• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frisky

I hope Persian has a second typing (Hopes its fairy)

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
Tangela, Electabuzz, Magmar...I do wonder if they'll bother with pokemon that have cross-gen evolutions

I'd hope that there wouldn't be an Alolan form exclusive to a NFE pokemon. How lame would it be if only Electabuzz had an Alola form with no Alola Electivire to evolve into

It's possible they might only give Alolan forms to Pokemon that haven't receive any big changes to their evolution line.

Julia Artemis

Well if that's the case I hope they give me a Steel Voltorb that looks like a benign coconut and evolves into Alolan Electrode who's Steel/Poison and is based off a Durian

knightwolf09

I'm still hoping for that Poison/Fighting Nidoking and Nidoqueen, as well as Alolan Dragonite.

goodpeople25

Tangela, Electabuzz, Magmar...I do wonder if they'll bother with pokemon that have cross-gen evolutions

I'd hope that there wouldn't be an Alolan form exclusive to a NFE pokemon. How lame would it be if only Electabuzz had an Alola form with no Alola Electivire to evolve into
Electrabuzz? Not really that lame. (With a good stat distribution and ability I think he would be fine, 490 isn't really that bad, plus it's an item trade so I don't often end up evolving it anyway, flavour wise the apperance and stats between buzz and vire differ enough I think it works, and of course this also applies to Magmar ) Some of the others would suck though.

Last edited:

knightwolf09

Given that Dragonite is listed in its normal state as a Pokemon found in the Alola Region, I'd imagine it won't be getting an Alolan form.

I'm telling you there's something up with them choosing Zubat and Dragonite specifically to focus on. Other wise many other pokemon should've been listed down along with them.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I'm telling you there's something up with them choosing Zubat and Dragonite specifically to focus on. Other wise many other pokemon should've been listed down along with them.
It could be Megas.

R_N

Electrabuzz? Not really that lame. (With a good stat distribution and ability I think he would be fine, 490 isn't really that bad, plus it's an item trade so I don't often end up evolving it anyway, flavour wise the apperance and stats between buzz and vire differ enough I think it works, and of course this also applies to Magmar ) Some of the others would suck though.

But then it just becomes...an Electivire. Certainly, an Alolan Electabuzz would be neat, but an Alolan Electivire would be just as neat. Also going out of their way to snub stuff not in gen 1 to the point of only doing the middles of pokemon lines would just be mean.

It'd be like if there was only an Alolan Pikachu, but no Alola Raichu, you know?

clbgolden12

Not sure of that either, cause they would've shown Crobat. Someone once brought up the idea of version exclusive Alola forms.
We've already seen normal Zubat and Golbat used by trainers, tho.

Sallin

I'm trying to guess just how many Alola variants there may be in total. I'm thinking there's a probability of around 30 max? A box worth? They've all been for two stage evolutions, some of which havent included preevolutions. So that could give us around 20 different evolution families exhibiting variants?

I'm hoping for a number close to this so that it hopefully hasn't impacted the introduction of new species by much in this generation

Isn't Raichu a three-stage evolution? ^^ I know it's only for the last evo in the line, but doesn't that open up Alolan forms to anything?

knightwolf09

We've already seen normal Zubat and Golbat used by trainers, tho.

Then version exclusive could work with covering them up. Like they can switch up game version footage to hide the forms. Like if Zubat had a variant in Moon, Sun footage would regular Zubat. Vice versa for Dragonite.

clbgolden12

Then version exclusive could work with covering them up. Like they can switch up game version footage to hide the forms. Like if Zubat had a variant in Moon, Sun footage would regular Zubat. Vice versa for Dragonite.
But it was a trainer battle, with Team Skull as well. I don't see why they would have version exclusive battles.

goodpeople25

But then it just becomes...an Electivire. Certainly, an Alolan Electabuzz would be neat, but an Alolan Electivire would be just as neat. Also going out of their way to snub stuff not in gen 1 to the point of only doing the middles of pokemon lines would just be mean.

It'd be like if there was only an Alolan Pikachu, but no Alola Raichu, you know?
Yeah they kinda are the same, you have to purposely use an item to get both of them so it works pretty well. Though Pikachu is alot worse stat and appearance wise, Electabuzz differs alot more in those areas. (Different proportions and stat placements) Hope you get better luck in picking examples.
And I'm going hypothetically on a case by case basis, what in means in principle is a different matter.

But it was a trainer battle, with Team Skull as well. I don't see why they would have version exclusive battles.
To keep part of the experince of having version based teams without actually having 2 teams?

Last edited:

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Very original idea! I would love that kind of muk!
Thank you!

that would be an interesting typing and the lore makes more sense than a lot of the actual Alolan forms but there are a lot of ice types already in the Alolan forms so they might want to change it up.

I know, had they not added a lot of ice typings, it would have been more likely, but still would be cool. And seems like the only poison/ice typing for a while.

goodpeople25

It would also imply that one line of zubats adapted to the environment, but the other one didn't. That'll be hard to explain, then again we do have raichu...
Alternate universe. Done. (Well I suppose that works best for event based explanations but still pretty simple)

clbgolden12

To keep part of the experince of having version based teams without actually having 2 teams?
That seems kind of useless, Skull is already the same team so I don't see why they'd want to give us a cheap affect of making it "seem" like we have two teams.

goodpeople25

Compared to whole locations and evil teams (and Pokemon too) ? Not really. The bump i guess is that the alolan forms so far have well thoughg out explanations for them. But still just not have that explanation happen.

R_N

Yeah they kinda are the same, you have to purposely use an item to get both of them so it works pretty well. Though Pikachu is alot worse stat and appearance wise, Electabuzz differs alot more in those areas. (Different proportions and stat placements) Hope you get better luck in picking examples.
And I'm going hypothetically on a case by case basis, what in means in principle is a different matter.

Electivire is still treated as the end of the Electabuzz line, though. It's a direct increase in most stats except Speed (which it loses by a mere 10 points) & they actually have the exact same Special Defense & Special Attack, even. Just because it became attack-focused & evolves by an item trade doesn't invalidate me saying that it would be lame if Electabuzz got an Alola form and Electivire does not.

I used Pikachu as an example solely because it was a middle-stager and Pikachu almost always gets the goods while Raichu gets nothing.
But whatever, apply it to Porygon, Onix, Magneton, Tangela, Rhydon, etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.