• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
Glad Marowak keeps Lightning Rod, I LOVE that ability. Thats an immunity to 3 types also!

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Looks like we be getting just Kanto variants. So far, it has been just gen 1 pokemon with Alola forms. It would have been nice to get other gens with Alola forms though.

Not confirmed yet, but it's looking very likely that will be the case, which IMO is such a big mistake. Many other older Pokemon could've received these changes to make them more usable like Tropius, Heatmor, and Girafarig.

PokeAJ

Not a fan of Alolan Raichu, and I've wanted a mega for him ever since megas were revealed so this really bums me out since if they are coming back I highly doubt we'll get one now.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
And again it would lose the ability to abuse the 270 BP volt tackle presumed thar his ability is activated by electric terrain.

Also 120 BP electric physical stab is no laughing matter, it actually hits A LOT of stuff harder than thunderbolt with immediate power nailing the 2hko or ohko after rocks that tbolt would fail or end up being forced out after NP.

Immediate power and targets make volt tackle and a mixed or purely physical spree superior when compared to a special one.

Well, if it does go Physical, than it won't have much to work with at first. Fake Out, Volt Tackle, Brick Break, and Reversal are pretty much all we would be guaranteed to see, since we don't know what Psychic moves (if any, it is a Stone evo with only 4 level-up moves, currently) it will learn. Since Pikachu sent up via Bank may or may not Evolve into Alolan Raichu, we can't know for sure that it will have immediate access to Move Tutor moves, and it may not be able Extreme Speed at all.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Volt Tackle is really it's only worthy physical move, and I'd much rather have a 90bp or 110bp special electric move and a 90bp special psychic move over a 120bp physical electric move and possibly a 80bp physical psychic move. Assuming it will get Psychic and maybe Zen Headbutt.

It has way more potential as a special attacker tbh.

Nasty plot means you also relinquish extreme speed and surf as options.

This is actually a big thing for Raichu.

Also run the calcs for 2hko of standard targets with 180 BP volt tackle coming from 104 evs atk and you will notice a big difference in the damage potential and stuff that LO Raichu actually 2hkos.

Last edited:
So, Alolan forms have so far given us unique standard Pokémon typings (just including that to make Alolan Exeggutor feel a bit taller - if that's possible - when Mega Sceptile walks in) of Grass/Dragon (Exeggutor), Ice/Fairy (Ninetales), Ice/Steel (Sandshrew and Sandslash), Fire/Ghost (Marowak), and Electric/Psychic (Raichu).

Kind of expect Persian to either continue the unique trend and be Dark/Fairy, if not stay pure Dark type.

Enjolras

Master of the House
To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of Raichu's Alolan design, although maybe it'll grow on me. I appreciate it though, even if it's mostly for the fact that it isn't just a goddamn recolor like Meowth.

SkyBlue

I ate ColtonL
alolan persian, as long as it keeps that dark typing will have stab+technician pursuit :3

PokeAJ

Also Alolan Meowth legit just looks like an alternate Meowth shiny. That's exactly what I didn't want to see happen with these Alolan forms, just color palette swaps. That's a shiny not a new form.

Not confirmed yet, but it's looking very likely that will be the case, which IMO is such a big mistake. Many other older Pokemon could've received these changes to make them more usable like Tropius, Heatmor, and Girafarig.

Likewise, these forms should only be obtainable in Sun/Moon and any other Alolan based games, considering that the Pokémon require this as a setting for these forms. Though I too would have loved to see Tropius and Girafarig get one, I think they're more likely to get Mega Evolutions or "standard" alternate forms.

XXD17

Draco rex
Volt Tackle is really it's only worthy physical move, and I'd much rather have a 90bp or 110bp special electric move and a 90bp special psychic move over a 120bp physical electric move and possibly a 80bp physical psychic move. Assuming it will get Psychic and maybe Zen Headbutt.

It has way more potential as a special attacker tbh.

Don't forget that it can also get knock off, but I agree...I'd rather use pikachu as a physical-oriented mixed attacker...all of my raichu's have been pure special unless the Alolan one gets more physical attack...

TheEliteEmpoleon

Heatmor is Gen V bruh.
But yeah I think the one thing they could do to improve on the Alolan Variants idea is have some from each region.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
Meowth looks much better in-game. Shame its abilities are the same. Having technician and dark typing makes it a less effective Fake Outer than normal Meowth. But boosted STAB Thief, Feint Attack and Bite, all base 60. Wonder which one will be of most use?
- Feint Attack can never miss, evasion is not a real issue online
- thief steals the opponents items, good if its a focus sash or berry, bad if its a Choice item.
- Bite can make you flinch.

I'd go with Theif if it ever learns Fling, if not then Bite (assuming they don't give it crunch)

XXD17

Draco rex
Meowth looks much better in-game. Shame its abilities are the same. Having technician and dark typing makes it a less effective Fake Outer than normal Meowth. But boosted STAB Thief, Feint Attack and Bite, all base 60. Wonder which one will be of most use?
- thief steals the opponents items, good if its a focus sash or berry, bad if its a Choice item.

I'd go with Theif if it ever learns Fling, if not then Bite (assuming they don't give it crunch)

Don't forget pursuit! :)

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

I'd use Bite. A Base 90 STAB Dark move with a chance to flinch it just too good to pass up.

And don't forget the possibility of it getting Snarl now due to the Type change.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
Don't forget pursuit! :)

only if they don't run do you get the technician boost

Are there any variations in the design that the coro coro pic isn't showing? Because to me it looks exactly the same as regular Meowth aside from a minor eye shape difference.

No, I just think it looks better in 3D, Same with wishiwashi school form, I like it much more now that i've seen it in-game.

Gizmoa

Are there any variations in the design that the coro coro pic isn't showing? Because to me it looks exactly the same as regular Meowth aside from a minor eye shape difference.

It's blue rather than creme and it's charm is larger.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
Also Alolan Meowth legit just looks like an alternate Meowth shiny. That's exactly what I didn't want to see happen with these Alolan forms, just color palette swaps. That's a shiny not a new form.

Come on, it has different eyes and whiskers too, not to mention different expressions and mannerisms. Alolan Vulpix changes less, but nobody is complaining about that cause it looks so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.