• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
This so much. Kind of like Mega Charizard X finally found it's way into part Dragon. This is also why I'd like to see a Pegasus as Rapidash's Mega evolution (finding it's true hidden potential) rather than just slap it on a variation of Rapidash.

So basically, I'd be into variants of Pokémon that aren't really expected or "should have been", like we have with Ninetales and Sandslash.

And a few minutes prior to you saying that, I edited my post to include a mock up for a Pegagus Rapidash...oops. o_O

Honestly, I'd be fine with Pegasus Rapidash, though, seeing as it would be a different branch of development. One is a pegasus, the other is a unicorn (my Alolan Rapidash doesn't have a horn).

Last edited:

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
If they did split forms of Rapidash, I want colors representing The Four Horseman of Apocalypse. Red, a Black that's shiny, White, and a Pale Green shiny. Another oversight by GF! Jeez, they're batting a thousand right now.

Thepowaofhax

If they did split forms of Rapidash, I want colors representing The Four Horseman of Apocalypse. Red, a Black that's shiny, White, and a Pale Green shiny. Another oversight by GF! Jeez, they're batting a thousand right now.
I don't think GameFreak would pick something to base a form or Pokemon on that is religious (and not based on ancient mythology) without there being some sort of backlash. It would be awesome if they did that, though.

goodpeople25

They have already based Pokemon on figures from still practicing religions and I'm not sure if they have avoided the new testament but Old testament has certainly been fair game not to mention the other still practiced religions.

Thepowaofhax

They have already based Pokemon on figures from still practicing religions and I'm not sure if they have avoided the new testament but Old testament has certainly been fair game not to mention the other still practiced religions.

Which Pokemon are based on still-practicing religions? Because I assure you, if this was the case, there would've been a huge backlash.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Earlier I suggested a Ghost/Fairy or Psychic/Ghost Gardevoir, but I got a better idea: What if it fully embraced a guardian angel and becomes Psychic/Flying or Flying/Fairy? In addition to the wings, it could also have a sword and shield (maybe even get Stance Change?). Lore could be centered around Alolans giving Gardevoirs swords and shields to protect them better to the point where they become part of the Gardevoir. Not sure about the wings, tho.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
So, who thinks we'll get our first non-Gen 1 Aloa Forms in CoroCoro or the Thursday Update?

Also, how about this?

Kingler: When Krabby and Kingler migrated to the Alola Region, they encountered sea life like none they'd ever seen before. This includes Pokemon like Bruxish and Sharpedo, whose sharp, gnashing teeth made them fearsome predators. Krabby was small enough to avoid detection, but Kingler was too large a target, making it obvious prey. Therefore, only Kingler with the thickest shells survived, leading to the Alolan Kingler possessing a heavy, armor-like exoskeleton. This sturdy covering protects Kingler from most attacks with ease, but its weight and lack of flexibility have caused Alolan Kingler to grow slower than their international counterparts

Type: Water/Steel

Ability: Defiant/Sturdy

Hidden Ability: Heavy Metal

HP: 55
ATK: 130
DEF: 125
SPA: 50
SPD: 80
SPE: 35

And the sketch: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ubJh8cUutBbmh6LVlKMDB0emM/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Why Water/Psychic though? It's basically that already lore wise.

I thought we already went over this? From a lore standpoint you may be right but from a gameplay standpoint Psychic typing would make a significant difference, and guess what? We're talking about a game. Not everyone plays Pokemon solely for the lore (which in my opinion is often lacking).

On the other hand I don't really like the idea of a Psychic Golduck, it doesn't really add any important coverage and the only notable resistance is to Fighting. Psychic is a notoriously subpar type both in terms of coverage and weaknesses/resistances. It could definitely do with a buff (IMO Steel should have kept its resistance to Ghost/Dark and lost its Psychic resistance for a start).

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Alola Exeggutor is the only one to keep it's primary type so far. I like to see more variants with same primary/secondary type but with a different secondary/primary type.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Alola Exeggutor is the only one to keep it's primary type so far. I like to see more variants with same primary/secondary type but with a different secondary/primary type.

I'm right there with you, and I have an idea. Maybe shared typing will be seen more with Pokemon who have an Alola Form, but who evolve from a Pokemon that doesn't, as is the case with Exeggutor. Here, like this:

Weezing: Koffing thrive in the Alola Region, living in the regions noxious volcanic gases. However, that led to large numbers of Koffing being grouped together, causing three Koffing to merge upon evolution instead of two. This triplet variant is able to use all three of its brains simultaneously, allowing it to tap into latent Psychic powers. It is said that the citizens of Alola love cars simply due to this Pokemon influencing their minds, as more cars means more pollution for it to subsist in.

Type: Poison/Psychic

Ability: Levitate

ATK: 70
DEF: 110
SPA: 105
SPD: 90
SPE: 60

And here's a quick sketch: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ubJh8cUutBbDIycmtsbTNqZHc/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I'm right there with you, and I have an idea. Maybe shared typing will be seen more with Pokemon who have an Alola Form, but who evolve from a Pokemon that doesn't, as is the case with Exeggutor. Here, like this:

Weezing: Koffing thrive in the Alola Region, living in the regions noxious volcanic gases. However, that led to large numbers of Koffing being grouped together, causing three Koffing to merge upon evolution instead of two. This triplet variant is able to use all three of its brains simultaneously, allowing it to tap into latent Psychic powers. It is said that the citizens of Alola love cars simply due to this Pokemon influencing their minds, as more cars means more pollution for it to subsist in.

Type: Poison/Psychic

Ability: Levitate

ATK: 70
DEF: 110
SPA: 105
SPD: 90
SPE: 60

And here's a quick sketch: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ubJh8cUutBbDIycmtsbTNqZHc/view?usp=sharing
I like it! I'd actually like it better than a Posion/Fire Weezing.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I like it! I'd actually like it better than a Posion/Fire Weezing.

Thanks! I was actually all about Poison/Fire when I was thinking about a Mega Weezing, but as for an Alola Form, that would take some of the attention away from Salandit. Besides, this way we get a never before seen Type combo, and it could tie into past Dex entries for Weezing and explain Koffing getting Psywave and Psybeam through breeding. It had a little nugget of Psychic potential all along! :D

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I think a Fire/Dark Koffing could be really awesome as well.

Eh, I don't necessarily see Weezing as evil, so Dark doesn't quite fit. It may harm others, but that's just a byproduct of its toxicity, and not anything intentional.

So, I'm curious, what would everyone like to see next? I have ideas lined up for Magmar/Magmortar, Diglett/Dugtrio, Aipom/Ambipom, and the Zubat line. All this designing and theorizing is so much fun!

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Eh, I don't necessarily see Weezing as evil, so Dark doesn't quite fit. It may harm others, but that's just a byproduct of its toxicity, and not anything intentional.

So, I'm curious, what would everyone like to see next? I have ideas lined up for Magmar/Magmortar, Diglett/Dugtrio, Aipom/Ambipom, and the Zubat line. All this designing and theorizing is so much fun!
Dark doesn't necessarily means Evil (despite its japanese name). See Absol, it is a dark type and it actually tries to save people warning them about the disasters it foresees. Or Pangoro, the anti-bullying bancho.

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild

I'm hoping for some changes to the Poliwag line/Politoed, Sunkern/Sunflora, Oddish line, Beautifly/Dustox, and Alomomola

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Dark doesn't necessarily means Evil (despite its japanese name). See Absol, it is a dark type and it actually tries to save people warning them about the disasters it foresees. Or Pangoro, the anti-bullying bancho.

Fair enough on the misunderstood Absol front, but Pangoro encapsulates the violent side of the Dark-Type that Tyranitar, Sharpedo, Krookodile, etc. inhabit, so it fits. But that was just my opinion when it comes to Weezing. I could end up being right, or it could be Fire/Dark, or maybe it won't get an Alola Form at all. Only time will tell :)

I'm hoping for some changes to the Poliwag line/Politoed, Sunkern/Sunflora, Oddish line, Beautifly/Dustox, and Alomomola

Hmmm What do you think would happen to the Poliwag line? I am a big fan of that evolutionary family.

Last edited:

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
I thought we already went over this? From a lore standpoint you may be right but from a gameplay standpoint Psychic typing would make a significant difference, and guess what? We're talking about a game. Not everyone plays Pokemon solely for the lore (which in my opinion is often lacking).

Sounds like a waste of an Alolan form to me, like making Dragalge a Poison/Water type again so it can utilize it's water moves. It would be better to just give Golduck brand new types.

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild
Hmmm What do you think would happen to the Poliwag line? I am a big fan of that evolutionary family.

Honestly? Poison/Dark dart frog Politoed at least, but incorporate one of the two types into Poliwag/whirl and make them brighter, rearrange those swirlin' intestines. Not too sure about Poliwrath because Poison/Fighting frog is just Croagunk and Dark/Fighting is Scrafty... and Pangoro...

Status
Not open for further replies.