• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Personally when I first saw the Alolan Kanto pokemon variants, I was a bit bummed out cuz I wish that the new Exeggutor had been a new evolved form instead of a variant of the original. I like the ice type Vulpix and Ninetales at least. ^^

R_N

I already gave my idea for a purified Muk a few posts back if you want to check it out, and I stand by my idea of Alolan Weezing being the triplet variant, with the extra head allowing it to tap into latent Psychic power.

Poi Muk/Grimer is really creative, I like it.

SteveVacante

https://twitter.com/stevevacante/status/762089756041805825

I decided to make very quick and sloppy edits of what I hope will be Alolan Ponyta and Rapidash. I'm not sure how they would acquire a Ghost typing to survive in the Alola region, but it would be quite a story they could have. For example, they could be living in a habitat that was infiltrated with Ghost-type Pokemon and they gained the second typing to combat the Gengars, Mismagius, etc. Just something I came up with really quick, but I would love to see them both gain a Ghost-typing :)

Last edited:

Sabre_King

I hope the next batch of news contains variants of pokemon that are not generation 1. The sixth generation was great with establishing mega evolutions; however, I felt mega evolution was more prone for early generation pokemon, whereas the fifth and sixth generation pokemon really lacked in mega evolutions. I hope these Alolan forms learn from the lack of equality among regions in regard to choosing pokemon for these new variants because so far we have only seen Alolan Kanto pokemon, I hope other regions receive variants as well.

Psychic69

Pure Flying Alolan Pegasus Rapidash. I'm assuming there will be a primary Flying-type in the Field egg group so that the breeding gimmick cat can be Normal/Flying.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Poi Muk/Grimer is really creative, I like it.

Thank you! I've been having a blast with this.

So, awhile back someone mentioned an idea for Drowzee and Hypno that I'd like to expand upon:

Drowzee: In Alola Drowzee thrived, feasting on the dreams on the region's inhabitants with ease. However, the Alolan natives soon created an object that guarded them from this Pokemon's influence. Due to this, Drowzee was forced to take a different approach, and enter dreams directly by harnessing naturally occurring dark energies. It is said that if you ever get the feeling you're being watched, that's a Drowzee, preparing for the hunt.

Hypno: After years of struggling in its pursuit of dreams, Hypno learned to use the very tool Alolans had relied on for protection against them. With its malicious powers and an expertly crafted dreamcatcher, the Alolan Hypno can draw out dreams and insert them into its own mind, where they are crushed and consumed without mercy. This Pokemon is considered to be one of the most dangerous creatures in all of Alola.

Type: Dark/Fairy

Ability: Infiltrator/Prankster

Hidden Ability: Steadfast

HP: 85
ATK: 86
DEF: 65
SPA: 60
SPD: 120
SPE: 67

Here's a sketch. I intended to draw it based on alternate depictions of the baku (the spirit the Drowzee line is based on) as well as hobgoblins and a little Native American folklore, but it came out a little overdesigned on Hypno's part. Oops :p: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ubJh8cUutBOWFRUjZpTW1DTVU/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Julia Artemis

Thank you! I've been having a blast with this.

So, awhile back someone mentioned an idea for Drowzee and Hypno that I'd like to expand upon:

Drowzee: In Alola Drowzee thrived, feasting on the dreams on the region's inhabitants with ease. However, the Alolan natives soon created an object that guarded them from this Pokemon's influence. Due to this, Drowzee was forced to take a different approach, and enter dreams directly by harnessing naturally occurring dark energies. It is said that if you ever get the feeling you're being watched, that's a Drowzee, preparing for the hunt.

Hypno: After years of struggling in its pursuit of dreams, Hypno learned to use the very tool Alolans had relied on for protection against them. With its malicious powers and an expertly crafted dreamcatcher, the Alolan Hypno can draw out dreams and insert them into its own mind, where they are crushed and consumed without mercy. This Pokemon is considered to be one of the most dangerous creatures in all of Alola.

Type: Dark/Fairy

Ability: Infiltrator/Prankster

Hidden Ability: Steadfast

HP: 85
ATK: 86
DEF: 65
SPA: 60
SPD: 120
SPE: 67

Here's a sketch. I intended to draw it based on alternate depictions of the baku (the spirit the Drowzee line is based on) as well as hobgoblins and a little Native American folklore, but it came out a little overdesigned on Hypno's part. Oops :p: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ubJh8cUutBOWFRUjZpTW1DTVU/view?usp=sharing

I LOVE THIS!!! It makes me think of a monster from Pan's Labyrith and I'm so into that! So cool!!!

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I LOVE THIS!!! It makes me think of a monster from Pan's Labyrith and I'm so into that! So cool!!!

Thanks! And thank you to everyone for the kind words and constructive criticism you've all given. Now here's a crowd favorite I'll try my hand at:

Onix: Onix inhabits caves deep underneath the ground. Unfortunately, many of Alola's underground caverns are flooded, so Onix had to adapt to survive within them. Its new crystalline structure and porous rocky coating allow water to effortlessly wash over and run through it. That said, it cannot withstand the same heat and pressure as other Onix without cracking.

Type: Rock/Steel

Ability: Filter/Dry Skin

Hidden Ability: Wonder Skin

HP: 35
ATK: 30
DEF: 100
SPA: 75
SPD: 75
SPE: 70

Sketch: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ubJh8cUutBN3JDU2dCS01JX0E/view?usp=sharing

Steelix: It finds its home in watery hollows deep beneath the surface, but it will move outside at night. The large crystal structures on its back absorb moonlight which it feeds on and can launch in powerful bursts if threatened. Even without a lunar charge, it can still unleash fierce displays of raw, draconic might, firing off mighty Dragon Breath and Twister techniques on all those who intrude on its home.

Type: Dragon/Steel

Ability: Filter/Storm Drain

Hidden Ability: Magic Bounce

HP: 75
ATK: 55
DEF: 140
SPA: 115
SPD: 95
SPE: 30

Sketch: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ubJh8cUutBMVVFTk5RU29LeVk/view?usp=sharing

gabric

has anyone seen the alola vaporeon and jynx images? a friend told me about them and i found them with google and they look real but i cant find them on any news site

Thepowaofhax

has anyone seen the alola vaporeon and jynx images? a friend told me about them and i found them with google and they look real but i cant find them on any news site
Yes, but the original pictures has a watermark of the artist's name. The pictures are fake.

Macabrelicious

I would love to see a Fire/Ghost typing for the Chimchar line in Alola. Monkey's are immensely located in tropical settings, and it would be lovely to see the best starter (in my opinion) given a new lease of life in S&M.

How does Fire/Ghost Chimchar make sense

It's not like the Chimchar line's lease has expired anyway

To all those guys suggesting Stantler...

I am praying he doesn't get an Alola form, because I want him to get a Mega :p
Besides, I think Ice typing doesnt really "change" him. It's more of an improvement rather than a different version. In a similar manner to want a Golduck to become water/psychic. You don't want it because it's a cool variety, you want it because the old Golduck needs the improvement. Right?

I'm not really understanding where you're coming from in many ways but I have to ask, how is Stantler getting an Ice type (out of complete nowhere) an "improvement" and not a(n actually logically plausible) regional varient lmao

Maybe it could be Psychic or Dark

Electric/Dark Eelektross I could see but where is Psychic coming from?

I agree. It's why I'd prefer if stuff like Bug/Psychic Butterfree and Fire/Flying Rapidash and the like were megas instead of Alolan forms. They seem like natural evolutions of the Pokemon that would improve on them, not an alternate form on equal footing. I don't want the Alolan versions to totally overshadow the regular version.

Please no I thought we were done with the cringey megas in gen 6

I hope the next batch of news contains variants of pokemon that are not generation 1. The sixth generation was great with establishing mega evolutions; however, I felt mega evolution was more prone for early generation pokemon, whereas the fifth and sixth generation pokemon really lacked in mega evolutions. I hope these Alolan forms learn from the lack of equality among regions in regard to choosing pokemon for these new variants because so far we have only seen Alolan Kanto pokemon, I hope other regions receive variants as well.

We already know Gamefreak gives gen 1 pokemon preferential treatment because nostalgia sells so I've learned not to hope for any justice or equality

But I agree I'd like for these Alola forms to be given out logically to pokemon that would naturally adapt in exciting ways within Alola, without generational bias (and also fairly within the balance of the game)

and not have Charizard have four Alola forms (Ice/Electric, Ghost/Dragon, Fairy/Dark and Water/Steel) with the abilities Wonder Guard, Huge Power, Adaptability, and Prankster respectively

Last edited:

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I want an Alola dragonite that looks like something that would logically come from a Dragonair.

I keep hearing that, so how about this:

Dragonite: Most Dragonite seldom passed through Alola, as its occasional but sudden torrential storms made flying over the region quite treacherous. However, there are rare occurrences of Dragonite retaining Dragonair's ability to control the weather. These select few Dragonite settled in Alola, and are revered there as mighty guardians, as they will stop any storm that comes their way with one flap of their large, powerful wings. This has led to Alola experiencing lovely, sunny weather year around.

Type: Dragon/Water

Ability: Cloud Nine

Hidden Ability: Drizzle

HP: 91
ATK: 95
DEF: 90
SPA: 134
SPD: 90
SPE: 100

And here's a sketch I made a while back for Mega Dragonite, but it works here, too: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ubJh8cUutBVWR2R0VjUGp0VlE/view?usp=sharing

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Alola Hydreigon - Steel/Dragon with Filter. Due to constant training in Alola climate with armour, Hydreigon has fuse with the armour as one so it can deal with it's previous threat which was Fairy type.

Frisky

thank you! I've been having a blast with this.

So, awhile back someone mentioned an idea for drowzee and hypno that i'd like to expand upon:

drowzee: in alola drowzee thrived, feasting on the dreams on the region's inhabitants with ease. However, the alolan natives soon created an object that guarded them from this pokemon's influence. Due to this, drowzee was forced to take a different approach, and enter dreams directly by harnessing naturally occurring dark energies. It is said that if you ever get the feeling you're being watched, that's a drowzee, preparing for the hunt.

hypno: after years of struggling in its pursuit of dreams, hypno learned to use the very tool alolans had relied on for protection against them. With its malicious powers and an expertly crafted dreamcatcher, the alolan hypno can draw out dreams and insert them into its own mind, where they are crushed and consumed without mercy. This pokemon is considered to be one of the most dangerous creatures in all of alola.

Type: Dark/fairy

ability: Infiltrator/prankster

hidden ability: Steadfast

hp: 85
atk: 86
def: 65
spa: 60
spd: 120
spe: 67

here's a sketch. I intended to draw it based on alternate depictions of the baku (the spirit the drowzee line is based on) as well as hobgoblins and a little native american folklore, but it came out a little overdesigned on hypno's part. Oops :p: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0b9ubjh8cuutbowfrujzptw1dtvu/view?usp=sharing

So...
Much...
Yes!

If Gamefreak does not make a Dark/Fairy Drowzee line I will be severely disappointed. This is such a great opportunity to turn Hypno into a bad ***.

Last edited:

Macabrelicious

Alola Hydreigon - Steel/Dragon with Filter. Due to constant training in Alola climate with armour, Hydreigon has fuse with the armour as one so it can deal with it's previous threat which was Fairy type.

90% of the ideas in this thread are random nonsense types being slapped onto unrelated pokemon because it sounds "cool!!!!" and "unexpected!!!!" but this I actually would give weight to given that the Deino line were designed as military tank dragons originally

Filter is too much though; Light Metal or even Heatproof might be cute though

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
So...
Much...
Yes!

If Gamefreak does not make a Dark/Fairy Drowzee line I will be severely disappointed. This is such a great opportunity to turn Hypno into a bad ***.

I know, it would be so cool, right? I didn't come up with the typing, but when I started drawing and writing about Alolan Drowzee and Hypno, it all fell into place so nicely.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
90% of the ideas in this thread are random nonsense types being slapped onto unrelated pokemon because it sounds "cool!!!!" and "unexpected!!!!" but this I actually would give weight to given that the Deino line were designed as military tank dragons originally

Filter is too much though; Light Metal or even Heatproof might be cute though
What's wrong with cool and unexpected stuff? It's not like any of the actual known Alola forms were expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.