• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

League

Master Abra Catcher
I think Diglett should remain Ground-type regardless of whatever new form he gets. If he did get a new form, I guess an ice "affinity" or some other such thing should be what he acquires, with his stats being reworked and the new variant being able to use Ice attacks (but still being weak to Ice, this regional Diglett yet being able to live in icy habitats because it avoids the hard surface conditions by, of course, digging).

Generally I don't think a pokemon should be able to have new resistances to Ice or Fire.

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I think Diglett should remain Ground-type regardless of whatever new form he gets. If he did get a new form, I guess an ice "affinity" or some other such thing should be what he acquires, with his stats being reworked and the new variant being able to use Ice attacks (but still being weak to Ice, this regional Diglett yet being able to live in icy habitats because it avoids the hard surface conditions by, of course, digging).

It could gain a Dark typing. Moles are known to spend a majority of their time underground, where it's dark, resulting in them having very poor eyesight. I could see it becoming Ground/Dark type if it gets an Alolan Form.

Seven of Arcanine

RK9 Unit Trainer
I want Water Arcanine to have a reverse-Extremespeed move (i.e., an attack like Vital Throw) called "Big Kahuna", a 110-power lower-priority Water move. He should also have Hurricane in his movepool, based off of his name and synergizing with the Water type, his original/actual name, and Rain Dance strategies.

I'll repeat it here, but Alolan Exeggutor having a solitary Mega where each head gets its own long neck is on my wishlist.

~

I sortaaaa had the idea of separate forms for different forms for pokemon from different locations a long time ago, as I dreamed up an Electric/Flying version of Talonflame (get this: from another dimension, due to what I inferred into the pokemon world off the fan speculation of mega evolutions being unique to the XY +/- ORAS world due to various sayings of Zinnia) with different stats. (The idea was that there was a "dystopian" dimension where all sorts of pokemon were variously different: for instance, Rayquaza's native form was his dark shiny form as we know it, and he went by the name "Darquaza" instead of Rayquaza. Talonflame was a special pokemon, as it represents the peregrine falcon, which is ubiquitous throughout the world, with my fanon stating that was Talonflame or its counterpart was in fact ubiquitous through all worlds.)

Yup: such a convention would've almost given me infinite ability to mess with and/or reintroduce fixed things in the pokemon world for my fanfiction. Back before the English name for Serperior was known, while its Japanese name of "Jalorda" was, I had been pulling for the name "Coilord".

That said, regional variants do much the same thing for Pokemon fanfiction authors.

Heh, first thing I thought of when Alolan forms were announced was Talonbolt, when?

A water-type Arcanine intrigues me, for obvious reasons. If it looked anything like this pokefusion of Arcanine and Nidoqueen, I'd take it.

gliscor&yanmega

What you said got me thinking of a Diglett that had to live near a volcano and became Rock/Fire, with a molten rock theme going. Or one that lives in a city and became steel type because it was the only way it could be strong enough to dig through gravel.
I had the same thought more or less, debating if it would keep Ground type. I imagine it would though since it likely would still tunnel around.
So Ground/Fire(or Rock), Ground/Steel, or even Ground/Water for beach form.

Thepowaofhax

I've seen it mentioned a few times and I just don't get it. I can't see how Diglett or Dugtrio could logically start flying. If they are driven out they'd probably just go live somewhere new where there is ground. Could live near beaches, volcanos, fields, or even cities.

One could argue that in a certain circumstance where Diglett has to compete for underground space for digging, such as with Drilbur or with Onix, that it could evolve to use clouds as a method of travel to avoid having to compete with Drilbur for underground space. Settling near areas like Volcanos are too risky due to volcanic activity, the beach is dangerous due to Water-types, and the fields are likely overrun by Drilbur underground. Moving to a city could lead to it being forcibly moved for destroying infrastructure.

I mean we saw an eggxecute avolve into A-eggxecutor, how do you get a regular eggxecutor then? so it seems sometimes transfering is the only solution.

But maybe it's gender based we dunno.
We didn't see it evolve into one. It was showing an evolution, but it cut before we could make out the form of the evolution and shown the new form. It is likely Exeggcutes from Alola will breed Exeggcutes that evolve into A-Exeggcute, etc, or they could easily make the original form be obtainable by giving it a Leaf Stone during the night.

Last edited:

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Well transfer the vulpix maybe?
I mean we saw an eggxecute avolve into A-eggxecutor, how do you get a regular eggxecutor then? so it seems sometimes transfering is the only solution.

But maybe it's gender based we dunno.
The official website refer to the usual forms as "as seen in the past", so I'm pretty sure the older forms will be nowhere to be found in Alola.

Andraste

I love Icetales and Snowslash, and I'm looking forward to what else they have. My person top five wishes:

Arcanine: Crossing my fingers that the rumour is true and we have a blue Water type on the way. I love the idea of it helping firefighters instead of police officers.

Rapidash: Flying-type pegasus version! I was hoping for a Fire/Fairy Mega Rapidash, but a Alolan variant could be equally cool. (And since Icetales is part Fairy, maybe Rapidash should stick with Flying instead.)

Noctowl: Psychic seems obvious, but Dark could work as well. It's one of my favourite regional birds design-wise, but it could certainly use the power boost it would get from more interesting typing.

Donphan: This could go in a lot of directions. Steel seems obvious, but I can also imagine a Water type that shoots geysers out of its trunk.

Torkoal: I've wanted to see a Steel/Fire Mega Torkoal since Megas became a thing, but a Water version could also work. They could also go Ground or Rock. I just want them to do something cool with it!

I think they should save the new forms for Pokemon that don't have Mega Evolutions already, at least for now.

ECM

I had the same thought more or less, debating if it would keep Ground type. I imagine it would though since it likely would still tunnel around.
So Ground/Fire(or Rock), Ground/Steel, or even Ground/Water for beach form.

I agree, I actually wouldn't mind seeing any or all of those in the games, and with it digging through Ground it makes sense for it to keep Ground type.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

Generally I don't think a pokemon should be able to have new resistances to Ice or Fire.

I doubt we'll be seeing an Alolan form for Diglett, as I don't think they have anything to adapt to.

They live underground at all times. Unless... oh. I just realized. The magma. They'd have to adapt to that. Welp, Rock/Water it is.

gliscor&yanmega

One could argue that in a certain circumstance where Diglett has to compete for underground space for digging, such as with Drilbur or with Onix, that it could evolve to use clouds as a method of travel to avoid having to compete with Drilbur for underground space. Settling near areas like Volcanos are too risky due to volcanic activity, the beach is dangerous due to Water-types, and the fields are likely overrun by Drilbur underground. Moving to a city could lead to it being forcibly moved for destroying infrastructure.
Just seems like a bit of a stretch for it, whereas it seems more realistic to move to another area of ground and adapt to it.

Thepowaofhax

I doubt we'll be seeing an Alolan form for Diglett, as I don't think they have anything to adapt to.

They live underground at all times. Unless... oh. I just realized. The magma. They'd have to adapt to that. Welp, Rock/Water it is.

Again, it also depends on what other Pokemon live in the region. If it has to compete for space underground and have problems with Magma, it could dig onto the top of a mountain and hop onto a cloud to use for travel. It wouldn't have to worry about any Gumshoos killing it the moment it pops out of the ground, it is away from scary Water-types or drowning, and free from being cremated on top of no longer competing for space if it is completely airborne, barring Minior, but Minior wouldn't really attack a Diglett due to what it eats. Rock/Water arguably doesn't make as much sense from adjusting to magma, it makes more sense around a Beach area, but it is likely it would become the prey of Water-types near the beach if it does move there.

Just seems like a bit of a stretch for it, whereas it seems more realistic to move to another area of ground and adapt to it.
While that is true, it no longer has to compete for space in the skies. Another thing is this "area of ground" depends on the island. For example, why would it move to a beach where Water-types that can also learn Dig (such as Krabby) could just dig to the Diglett and kill it for food?

Besides, you could argue that the current typing for Vulpix-A is a bit of a stretch, as Vulpix-A could already generate heat to keep its body temperature high up in the mountains and would have an easier time catching prey.

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

Again, it also depends on what other Pokemon live in the region. If it has to compete for space underground and have problems with Magma, it could dig onto the top of a mountain and hop onto a cloud to use for travel. It wouldn't have to worry about any Gumshoos killing it the moment it pops out of the ground, it is away from scary Water-types or drowning, and free from being cremated on top of no longer competing for space if it is completely airborne, barring Minior, but Minior wouldn't really attack a Diglett due to what it eats. Rock/Water arguably doesn't make as much sense from adjusting to magma, it makes more sense around a Beach area, but it is likely it would become the prey of Water-types near the beach if it does move there.

While that is true, it no longer has to compete for space in the skies. Another thing is this "area of ground" depends on the island. For example, why would it move to a beach where Water-types that can also learn Dig (such as Krabby) could just dig to the Diglett and kill it for food?

you know what's funny, no matter what typing an Alolan Diglett has, it's probably amost guaranteed that were never going to see the lower part of it's body.lol

gliscor&yanmega

Besides, you could argue that the current typing for Vulpix-A is a bit of a stretch, as Vulpix-A could already generate heat to keep its body temperature high up in the mountains and would have an easier time catching prey.
I don't see Diglett as much of a prey Pokemon, can't really see anything wanting to eat it besides Bird Pokemon since they could be mistaken for Worms. Of which, if it does fly it'll still have to worry about Birds. But it really isn't a big deal. The whole point of adapting is that it generally is forced and Animals have to deal with it. So while it could still have worries around other grounded places, it'll just have to adapt, either by being able to attack back or just run(It has high Speed anyways).

As for Vulpix, the thing with it could be that it's heat wasn't doing enough to keep it warm enough, or just that it wouldn't be a good idea to have a constant fire source around ice so it's a matter of adapting or ruining the area.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I'm surprised no one here suggested a Water/Psychic Psyduck/Golduck (unless it was mentioned and I missed it).

Not sure what its type changing lore would be, though. Perhaps it learned mediation from Alolans many, MANY years back and did it a lot to the point it made them Psychic-types?

Thepowaofhax

I don't see Diglett as much of a prey Pokemon, can't really see anything wanting to eat it besides Bird Pokemon since they could be mistaken for Worms. Of which, if it does fly it'll still have to worry about Birds. But it really isn't a big deal. The whole point of adapting is that it generally is forced and Animals have to deal with it. So while it could still have worries around other grounded places, it'll just have to adapt, either by being able to attack back or just run(It has high Speed anyways).

As for Vulpix, the thing with it could be that it's heat wasn't doing enough to keep it warm enough, or just that it wouldn't be a good idea to have a constant fire source around ice so it's a matter of adapting or ruining the area.

Actually, moles have a lot of predators including snakes, weasels, and domestic cats and dogs. We already have a few Snake Pokemon that can learn dig, and although they are disadvantaged regarding typing except Serperior, Diglett is incredibly frail and cannot take a hit. Dogs, such as Stoutland and potentially Iwanko could also prey on it, and it would make sense for them to dig for it as most moles dig near the surface. Gumshoos is also a Mongoose (related to a Weasel), which is related to a Weasel, and it literally just sit there and attack when Diglett pops out of the ground or follow a trail it leaves while it is burrowing. Moles are also hunted by hawks and owls, but it would be hard for a hawk or owl to target something in the air vice something on the ground as it can move much more erratically. Besides, Diglett can already learn Aerial Ace.

While yes, it could just run, let us not forget that there are plenty of possible Pokemon that can prey on it that are faster than Diglett, such as Persian or Liepard. Fighting back would be hard to do if it has to deal with bulkier opponents, as it is a heavily frail Pokemon.

Considering we have a Pokemon that has a flame that never gives out in its body and can cause droughts, I highly doubt it would need to, at the very least, set a fire to keep warm or cause the whole mountain to be charred black with no snow if it has an internal flame. Fire is around 700 degrees Fahrenheit, which should be MUCH hotter than the air around it.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm surprised no one here suggested a Water/Psychic Psyduck/Golduck (unless it was mentioned and I missed it).

They already masquerade the Psychic type, so having it would be redundant. It would be like making Florges a Grass type.

I see Psyduck gaining a Fairy or Dark typing, either one being from a means to control its power and remove its headaches.

XXD17

Draco rex
Heh, first thing I thought of when Alolan forms were announced was Talonbolt, when?

A water-type Arcanine intrigues me, for obvious reasons. If it looked anything like this pokefusion of Arcanine and Nidoqueen, I'd take it.

That's the one I'm most excited for. Arcanine is based on a shisha, which is a kind of guardian beast (essentially a big lion-dog). There's another kind of guardian beast called a kirin, which is associated with the water. I'm kind of hoping arcanine goes water/ dragon and takes on kirin traits like scales and antlers. The fur on its body should also curl and become like tsunami waves. what I don't want is for them to tack on a fish tail like with vaporeon.

We already saw regular eevee.
But maybe one of its eeveelution will have a form.

Just watch all the eeveelutions be different types lol. Fighting (or ghost) type espeon, Ghost (or poison) type umbreon, Ground (or rock) type jolteon, Rock (or ground) type flareon, Steel type glaceon, Flying (or bug) type leafeon, Bug (or flying) type sylveon, Dragon (or poison) type vaporeon...

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
They already masquerade the Psychic type, so having it would be redundant. It would be like making Florges a Grass type.

I see Psyduck gaining a Fairy or Dark typing, either one being from a means to control its power and remove its headaches.
Wouldn't hurt to give them Psychic for STAB, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.