• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
After Exeggutor and Sandshrew's line, I thought the Alolan variants would end up being more than just palette swaps.

Alas, it was not meant to be.

I feel like the changes made to Marowak and Meowth are about at the same level as Sandshrew. Not Exeggcutor sure, but it's not like Sandshrew and Sandslash were changed that much either.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I feel like the changes made to Marowak and Meowth are about at the same level as Sandshrew. Not Exeggcutor sure, but it's not like Sandshrew and Sandslash were changed that much either.
Marowak sure (different color and a overall thinner body plus a mark on its forehead), but the only changes to Meowth appear to be color and slightly smaller eyes (and that's assuming the eyes don't look bigger when they are wide open). Sandshrew and Sandslash got a good deal more than that (the coating of ice armor for both, ice ears for Sandshrew and the curved claws for Sandslash).

Not saying its a bad thing, but Alolan Meowth is definately the most minimalistic when it comes to the changes in Alolan forms thus far.

Last edited:

.Aerodactyl.

Marowak sure (different color and a overall thinner body plus a mark on its forehead), but the only changes to Meowth appear to be color and slightly smaller eyes (and that's assuming the eyes don't look bigger when they are wide open). Sandshrew and Sandslash got a good deal more than that (the coating of ice armor for both, ice ears for Sandshrew and the curved claws for Sandslash).

Not saying its a bad thing, but Alolan Meowth is definately the most minimalistic when it comes to the changes in Alolan forms thus far.

To be fair, it's about the same as the changes to Vulpix who really was just white and slightly changed hair and tail. But the model looks the same. At least Meowth has a different pose.... I'd imagine Persian to be more different like Ninetails is.

dman_dustin

You know I just thought of something.

I would hate if Alola forms exist out of sheer laziness of not creating original Pokemon of those types.

I mean I'm not saying there has to be EXACTLY an ice/fairy ice/steel original Pokemon, but as long as they don't use Alolan forms as an excuse not to make original ice Pokemon, steel Pokemon.

Granted some of those fears seem to be alleviated. But I don't want there to only be one brand new evolutionary line of a certain and a whole bunch of Alola species.

YOOMTAH

Let's dance~
I'm actually happy with Alolan forms over new Pokémon. It may be convenient (or as you call it, lazy) to revisit old designs, but it improves the quality of Pokémon that deserve some treatment. I'd rather have 700 well-designed Pokémon than 800 Pokémon where some are lacking in whatever way, just for the sake of new Pokémon. To put it bluntly: if I had to choose between Bewear and Alolan Ninetales, I'd choose Alolan Ninetales. Heck, I even prefer Alolan Exeggutor over a lot of gen 5/6/7 Pokémon, even more so for the other Alolan Pokémon.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Kind of wished for non-Kanto Alola forms but oh well. Marowak was something that I kind of expected but Ghost typing was neat. Alola Meowth as a Dark type seems cool. Wonder if Alola Persian has two types? Exeggutor, Sandslash, Ninetales and Marowak have two types. Maybe Dark/Psychic?

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Dark/Psychic or Dark/Water are my hopes for Alolan Persian. Don't ask why for Water, my personal fan-service.

vaporeon89

power of vapor
I have a feeling that Persian can end up with a secondary type. Dark/Fairy or Dark/Rock (because of the jewel)

Gizmoa

I have a feeling that Persian can end up with a secondary type. Dark/Fairy or Dark/Rock (because of the jewel)

I had really hoped GF would not push the dead mother thing further with alolan marowak, even though once I saw fire type I knew, in my heart of hearts, that they were going to shove her into a volcano or something. Last chance, holding out hope for a became a ghost type so it could not be easily killed and then stay with babies.... but I'm not holding my breath.

Blue Siamese Dark Type Meowth, solid alolan form choice.

Anthea

I would hate if Alola forms exist out of sheer laziness of not creating original Pokemon of those types.

I mean I'm not saying there has to be EXACTLY an ice/fairy ice/steel original Pokemon, but as long as they don't use Alolan forms as an excuse not to make original ice Pokemon, steel Pokemon.

Granted some of those fears seem to be alleviated. But I don't want there to only be one brand new evolutionary line of a certain and a whole bunch of Alola species.
With your logic there should be no alolan meowth and no alolan exegg or marowak
I.e. Faulty worry some logic

Mm Siamese Persian. White points and blue skin. Blue Jewel!

Love the new dark meowth and the fact that it was a product of selective breeding. Agree with above sentiment. I rather a team of alolan variants at this point. Only a few new pokes are likeable imo

Last edited:

Gizmoa

Dark/Psychic or Dark/Water are my hopes for Alolan Persian. Don't ask why for Water, my personal fan-service.

Dark/water would be a nice nod towards the anime since Meowth sometimes shouts things like "Water Gun!" and then throws a bucket of water at people.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I had really hoped GF would not push the dead mother thing further with alolan marowak, even though once I saw fire type I knew, in my heart of hearts, that they were going to shove her into a volcano or something. Last chance, holding out hope for a became a ghost type so it could not be easily killed and then stay with babies.... but I'm not holding my breath.
I don't think they're really pushing that scenario, since it became the new type combination as it adapted to resist Alolan predators. It being Ghost is likely a wink to nostalgic fans but it doesn't have anything to do with what it is in the game.

Beck

Soul Suckin' Jerk

I think the Alola Formes are the exact opposite of lazy -- I think they're creative ingenious.

It's a way for Game Freak to continue to add new type combinations and Pokemon formes without actually increasing the bandwidth. Repurposing old, often forgotten, Pokemon is the right move through and through. And with this being he 20th anniversary, there's precedence.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I think the Alola Formes are the exact opposite of lazy -- I think they're creative ingenious.

It's a way for Game Freak to continue to add new type combinations and Pokemon formes without actually increasing the bandwidth. Repurposing old, often forgotten, Pokemon is the right move through and through. And with this being he 20th anniversary, there's precedence.

Exactly. I'm convinced that GF, or at least TPCI, is afraid to increase the Dex count too much at this point. They might very well be convinced that once they hit the 1000 mark, it will be too overwhelming for people. Whether that is accurate (either the feelings of GF/TPCI or the reaction from the potential audience), I can't be sure, but it really does feel like they're pumping the brakes a bit here.

Last edited:

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

I've seen people mention that, and I even checked it out myself in my copy of AS, but yeah, it's just a palm tree. It might be a hint at Sun & Moon, but who knows.

Well, now that the Meowth and Marowak flood is subsiding, it's time to get back to the thoerizing:

Arbok: Typically, Arbok frighten any would be adversaries with their fearsome belly markings, and this held true in Alola for several years. However, when Gumshoos was introduced to the region, it was undeterred by this normally intimidating display, and it and Yungoos tore through the Arbok population of Melemele Island. This led to Alolan Arbok adapting means to outwit its newfound predators, notably a tear away tail it can detach at will should an enemy bite down on it. This loss of limb is no big deal to Arbok, as it can regrow its tail overnight.

Type: Poison/Dark

Ability: Infiltrator/Regenerator

Hidden Ability: Rattled

HP: 60
ATK: 85
DEF: 59
SPA: 40
SPD: 79
SPE: 115

And now the sketch :) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ubJh8cUutBT0VmU3NPNDRQWU0/view?usp=sharing

Aside from the dex argument or designing argument I think that this is a fantastic idea for costumer binding. It may sound unpersonal but a lot of people have played pkmn as a kid but moved on when they grew older but they still know their generation of pokemon. I'm from the 1st gen and stopped playing after Diamond and Pearl but I'm going to buy Sun/Moon again. These forms are great fanservice and they do feel like new pokemon so it's a win/win situation.

That being said, I would've liked it if they kept the original typings a bit more. Giving a Fairy type to Icetales but not to Ninetales is weird, Snowslash could've remained his Ground typing instead of Steel and Fire/Ground Marowak would've been enough too. So therefor I'm hoping for a pure dark Persian-A and do a lot more in the style of Exeggutor-A because that's the best one yet.

Nevertheless Marowak-A is ok because of it's lore and the design is astonishing (and yes that was a ghost move pun).

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I've seen people mention that, and I even checked it out myself in my copy of AS, but yeah, it's just a palm tree. It might be a hint at Sun & Moon, but who knows.

Well, now that the Meowth and Marowak flood is subsiding, it's time to get back to the thoerizing:

Arbok: Typically, Arbok frighten any would be adversaries with their fearsome belly markings, and this held true in Alola for several years. However, when Gumshoos was introduced to the region, it was undeterred by this normally intimidating display, and it and Yungoos tore through the Arbok population of Melemele Island. This led to Alolan Arbok adapting means to outwit its newfound predators, notably a tear away tail it can detach at will should an enemy bite down on it. This loss of limb is no big deal to Arbok, as it can regrow its tail overnight.

Type: Poison/Dark

Ability: Infiltrator/Regenerator

Hidden Ability: Rattled

HP: 60
ATK: 85
DEF: 59
SPA: 40
SPD: 79
SPE: 115

And now the sketch :) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ubJh8cUutBT0VmU3NPNDRQWU0/view?usp=sharing
Great as always. I really like the detachable tail bit as well.

Achernar

star-mapping pro
Seems like Pokemon Blue exclusives have Alolan Forms: Meowth, Ninetales, Sandslash. I hope Victreebel and Magmar would have one too.

Status
Not open for further replies.