• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightwolf09

Alolan Marowak doesn't need the special attack boost, but getting the best of ground type (the electric immunity and most forms of paralysis), plus the removed weaknesses to grass and ice is a plus. Now Marowak can continue to be a threat to electric types like its always been, but also be a teammate in doubles/triples.

But what if Alolan Marowak is a special attacker?

Then its a win-win either way. If Marowak is a special attacker, then it can use the boost to hit hard with stuff like Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, and Earth power. If physical, then Marowak can use Shadow Sneak, Flame Charge, Earthquake, and whatever other physical fire move Marowak ends up getting. And if Alolan Marowak can still benefit from thick club, then it has nothing to worry about.

goodpeople25

Lightningrod has gone to pokemon with high base special attack
Manectric is a good example. 105 base special, has lightning rod.

Though assuming Alolans just rearrange their stats, marowak doesn't have a lot of wiggle room in the first place...
Maybe not the best example since Manectric had it before it raised Satk (and prevented damage for that matter) and they don't really change abilities in a case like this.

Akashin

Maybe not the best example since Manectric had it before it raised Satk (and prevented damage for that matter) and they don't really change abilities in a case like this.

They gave it to Raichu in Gen V as a Hidden Ability, too. And while Zebstrika's Special Attack falls short of its Attack, it's still equal to regular Marowak's Attack and Alolan Marowak's attacking stat won't necessarily go beyond that anyway.

goodpeople25

I know there are other examples just pointing out that that particular one has something agasint it. But Manectric was a better(probably the best without the gen 3 thing) example anyway since while both your examples have an Satk stat that could work with marowak their Atk stat is either higher or the same (and I don't think marowak could really pull that off at all without increases and/or alot of moving around )

To me the best example is actually (of all things) Plusle (who's also closer in BST which helps)

The thing with lightning rod is that there is more then just the boost to special attack. The defensive properties are also important. Lightning Rod essentially grants a free immunity to electric attacks, and also protects the rest of the team from them. Its no biggie for an electric or ground type, but its a great ability for Seaking and Alolan Marowak, as it removes a weakness for one, and provides an incentive to use the other.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Alolan dugtrio is officially the dumbest Pokemon but its so dumb that its hiliarious.

I think Alolan Dugtrio looks silly, but in a bad way. I've been tolerant of past Alolan forms of Kanto pokemon, but seeing Dugtrio in a toupee just makes me feel that the Alolan form gimmick is pretty doltish. :[

I like Alolan Dugtrio for the potential fire/ground typing. That has always been one of my favorite mixed typings, but Camerupt was just too slow for me. But if Alolan Dugtrio gets it, then I'll be really happy.

MegaTravis

Pokemon Trainer
Of the Alola forms I think that Vulpix, Ninetales, Sandshrew, Sandslash and Raichu are definitely the strongest designs with Diglett and Dugtrio definitely being the weakest. I like a lot of the designs but I am very surprised that we didn't get more, and more interesting ones.

I understand what Diglett and Dugtrio are supposedly based on but it still just looks very silly.

Personally, I just feel that Dugtrio just took everyone off guard. Alola Dugtrio with hair is nearly equivalent to female Wobbufett having lipstick. It was something that felt almost completely out of place for a Pokemon. With the other Alolan forms, the changes are more subtle. A type change, a color change (Grimer line being amusing as the Alolan colors are Kanto Grimer's shiny colors), and maybe an extra appendage or two. Dugtrio is like if someone just photoshopped a wig into the picture as a joke.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Dugtrio and Diglett had a good idea behind them with Pele's Hair, but the execution was terrible, honestly. They look like lazy jokes. The issue is, there's not much you can do to those two Pokemon, which makes me question even more why they chose to Alolanize them.

SassyUmbreon

I just don't get Alolan dugtrio... Like the vulpix and cubone different types were really cool, and I can even get around Alolan meowth, but only because of its dark typing. But the hair... Come on. It's a joke.

Dugtrio and Diglett had a good idea behind them with Pele's Hair, but the execution was terrible, honestly. They look like lazy jokes. The issue is, there's not much you can do to those two Pokemon, which makes me question even more why they chose to Alolanize them.

Even though the execution arguably could have been handled better, I can still kinda agree with Dugtrio being chosen for an Alolan form. When it comes to ground types, they are mostly known for being tanks, with the exception of Dugtrio, who has speed. But nowadays for the past couple of years, when it came to fast ground types, I would see more Garchomp, Flygon, Excadrill, and Landorus for the speedy ground type. This Alolan form will supposedly help Dugtrio to stand out again and create a bit of a dent, especially if it gets fire.

Even though the execution arguably could have been handled better, I can still kinda agree with Dugtrio being chosen for an Alolan form. When it comes to ground types, they are mostly known for being tanks, with the exception of Dugtrio, who has speed. But nowadays for the past couple of years, when it came to fast ground types, I would see more Garchomp, Flygon, Excadrill, and Landorus for the speedy ground type. This Alolan form will supposedly help Dugtrio to stand out again and create a bit of a dent, especially if it gets fire.
I wonder if Alolan Dugtrio will keep Arena Trap. The ability alone makes regular Dugtrio far more usable in singles than Flygon(who is basically outclassed by Garchomp) can dream of being.
If Alolan Dugtrio keeps Arena Trap and just gets a few more tools it can be pretty good.

Actually, I'm not sure if I want Alolan Dugtrio to get Arena trap, for the simple fact that if it does get it, then nobody will bother with Kanto Dugtrio ever again.

The Alolan forms are an alternate way to play some of the original Kanto Pokemon yes, but they shouldn't become a complete replacement for them either.

Alolan Raichu gaining the psychic type means that it gets resistance to fighting and psychic attacks (along with a secondary STAB to take out fighters and poisons), but it also opens up major weaknesses to Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch, and Knock off. Kanto Raichu may not have the extra STAB and resistances to play with, but Kanto Raichu still only has one weakness, and an immunity to electric instead of a resistance. Both variants of Raichu provide something different depending on what mood you are in, and you can't go wrong with either one. Its just a matter of preference.

Ice typing helps out Sandshrew and Vulpix lines, but the original forms are still just as viable. Alolan Ratatta loses Guts as an ability, which still gives Kanto Ratatta line a role as a fast normal type nuke.

But if you give Alolan Dugtrio Arena trap, and a secondary fire typing, and a couple of new moves, it would definitely be awesome, but then Kanto Dugtrio will collect even more dust.

Personally what I would do is keep Arena trap with Kanto Dugtrio, as that's the one thing that it can do that nobody else can (Mega Gengar and Gothitelle really hate the ghost and dark priority moves, and can't block any of the offensive switch out moves). For Alolan Dugtrio, I would pull a "Scizor" and rearrange the base stats of Kanto Dugtrio.

Kanto Dugtrio's base stats are 35/80/50/50/70/120. For Alolan Dugtrio, I would take 20 points out of special defense and redistribute them to attack, giving Alolan Dugtrio a spread of 35/100/50/50/50/120. Being half fire type (in theory of course) will give Alolan Dugtrio the ability to use flame charge, and boost that already high speed even higher, outspeeding nearly the entire game. Throw in a fire punch, and Alolan Dugtrio is pretty much set (Ground/Fire typing is only weak to water and ground compared to Ground which fears water, grass, and ice).

The ability that I would give to Alolan Dugtrio though is Flash fire. That would not only help boost Alolan Dugtrio's damage potential, but also add an immunity that Excadrill wishes that it had.

Last edited:

Creyk

Dugtrio sure is horrible, but who actually ever used that pokemon? I think it's so irrelevant it's not a big deal that it will not continue sucking

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Dugtrio sure is horrible, but who actually ever used that pokemon? I think it's so irrelevant it's not a big deal that it will not continue sucking

Arena Trap Dugtrio has been a staple of OU for a long time(largely against Heatran), though not these days. Dugtrio is also the primary means of defeating Lt. Surge in the OG games, alongside Sandslash(at least, as far as devs are concerned. You can and you likely will use something else).

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

A lot of people, actually. Dugtrio is great! It's insanely fast and has access to Arena Trap, making it a premier revenge killer, arguably the best in the game.

EDIT: Greninja'd

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan

Already been said, but Dugtrio finds its home on teams that want things like Heatran and Tyranitar trapped and removed, both of which are major pains in the asses for entire team archetypes. Back in Gen 5 Dugtrio found himself on quite a few weather teams as a way of trapping opposing weather starters and either outright KOing them or weakening them enough that they can be more easily pressured. In Gen 6 weather was nerfed so Dugtrio's usage plummeted, but he can still be used on teams that want rock monsters and lava frogs done away with, and people have found a way to reliably defeat Chansey 1v1 with Dugtrio thanks to Screech and clever IV spreads.

Never underestimate the value of trapping abilities, even if they're not as broken as Shadow Tag. Do you really think Magnezone would be able to keep itself out of UU without Magnet Pull?

Status
Not open for further replies.