1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Regarding Mega Evolutions in the anime

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by JD, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD

JD Well-Known Member

How will they be handeled? Do you think they will all be debuted or do you think some of them will be skipped? I feel like they will be used as a plot device to defeat Ash in the league.

2. diakyu

diakyu Well-Known Member

Pretty obvious they'll become Pokemon of the day since-
    X and Y have very few actual new pokemon.

They really can't afford to skip any of them.

3. Lorde

Lorde Banned

Pretty sure they'll all show up, although probably not very often until mid-XY when the power creep will be essential imo. I'm totally against mega Pokemon though and in a perfect world I wouldn't want them to show up at all. However, I can tolerate them if they only belong to COTD/recurring characters, just not main characters for reasons I stated in other threads.

4. JD

JD Well-Known Member

But they could even use older Pokemon for POD that's what they did with Sinnoh and Hoenn a few times.

5. Haunter ゴースト

Haunter ゴースト Well-Known Member

Honestly, i don't know.

Mega Evolution in XY isn't really a major detail or plot device. It's rarely mentioned besides the moment when you get the Mega Ring and hunt for the stones after talking with Sycamore.

I was a little disappointed to be honest, i understand it's supposed to be a secret evolution method (storywise) but we could have done with more information or story behind it all.

It obviously makes the Pokemon stronger than normal Pokemon so it will likely be used as powerhouses for Ash to defeat.

I'd like to think XY will implement Ash learning to use the Mega Ring and Mega Evolve some of his Pokemon, whether that happens though...

Either way it would be nice if they all debuted due to Kalos's lack of Pokemon.

6. diakyu

diakyu Well-Known Member

imo it's a pretty big plot device in the games. It's the reason you start your journey and get your starter in the first place.

The story behind them is explained too. The blast from the ultimate weapon created the stones and one day a man accidentally discovered it with his Lucario. Did we really need more?

And while I don't really know what they'll do with megas in the anime, I'm fairly confident it'll be a mega that does Ash in at the league.

7. nuzamaki90

nuzamaki90 Well-Known Member

I'm positive they'll be used as a last resort option in fierce battles. Since I'm almost 100% positive Ash gets a Lucario and uses it as his Mega Pokemon main, I think they'll have a good enough focus. Plus there's the fact that a recurring character has a Mega Blaziken and most likely is important story wise.

Although I think the only Mega that'll be on the main cast is Lucario, since I can't necessarily see Serena or Clemont with one, so any other Megas will either be used by COTDs, rivals, recurring characters, and/or Team Rocket.

8. Platinum fan.

Platinum fan. RetiredPokemonMaster

I really don't care about Mega Pokemon. It would be ideal if they just treated them like Legendary Pokemon on the anime, that way defeating one could be a big deal. That being the case I would love to see Serena slay something like Mega Blastoise or Mega Alakazam, or Clemont defeating a trainer at his Gym who's spamming a Mega Pokemon on him, as opposed to them getting one themselves. This could make up for the sidekicks never getting the opportunity to battle a Legendary Pokemon.

9. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

Mega Charizard is on the same level as mewtwo. I don't see anyone of the sidekicks being able to beat any of them that are stronger than mega manectric even with a full team.

10. JD

JD Well-Known Member

You really can't compare Pokemon Origins to the regular anime..

I hope Ash gets to debut at least one Mega Evolution like Charizard Y or Heracross.

I think Serena will debut one on her on Absol.

11. MarinaS

MarinaS sinnoh queen

They will probably focus a lot on the mega pokemon, in the case of the first episode and the second episode
    Where they showed mega blaziken a lot, and even showed mega blaziken saving Satoshi.

12. Honeyichigo

Honeyichigo The manliest

I don't think we can say Ash getting a Mega Lucario is a complete given right now. Based on what happens in the games and Ash's past with Lucario's line, it's certainly a possibility and would be a great way to use both those things (though certainly not the only one), nothing we know now about the XY anime really points to it.

13. ULiopleurodon

ULiopleurodon Ash Ketchum

Hopefully Charizard will return and get Mega Evolved, who knows, maybe he'll meet Kalos's Mewtwo. A Lucario is definitely possible.

14. Honeyichigo

Honeyichigo The manliest

Thinking about it, regardless of whether Megas can be said to count for new Pokemon in the games, I'm not sure the same can work in the anime. The main changes are stats and gameplay styles, something the anime doesn't really go out of it's way to adapt directly. Besides that, they're basically new forms in terms of context and the sort of stuff that goes into dex entries. There's nothing really new or unique to focus on, and while the anime has done multiple episodes on some Pokemon having a new focus episode for every single Mega evolver just to showcase its Mega evolution would seem... strained. And finally they're all mysterious and stuff. We're not likely to be getting CotDs with them, or random wild encounters. There could be a couple, but too many would undermine the mystery that's been set up in the first episode.

15. kalosftw296

kalosftw296 New Member

I feel the presentation is too rushed. We've had 4 episodes and an Opening and 3 of them have been presented already. I think they need to focus on the 69 Pokemon they have to introduce to less-educated viewers instead of looking back at past generations and building up the views of genwunners (e.g. Rhyhorn and probably many more in the future).

16. Honeyichigo

Honeyichigo The manliest

Wait, which was the third one? I know we've gotten Blaziken and Lucario (though I don't think we should count 5 seconds of screentime in the OP, myself- wait until it actually appears in the show).

17. Oshakpop

Oshakpop Eeveelution Master

I think Mega Evolutions will be treated similar to Kyurem's formes. Just something they can change into at any time. I think Mega Blaziken showed that this is probably the case. Although I think in terms of actual battles, it will be when the Pokémon is weak and they suddenly get a surge of power upon mega evolution (Similar to evolution in the anime apart from it's only in effect until the battle ends.

I don't know if this is who they are referring to but a silhouette of Mega Ampharos was shown when Sycamore was talking about Mega Evolution to Ash.

18. Joltik-Kid

Joltik-Kid Same thing, day in;day out ಠ_ಠ

I can't tell you if he is or isn't, but he's got the subject matter down correctly. Mega Evolution (explained in an interview that I'll look up if you don't believe me) was said to make the Pokemon's power increase to Legendary proportions. So basically, they went and took some decent Pokemon and made them Legends and also took some Powerful Pokemon and made then broken beyond Legends (Gengar, Blaziken, Lucario, Mewtwo, etc.)

19. Icaughta...

Icaughta... Gimme Salamence

... So you're expecting Ash to lose AGAIN?

20. 1rkhachatryan

1rkhachatryan Call me Robert guys

Eh, only one of them was really presented(Mega Blaziken), the other two(Charizard X and Mega Ampharos) weren't presented at all yet. I guess you can include Lucario but I don't count them as presented until they physically appear in the anime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.