• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
How man Aololan variants do yall expect to see btw? Also, do you only expect to see gen I variants?

This is a good chance to give interesting typings to certain pokemon that really would fit their designs.

Water type Sandile line, Water type Tynamo line, Water type Inkay line, Water type Croagunk line, Water type Dratini line, Water type Stunfisk.

Poison/Dragon Helioptile line, Teddiursa (Ice) -> Ursaring (Ice/Fighting), Ground type Poochyena line, Normal type Pancham line, Dark type Cubchoo line, Electric/Poison Porygon line (virus variant) ect..

Thepowaofhax

Oh yeah, and a Flying-type Diglett would be neat. Instead of popping out of the ground it pops out of a cloud.
And then a new era of revenge killing trappers have been born.

Anyways, you know what would be interesting? Geodudes and their evolutions would have extreme trouble on the ice mountain with these new Ice-types. It could easily become Rock/Steel and mimic iron ore deposits, slowly evolving into a giant spiky golf ball of death with claws used as ice-picks to climb.

Red and Blue

How man Aololan variants do yall expect to see btw? Also, do you only expect to see gen I variants?

This is a good chance to give interesting typings to certain pokemon that really would fit their designs.

Water type Sandile line, Water type Tynamo line, Water type Inkay line, Water type Croagunk line, Water type Dratini line, Water type Stunfisk.

Poison/Dragon Helioptile line, Teddiursa (Ice) -> Ursaring (Ice/Fighting), Ground type Poochyena line, Normal type Pancham line, Dark type Cubchoo line, Electric/Poison Porygon line (virus variant) ect..

Hopefully not too many. Might come at the cost of new Pokemon

Julia Artemis

I think out of the listed rumored Aloan variants I want to see Bug/Psychic Butterfree, Fighting Alakazam and Water Arcanine. Not really into Dodrio be Flying/Fighting or the Nidos being Poison/Fighting. That seems weird and not as interesting.

Gizmoa

Depends... if they make it so the only way you get old forms is from transfer or the VC RBY, then it is likely to be just gen 1 since that would give incentives to buy the VC games as a companion... but if they let you get old forms in game some how, I would expect to see other gens... specifically pokemon who just haven't quite been able to shine, like exeggutor. If they release more VC ports, I would also expect to see other gens, and I could also see alolan versions of gen 4 pokemon since we are due for a gen 4 remake and you could get the other forms from that. I don't think they would put new gen 4 forms in the actual remake because as the gen they were introduced in, they should remain the same, but when the remake comes out, we may get more regional forms for any pokemon not originally included in it, and megas at the very least. Since the mega presence = alternate universe from the original games, they may also get away with other changes, but I'm not sure if they will go for that or not. Regardless, I don't expect to see many old school gen 4 pokemon in sun/moon.

Now that we have some pokémon adapting to colder conditions I think it would be cool if they revealed some pokémon adapting to warmer ones next. Like a Rock type Glalie living in the desert, with only the rocky core remaining, or a Grass/[something] Snover and Abomasnow without the snow covering them living in tropical forests.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Now that we have some pokémon adapting to colder conditions I think it would be cool if they revealed some pokémon adapting to warmer ones next. Like a Rock type Glalie living in the desert, with only the rocky core remaining, or a Grass/[something] Snover and Abomasnow without the snow covering them living in tropical forests.

I could see this happening to a water pokemon:

the waters in which they lived have been pooled with lava from the volcano. As the pokemon couldn't survive without some aspect of that location, they stayed and ended up becoming fire variations, living in the lava. Maybe take from the huge water count and add to the fire count :p

Pilpulp

美的
I think the Variants should be given to every gen, I mean whats the point in holding back?

They're just going to be abandoned next gen like megas.

Thepowaofhax

Also how does Vulpix evolve in this game? I assume it wont be by the Fire Stone, that wouldn't make sense. Shiny Stone? Happiness?

Likely, it will evolve by level up near the Icy Rock, which is likely to be near where it is caught.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

About 30 species at maximum. We had only about 30 Megas in XY, so I'm not expecting much for the initial run. The next game, whatever it is, might have a different amount of regional variants.

As many others said before me, this is an odd generation, so the focus will be on the new species, who we know already have alternate forms that effectively count as separate species(Oricorio), and who we already know to be plenty.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Also how does Vulpix evolve in this game? I assume it wont be by the Fire Stone, that wouldn't make sense. Shiny Stone? Happiness?
As others have considered, it could make sense for it to still use a Fire Stone since it is still considered a Vulpix evolving into a Ninetales.

On a related note, variant forms for pokemon that Mega evolve could be done and justified as the Mega evolution (which would be the same regardless of the form that uses it) simply "awakening" the typing of the original form.

But then I just hate to think that Ninetales will never have a Mega evolution.

I think the Variants should be given to every gen, I mean whats the point in holding back?

They're just going to be abandoned next gen like megas.
People keep forgetting that aside from little things like Spiky Eared Pichu pokemon games have NEVER abandoned pokemon forms/evolutions and I doubt they are going to start now.

Recall that they've bothered to keep in all the minor gender differences introduced as well.

Last edited:

Frisky

Perhaps it could be an Icy Rock like Thepowaofhax said or it could be a Moonstone? Who knows.

Gizmoa

To quote pokemon.com "It is said that Vulpix came to the Alola region together with humans, but the Fox Pokémon moved to the snowy mountain peaks to avoid the normal habitats of other Pokémon, and thus it ended up taking on this form."

Does this mean no naturally ice typed pokemon living in the ice area, and if so, does this mean more old gen pokemon will get ice typing? Ice geodude? Ice Onix(crystal onix)? ice growlithe? (I would rather a cloud or water one, but if it is version exclusive they might want to pair it with vulpix again)

unrelated, but I think if zubat were to get a new form, rather than make it the obvious dark, making it so it moved to daylight and forest and became a fruit bat would make more lore sense... but what type would that be? Flying/grass? pure flying? fire/flying?

edit:
People keep forgetting that aside from little things like Spiky Eared Pichu pokemon games have NEVER abandoned pokemon forms/evolutions and I doubt they are going to start now.

Recall that they've bothered to keep in all the minor gender differences introduced as well.
also cosplay pikachu.

Last edited:

Luthor

So far there hasn't been any Alolan forms from pokemon that have mega evolutions now i'll be curious to see if any do and to see if they mega evolve into the same mega form. For example if there was a Alolan form Gyarados would it still mega evolve into the same Mega Gyarados form? While i'm assuming atm they'll deliberately avoid pokemon who already have megas if i'm wrong that could potentially change gameplay.

Frisky

I really hope they give the Drowzee line some love. It would be awesome to see it become Dark/Fairy. I imagine it would be Jester-like.

gliscor&yanmega

Around 30 at least I'd say. I feel like they'd want to have a bit like with Megas. I'd be disappointed if it barely gets to double digits. And I would expect some from a few Gens, maybe not all(But would be preferred).

Some I wouldn't mind seeing(For personal reasons or just so the Pokemon can get more use):
Gen 1-Spearow/Fearow(Flying/Fighting), Krabby/Kingler(Water/Ground), Dratini line(Dragon/Water)
Gen 2-Sunflora(Grass/Fire), Slugma/Magcargo(Fire/Water), Stantler(Normal/Psychic)
Gen 3-Torkoal(Water), Trapinch line(Bug and Bug/Dragon)
Gen 4-Hippopotas line(Water/Ground), Yanmega(Bug/Dragon), Gliscor(Dark/Flying), Mamoswine(Grass/Ground),
Gen 5-Dwebble line(Bug/Water), Cryogonal(Ice/Water), Mienshao(Fighting/Psychic),
Gen 6-Florges(Fairy/Grass), Goodra(Dragon/Water)
Gen 7-Would be nice but not sure if it can really be expected. Oricorio kind of acts in a similar manner already anyways so probably not happen.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
Hopefully not too many. Might come at the cost of new Pokemon

But it doesn't have to take away from the number of new pokemon. They don't have to create hundreds of 3D models this gen like they did in gen VI. So I don't see why they should be limited on the number of new pokemon.

Like a Grass/Rock or Grass/Ground desert variant? Or were you thinking more along the lines of it being a tropical variant?

Thepowaofhax

I really hope they give the Drowzee line some love. It would be awesome to see it become Dark/Fairy. I imagine it would be Jester-like.

With that typing, it sounds more like the urban legend of Sandman. Hopefully it gets a better sleep-inducing move, though.

I'd like that too. At least everyone who plays Pokémon GO knows who Drowzee is, might as well build on that haha!

Anyway, some old Pokémon that appeared on the video (I remember Fearow at least, probably more) are probably not going to get Alolan forms, otherwise they would be in that form in the video right? Assuming they're going to be the only variant found in Alola. Unless it's just an oversight or something. Hopefully others get Alolan forms than only Kanto-mons.

Status
Not open for further replies.