• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Region size

Lucariolover22

Aura Master
^ Agreed, If they added an island chain and made more towns and routes, I would be happier.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Yeah, more islands. And maybe some more ruins...

SmeargleArtist

I see dead people
I think the cities could be bulkier, just like add large buildings like in Castelia

ConfusedEevee

Time Gear Thief
If the regions were larger the playthroughs would take longer=more fun! I liked how in Hoenn and Sinnoh the towns with gyms were spread farther apart, so the game took longer. However, in Unova every town right after another has a gym. I disliked that.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
If the regions were larger the playthroughs would take longer=more fun! I liked how in Hoenn and Sinnoh the towns with gyms were spread farther apart, so the game took longer. However, in Unova every town right after another has a gym. I disliked that.

Not to mention the fact that there was only one way to go throughout the entire game.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
The anime versions of the Regions will have many areas not found in the games. Where the heck is Lillypad Town!? Remember that from DPP!? I sure don't!

ConfusedEevee

Time Gear Thief
Not to mention the fact that there was only one way to go throughout the entire game.

Your right! Imagine if the regions were big enough to free roam through.

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
I played many RPG games, and Pokemon series is one of my favourite RPG.

Well, in terms of a game, I will definitely not going to compare the game world to anime, nor the real world. Simply building an anime-size Pokeworld will be hectic for the game developers, and no one would like their job load increase neither.

The RPG games I had played so far which I felt had a very "big" world is FFXII and FFXIII. Yet, you can't compare it to the real world size, simply because they are just GAMES!

But yet, in terms of a RPG game, the world of the Pokemon series are surely small. You can tell it by the very simple formula of level-uping. You can't let your team of six commonly used Pokemon level up "naturally" on the way up to Pokemon League by only going through story plot route. You need to purposefully walk around one place again and again just to battle wild Pokemon and level up. This includes even if you go do some side quest in the game.
In many RPG games I played so far, you can level naturally to average of at least lv.70~75 by simply following the story plot route. You don't have to purposefully remain in one place just to level up, and you don't have to include side quests during the story plot route.

I agree, the main series Pokemon games need improvement, not just in the development of world, but also many gameplay features. But remember, the major "charm" of main series Pokemon games in fact doesn't lie in the story, nor the world itself, but in the communication.
Game Freak but their major effort in developing all the features that requires communication, such as Wi-Fi trading, battling, contest, Dream World, other mini-games .... etc, etc. All the things inside Pokemon requires communication, where that is the real charm point of the game itself.
Now, since GF had put so much effort into all the Wi-Fi features, do you think they will put extra effort to develop the things that is unrelated to Wi-Fi such as the Pokeworld itself?

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I always kinda figured the regions in the games weren't literally supposed to be that size. They're more like chibi versions of the region, with the important features (the eyes and head/the gym cities) exaggerated in importance, the semi-important features (the body/side things like the Abundant Shrine) made relatively smaller and less important, and the unimportant things (the nose/any cities that don't have a gym or other gameplay element) removed entirely. It's necessary for them to do this so the game can be played through without too much sidetracking/time spent on pointless things (and so it'll all fit on the cartridge), but it's not the literal size of the region. That'd be something more like what's in the anime.

Pretty much this. It's interpretive.

Why do you think all the buildings are bigger on the inside, or why there isn't an empty house for every wandering NPC?

I think the regions should be about the size of Hoenn or Sinnoh. Small enough to be manageable, but large and complex enough to allow for exploration. Furthermore, I never want to see a region as linear as Johto or Unova again. Reaching the Pokemon League should be an adventure, not a destination.

And yet the entirety of Unova is smaller than just the mainland of Hoenn or Sinnoh. Post game may be fairly decent size, but the main game is pathetically small and linear. Worst regional design of all time.

This, this, moar this.

Aww, remember Kanto, when they wanted you to slog through Seafoam to get to Cinnabar, and then happily end up back in Pallet afterward? And everyone was like "Dude, it's called Fly," and just Flew to Pallet and went south, and avoided Articuno entirely if they wanted to?

The anime versions of the Regions will have many areas not found in the games. Where the heck is Lillypad Town!? Remember that from DPP!? I sure don't!

I don't watch the show, so what, exactly, did Ash do in Lillypad that was so important that it would need to be reproduced in a game?

GoldenGengar

Gengar Forever <3
They should make a Pokemon Game that lets the Trainer travel through all the regions. Starting from the ones that started in order. Just a normal Boy/Girl that wishes to become a Pokemon Trainer. Then some day gets to go to Professor Oak's and get a Kanto starter. Thats when the adventure begins. You start out in Kanto then take the S.S Anne or Magnet Train and go to Johto after you defeat Kanto's Elite Four. After Johto's Gym Leaders are defeated then you take the S.S Anne to Sinnoh and defeat Gym Leaders, Elite Four/Champion. Next take S.S Anne to Unova and defeat their Gym Leaders, Elite Four/Champion.

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
The regions in the game are quite small, but then it makes sense. If they were too big, you'd just be walking around everywhere for no reason. The length of a Pokémon game is normally fine. I did, however, prefer G/S/C where you could explore the two regions.

I agree, I would love to see Gen 6 combine with 3,4, or 5, and have all of the wild pokemon available from that game. That would be great!

DarkCharizard2

Vae Victis
There are some ups and downs to making the regions bigger. In Castelia City, it may be huge, but there isn't much to do, so if they made the regions and cities bigger, Pokemon would have to add lots of more things to do. The up side is that there would be more things to do, thus yeilding a more enjoyable game. I might want to see bigger regions, I'm not sure yet.

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
Am I the only one satisfied with the current sizes? I love G/S/C's size, but thats cus its two reigons. fusing two recent ones would rule, like sinnoh and unova. ones facing south, ones facing north, you know? :p

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Rather than having the regions get bigger, I think just adding more events and things to do would suffice. Which would require the region to be bigger, but not by that much, depending on what's added where.

@a person: Yay someone likes what I posted

if it is enough for the game to develop the story, i think it is big enough. the reason why anime has a bigger region to explore is because it simply has a larger story to develop. plus it has its filler cities, nonexistent places.

Togetictoc

I'm no Fairy.
Unova sucks, size-wise, probably why my favorite games remain gsc...
The regions do need to become bigger, maybe do like in fire red and leaf green with islands to explore; or 2 regions to explore, like in gsc.

PsiOmega

An old soul
All the above posts have a good point. Unova was way too small, and more ruin/island chains would be good too. I liked FR/LG because of all of the places/stuff you can go/do (ie: the Sevii Islands). I think there should be more longer routes and bigger towns, as long as there was also a lot more side quests/things to do. (Sevii Islands much?)

ConfusedEevee

Time Gear Thief
I want there to be more random places for us to explore even though we don't have to. Stuff like wayward cave and shoal cave. You can beat the game and never go there, but I went there anyway. And I agree with black doom, the unova has the worst region size. Even though its based off of NYC I dislike how the map is sort of symmetrical, and the gyms are on after another. Sinnoh had the most caves to explore: wayward, oreburgh tunner, flaroma path, mt coronet I can't name them all.

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
Sinnoh and Hoenn were by far very credible regions with a lot to explore. But Unova? Terribly small size for a Region, I say. I use the Bicycle to cycle around the Unova Region. And going from Nimbasa to Iccirus takes a little less then 5 minutes now.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
They should make a Pokemon Game that lets the Trainer travel through all the regions. Starting from the ones that started in order. Just a normal Boy/Girl that wishes to become a Pokemon Trainer. Then some day gets to go to Professor Oak's and get a Kanto starter. Thats when the adventure begins. You start out in Kanto then take the S.S Anne or Magnet Train and go to Johto after you defeat Kanto's Elite Four. After Johto's Gym Leaders are defeated then you take the S.S Anne to Sinnoh and defeat Gym Leaders, Elite Four/Champion. Next take S.S Anne to Unova and defeat their Gym Leaders, Elite Four/Champion.

Wouldn't your pokemon be Lv100 by then?