• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at that Tauros in these new images. He looks way more buff, his mane and horns are white and his tails are black. That does not look like a normal Tauros to me. We're getting an Alola version of it no doubt.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Alola Kingdra - Ice/Dragon with Adaptability. Kingdra of Alola have adapted to ice cold temperatures in water due to an oil spill that happened which forces them away from their normal habitat.
If Kingdra line is confirmed to not have Alola form then replace it with Lapras or something.

But there are presumably no cold waters in Alola. How would that work?

Instead of Megas for the Johto starters, it would be interesting to give them all completely new types and not just shift the regular types around. The only other perfect circle is Flying/Fighting/Rock so i'd like to see:

Chikorita: Flying (with a giant feather sticking out of its head)
Totodile: Fighting
Cyndaquil: Rock (with gem shards jutting out of its back.)

I have two problems with that, there are no starters in the wild, so how would you get an Alolan variant, and, more importantly, I think that taking away the Grass, Fire, Water typings of the Starters is an awful idea. Add other types to them maybe, but don't take them away.

Look at that Tauros in these new images. He looks way more buff, his mane and horns are white and his tails are black. That does not look like a normal Tauros to me. We're getting an Alola version of it no doubt.

No, that is the Pokeride Tauros, and we have already seen footage of it, and it is normal. That is just a trick of the lighting.

Nave

I'm against this idea. For one reason.

As far as I understand it, Alolan forms aren't any stronger than regular forms. At least in numbers. An Alolan Marowak would still have the 425 BST of a regular Marowak, just rearranged. But Megas add a 100 BST to the Pokemon. Having the Johto starters with an A-Form would basically make them weaker than the Kanto/Hoenn starters.

I agree that the starters should get Megas, especially the Johto ones; but at the same time, maybe they don't want Mega Meganiam. Having variants are a way of getting around that. We still don't know if Alolan formes have the same overall BST or not. Presumably, most of them do.

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild

It's just the harsh highlighting. Trust me. Look at how bright Mudsdale's tip of the head is.

Sunny Day amirite

If we were getting an Alolan Tauros, we'd of seen it by now because we've been seeing normal Tauros for ages, Pokéride and over world.

gliscor&yanmega

As far as I understand it, Alolan forms aren't any stronger than regular forms. At least in numbers. An Alolan Marowak would still have the 425 BST of a regular Marowak, just rearranged. But Megas add a 100 BST to the Pokemon. Having the Johto starters with an A-Form would basically make them weaker than the Kanto/Hoenn starters.

We don't really know how the stats will work. However, even if they keep their same BST, rearranging them could still put them on levels of Megas, just have to reduce a stat a bit and use that for other stats, similar with what happened with Beedrill. We likely wont know until the games are out.

On that subject, to guess the stats for Alolan Marowak and Alolan Persian:

Alolan Marowak-60/15/80/100/80/90

Alolan Persian-65/20/60/115/65/115

Thepowaofhax

We don't really know how the stats will work. However, even if they keep their same BST, rearranging them could still put them on levels of Megas, just have to reduce a stat a bit and use that for other stats, similar with what happened with Beedrill. We likely wont know until the games are out.

On that subject, to guess the stats for Alolan Marowak and Alolan Persian:

Alolan Marowak-60/15/80/100/80/90

Alolan Persian-65/20/60/115/65/115

I honestly do not see Marowak getting such a low ATK stat; it still has a bone club. The difference its that it has flames at both ends; it is most likely to be a physical attacker, which means it probably has easy access to physical Fire-type moves like Flare Blitz, Flame Charge, Flame Wheel, Fire Punch/Kick, etc.

ABC595

If A-marowack gets bone rush, bone club ect. Are we expecting some sort of ability to give them Aditional fire typing?

Thepowaofhax

If A-marowack gets bone rush, bone club ect. Are we expecting some sort of ability to give them Aditional fire typing?

It's Ghost/Fire-type. It could still possible get those moves though, seeing as it still has a bone as a weapon.

gliscor&yanmega

I honestly do not see Marowak getting such a low ATK stat; it still has a bone club. The difference its that it has flames at both ends; it is most likely to be a physical attacker, which means it probably has easy access to physical Fire-type moves like Flare Blitz, Flame Charge, Flame Wheel, Fire Punch/Kick, etc.

Well I was thinking more along the lines of not making it too similar to regular Marowak where it possibly overshadows it in terms of battling. Of course, if it goes the Special route than it becomes more like Chandelure. If it's a Physical attacker than just a simply switch of the attacks so 100 Attack/15 Special Attack.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

I don't expect Alolan Marowak to not know Ground-type moves, just as I don't expect Alolan Ninetales to not know Fire-type moves.

They may have adapted, but they're still the same pokemon.

Thepowaofhax

Well I was thinking more along the lines of not making it too similar to regular Marowak where it possibly overshadows it in terms of battling. Of course, if it goes the Special route than it becomes more like Chandelure. If it's a Physical attacker than just a simply switch of the attacks so 100 Attack/15 Special Attack.

Too similar to regular Marowak? Not really. Just because both are physical attackers does not make it similar. Unlike the original Marowak, this one is decently fast and could potentially hit hard if you switch Sp. ATK and ATK. The original was more of a physically defensive, bulky attacker.

ABC595

It's Ghost/Fire-type. It could still possible get those moves though, seeing as it still has a bone as a weapon.
I can't help but feel it should get those moves, although 2/3 bone moves are exclusive to marowack so I guess we could get exclusive ghost/fire bone moves.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
That's a very neat concept at all, but I don't see Gumshoos causing problems for Arbok, there is just too much of a size difference. And Gumshoos is an ambush predator, not really the type to quickly burn through another population.
I don't think the size difference doesn't necessarily matters. Smaller Pokemon can still be incredibly dangerous. I mean, just look at Excadrill. It's has a Base Attack stat of 135 and was banned up to Ubers in Gen 5, but the little fella is only 2'4". Size does not always equate to strength in the Pokemon World.

Still, I'll keep this in mind. Just trying to turn out some solid potential designs and concepts, so every bit of criticism

I agree that Alolan Marowak will likely Physical, seeing as (like I speculated in an earlier post) it seems to be based on the Nightmarchers of Hawaiian mythology, which were the torch bearing spirits of deceased warriors. That said, I don't know if GF would min/max it like that. Sure, they did it with Mega Beedrill and certain newer Mons (Darmanitan and the Honedge Line come to mind), but I'm not sure if they'll do it with Marowak and other Alola Forms. Still, it really comes down to its movepool and Abilities to determine what its stats should be, so we'll wait and see what this thing is working with, then maybe we'll have a better Idea of its potential stat spread.

I don't expect Alolan Marowak to not know Ground-type moves, just as I don't expect Alolan Ninetales to not know Fire-type moves.

They may have adapted, but they're still the same pokemon.

I theorize that it will at least get some Ground Moves through Breeding. I mean, clearly it has the potential to use them, given its non-Alolan form. Similarly, I think that all Pokemon with Alola Forms will be able to pass moves of their type(s) down to their non-Alolan variants, and vice-versa (Icy Wind to Vulpix, Flame Burst to Alolan Vulpix, etc.).

Last edited:

Thepowaofhax

I can't help but feel it should get those moves, although 2/3 bone moves are exclusive to marowack so I guess we could get exclusive ghost/fire bone moves.

True. Most likely it will at least get bonemerang, seeing as it still has a bone club and would make sense with the current Hawaiian fire dancing theme; I'm pretty sure those fire dancers do eventually throw the torches into the air and catch them, so why not weaponize your bone torch like so?

League

Master Abra Catcher

We don't actually know that Alolan pokemon have the same bst as their traditionally known forms, nor do we know of any rule yet. Alolan Exeggutor could have +20 BST over the original while Alolan Persian loses 20 BST from the original.

As well, Mega pokemon basically trade the use of an item for an exclusive space, +100 bst with reorganized stats, and a different ability (not necessarily always better) and possibly some "modular" advantage consequent to the switch (i.e., Intimidate Gyarados-->Moxie Mega Gyarados, or Sableye-->Mega Sableye). A lot of pokemon hit less powerfully than their normal counterpart with an item.

Mega forms may increase the usage of pokemon that are reworked to a great degree like Kangaskhan, Sableye, and Mawile. And sure, some other pokemon in their base forms (that are viable otherwise) do get a "Mega edge" by having increased unpredictability because they have a Mega form that they don't necessarily have to use, and Alolan forms will likely betray their Alolanness. But, otherwise, Alolan forms practically have to be viewed as different pokemon from the original. Mega forms increase the usage of the base form, in a sense.

I agree that the starters should get Megas, especially the Johto ones; but at the same time, maybe they don't want Mega Meganiam. Having variants are a way of getting around that. We still don't know if Alolan formes have the same overall BST or not. Presumably, most of them do.
But Mega Meganium is an awesome name.

[Blah blah blah, Marowak...]
If Marowak keeps the same base stats, then it could get this stats distribution (HP/Attack/Defense/Speed/sp. Attack/Sp. Def., code order) 65/65/65/90/65/80, with the proviso that the Bone club item now also doubles Marowak's Special Attack. This would make an all-around versatile pokemon, as it would have speed, two sizeable offenses, and could cover for its defense with the burn condition. It's HP would also be the same as the original Marowak, which we saw was true with Mega pokemon, which would mean it could possibly share the same item as a normal Marowak for a Mega or Synchro evolution (assuming that a Synchro evolution needs an item).

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

I doubt starters would get anything other than mega evolutions, with the exception of Kanto starters, 'cause they pretty much get everything.

As for Alolan forms, it seems only Gen 1 pokemon will receive them, which is cool, I guess. I don't think we'll have to worry about the Johto starters getting Alolan forms.

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
You know, I see a lot of talk about Megas still, even though we're relatively close to release and none have been revealed. Z-attacks may be replacing megas this gen. It's a similar mechanic, only usable one per battle, but unlike megas, it is truly only usable once per battle, rather than possibly hanging around for an entire sweep. I could be wrong, but I think the mega mechanic has been replaced, between Z-attacks and new Alola forms to bring life to older pokemon.

I really like the idea of the Alola forms. Having different "sub-species" in specific regions is really interesting. I do wonder about stat spreads and whether or not they change at all. I would like to at least see them possibly rearranged a little to further separate the species. I'm really excited about the rumored Dark type Rattatta line. I've always liked Raticate and I'd love to be able to use it on my Dark teams.

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild
You know, I see a lot of talk about Megas still, even though we're relatively close to release and none have been revealed. Z-attacks may be replacing megas this gen. It's a similar mechanic, only usable one per battle, but unlike megas, it is truly only usable once per battle, rather than possibly hanging around for an entire sweep. I could be wrong, but I think the mega mechanic has been replaced, between Z-attacks and new Alola forms to bring life to older pokemon.

I really like the idea of the Alola forms. Having different "sub-species" in specific regions is really interesting. I do wonder about stat spreads and whether or not they change at all. I would like to at least see them possibly rearranged a little to further separate the species. I'm really excited about the rumored Dark type Rattatta line. I've always liked Raticate and I'd love to be able to use it on my Dark teams.

Personally, I find variants better than Megas. But as other people have pointed out before, Mega was a big thing for Gen 6 and ORAS didn't really have anything new to show us aside from an oversized bee. It's likely it's just taking the backseat to Z Moves.

Gryphon_0987

Maybe, I'm late to the party, but, in that recent scan, there appeared to be an Alolan Tauros at the top, near the Mudsdales. I'm 98% certain that it isn't a Shiny Tauros as those are green.

Status
Not open for further replies.