• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regarding our selection process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Werewolf

Fairy trainer
OK sorry I tend to overeat to minor stuff. But POW is more or less. All I know about competitive play, I personally don't like to choice items. And held items I feel especially clueless about.

Also, sorry about the offenses normal type idea . I didn't see SNORLAX?!?! How the dub did I miss my favorite Pokémon?

Melonhead215

"That one guy"
(Read this somewhere, thank you for an inspiration random poster)
I think they said something about rotating tiers every week, so It could be new or different. Why not change the regions every week? That could be interesting.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
We always do pre-evo corner these days. Did so with this too

Huh. Must've missed it.

What I didn't miss was this week's pre-evolution corner. Why was Combee made out to seem like a complete and total joke when I posted a perfectly viable set for a level 100 Combee in the thread? Level 1 defeats the purpose of the whole thing- Combee takes a hit, activates the sash, 1 HP, uses Tailwind. Next turn, Combee outspeeds thanks to Tailwind and the Speed EVs and uses Endeavor, which allows a user of Flame Charge such as Chandelure to set up.

And why Roost instead of Heal Order? Vespiquen is so slow that the loss of the Flying type for defensive purposes is negligible.

ASB

Weather Team Hater
Once BW2 come out, pokemon could potentially gain new tutor moves or maybe even DW abilities that would make them competitively viable, so would it be possible to throw new sets in to past PotW features?

random13

Joltic Fan
Once BW2 come out, pokemon could potentially gain new tutor moves or maybe even DW abilities that would make them competitively viable, so would it be possible to throw new sets in to past PotW features?
Once a POTW has been posted it doesn't really get edited. These Pokemon might get a completely new POTW next gen but there will most likely be no editing now.

I was happy that Espeon, and Umbreon were chosen, and I was REALLY happy when Lucario was announced Pokemon of the Week. Now, the rest of my team would be Meganium/Samurott ( Don't know if I spelt that right, sorry ) Manaphy, and Arceus. Yes, they are legit. I would be happy if Manaphy would be featured, for while I have played Pokemon for many years, I still do not understand much such as moves or items to give to my Manaphy, due to its movepool not having many choices that can turn the tide of a battle.

No Little Cup because the demand for it is extremely low compared to the time it takes to write it. Think of it this way. Stats...

Smogon Server
Wifi OU - 200,000 battles
LC - 1,300 battles

Pokemon Online Server
Wifi OU - 850,000 battles
LC - 4,600 battles

I know LC has its own fan base but it's such a small percentage among players that I don't feel it's worth the time.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
I'd just like to point out that there are enough pokemon in the tiers from Ubers to RU to just do those for 4 years, which is the normal amount of time in a generation. We could just do those, the better pokemon, rather than spending loads of time doing useless POTW's on NU pokemon. If a NU pokemon came up through the RNG, then you could just roll it again. This would mean better pokemon, and it would also mean that OU pokemon don't get POTWs just because they're weren't selected by the RNG.

There are also 5 unreleased pokemon, so that's a total of 213 pokemon from Uber to RU - exactly 4 years and 5 weeks worth of POTWs. Even if the generation did last longer than that, we could just pick the best pokemon from NU, or do some POTWs again, because pokemon do go from Uber to OU, and OU to Uber. Also, metagames shift sometimes as new strategies emerge. Volt-turn is now one of the most used strategies, and it wasn't so popular earlier on in BW. Pokemon such as Shaymin, who suddenly become a whole lot more viable as volt-turn counters, are suddenly a lot better, and therefore they have different roles, and can be updated.

Just a thought. All I'm saying is that we don't need to be doing useless POTWs for completely not viable NU pokemon.

I'd just like to point out that there are enough pokemon in the tiers from Ubers to RU to just do those for 4 years, which is the normal amount of time in a generation. We could just do those, the better pokemon, rather than spending loads of time doing useless POTW's on NU pokemon. If a NU pokemon came up through the RNG, then you could just roll it again. This would mean better pokemon, and it would also mean that OU pokemon don't get POTWs just because they're weren't selected by the RNG.

There are also 5 unreleased pokemon, so that's a total of 213 pokemon from Uber to RU - exactly 4 years and 5 weeks worth of POTWs. Even if the generation did last longer than that, we could just pick the best pokemon from NU, or do some POTWs again, because pokemon do go from Uber to OU, and OU to Uber. Also, metagames shift sometimes as new strategies emerge. Volt-turn is now one of the most used strategies, and it wasn't so popular earlier on in BW. Pokemon such as Shaymin, who suddenly become a whole lot more viable as volt-turn counters, are suddenly a lot better, and therefore they have different roles, and can be updated.

Just a thought. All I'm saying is that we don't need to be doing useless POTWs for completely not viable NU pokemon.

Serebii wouldn't allow it and I don't like the idea of ignoring NU Pokemon either. I can make sure we don't get strings of useless NUs like we did recently but I don't thing Serebii would let us just pile on OU after OU until we have them all.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
Serebii wouldn't allow it and I don't like the idea of ignoring NU Pokemon either. I can make sure we don't get strings of useless NUs like we did recently but I don't thing Serebii would let us just pile on OU after OU until we have them all.
Well, I meant more just doing the RNG as it is done at the moment, but just removing all the NU pokemon. This would mean that pokemon such as Sunflora can't waste a week, which could be used by another, better pokemon.

I guess there are still some useful NUs, a prime example of this being Quagsire. I guess you could still put them in the RNG. It's just, the analysises are meant to be for OU, so advertising for someone to use a Sunflora in OU is completely misleading to newer players, and that's something that you shouldn't be doing.

Meh, it was just an idea. It doesn't really matter if you don't like it, I don't think it would work. I just think it would be better if some of the really pathetic pokemon weren't chosen, as they're just a waste of the process.

Last edited:

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
Well, I meant more just doing the RNG as it is done at the moment, but just removing all the NU pokemon. This would mean that pokemon such as Sunflora can't waste a week, which could be used by another, better pokemon.

I guess there are still some useful NUs, a prime example of this being Quagsire. I guess you could still put them in the RNG. It's just, the analysises are meant to be for OU, so advertising for someone to use a Sunflora in OU is completely misleading to newer players, and that's something that you shouldn't be doing.

Meh, it was just an idea. It doesn't really matter if you don't like it, I don't think it would work. I just think it would be better if some of the really pathetic pokemon weren't chosen, as they're just a waste of the process.

When some NU pokes have niches to fill in the OU metagame? Take Charizard for instance. Last I checked, in was NU, but under the sun, Choice Specs Charizard has just about the same power of a Choice Specs Reshiram. Its only drawbacks are its decent, but not great, speed, and its horrible weakness to stealth rock. Couple that with Solar Power's after effect and bad defenses, it can't logically be used in OU without extensive team planning. Why would you take those pokemon out when they can have niches that only they can have?

The way I see it, most NU Pokemon are either viable in the NU metagame or pre-evos of Pokemon that are viable in at least one tier, so they'd be included anyways in the Pre-Evo Corner. I see nothing wrong with just skipping Pokemon that have next to no place even in NU (like the previously mentioned Sunflora) and working with Pokemon that, at the very least, have a valuable niche in NU.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
Wait, did we finally switch to doing the tiers of the PotW pokemon that it is? In which case, only the pokemon that aren't viable in any tier should be skipped (there are still plenty of them in NU).

Rayofquazar

My oppinion: Each pokemon has it's competitive value no matter how mediocre or pitiful it is. POTW is not just for showing the best pokemon around, but also to help others (mainly new trainers) to understand wich pokemon is good and wich one is not by pointing out the good points and the flaws of each pokemon and for every pokemon. However, There is 663 pokemon (Counting different forms for the same pokemon), so, there is no way of doing them all before gen 6 comes out (if there's going to be a gen 6 of course). So I think, to do the most of them, it's essential to do just the same that we did during the eeveelutions week or the rotom forms week! We cannot consider a week to spinda, another one to do unown, and another one to do smeargle etc... These pokemon should be grouped as gimmick pokemon and done in a week. the same thing could happen to all of the early rat pokemon like raticate, furret, linoone and watchog. The week we did hitmonlee, I really thought that we should do also hitmonchan and hitmontop as well. There is plenty of pokemon, and POTW of gen 4 couldn't finish all the pokemon back then. And now, with even more pokemon in gen 5 to cover, we need to work even faster.

To be fair, I'm not the person who writes the POTW every sunday and not the one who manages this forum, so I don't really know how much work all of this takes. I'm fine with the POTW as it is now. The previous post was just a suggestion that for me will improve the POTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.