• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmoa

It's hairy maybe (like a mangoose) but not that much more than yungoos, and it's not fat at all.

indeed, it is clearly a detective with it's hair forming the trench coat dovetails/detailings and the flat cap hat associated with detectives in japan.

edit: though tbh it is usually the assistant that has the flat cap, so that is a bit different.... almost makes me wonder if gumshoos actually has a surprise 3rd stage late game.

Last edited:

Thepowaofhax

It's hairy maybe (like a mangoose) but not that much more than yungoos, and it's not fat at all.

No, it does look like it has a beer belly going on when it is standing. Of course, it could just be subjective, but it does look like a fat mongoose to me.

.Aerodactyl.

Posted this earlier in the starters thread, but it's relevant here.

All of the leaks have elements of info that they guessed right but some that still haven't been proven/are off. It's also possible some of it was guessed, piggy backed off of others, etc. I have to say that I think form changes nobody saw coming, even when a leak mentioned it, the majority dismissed it as false (myself included). I wanted it, but didn't believe it. I will see if I an try and break them down:

[Spoil]The Chinese leak was said to have appeared a week or less before salandit was revealed on July 7th. The Chinese leak said this originally:

* Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio evolve into an archer, a wrestler, and a siren respectively---this matches this interesting "concept art" that has been circulating for awhile now but has yet to be confirmed or discredited.

* In addition to Salandit, there's New Pokemon based on a mushroom, a dolphin, a sea cucumber, a snowman, and some sort of "rugby monkey"---a monkey with a ball, apparently? If legit I imagine one or two of these Pokemon will be officially revealed soon, perhaps in CoroCoro, and if so that will speak to the legitimacy of this leak.

* Rockruff will evolve into a werewolf. The official site mentions Rockruff howling at night prior to evolution in its flavor text and if this list was originally seen before then, not sure though when it first appeared, that's a plus for it.

* Marshadow, a name we saw trademarked alongside the Box Legendaries a few months ago, apparently has a "very unique Typing". I've been speculating that Marshadow could be similar to Victini as a Mythical Pokemon revealed prior to the release of Sun and Moon, and I wonder if the upcoming Volcanion film could reveal him if my theory is correct at the end like what happened with Victini at the end of the final Diamond and Pearl film.

* There are apparently these special areas on the map that are hidden at first known as "districts" (?) where powerful Pokemon known as Overlords reside. Are these Legendaries? Or are they simply unusually powerful normal Pokemon with Hidden Abilities perhaps?

* No Gym Leaders. We've yet to see any real sign of Gyms this time around, and I was wondering about that honestly. Instead it seems the plot of the game involves forming a League and each Island is protected by an Island Leader. I assume the first one is Hala and Tapu Koko, who we've seen in previews, who serve as the Island Leaders of Melemele Island. It seems an actual Elite Four will eventually appear, perhaps in the post-game.

* The diamonds seen in the logo, and in the bracelets the playable characters wear, are collectible and seem to unlock functions somewhat simillar to Mega Evolution but not quite---perhaps this is related to the "Super Move" Pikachu is shown using in a shot posted to the official site. One of these stones apparently will be used to access Ash-Greninja.

* You can ride almost any Pokemon, though what "almost any" includes isn't quite clear. A recent shot posted to the official site shows the player riding a Stoutland, so if this list was posted before that it's another plus in its authenticity.

Now some of this came true, some didn't pan out. We don't know how many Pokémon are rideable, but we know it's a rental service and not ours so I think this limilimitw many we will actually get. It does hint at the totem Pokémon with the overlord Pokémon comment. We also have no confirmation that part of the plot is forming the league... The Alola's culture seems to be celebrated and though I don't doubt a league will form, it isn't confirmed to be our mission in the plot. They don't seem to be "trying" to be Kantor, or some other region, but rather you're encouraged to travel Alola and expeeoence it like the locals

Another leak that surfaced was the Newest leak,It he bewear leak, also I believe called the Reddit leak? This one was released before Bewear and Mimmikyu's English names had been revealed,in which an anonymous poster gave the hint of bewear's name, as well as confirming Mimmikyu's english name before release (I know butchered the spelling on that, forgive me). It was also, to my knowledge, one of the first popular leaks to discuss Alola forms. This dates this leak at around July 15th I believe. This is what it said:

There actually are No Gyms
There is more than one evolution for Rockruff including a Werewolf
Yungoos' evolution is fat and hairy
Time works differently in each version
There are new forms of old Pokemon which are not Mega Evolutions but more along the line of Shellos/Wordam. Another chunk of information suggests that these are a few Pokemon that'll get new forms... Butterfree (Bug/Psychic), Rattata line (Dark), Nidoqueen/Nidoking (Poison/Fighting), Ninetails (Fire/Fairy), Growlithe line (Water), Abra line (Fighting), Duduo line (Fighting/Flying)
Pokemon transferred from the VC releases will have pre-gen 6 typings/stats
The stone bracelets have nothing to do with Synchro Evolution
Ash-Greninja is in the game
S.S Anne appears in the game
Larger, but not by much, amount of brand new Pokemon than last gen
Looker, Cynthia, Blue, Zinnia, AZ, and Lance all make appearances
Furfrou's hair cut can be changes in the new Amie
Some of the new forms for old Pokemon get new animations (Mentions the Abra line)
Transferring through Bank will be the only way to get some forms of old Pokemon
There is a flying type bird whose appearance varies each island
There is a 2 stage cat Pokemon that is Normal when captures but will inherit the fathers primary type as its 2nd type when hatched and the color/pattern varies by type
There is a Snowman like mentioned in the Chinese rumor and it is an Ice/Ghost 2 stager and it is an Ice/Ghost 2 stage

Now, we can't confirm most of this yet, but it did successfully predict forms and the bewear and mimmikyu names. However, it mis-labeled Ninetails fire/fairy when it's ice/fairy. If you just looked at Ninetails pic without the info, I can kind of see how you might think it fire fairy, as it is really whispy and it's colouring is similar to its shiny form. So I can see how it would be considered fire still...it doesn't have ice dripping from it or anything. And then there is fat hairy yungoos evolution... This is honestly subjective. He doesn't seem fat and hairy to me in evolution, so it sounds a bit off, but it could be argued. It's so much personal opinion. It does successfully mention the bird Pokémon with four forms, which is pretty big. This one could also just be piggy backing off of another leak that released before it... Or it has true info, or lucky guesses. Either way, we can't know for sure how much is true until more is revealed.

Then there is the new/old leak. This is from July 4th, also on Reddit. No one seemed to be talking about it until now, (the Bewear leak being more popular and well known), but it is older than the Bewear leak and could be around the same time, or just before/after the Chinese leak. This is what it says:

-Once it has learned Howl you can leave Rockruff at 1 of 4 cliffs overnight. It evolves differently on each island but only takes up 1 pokedex slot. The typings are Rock/Dark (Warewolf? Like in the Chinese Rumour), Rock/Fairy, Rock/Fighting, Rock/Steel

-Like Rockruff the starters have alternate evolutions that evolve based on the day/night but only take up 1 slot

-Some old Pokemon found in Alola are different to to those found in other regions mainly their markings/colours for example Alolan Pidove is pure white

-Arbok and a few others have unique markings based on the capture region (6 in total)
Some old Pokemon height/weight/stats change for example Alolan Rapidash has better Sp.Atrack than Attack and Alolan Dodrio are taller

-Unique breeding incenses have gone the way of the dodo. They now hatch like any other Pokemon
Pokemon transferred from older gens keep their stats/apperance they don't change into their Alolan forms.

-The Alolan forms are just new variants not new Pokemon

-Pokemon transferred from G6 will learn the same moves at the same levels and can only get G7 moves through TM/HMs
-
-Pokemon transferred from G1 will have G5 typing/stats but G6 move pools

This is one of the older leaked info, but it does predict the new Alola forms, even if none specifically are mentioned, or if what has been mentioned hasn't been shown/revealed yet. The second leak I posted COULD be piggy backing off of this. Or they are both false, or both true, etc. Or maybe lucky guesses. We won't know for sure until time passes and more is shown to confirm/deny... but, it is interesting it predicted the Alola forms, because I don't think anyone really saw that coming, where as we were already predicting no gyms, etc. I don't think any of these leaks contradict each other either, but they newer ones, as said before, could be building off old ones. And yet, they all have something the predicted true before it being revealed unique to each leak (the starter evolutions, no gyms, the bewear name, the bird Pokémon Oricorio, Alola forms)[/spoil]

Last edited:
Initially I was on the fence about these because it seemed like another cheap way for them to avoid actually making a lot of truly new Pokemon, but then it occurred to me that an alternate form that has its own distinct typing, movepool, ability, etc. really does meet all the qualifications for being considered a new Pokemon. I mean, look at some Pokemon we already have: Sawk and Throh are extremely similar in a lot of ways but are in fact two distinct species. I'd say Sandslash and Snowslash are even more different than each other than those two, even if they do share the same Pokedex slot.

Now, here's where I'm a bit disappointed: If they really are only going to use gen 1 species it's gonna be a real letdown for me. I can think of several species that would thrive in an area like Alola despite not being from gen 1:
*Bellossom: It's a flower-covered hula dancer. The fact that it evolves from a gen 1 species may bode well for it.
*Xatu: It highly resembles a totem pole, which is something we're seeing a lot of here.
*Corsola: Imagine all the different forms it would be able to take. Maybe a sea-fan form that becomes Water/Flying, or maybe a Water/Psychic form based on brain coral.
*Magcargo: Hawaii has some BIG snails, and the fact that the islands are volcanic is even more of a reason for them to thrive there.
*Tropius: Do I really need to explain this one? Even its name hints at it being tropical.

Now, one gen 1 family that I can easily see getting Fire-type Alolan forms is the Grimer line. It would be so easy, just change them from blobs of sludge into blobs of magma.

Last edited:

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
The one thing I hold the most skepticism to in these supposed leaks is the mention of the G5 typings of G1 pokemon- the Fairy changes to Clefable/Jigglypuff/Mime lines seem solid.
Forms might be an explanation that allows them to co-exist with Newly Typed members of the species- but I feel that would be too confusing since these are already established and considered identical from G1 to G6 for players.

Thepowaofhax

The one thing I hold the most skepticism to in these supposed leaks is the mention of the G5 typings of G1 pokemon- the Fairy changes to Clefable/Jigglypuff/Mime lines seem solid.
Forms might be an explanation that allows them to co-exist with Newly Typed members of the species- but I feel that would be too confusing since these are already established and considered identical from G1 to G6 for players.

I don't think they established it like that, it's more like they changed it for the sake of new Fairy-types. Retconning in new Kanto forms for the original Mr. Mimes and Clefables seems like a good idea, especially since we can finally get Tri-Attack Clefable in Gen 7. They could easily change the coloration to be like their Gen 1 sprites without color.

Last edited:

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

I agree. Unless they made them look all awkward and dumpy like the were in their Red & Green sprites, there would be no telling them apart from their non-Alolan counterparts.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Ekans/Arbok: Poison/Psychic
Paras/Parasect: Bug/Ground
Diglett/Dugtrio: Flying or Ground/Flying (stole from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/4vnylx/i_hope_the_alola_region_has_a_flyingtye_diglett/ look at the fanart *_*)
Mankey/Primeape: Fighting/Electric
Dewgong: Water/Fairy
Kingler: Water/Steel
Koffing/Weezing: Poison/Dark
Seaking: Water/Flying (keeping the Lightning Rod ability)

Looking forward the rumored Nidoqueen/Nidoking. Not so sure about Bug/Psychic Butterfree.

GDK

Let's go to unova for a little bit.

a dark/bug type galvantula. In Alola they used to live in an area, but the building of a powerplant (where grubbin chargabug and vikivolt thrive) forced them to migrate into dark cave and adapted to that style.
A fire/Grass maractus. We all know sandshrew left the desertic area because it was too close to an active volcano. Maractus being cacti they could move as well so they adapted and got the fire type.
Something about heatmor and durant changing type for a reason while still keeping their rivalry (but this time with durant on top?)

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
This reminds me of the orange islands just like the trials do. I think it's a pretty neat idea to have some Pokemon look different depending on where they live =)

Gizmoa

This reminds me of the orange islands just like the trials do. I think it's a pretty neat idea to have some Pokemon look different depending on where they live =)

If we get a bunch of pinken island pokemon I will laugh so much.

Getting outside the box a bit, what about less intuaive pokemon form changes... like dark jigglypuff, fairy machop (though water machop makes waaaaaaaaaaay more sense since it is a sailer salamander person)

other gens?
Fire marril
non freaky sunflora
ground luxio
water stunfisk
water eeletric
dark swoobat

really any pokemon could pick up any other types so long as there is an excuse for forcing it into a habitat that requires the change.

Kdude146

I love the idea of Alola Forms for Pokemon I really hope we get more and not just Pokemon from Kanto but Pokemon from all six past regions. Today I was saying to a friend of mine that in Alola the Mareep line could become fire types and their tails light up with a flame inside of the little ball at the end of the tails.

Vivian

I hope alolan Vulpix and ninetails have snow warning as their hidden ability. Many pokemon that seem to be oddly typed should get alolan forms:

Gyarados: water/dragon
Garchomp line: Water/dragon
Voltorb: electric/steel
Chansey/blissey: fairy
Vivillon: Bug/Fairy
Milotic: Water/fairy
Elektross line: electric/water
stunfisk: Eletric/water

Arvis

Um, wow. That Alolan Exeggutor is all I've ever wanted in life. Hopefully with his Dragon Typing he'll become a little more useful. I think this whole Alolan variant thing is awesome!

Last edited:

Thepowaofhax

I hope alolan Vulpix and ninetails have snow warning as their hidden ability. Many pokemon that seem to be oddly typed should get alolan forms:

Gyarados: water/dragon
Garchomp line: Water/dragon
Voltorb: electric/steel
Chansey/blissey: fairy
Vivillon: Bug/Fairy
Milotic: Water/fairy
Elektross line: electric/water
stunfisk: Eletric/water

The Garchomp line does seem like a likely one to get an Alolan form, as one of the 4th Gen pokedexes mentioned it moving from the tropics to underground for geothermal heat. It could easily be more aquatic due to it not needing to be underground.

Also, I wouldn't say that Stunfisk is oddly typed. It's based on a Stargazer, which paralyzes stuff and hides in the mud.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
In terms of taxonomy, two animals are considered of a different species if they can no longer interbreed. In other words, bar a few exceptions such as ring species, two members of the same species can always interbreed. Now, there's no guarantee Pokemon taxonomy works the same way, but since Alolan forms are implied to still be the same species as the default Pokemon, is there any possibility of Alolan forms being able to breed with their standard forms? If so, is there any chance of getting egg moves from their default forms, or vice versa? Wouldn't mind a standard Ninetales with Moonblast or something.

From a competitive standpoint, how will Alolan forms affect species clause? They're completely separate Pokemon in terms of stats/typing/movepool but since they share the same dex number, will they count as the same Pokemon?

.Aerodactyl.

Here are some of my ideas:

One of the leaks mentioned a white pidove. I'm guessing it's more "dove" than pigeon if it's real, and I was thinking it could actually make a great pure flying type. Devoid of big city living on Alola, pidove adopted a more migratory lifestyle, spending much more time in the air/flying between islands and loosing it's normal typing. Or, perhaps a flock of Pidove got caught up in a whirlwind and they were lost at sea, unable to land and becoming pure flying typ le before eventually finding Alola.

I want crystal Onix to be Ice/fairy... perhaps a bunch of Onix got caught in snowslide and became ice type to survive.

I'd love some gen 2 Pokémon, and loving the bellossom and sunflora line, but one of my faves is actually jumpluff! Perhaps it could become grass/fairy, thriving in the Alola sun and becoming to heavy to fly! Or perhaps dropping the grass type somehow, and becoming something wildly different like ground/flying or fire/flying or rock/fire... Like the blew into a volcano and had to adapt.

GDK

In terms of taxonomy, two animals are considered of a different species if they can no longer interbreed. In other words, bar a few exceptions such as ring species, two members of the same species can always interbreed. Now, there's no guarantee Pokemon taxonomy works the same way, but since Alolan forms are implied to still be the same species as the default Pokemon, is there any possibility of Alolan forms being able to breed with their standard forms? If so, is there any chance of getting egg moves from their default forms, or vice versa? Wouldn't mind a standard Ninetales with Moonblast or something.

From a competitive standpoint, how will Alolan forms affect species clause? They're completely separate Pokemon in terms of stats/typing/movepool but since they share the same dex number, will they count as the same Pokemon?

Species clause is : You cannot have 2 pokemon WITH THE SAME POKEDEX NUMBER.
It's most likely that the forms have the same pokedex number so it will affect species clause.
IT's like rotom forms or oricorio when you think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.