• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regarding our selection process

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
ok, when are we going to get a top-tier OU like Conkeldurr or Ferrothorn? God, I think the last one we had was either TTar or Blissey or something.

Here are the OU pokemon we've had:

Rotom-W
Mienshao
Scizor
Darmanitan
Whimsicott
Mence
TTar
Blissey
Cloyster
Tentacruel

And why do we list nonviable sets (looking at the SpecsTar set) If the POTW is to teach new players about that pokemon? It could lead them the wrong way about what's viable.
Go back and read the 1st post......

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
yamask is horrible, which is probably why it's not there. xD

(but seriously. In upper tiers it's not even worth mentioning it, in UU Frosslass/Mismagius is better, and in RU or LU, Jellicent's pre-evo, Rotom, or Cofgrigugs, is better).

Oh really?

Here's the scenario. Your opponent has out a Haxorus, and you a Chandelure. You withdraw Chandelure and send in a level, let's say, 19 Yamask. Haxorus OHKOs Yamask with Outrage and acquires Mummy. Then you send in Slaking. See where this is headed? Ordinarily, Slaking would hit Haxorus on the inevitable switch with Pursuit, acquiring Mummy, but since Haxorus is locked into Outrage and unable to switch out, Slaking instead opts to OHKO with Slash. Either way, the turn ends with Slaking minus Truant and ready to sweep. I know this works, because it's happened to me. And my Slaking wiped out the rest of the opponent's team, FYI. My finest Random Matchup moment.

Yamask still sound horrible? And before you mention the possibility of Yamask's immunity to Normal and Fighting screwing things up, I have two words to say to that; Ring Target.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Oh really?

Here's the scenario. Your opponent has out a Haxorus, and you a Chandelure. You withdraw Chandelure and send in a level, let's say, 19 Yamask. Haxorus OHKOs Yamask with Outrage and acquires Mummy. Then you send in Slaking. See where this is headed? Ordinarily, Slaking would hit Haxorus on the inevitable switch with Pursuit, acquiring Mummy, but since Haxorus is locked into Outrage and unable to switch out, Slaking instead opts to OHKO with Slash. Either way, the turn ends with Slaking minus Truant and ready to sweep. I know this works, because it's happened to me. And my Slaking wiped out the rest of the opponent's team, FYI. My finest Random Matchup moment.

Yamask still sound horrible? And before you mention the possibility of Yamask's immunity to Normal and Fighting screwing things up, I have two words to say to that; Ring Target.
Sooooooo are you sure Yamask is good when
a) I can switch out because I can see your plan coming from a mile away, thanks to the fact that it's hard to hide a Yamask and Slaking with Team Preview,
b) Haxy uses Earthquake (or any one-hit move) instead of Outrage?
c) You just wasted 33% of your pokemon in that RM?

Last edited:
Oh really?

That's an interesting strategy. I'm curious how it fares against players who aren't terrible.

Espayeon

5th Gen Pokemon

Would it be possible to do a few 5th gen pokemon for the POTW selection as its coming up to a year soon when BW was released and there isn't many 5th gen ones done yet, it seems a shame that a lot of the new ones are still alien to a lot of people.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Sooooooo are you sure Yamask is good when
a) I can switch out because I can see your plan coming from a mile away, thanks to the fact that it's hard to hide a Yamask and Slaking with Team Preview,
b) Haxy uses Earthquake (or any one-hit move) instead of Outrage?
c) You just wasted 33% of your pokemon in that RM?

Like a lot of other strategies, it merely requires a bit of prediction. All I gotta do is predict when a contact move is coming, then bring in Yamask.

a) When I start to put the plan into action, all it involves is switching in Yamask, Yamask taking the attack and fainting, then me sending out Slaking. This all happens in the span of one turn, so when you realize what's happened, Slaking is in perfect position to Pursuit the opponent's ***.
b) Giving Chandelure an Air Balloon would alleviate the Earthquake problem. Like I said, it requires prediction.
c) Hardly a waste, considering Slaking was able to sweep the opponent's team with ease.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Like a lot of other strategies, it merely requires a bit of prediction. All I gotta do is predict when a contact move is coming, then bring in Yamask.

a) When I start to put the plan into action, all it involves is switching in Yamask, Yamask taking the attack and fainting, then me sending out Slaking. This all happens in the span of one turn, so when you realize what's happened, Slaking is in perfect position to Pursuit the opponent's ***.
b) Giving Chandelure an Air Balloon would alleviate the Earthquake problem. Like I said, it requires prediction.
c) Hardly a waste, considering Slaking was able to sweep the opponent's team with ease.
Team Preview still screws your gimmick against any decent player being rational. Seeing a Mummy user and Slaking on the same team is a pretty obvious strategy, just like Whimsicott+Terrakion. Furthermore, I can still switch out once I see you send out Slaking (even better, I can switch in a Ghost and use your wasted turn for a little setup...). It's a really obvious strategy.

And you still need your opponent to use a move that makes contact. If your opponent uses Earthquake or 99% of special moves it won't work.

Would it be possible to do a few 5th gen pokemon for the POTW selection as its coming up to a year soon when BW was released and there isn't many 5th gen ones done yet, it seems a shame that a lot of the new ones are still alien to a lot of people.
Read the first post........

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
How about if a Pokemon gets a major boon within a generation, it is eligible to be selected by the RNG again? For example in Gen 4, the Scizor POTW was very different to how it was used once it got Superpower and Bug Bite. If such a case happens again I think it is worth it to do a POTW even if the Pokemon has been done before.

(Obviously this idea doesn't need to be implemented now, but IF Ruby remake/Grey/DW events happen and change a Pokemon significantly, it would be worth reviewing a Pokemon twice)

yanmegy423

Litwick-KAWAIIDESU!
Maybe we could have special 'weeks' like the Eeveelution week. Maybe a week once every couple months to dedicate a certain themed pokemon or type? Eg. Halloween week that has 7 random Ghost type pokemon or Christmas Special where pokemon like Delibird, Abomasnow, Stantler are covered. I'd like to get in the holiday mood with POTW

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
A strategy for double battles. Whimsicott attacks Terrakion with Beat Up, activating Justified four times, thus increasing Terrakion's Attack by four levels and allowing it to sweep with stuff like Rock Slide.
It's even more deadly in Triple Battles

Put Terrakion in the middle. Whimsicott to one side and say Weasel/Sneasel on the other. Whimsicott uses Tailwind with Prankster which goes first and increases the other team's speed. Weavile/Sneasel uses Beat Up which hits 6 times on Terrakion, increasing Attack 6 stages. Terrakion uses Rock Slide and it destroys

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
So, when will Cinccino be reviewed?
I wanna know how to use her battle potential in the UU ranks, heck, OU works too. Mine just KO'd a chandelure that was EV and IV trained. Plus, mine is my in game Cinccino too.

Ememew

Emerald Mew
So, when will Cinccino be reviewed?
I wanna know how to use her battle potential in the UU ranks, heck, OU works too. Mine just KO'd a chandelure that was EV and IV trained. Plus, mine is my in game Cinccino too.

As has been explained, multiple times, such as in the first post of this thread:
Please allow me to explain. Barring the first few Pokémon (up until March 20th), the selection is completely random barring special events like movies in July and game releases. As such, several Pokémon are struck out of the random selector for this reason.

Thanks
So you'll get a review for Cinccino when the random number generator lands on it. Sorry, but just have patience and read the opening post and a few posts back.

Last edited:

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
As has been explained, multiple times, such as in the first post of this thread:

So you'll get a review for Cinccino when the random number generator lands on it. Sorry, but just have patience and read the opening post and a few posts back.

Okay. Got a bit too rush since my thoughts that many online battles are too Victinized by victory that they are using pokes that they even don't want to use in the standard gameplay. I think out of the box you see.

I personally beileve we should alternate teirs but still keep the pokemon random then we dont overload on one teir

Palkia98

id like to see a torterra potw, ill just have to cross my fingers for this one...

Pika ruler

Pikachu User
It's even more deadly in Triple Battles

Put Terrakion in the middle. Whimsicott to one side and say Weasel/Sneasel on the other. Whimsicott uses Tailwind with Prankster which goes first and increases the other team's speed. Weavile/Sneasel uses Beat Up which hits 6 times on Terrakion, increasing Attack 6 stages. Terrakion uses Rock Slide and it destroys

Don't you mean a weavile? A weasel is cool, but that's a furret. :p

Pika ruler

Pikachu User
Maybe we could have special 'weeks' like the Eeveelution week. Maybe a week once every couple months to dedicate a certain themed pokemon or type? Eg. Halloween week that has 7 random Ghost type pokemon or Christmas Special where pokemon like Delibird, Abomasnow, Stantler are covered. I'd like to get in the holiday mood with POTW

I would like to see a theme like that every holiday too.

ShinyVictini

ShinyVictini
Pick Victini, Darkria or Deoxys
Because Darkria is the only dark legend of Sinnoh, Deoxys is the best pokemonof Heonn and Victini is the most strongest pixie legendary with V-create by far

PHP:

Pokemon Rules............

Status
Not open for further replies.