• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Hero

Kinda like the Alolan forms, Meowth's especially is rather neat.

Its rather interesting that they chose fire type of Marowak (and probably Alola Cubone); could it be the belief that fire keeps away predators (thanks Jungle Book) that they chose that type for its new form? The ghost type could be just a call back to Gen I Marowak encountered in Lavender Town...unless its some lore thing about the ghost of Marowak coming to gain revenge on the ones that hunted him down a la Ghost Rider.

Meowth small change in color and looking rather smug might have something to do with the Alola region finding it much more attractive than common meowth; could it be that this alola meowth lost some abilities or strength due to the constant breeding done to it to get it to that form?

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Since Alola Meowth came to be from breeding, that would mean Alolans know Pokemon breed and create Eggs.

You know, unlike the people in other regions that "have no idea how [the Egg] got there."

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Since Alola Meowth came to be from breeding, that would mean Alolans know Pokemon breed and create Eggs.

You know, unlike the people in other regions that "have no idea how [the Egg] got there."
Well, the Alolans do seem to be more in tune with nature. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

LizardonX

Banned
I don't care about Meowth like at all. It's probably just going to be Purrloin 2.0

While ghost fire is a cool typing...its not good for someone like marowak because water, ground, dark,(stealth)Rock and ghost are all awful weaknesses to have.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

Hopefully, they will just say that "they produced an Egg together" after this point.

Thepowaofhax

Meowth small change in color and looking rather smug might have something to do with the Alola region finding it much more attractive than common meowth; could it be that this alola meowth lost some abilities or strength due to the constant breeding done to it to get it to that form?

It also depends on how they bred it. It looks like Persian would be a black panther when it evolves. Likely, it might lose some speed/special defense and special attack to boost up some attack and make it more of a hard-hitting fast Pokemon. Perhaps 15 from each stat for attack. After all, we don't know if it was bred to be one of those panthers those attack panthers from the movies or just a domesticated cat.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
I'd like to think that the Pokemon that the Alolan Royal Family bred Meowth with was actually Purrloin. I'm sure it's been brought up before, but it would explain the somewhat smug look, stance and Dark typing.

And Marowak... It's interesting, it seems a lot thinner than its regular incarnation, so perhaps it could be speedy attacker or a glass cannon?

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
If Alola Marowak does get a speed boost as well as a priority move, watch out.

Even with a possible attack nerf, Thick Club is gonna make it hurt. A potential top-grade revenge killer here.

Little Hero

It also depends on how they bred it. It looks like Persian would be a black panther when it evolves. Likely, it might lose some speed/special defense and special attack to boost up some attack and make it more of a hard-hitting fast Pokemon. Perhaps 15 from each stat for attack. After all, we don't know if it was bred to be one of those panthers those attack panthers from the movies or just a domesticated cat.

Maybe...unless they made it a more defensive pokemon, more focused on defensive and status moves like male Meowstic.

But then again, the breeding might have made them even more delicate than usual.

Last edited:

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer

People know in all the regions that compatible pokemon produce eggs, the "have no idea how it got there" line has to do with how no one has ever seen a pokemon lay an egg so its not known if they actually lay them or produce them in some other way (since other text in the games clarifies that pokemon eggs are not actually eggs but basically cocoons/cradles).

Thepowaofhax

Maybe...unless they made it a more defensive pokemon, more focused on defensive and status moves like male Meowstic.

I highly doubt they went that route considering this go round, Alolan Meowth looks more smug than it does look bulky, not to mention that it is likely not to lose it's speed, making it hard to give usable defensive stats without making it piss-poor at offensive, unlike Meowstic.

Rampharos

We've had Pokemon breeders as a trainer class for quite some time, as well as references to moves and stats being hereditary. I wouldn't really blame them for continuing the vagueness. The franchise cops enough flak for certain themes without it being public about being an inbreeding simulator.

gliscor&yanmega

So Meowth and Marowak got their's, the latter was obvious to happen, but nice to see Meowth get one too.

Alolan Meowth looks fancy. Kind of wish they showed Alolan Persian too though.

Alolan Marowak looks like someone you don't want to walk into in a dark alley.

Still only Gen 1, so hopefully next batch will be from other Gens.

.Aerodactyl.

Marrowak I think was a really smart Alolan form design. I can logically see how that developed along... Marrowak having to defends itself starts lighting it's tool (boomerang bone) on fire, stealing or finding fires from volcanos and humans. Even so, many Marrowak perish at the plight of grass types, but over time marrowak begin to perfect the fire juggling art, and even learn to light their own fires. They eventually use these fires to not only defend themselves, but pay tribute to their fallen brethren (cubones and marrowak being especially sensitive to death naturally, as seen in lavender Town). Marrowaks, known to manifest as ghosts in past regions, begin to communicate more to their living marrowak relatives through the fires, and eventually this manipulation of fire and being more in tune with the ghosts led to the fire/ghost typing. :D

Sakuraba

Marrowak I think was a really smart Alolan form design. I can logically see how that developed along... Marrowak having to defends itself starts lighting it's tool (boomerang bone) on fire, stealing or finding fires from volcanos and humans. Even so, many Marrowak perish at the plight of grass types, but over time marrowak begin to perfect the fire juggling art, and even learn to light their own fires. They eventually use these fires to not only defend themselves, but pay tribute to their fallen brethren (cubones and marrowak being especially sensitive to death naturally, as seen in lavender Town). Marrowaks, known to manifest as ghosts in past regions, begin to communicate more to their living marrowak relatives through the fires, and eventually this manipulation of fire and being more in tune with the ghosts led to the fire/ghost typing. :D

Damn.... If I didn't already had a Fire-type on my team, I would gladly use Marowak again this time around.

LittleEvil

Veteran Trainer
I dont know if anyone else has stated this, so sorry if im repeating:

As we know, one of the trial captains is stated to own a Marowak. The obvious speculation is that Cubone/Marowak will get fire typing, but im hoping it goes a step further and makes them fire/steel. Think about it, their skull helmets would be made of metal! and Marowak's bone could become some sort of torch for him to blow fire on his enemies, kinda like Delphox. Boost his defenses and attack, and fire/steel marowak would be a beast! (and yes, im hoping for this so heatran looses some of his popularity, even though his stats may still be bigger than alola marowak)

Well i was half right with my speculation! But honestly part ghost type makes sense too, seeing as the lore behind them has always been spooky. Im liking it. Curious about their ability and stats now.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
So the cavemon with the bone club has discovered fire. Soon it will discover electricity.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
So the cavemon with the bone club has discovered fire. Soon it will discover electricity.

In Gen 8 we'll get a Rock-Type Form that has discovered the wheel. Rollout and Steamroller will be its moves of choice.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Loving Meowth and Marowak. Marowak is one of my favorite pokemon so this is awesome. I wonder tho if it is still able to use Thick Club. Hopefully.

Also can't wait to see alola persian. Hopefully it is dual typed.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
After Exeggutor and Sandshrew's line, I thought the Alolan variants would end up being more than just palette swaps.

Alas, it was not meant to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.