• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_N

Gengar was probably made poison in the first place for "balance" purposes. Ghost was only weak to Ghost in the first gen. Course I have to say "balance" because gen 1 was a mess.

I bet if it was made today it'd have either been conceputlalized entirely as a poisonous gaseous ghost or not been poison in the first place

Sakuraba

Before G6, no. Now that fairy is a thing, yes, Gengar's run Sludge Bomb or Sludge Wave very commonly.

Should've guessed. Fairy gave Gengar an advantage for being Poison.

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
Alolan Persian is growing on me, little by little. It won't be my favorite regional variant, but it is cool in its own way.

knightwolf09

You know. I took me forever to realize. Alolan Sanslash is awesome. Ice/Steel is not a bad typing. It already has coverage against Ground, and if it can still learn Ground moves, coverage against Fire. All it need to worry about is Plus it bio implies it has increased defenses, which it's physical defense was not bad to begin with. So a defensive attacker is not too bad, and it a Fairy/Dragon slayer too.

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
You know. I took me forever to realize. Alolan Sanslash is awesome. Ice/Steel is not a bad typing. It already has coverage against Ground, and if it can still learn Ground moves, coverage against Fire. All it need to worry about is Plus it bio implies it has increased defenses, which it's physical defense was not bad to begin with. So a defensive attacker is not too bad, and it a Fairy/Dragon slayer too.
Yep, I was thinking that as well~

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
As great as a high Attack would be, Ice-types are pretty much the worst defensive types in-game since they're weak to like, everything.

knightwolf09

As great as a high Attack would be, Ice-types are pretty much the worst defensive types in-game since they're weak to like, everything.

Yeah, but Sandslash only has three, and two of them are just the common weaknesses, which is just Fighting and Fire. So that's really not bad for an ice type to have that litte of weakness. Not to mention Sanshrew talks about it's speed dropping, and it was already pretty low, but that's awesome, because now that makes him an awesome Gyro Ball user, with stab as well.

Sakuraba

Yeah, but Sandslash only has three, and two of them are just the common weaknesses, which is just Fighting and Fire. So that's really not bad for an ice type to have that litte of weakness. Not to mention Sanshrew talks about it's speed dropping, and it was already pretty low, but that's awesome, because now that makes him an awesome Gyro Ball user, with stab as well.

I dunno. Having 2 4x Weakness is not exactly good....

knightwolf09

I dunno. Having 2 4x Weakness is not exactly good....

You can say that for any good pokemon, like Garchomp, Heatran, or even Ferrothorn. Quad weaknesses shouldn't scare you off from using a pokemon.

knightwolf09

I mean, yeah. But 2? That is one hell of a draw-back. I'm not really sure about him.

It's still only two, it could be much worse. Plus it's easy to avoid those types. Again, don't let that scare you off.

Sakuraba

It's still only two, it could be much worse. Plus it's easy to avoid those types. Again, don't let that scare you off.

It's less about the Pokémon-typings and more about coverage moves. Depending on stats and other factors, I don't think STAB will be necessary to kill this thing.

knightwolf09

It's less about the Pokémon-typings and more about coverage moves. Depending on stats and other factors, I don't think STAB will be necessary to kill this thing.

Well don't give up hope on the thing so soon. Otherwise you'd be thinking it was a terrible change. They it's raised it's defenses so I believe it can take a hit, with or without STAB.

glacialcat

It actually couldn't be. With the current type chart there's no way to have more than two x4 Weaknesses.

Though back in G1, Grass/Bug had 3 x4 Weaknesses as Bug was weak to Poison, giving it x4 weaknesses to Poison, Fire, and Flying.

Trivia!

Not going to make any prediction on A-Sandslash's usefulness though. Steel is a good type, but Ice isn't. Could be useful, but has a good chance of turning badly.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Dugtrio sure is horrible, but who actually ever used that pokemon? I think it's so irrelevant it's not a big deal that it will not continue sucking

At first I kind of thought that the main reason why some Kanto pokemon received Alolan forms in these games was because it was an attempt to make them more desirable. But now it just seems like another way to pander to Gen 1 nostalgia. At least I like Alolan Persian's facial expression hee hee. :D

Sakuraba

Well don't give up hope on the thing so soon. Otherwise you'd be thinking it was a terrible change. They it's raised it's defenses so I believe it can take a hit, with or without STAB.

Im not saying it'll be bad. Some of my favorites have 4x weaknesses. But having two of them is a huge but on its back.

I quite like A-Sandslash. I like the icicle spikes on it's back, the ice picker claws and the colors. It looks really cool and I hope it has its place. I'm just afraid that will hinder it too much.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Alolan Sandslash has an awesome design and I am planning on using it in my in game team, but I don't have high hopes for it competitively. It seems to me that the only way it could be viable is if it gets an ability as its HA which is effectively the Hail version of Swift Swim, which would make up for its low speed and help it use the offensive power of Ice and decent coverage of Steel in the way that suits them best, rather than trying to be another Ice-type tank.

Alolan Sandslash has an awesome design and I am planning on using it in my in game team, but I don't have high hopes for it competitively. It seems to me that the only way it could be viable is if it gets an ability as its HA which is effectively the Hail version of Swift Swim, which would make up for its low speed and help it use the offensive power of Ice and decent coverage of Steel in the way that suits them best, rather than trying to be another Ice-type tank.

That's exactly how I feel about Alolan Sandslash. Sandslash has already earned its spot on my ingame team, but in the competitive field, Ice/Rock is a very difficult typing to use. Offensively, these are two of the best STABs one can want. Ice and Rock have massive coverage on a lot of stuff , but the defensives hurt a lot. Being 4x weak to Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, and Vacuum Wave is also a real pain. I'll find a way to make it work online though.

Status
Not open for further replies.