• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodpeople25

It may not be literal surfing, but I don't think that means it refers to surfing the web. I feel like if it were meant to reference that, we'd see something else in its design that hints at it.
It's almost as if there can be more than one design infulence in a Pokemon and that they can be subtle. But Seriously I never said there was a super solid connection beyond the couple of obvious less than solid ones. Plus the web surfing thing was hardly the main point it was more a connection (partly to set up to a pun, which you should be getting ready to hear, I doubt I'll be the last to make the web surfing joke or even the first in regard to this form since game freak might have done it in it's very concept) and i already said I'm conflicted,
But it still only has electric and air surfing so far. (And is there really that much in it's design that hints to actual surfing?)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It's almost as if there can be more than one design infulence in a Pokemon and that they can be subtle. But Seriously I never said there was a super solid connection beyond the couple of obvious less than solid ones. Plus the web surfing thing was hardly the main point it was more a connection (partly to set up to a pun, which you should be getting ready to hear, I doubt I'll be the last to make the web surfing joke or even the first in regard to this form since game freak might have done it in it's very concept) and i already said I'm conflicted,
But it still only has electric and air surfing so far. (And is there really that much in it's design that hints to actual surfing?)

I guess all I'm trying to say is that I can't see the connection between surfing on electricity and surfing the web. I can see how one might make the joke, but I don't think it's a solid enough connection to actually think that Alola Raichu might be based off the concept.

And aside from the general surfing motif, you're right, there is nothing inferring literal surfing yet. That's why I'm curious to see if it does have the ability to surf on water and/or if it can learn Surf.

Anthea

Reason why Alola Raichu is what he is. It's a reference to Pucca from the anime. Pucca was a blue-eyed Pikachu that loved to surf, but has this ability where he can actually know when great waves were coming. Like he sees the future of waves, aka psychic abilities. Raichu also has blue eyes and as you can tell is based on a surfer. And the Psychic typing is a reference to Pucca's wave sensing abilities.

OMG I remember this episode! It's spooky how similar they are
Damn psychic abilities in combination with surfing habits. Crazy spooky. It's like deja vu. How the hell did they even go back to pucca in the drawing board? Gf are some nostalgic devs

goodpeople25

I guess all I'm trying to say is that I can't see the connection between surfing on electricity and surfing the web. I can see how one might make the joke, but I don't think it's a solid enough connection to actually think that Alola Raichu might be based off the concept.

And aside from the general surfing motif, you're right, there is nothing inferring literal surfing yet. That's why I'm curious to see if it does have the ability to surf on water and/or if it can learn Surf.
Oh yeah I get what your saying, as I said I'm conflicted myself. Anyway I'm curious too. Can't wait to click with my mouse ;) to find new information.

Seriously this day and age has corrupted me (can't remember last time i used a mouse) since I didn't get that connection right away, well that explains the vibe I got more now. Still just a pun, but then in-jokes.

Mudster

Master of the Legend
I still don't think Alola Raichu can learn surf. If regular one doesn't then neither should the Alola version.
Look at Wormadam as an example of a permanent form that learn different movesets.

Maybe in Alola, normal Raichu could learn surf on transfer? If it wasn't for whichever of the Pokémon transfer systems (DPPt to BW), my Battle Revolution Raichu would still know Surf! I doubt this would be the case, but maybe a special move tutor via an event?

Relax

Can anybody explain how we are going to get an Alolan raichu?? We have seen normal pikacahu and pichu ingame. So were does that Alolan Raichu form comes from? Any ideas?

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Can anybody explain how we are going to get an Alolan raichu?? We have seen normal pikacahu and pichu ingame. So were does that Alolan Raichu form comes from? Any ideas?

It evolves from Pikachu. Pokemon with Alola Forms can evolve from Pokemon without Alola Forms (see Exeggutor).

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So now that I have seen the footage of Alola Raichu, I have realized that it is awkwardly smooth and rounded. I like the design otherwise, but it's almost creepy how rounded and smooth its body is.

Footage was just released that shows normal Pikachu evolving into Alola Raichu.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
So now that I have seen the footage of Alola Raichu, I have realized that it is awkwardly smooth and rounded. I like the design otherwise, but it's almost creepy how rounded and smooth its body is.

Footage was just released that shows normal Pikachu evolving into Alola Raichu.

Yep, and Alolan Marowak evolves from a standard Cubone, making it the first Dual-Type Pokemon to evolve from a Pokemon that shares neither of its Types. It also means that Alolan Marowak is confirmed to learn the Bone moves, so that should be fun :)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Yep, and Alolan Marowak evolves from a standard Cubone, making it the first Dual-Type Pokemon to evolve from a Pokemon that shares neither of its Types.

Huh, I didn't even think about that. That's very interesting.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Huh, I didn't even think about that. That's very interesting.

Yeah, a neat little first, huh. Further updates.

Alolan Meowth learns Pay Day (a surprising revelation, I'm sure)
Alolan Marowak learns Will-O-Wisp (keeping the unbelievable streak alive)
Alolan Raichu learns Psychic (gasp!)

Yeah, no surprising move updates here.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
That is pretty weird tho, from non Alola form what can be caught in Alola to Alola form. Seems unlogcial to me.

It's possible that whatever causes Raichu to change form can only apply to Raichu, so Pichu and Pikachu remain the same, but once they evolve the adaptation takes hold.

TheEliteEmpoleon

That is pretty weird tho, from non Alola form what can be caught in Alola to Alola form. Seems unlogcial to me.

Well don't forget that we've already seen a classic Exeggcute evolve into an Alolan Exeggcutor.

Sprat1993

Marowak looks so beeping good!

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

The word unlogical is illogical to me, but that's not the point. This is a concept that was introduced when Alola Forms were, and it doesn't seem odd to me.

Relax

Well don't forget that we've already seen a classic Exeggcute evolve into an Alolan Exeggcutor.

Yes but still, would it not make sense to have an Alolan exeggcute evole to an Alolan exeggcuter? Because they both live on Alola. Just like pikachu and pichu? They already live on Alola so why don't they have Alola forms but their final evolve stage has.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Yes but still, would it not make sense to have an Alolan exeggcute evole to an Alolan exeggcuter? Because they both live on Alola. Just like pikachu and pichu? They already live on Alola so why don't they have Alola forms but their final evolve stage has.

To use Exeggcute as an example, Exeggcutor gains its new form due to the lush climate and sunlight of the Alola Region. This change only applies to Exeggcutor because it's a tree. Exeggcute are seeds/fruit, so the climate and sun would have no affect on them, keeping them the same. Raichu probably has a similar reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.