• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodpeople25

Because we see them referred to regularly as Alolan blank whenever they revealed a new one, whenever anyone talks about alolan blank or whenever they see them refered to as Alolan forms. Seems like a pretty natural progression to me, and I don't think we see Alola form all that much from offical sources.

Anyway the pokemon selection screen of the S&M main site always crashs on me so I don't really have any offical language to look at to see how they use it to get an idea of when Alolan can be used(the brief glimpse I sometimes get at the filter does say Alolan)

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Because we see them referred to regularly as Alolan blank whenever they revealed a new one, whenever anyone talks about alolan blank or whenever they see them refered to as Alolan forms. Seems like a pretty natural progression to me, and I don't think we see Alola form all that much from offical sources.

Anyway the pokemon selection screen of the S&M main site always crashs on me so I don't really have any offical language to look at to see how they use it to get an idea of when Alolan can be used(the brief glimpse I sometimes get at the filter does say Alolan)

It's pretty simple, really. The Regional Variants can be referred to as Alola Form or Alolan, ie Alola Form Exuggtor OR Alolan Exeggutor, but not Alolan Form Exeggutor.

goodpeople25

Oh I get the general idea, I just wanted to see more official language than I have now and hoped to see if it had other examples to go off on.

TyLogic

Here, let's start things of with the first Alola Forms (not Alolan Forms; I'm not sure why that mistake has become so widespread...) to be revealed:

Exeggutor: Attacking with its long neck and hard heads certainly denotes high Attack, while it having its neck be a vulnerability indicates a drop in Defense. As a result, I dropped its Defense to be lower than Exeggcute's, while giving it exceptional offensive presence and turning Exeggutor-A into a slow, moderately bulky Wallbreaker.

HP: 95
ATK: 125
DEF: 65
SPA: 115
SPD: 65
SPE: 55

Ninetales: This is the trickiest of the 3 for me. The description it is given lends to Ninetales-A actually going Physical, as it can form ice as a sort of armor and can launch it like bullets. However, the holy energy flowing through it makes it seem like it could stay Special. In the end, I kind of just had to guess and go with my gut on this one, and it ended up being somewhat underwhelmingly mixed.

HP: 73
ATK: 91
DEF: 75
SPA: 91
SPD: 75
SPE: 100

Sandslash: This was the most clean cut of the bunch. Drop Speed, buff Defenses. Easy as pie.

HP: 75
ATK: 100
DEF: 120
SPA: 45
SPD: 75
SPD: 35

This speculation is from the regular Pokemon's base stats, right?

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
This speculation is from the regular Pokemon's base stats, right?

Yes. I kept the same BST's as the original forms, and did my best to keep certain stats similar.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Oh. So, what were they before you changed them?

Original stats on the left, my guesses for Alola Forms on the right.

Exeggutor:

HP: 95 -> 95
ATK: 95 -> 125
DEF: 85 -> 65
SPA: 125 -> 115
SPD: 65 -> 65
SPE: 55 -> 55

Ninetales:

HP: 73 -> 73
ATK: 76 -> 91
DEF: 75 -> 75
SPA: 81 -> 91
SPD: 100 -> 75
SPE: 100 -> 100

Sandslash:

HP: 75 -> 75
ATK: 100 -> 100
DEF: 110 -> 120
SPA: 45 -> 45
SPD: 55 -> 75
SPD: 65 -> 35

TyLogic

Original stats on the left, my guesses for Alola Forms on the right.

Exeggutor:

HP: 95 -> 95
ATK: 95 -> 125
DEF: 85 -> 65
SPA: 125 -> 115
SPD: 65 -> 65
SPE: 55 -> 55

Ninetales:

HP: 73 -> 73
ATK: 76 -> 91
DEF: 75 -> 75
SPA: 81 -> 91
SPD: 100 -> 75
SPE: 100 -> 100

Sandslash:

HP: 75 -> 75
ATK: 100 -> 100
DEF: 110 -> 120
SPA: 45 -> 45
SPD: 55 -> 75
SPD: 65 -> 35

Interesting. This makes sense. Though I highly doubt that Alolan Sandslash's speed would be that drastic in terms of change, though it is sort of plausible.
If a Pokemon has a double weakness, then I'd want it to be a little fast, so it can deal with Pokemon better, but if its defense and special defense go up like that, then I guess it's alright.

You can easily look this up.

Yeah, but I kind of wanted to be able to make an easy comparison where the two BST's were close to each other.

Jadgirl04

Lilac Dungeoneer
Does anyone know the base stats for the Alolan forms? Not asking for them to be posted here, just a link to where I could find them. I tried asking on the spoiler thread but chat's going SO FAST and I don't want everything spoiled by accident.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Does anyone know the base stats for the Alolan forms? Not asking for them to be posted here, just a link to where I could find them. I tried asking on the spoiler thread but chat's going SO FAST and I don't want everything spoiled by accident.

haha im in the same boat as you, in like one day there is 10 plus pages more.
I'm waiting until the game comes out and serebii just puts all the info up.

Nimajneb

Not sure if this has been brought up and I'm not gonna scroll through 160 pages to find out.

But I feel like Sun/Moon has hardly any good water pokemon. I'm a little disappointed. I'm wondering if there are any Alolan forms of the original pokemon that will be water type?

My thought is that Ekans/Arbok become a water/poison type. Because of the water separating all of the islands they learned how to swim as a means of inhabiting all the islands. They could take on a darker colour, maybe with some dark/aqua blue stripes, and then add some gills.

Any other thoughts?

XXD17

Draco rex
Not sure if this has been brought up and I'm not gonna scroll through 160 pages to find out.

But I feel like Sun/Moon has hardly any good water pokemon. I'm a little disappointed. I'm wondering if there are any Alolan forms of the original pokemon that will be water type?

My thought is that Ekans/Arbok become a water/poison type. Because of the water separating all of the islands they learned how to swim as a means of inhabiting all the islands. They could take on a darker colour, maybe with some dark/aqua blue stripes, and then add some gills.

Any other thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about that. One thing that S/M is definitely not lacking is good water types ;) There are four that I can think of off the top of my head.

Nimajneb

Well, I mean, there is Popplio, but I plan to choose Rowlett. So far I've only seen a few water types, and they just don't grab me the same way they used to, such as Horsea, Poliwag, Sealeo, etc. to name a few from the original series. I am hoping when the game is released I'll be pleasantly surprised with the water types available.

Orphalesion

Of course everybody has different preferences in Pokemon but I actually have to be careful that I don't have too many water Pokemon in my team, since I like so many of the Alolan ones....

I actually have a problem that, except for Inceneroar, there is no Fire Pokemon that strikes my fancy. And I'm already choosing ther majesty, the Glamour-Queen Primarina, so no Inceneroar for me and no fire Pokemon either :-/

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*

Any other thoughts?

We could also use the Ekans being a Water type to explain that one scene from the second movie.

Nimajneb

Of course everybody has different preferences in Pokemon but I actually have to be careful that I don't have too many water Pokemon in my team, since I like so many of the Alolan ones....

I actually have a problem that, except for Inceneroar, there is no Fire Pokemon that strikes my fancy. And I'm already choosing ther majesty, the Glamour-Queen Primarina, so no Inceneroar for me and no fire Pokemon either :-/

Yes, I agree with you on the fire types too! Luckily Salandit will be my Fire type, but there really aren't any other options! A lot of the Alolan types are ice or ghost or dark and stuff.

I love Rowlett, but there are also Bounsweet and Lurantis that I love who are also grass types. I feel like I'll have a hard time not having too many grass types on my team. I often love Grass types, but unfortunately they aren't always the best for battles, so I try to keep only one.

Haha! No kidding!

Ekans was never a huge favorite of mine, probably because all the Rocket Grunts has them and they got super annoying, but I'd totally go for a water/poison Ekans if they designed it really well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Creyk

Yes, I agree with you on the fire types too! Luckily Salandit will be my Fire type, but there really aren't any other options! A lot of the Alolan types are ice or ghost or dark and stuff.

I love Rowlett, but there are also Bounsweet and Lurantis that I love who are also grass types. I feel like I'll have a hard time not having too many grass types on my team. I often love Grass types, but unfortunately they aren't always the best for battles, so I try to keep only one.

The fire variant of Oricorio is another viable fire type. Turtonator is a valid alternative as well.

Orphalesion

The fire variant of Oricorio is another viable fire type. Turtonator is a valid alternative as well.

I can only say I don't like Salandit's evo (reminds me of too many fursonas I've seen) find Turtonator positively revolting and find Flamencorio rather boring, Marowak would theoretically be an option, but with that particular mon I prefer the original version. Of course my team is already choke full of water, fairy, grass and ground types so I'm not to bothered by not having a Fire type in Kalos

Status
Not open for further replies.