• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_N

Smogon makes tiered play to give every Pokémon a chance. VGC, is the official format and they have some different arbitrary rules. They are two different formats and you can choose which one you like more. You can use kyurem in either format.

I'm mostly talking about smogon...in VGC, I highly doubt ninetales will make an impression with the way the meta is right now. The only viability I see for it is the off chance that it gets snow warning as a HA so it can spam blizzards against thundurus I or Landorus T. However, that's even cut short considering how prevalent Primal Groudon. Unless there are major shifts in the meta, I don't think it'll get anywhere. Being an ice types sucks...if we are talking Smogon, I can see it being niche in higher tiers, but being high RU or low UU. If it can learn a fire move though, it could be potentially much better.

VGCs next year will likely disallow the usual uber suspects for what it's worth

Luthor

Smogon makes tiered play to give every Pokémon a chance. VGC, is the official format and they have some different arbitrary rules. They are two different formats and you can choose which one you like more. You can use kyurem in either format.

I'm mostly talking about smogon...in VGC, I highly doubt ninetales will make an impression with the way the meta is right now. The only viability I see for it is the off chance that it gets snow warning as a HA so it can spam blizzards against thundurus I or Landorus T. However, that's even cut short considering how prevalent Primal Groudon. Unless there are major shifts in the meta, I don't think it'll get anywhere. Being an ice types sucks...if we are talking Smogon, I can see it being niche in higher tiers, but being high RU or low UU. If it can learn a fire move though, it could be potentially much better.

I assume it probably will have access to some fire moves. At the very least by egg moves.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur

In a perfect world, where A-Ninetales has Snow Warning, Fire-type egg moves/TMs, and a decent buff to Speed and/or Sp.Atk, it could be a killer Choice Specs/Scarf user with something like Blizzard, Moonblast, Overheat and Energy Ball. Fairy and Ice take down so many of the top level threats, Overheat wrecks the Steels that otherwise destroy you, and Energy Ball is for bulky Waters/Rocks (alternatively, Psyshock might be better if Poison types are a problem). As you say, its main nemesis will be the Primals, but, as R_N said, on the official side there will likely be several competitions and/or seasons that exclude legendaries, during which time it could really shine.

Last edited:

TyLogic

So does Alolan Marowak have some signature Ghost-type Bone-club and never missing Fire-type move? If this is true then I think it's cool that Alola form pokemon can have signature moves that the regular ones don't. It'd also be cool if alolan Exeggutor had a signature Grass-type Barrage.

R_N

So does Alolan Marowak have some signature Ghost-type Bone-club and never missing Fire-type move? If this is true then I think it's cool that Alola form pokemon can have signature moves that the regular ones don't. It'd also be cool if alolan Exeggutor had a signature Grass-type Barrage.

We've seen Alola Marowak have some ghost bone attack, but it hasn't been named. I don't think we've seen any never miss fire type move?

TyLogic

We've seen Alola Marowak have some ghost bone attack, but it hasn't been named. I don't think we've seen any never miss fire type move?

I think it said so in the flavor text. Something about weak fireballs that tirelessly pursue the foe. I think that'd be cool. :D

R_N

I think it said so in the flavor text. Something about weak fireballs that tirelessly pursue the foe. I think that'd be cool. :D

hmmm ah, here it is
The Alolan Marowak proves skilled at an attack in which it waves its bone and releases a ball of flame. The fireballs are not that powerful, but they tirelessly pursue the foe!

Is this the attack? https://youtu.be/7VmMURRKWFk?t=181
It doesn't seem like Leafeon takes damage so I just assumed it was will o wisp. The american trailer shows off the ghost bone. Kind of weird the blurb doesn't talk more about that.

TyLogic

hmmm ah, here it is

Is this the attack? https://youtu.be/7VmMURRKWFk?t=181
It doesn't seem like Leafeon takes damage so I just assumed it was will o wisp. The american trailer shows off the ghost bone. Kind of weird the blurb doesn't talk more about that.

I don't know actually.

Maybe alolan Marowak uses Will-O-Wisp in a special way?...I hope there's a new perfect accuracy Fire-type move...

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
So, using Aromatic Mist's list from earlier in the thread, I've excluded all Pokemon with Mega-Evos, cross-gen evolutions, or any part of their line seen in videos (directly or indirectly), and I've come up with this list of likely suspects:

Ekans/Arbok
Nidoran(m)/Nidorino/Nidoking
Nidoran(f)/Nidorina/Nidoqueen
Clefairy/Clefable
Paras/Parasect
Venonat/Venomoth
Diglett/Dugtrio
Mankey/Primeape
Bellsprout/Weepinbell/Victreebel
Tentacool/Tentacruel
Geodude/Graveler/Golem
Ponyta/Rapidash
Farfetch’d
Doduo/Dodrio
Seel/Dewgong
Grimer/Muk
Krabby/Kingler
Koffing/Weezing
Goldeen/Seaking
Omanyte/Omastar
Kabuto/Kabutops

Now, the things I mentioned above don't necessarily exclude a Pokemon from having an Alola form, but all the ones so far revealed do follow them (except Raichu for cross-gen evolutions, what with Pichu) and things like cross-gen evolutions (especially evolutions rather that prevos) and megas do make things more awkward for GF. Again, not impossible, as I have advocated myself that an Alolan mega would be completely plausible. I just think that when a line follows all of these rules and hasn't been seen in any trailers, they start to become... conspicuously absent. Make of that what you will. :)

Personally, I am glad that some of the ones I most wanted to get Alola forms, namely Muk, Weezing and Dodrio, are still on this list. I will make sure to refine it when/if we get any pertinent info on October 4th.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Dodrio would be intruiging with more Moa characteristics.
But I'd wish more for an Emu/Cassowary look- fingers crossed for a regional variant in a future Australian region. Haha.
I think out of all those lines Seel/Dewgong is the one most in need of revival. But honestly a Mega would be more beneficial since Dewgong has terrible stats

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Dodrio would be intruiging with more Moa characteristics.
But I'd wish more for an Emu/Cassowary look- fingers crossed for a regional variant in a future Australian region. Haha.
I think out of all those lines Seel/Dewgong is the one most in need of revival. But honestly a Mega would be more beneficial since Dewgong has terrible stats
I am definitely with you on the front that Dodrio and Dewgong need some awesome Alola forms. I even came up with some ideas myself. :) A more emu/cassowary-like look could easily be worked into my Fighting/Flying Dodrio.

Last edited:

Luthor

So, using Aromatic Mist's list from earlier in the thread, I've excluded all Pokemon with Mega-Evos, cross-gen evolutions, or any part of their line seen in videos (directly or indirectly), and I've come up with this list of likely suspects:

Ekans/Arbok
Clefairy/Clefable
Paras/Parasect
Venonat/Venomoth
Diglett/Dugtrio
Mankey/Primeape
Tentacool/Tentacruel
Geodude/Graveler/Golem
Ponyta/Rapidash
Farfetch’d
Doduo/Dodrio
Seel/Dewgong
Grimer/Muk
Krabby/Kingler
Koffing/Weezing
Goldeen/Seaking
Omanyte/Omastar
Kabuto/Kabutops

Now, the things I mentioned above don't necessarily exclude a Pokemon from having an Alola form, but all the ones so far revealed do follow them (except Raichu for cross-gen evolutions, what with Pichu) and things like cross-gen evolutions (especially evolutions rather that prevos) and megas do make things more awkward for GF. Again, not impossible, as I have advocated myself that an Alolan mega would be completely plausible. I just think that when a line follows all of these rules and hasn't been seen in any trailers, they start to become... conspicuously absent. Make of that what you will. :)

Personally, I am glad that some of the ones I most wanted to get Alola forms, namely Muk, Weezing and Dodrio, are still on this list. I will make sure to refine it when/if we get any pertinent info on October 4th.

The only pokemon I'd say might be an exception is Poliwrath. Given that it is an branched line i could see it getting an Alolan form only in final form still evolving from regular Poliwhirl.

R_N

Ekans/Arbok
Clefairy/Clefable
Paras/Parasect
Venonat/Venomoth
Diglett/Dugtrio
Mankey/Primeape
Tentacool/Tentacruel
Geodude/Graveler/Golem
Ponyta/Rapidash
Farfetch’d
Doduo/Dodrio
Seel/Dewgong
Grimer/Muk
Krabby/Kingler
Koffing/Weezing
Goldeen/Seaking
Omanyte/Omastar
Kabuto/Kabutops

Could see pokemon with just a cross gen pre-evolution conceivably getting alolan forms.
I mean Raichu did if nothing else and Raichu, Marowak & Exeggutor show that they're okay with giving alolan forms to just the final part of the line rather than everyone.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

Ekans/Arbok
Clefairy/Clefable
Paras/Parasect
Venonat/Venomoth
Diglett/Dugtrio
Mankey/Primeape
Tentacool/Tentacruel
Geodude/Graveler/Golem
Ponyta/Rapidash
Farfetch’d
Doduo/Dodrio
Seel/Dewgong
Grimer/Muk
Krabby/Kingler
Koffing/Weezing
Goldeen/Seaking
Omanyte/Omastar
Kabuto/Kabutops

I really want to see Alolan Arbok, it was always my favorite out of Team Rocket's initial Pokémon (and probably still my favorite out of them all), but I never really liked using it in the games. An Alolan form could be just what it needs for us to finally click.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer

Ekans/Arbok
Clefairy/Clefable
Paras/Parasect
Venonat/Venomoth
Diglett/Dugtrio
Mankey/Primeape
Tentacool/Tentacruel
Geodude/Graveler/Golem
Ponyta/Rapidash
Farfetch’d
Doduo/Dodrio
Seel/Dewgong
Grimer/Muk
Krabby/Kingler
Koffing/Weezing
Goldeen/Seaking
Omanyte/Omastar
Kabuto/Kabutops

I'm pretty sure we've seen Primeape in one of the trailers, but other than that the list appears to fight for the most part.

I really hope the Nidos get Alolan forms, I can see Poison/Fighting for King and Poison/Fairy for Queen.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
I just hope we get some non-Gen 1 Alolan forms, I get not having Gen 6 Alolan forms, but everything else feels like it's been long enough since their debut to get some variety.

Grey Wind

Going by that list (which seems fairly accurate), I'd really like to see Alolan Primeape. It's always been a little bit forgettable and I can't remember the last time it was even in a regional dex, so it'd be cool if it got some attention. I could see Grass or Psychic working well. Rock/Fire Golem is also something I really want, and I think Alola forms for the fossils could be interesting.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
With Butterfree and Parasect sadly out, my top5 most wanted Alola form:

- Kingler
- Arbok / Weezing (would like if they kept the Poison type. Weezing could become Poison/Dark, don't know about Arbok... Poison/Fairy?)
- Nidoqueen / Nidoking

Obviously the duos must come together, if it's just one of them I wouldn't like it.

Going by that list (which seems fairly accurate), I'd really like to see Alolan Primeape. It's always been a little bit forgettable and I can't remember the last time it was even in a regional dex, so it'd be cool if it got some attention. I could see Grass or Psychic working well. Rock/Fire Golem is also something I really want, and I think Alola forms for the fossils could be interesting.
Regular Primeape was already seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iaav6J6XzFs (1:20)
A shame, a Fighting/Electric Alolan Primeape would be great...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.