• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please stop discussion what the Fairy type is and isn't. Since we've been through this many times and it only derails the threads.

Thepowaofhax

Anyways, I have a current list of evil Fairy-types we could make Gen 1 Pokemon into for Alola forms.
Jynx - Fairy/Psychic or Ghost/Fairy. It becomes a banshee, probably to allow it to live in non-Snowy conditions and avoid the new Sandslashes, as they are Steel-types.
Zubat-Crobat - Flying/Fairy or Dark/Fairy. It becomes a Sluagh, a demonic fairy from Scottish folklore that would hunt for the souls of dying humans. Since Dark-types play dirty and it is a Fairy, it does make sense for it to get this typing. It could adapt to be this way to take advantage of weakened Pokemon for prey, as Dark-types use dirty tactics, and it could be Fairy-type to pick off other Dark or competing Fighting-types where it finds its prey.
Gastly-Gengar - Fire/Fairy or Ghost/Fairy. Again, based on the Will-o-the-Wisp, it would lead its victims to their deaths. It could evolve into a Fairy to look more inviting if it is going to lead its prey to an unfortunate demise, and Fire could be so it can deal with Steel-types or because Will-o-the-Wisps are generally Fire elementals in RPGs.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
A pale pink or pale green shiny alola Ninetails would be bomb.

I like the idea of water growlith inhabiting the beach and preying on fish. Maybe a dragonair line that stays in the water and doesn't form wings into barneynite.

I could almost see it being similar to vulpix's new lore. Growlithe came to the island with humans, they escapes to the beaches to avoid the territories of other fierce animals and ended up adapting to prey on fish as you said. I like that! Maybe the huge amount of fairy pokemon will drive Dragonite to the seas, or maybe there will be a new dragon stopper that's directly related to hunting dragons and not just the perfect typing like the new ninetales lol.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
If the Water Arcanine thing is true, I think it's lore would be centered around finding food in the water, and thus adapted to swimming and over time began losing its Fire-type because it's water skills became more useful.

Gizmoa

I could almost see it being similar to vulpix's new lore. Growlithe came to the island with humans, they escapes to the beaches to avoid the territories of other fierce animals and ended up adapting to prey on fish as you said. I like that! Maybe the huge amount of fairy pokemon will drive Dragonite to the seas, or maybe there will be a new dragon stopper that's directly related to hunting dragons and not just the perfect typing like the new ninetales lol.

I like a growlithe driven into the ocean thing too (as I said a few months ago), but I do wonder what it would end up looking like. I really just would like a blue growlithe, but I don't know that it would work with the ocean lore well enough, it would need more... like fishman ears or something, lol.

Water pokemon that normally come on land, but now can't for some reason could give cool stuff too.

I expect that since we had year round sun = giant plant form that we will also get island made itty bitty animal form as well.

It would also be cool if we had one "rediscovered" fossil pokemon that turned out not to be extinct and we got the typing without the rock for it's alolan form.

edit:
There were also a lot of pokemon who had drastically different looking forms in the first games (sometimes just the behind view) and I would absolutely adore it if those came back as alternate forms... articuno as a snow goose/ice sculpture etc... actually I just want swan literal ice bird back.

edit 2:
Really, even though I originally was looking for an excuse for blue growlithe when I said water growlithe, ponyta may be more likely since there are real world cases of horses that get driven off islands by people yearly to thin the population and I could see them adapting to move through an archipelago by being water, and then just because I want them to fly, rapidash goes even further and gets around by flying... or maybe it will just go straight to flying, who knows.... I do think ponyta is a pretty likely candidate though (unless they just go mega with it).

Last edited:

Anthea

Hmmm good idea a dragonite that retaines previous blue orb design is fine by me, they could stick to dnair lore and make him a weather starter. or there could be a dragon that has adapted to fairies and becom part fire , i suggested a fire dragon goodra that evolves via sunny weather.

.Aerodactyl.

I love the living fossil idea!!! So cool :D

I could honestly see Growlithe becoming a fire-fighter and that's why he needs the water type. Not sure how they'd explain it, but it kinda makes sense since he's already hebpokice Pokémon. Make his variant the fire fighting Pokémon!

Anthea

I like a growlithe driven into the ocean thing too (as I said a few months ago), but I do wonder what it would end up looking like. I really just would like a blue growlithe, but I don't know that it would work with the ocean lore well enough, it would need more... like fishman ears or something, lol.

Water pokemon that normally come on land, but now can't for some reason could give cool stuff too.

I expect that since we had year round sun = giant plant form that we will also get island made itty bitty animal form as well.

It would also be cool if we had one "rediscovered" fossil pokemon that turned out not to be extinct and we got the typing without the rock for it's alolan form.

edit:
There were also a lot of pokemon who had drastically different looking forms in the first games (sometimes just the behind view) and I would absolutely adore it if those came back as alternate forms... articuno as a snow goose/ice sculpture etc... actually I just want swan literal ice bird back.

I imagine aquanine to have smooth sleek wet fur. Maybe brown or light colour to camo. Wavy ocean print to replace tiger print again used as camo. Omg Vaporeon is ther perfect example of Aqua dog:feline. Maybe he will get earfins like Vaporeon.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist

edit:

I could see arcanine being blue (obviously) with the same black stripes, or maybe they'll turn into circles to look like bubbles, making him less tiger oriented and like more jaguar? idk abotu that part. I could see the whiskers on him, maybe claws with obvious webbing in them.

The fossil is a wonderful idea!!!!!

ugh yeah i think those would be awesome.
Playing through blue version on the 3ds really made realize how the sprites in the games could have been taken SO different than the anime designs if they were done by someone else lol. lol about the articuno snow goose thing, never thought of that :p
Well we know there is a new marowak that's fire typing, so that'd be super awesome if it lost its helmet due to being too hot or something :p

Last edited:

Gizmoa

I could see arcanine being blue (obviously) with the same black stripes, or maybe they'll turn into circles to look like bubbles, making him less tiger oriented and like more jaguar? idk abotu that part. I could see the whiskers on him, maybe claws with obvious webbing in them.

The fossil is a wonderful idea!!!!!

ugh yeah i think those would be awesome.
Playing through blue version on the 3ds really made realize how the sprites in the games could have been taken SO different than the anime designs if they were done by someone else lol. lol about the articuno snow goose thing, never thought of that :p
Well we know there is a new marowak that's fire typing, so that'd be super awesome if it lost its helmet due to being too hot or something :p

Yeah, I won't keep repeating myself since I already have talked about marowak a ton in the last few pages, but I am really excited to see how they handle it since I just love cubone. Just so many ways to go with it.... yeah, it was playing the old games again that really reminded me of that.

DemonDragon

Ironclad trainer
As I mentioned in the other thread, I'd like to see Marowak become Ground/Fire. Replace the bone club with a torch (to match the dancer theme of Kiawe) and make its color a brick red. Could prob leave the skull but maybe give it a bit of a paint pattern?

Thepowaofhax

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'd like to see Marowak become Ground/Fire. Replace the bone club with a torch (to match the dancer theme of Kiawe) and make its color a brick red. Could prob leave the skull but maybe give it a bit of a paint pattern?
Alternatively, the skull could be charred black.

Julia Artemis

Ones that I think could legit happen are Magnemite that's Fire/Rock, Rapidash that is Psychic/Flying, Electrabuzz that's Ground/Dark, and Parasect Bug/Ghost

Gizmoa

Ones that I think could legit happen are Magnemite that's Fire/Rock, Rapidash that is Psychic/Flying, Electrabuzz that's Ground/Dark, and Parasect Bug/Ghost

oh yeah parasect is an interesting thought... it could also just be pure bug and not be born with the infection... though would it really be pure bug or would it actually be the mushroom without the host and be pure grass, or a different host?

Last edited:

Frisky

These are all great ideas. Especially the living fossil and the Marowak ideas. I can't wait for these games. It's going to be interesting to see how competitive will be like with these alternate forms of Pokemon. I just hope that they give love to the Drowzee line and make them Dark/Fairy and a decent buff to its stats making it viable in the UU and OU tier. That would be so cool. It goes so well with the Sandman theme like someone in this forum mentioned. Also, I hope the rumor of the Growlithe line getting a water typing is true.

I.AM.SO.FRIGGEN.HYPED.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Another idea I saw on another site, Alolan Aegislash line. Instead of a sword it looks like a Koa/sharks tooth club, and instead of a shield it has a tiki mask.

Frisky

Another idea I saw on another site, Alolan Aegislash line. Instead of a sword it looks like a Koa/sharks tooth club, and instead of a shield it has a tiki mask.

This would be sooooooo friggen cool.

Frisky

Some people are talking like fire marrowak is confirmed, is that the case? Where was it confirmed?

The Fire Captain has a Marowak so that's where it came from.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
Some people are talking like fire marrowak is confirmed, is that the case? Where was it confirmed?

It isn't. But one of the Island Leader people focuses on Fire type, yet he has a Marowak. All speculation so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.