keystones to anyone who want one like in the game. And Korrina seems to only the one keystone and I highly doubt that she will give hers away. It would be a cheap cop out if Ash just happen to find one in a random cave.

Tower of Mastery Tournament perhaps?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
While I wouldn't doubt it's popular, that's the first I've heard of it having a cult following there. Do you have any information supporting that?

Sure.

That's been the case for more than a decade though.

It seems like we're ignoring the fact that if one of Ash's Pokemon Mega Evolves, it would overshadow his Kalos team in general, which would also be bad writing in my opinion.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Ash is still a decent trainer with some stand out achievements, just because he's not riding a chariot that's being pulled by a Mega Charizard and a Rayquaza, juggling Master Balls and Mega Stones doesn't make him an "eternal loser."

he's not exactly a winner either until he clears a non filler league, nor have his filler based accomplishments made him famous.

I wouldn't call it "cheap means." Look at it in the same light as fully evolved Pokémon don't always defeat lesser evolved.

You mean like how Pikachu beat Trip's Serperior? I'm sure people were ok with that.

It seems like we're ignoring the fact that if one of Ash's Pokemon Mega Evolves, it would overshadow his Kalos team in general, which would also be bad writing in my opinion.

It would still be the lesser of the two evils because it protects the Kalos pokemon from being sent into the lion's den and getting pounded in by a mega that they may able to beat as a team, but that in itself is a problem because they all go down to do it.

Last edited:

Lanced

he's not exactly a winner either until he clears a non filler league, nor have his filler based accomplishments made him famous.

That's debatable, the sheer amount of gym badges Ash has earned along with victories against the Orange League, Battle Frontier, ranking in the top 10 of several leagues, and the various Pokémon he has captured set him up as a pretty standout trainer. If a COTD or rival appeared that had done even half as much as Ash had then they would instantly be recognized as a decent trainer.

You mean like how Pikachu beat Trip's Serperior? I'm sure people were ok with that.

People's reactions to an event doesn't change the outcome.

That depends. I've mentioned this before but there's a way where the Kalos team can get their moments while Ash can also showcase Mega Evo's. League wise, if Ash uses reserves, let Ash's Kalos team be used throughout the whole thing. Some used in the preliminaries or 3 vs. 3 battles. Then let them have a full battle or two to themselves. Then Ash can use a Mega in a later battle as a last resort because the other person has one (and yet Ash still uses a Kalos pokemon in that same battle too). Depending on the details, it can work out. Like Sceptile and Pikachu took down two legendary pokemon by the end of the Sinnoh league yet they didn't overshadow Ash vs. Paul imo (well, it helped that Ash vs. Paul was 3 episodes but still).

Or, let Ash have a league just for the Kalos team, no Mega's appearing whatsoever. But then Ash's challenge after that, similar to OI or BF or despite it being unlikely, maybe an E4 challenge...something of that sort, Ash can use Mega's with some Kalos pokemon integration and some other reserves. Like in AG, the Hoenn pokemon had a pretty good showing in both their league and in the BF and even though Ash used reserves in the BF and didn't use Glalie, that didn't take away from the fact that Glalie hasn't "lost" a match since evolving (and pretty much dominated in the league). To this day, that one little fact about Glalie sticks out so at least for me, it wasn't overshadowed.

Bottom line, I think both the Kalos team and Mega pokemon can be shown well with Ash as long as each pokemon used has some sort of chance to show what they got.

thor94

whatever, since BW, the show sucks, it was better when ash kept his skills.
and question of bad writting (because doesn't matter, now bad writting is the only way to ash growing as trainer in XY league), i prefer so far, ash using his badass mega-evolving reserve (and mega-evolve them) than win by cheap mean, DEM or plot no jutsu, like pikachu VS serperior (the rat couldn't win, that battle was a complete bull*hit)

Status
Not open for further replies.