• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regarding SpamBots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Right guys, as you know, now that we have killed the lag, we seemed to have received more spambots, especially in General Discussion.

First, let me state that this is a global problem, affecting more forums across the web than before due to the breaking of the ReCAPTCHA method of verification.

The point of this post is to remind you, do NOT respond to the posts made by the spambots. If you see one, either ignore it, or go in and report it. Replying to it can be classed as spam so please do not do it

Thanks

~Serebii

BigDaddy D

You're on thin ice
So if we get the reCAPTCHA's up, no more spambots can be made. Because they're the things that robots cant read...
What happened to the CAPTCHA's, if I may ask?

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
What about those questions you get asked on registration?
I'm looking into making the verifications question based. I just need to make sure they're doable by anyone but not by machines.

For example, I can't do "What's next in the sequence" and provide a list of Happy Primes...only like 0.5% of people would be able to do it.

natie

Mr. F
It should pose a random question every time [e.g. What is the third word in this sentence? or Who's that Pokémon (with a link to the image of the Pokémon)?]. That, IMO, works best.

Larry

It should pose a random question every time [e.g. What is the third word in this sentence? or Who's that Pokémon (with a link to the image of the Pokémon)?]. That, IMO, works best.

ot everyone on here likes Pokemon though so there's the chance they wouldn't know.

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
^ Most of the people on here who don't like Pokémon have probably outgrown it since joining. I can't believe people would join just to post in Misc and Other Video Game Discussion.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
^ Not necessarily. Clubs are another attraction, and one of my friends is only a mild Pokemon fan, but is a member almost strictly for the Bleach Club.

Peter Quill

star-lord
^ Not necessarily. Clubs are another attraction, and one of my friends is only a mild Pokemon fan, but is a member almost strictly for the Bleach Club.

Yeah, but they can at least recognize a picture of one of the original 150, right?

Or they can even look at Serebii to find the answer.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
there are some people who don't know the pictures of pokemon very well (especially if it's the newer ones), either because they don't play very much or maybe they don't play the games in english and aren't used to the english names. but something like "who evolves into ivysaur?" could be easily googled for someone who wants to join and doesn't know the answer.

but i have no idea how easy something like that would be to implement or if it would really stop the bots :U

M4zz

Banned
Like the above suggestion, why not use Pikachu? It's a global image. It pretty much is known throughout and country that has Pokemon.

natie

Mr. F
But that would be useless, as the bots would need just one more line in their script, to automatically fill in 'Pikachu'. Seriously kids, read up on things before trying to start a discussion about them...

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
^Then perhaps a rotation of the original starter trio, changing each time someone tries to sign up? Even for a non-fan, I'm pretty sure they'd know them, I know my friend does.

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
^But if I do know what a picture word is, it would be distorted so that a machine couldn't recognise the actual word so easily. Plus the word use does not have to be spelt or grammatically correct.

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
i seee. so right now you guys can only do the hard way by deleting those spam posts. i have no ideas on how to deal with them. but i hope this problem is solved soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.