• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEliteEmpoleon

Yes but still, would it not make sense to have an Alolan exeggcute evole to an Alolan exeggcuter? Because they both live on Alola. Just like pikachu and pichu? They already live on Alola so why don't they have Alola forms but their final evolve stage has.

Well in Exeggcute's case, it was really much less of a plant than Exeggcutor, and Exeggcutor's variant was caused by its constant exposure to sunlight. What would that exposure do to Exeggcute? Probably not much.
As for Marowak, it is said that its variant was the result of the need to better protect its young- Cubone. With this being successful, Cubone had no need to adapt to better defend itself; its parents already had.

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild
Still funny a Pokemon completely changes typing upon evolving, and I'm trying to think of a pre-existing one that does. Adding or changing one type is nbd, but going from Ground > Ghost/Fire is pretty neat.

Watch I'll post this then think of a full-on type-changer.

KKS-Lapras

Still funny a Pokemon completely changes typing upon evolving, and I'm trying to think of a pre-existing one that does. Adding or changing one type is nbd, but going from Ground > Ghost/Fire is pretty neat.

Watch I'll post this then think of a full-on type-changer.

Surskit to Masquerain is the single most notorious case of this in the past... Water to Flying...

I'm still really curious. Kanto Pokemon being transported and native to Alola makes sense since Japan (Kanto/Johto) isn't too far away. That said, why is Johto being ignored, why is Gen 2 being shafted thus far yet again.

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild
Surskit to Masquerain is the single most notorious case of this in the past... Water to Flying...

I'm still really curious. Kanto Pokemon being transported and native to Alola makes sense since Japan (Kanto/Johto) isn't too far away. That said, why is Johto being ignored, why is Gen 2 being shafted thus far yet again.

Surskit only changed secondary typings tho. I meant full elemental shifts, like mono Ground to Ghost/Fire.

And genwun pandering.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
So they're not ignoring Raichu. Also, can there please be non-Kanto Alolan forms?

KKS-Lapras

Surskit only changed secondary typings tho. I meant full elemental shifts, like mono Ground to Ghost/Fire.

And genwun pandering.

It still was a change in type. Also, Marowak has the story behind it to back up the type change, a story 7 generations old now.

Normally, I would agree, just gen one pandering, but, this feels different. Gen 2 was shafted on Mega evolutions, and now on regional variations, it doesn't make sense. Kanto and Johto are geographically connected, and it stands to reason just as many Johto travelers would have come to Alola as Kanto travelers. I wonder if Johto is being held off for something else.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

I already mentioned this during my recap, but yes, it is the first! No other mono-typed Mon has evolved into a dual-typed Mon that didn't share at least one Type with it.

So they're not ignoring Raichu. Also, can there please be non-Kanto Alolan forms?

I'm starting to think not, but I have a theory. Maybe Alola will have a Gen 1 focus, but other regions will focus on other Generations. For example, what if we got a D/P remake, and (through the magic of Delta Episode multi-dimensional retconning) it featured Gen 2 only Sinnoh Forms! I think that would be pur-itty cool.

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild
It still was a change in type. Also, Marowak has the story behind it to back up the type change, a story 7 generations old now.

Normally, I would agree, just gen one pandering, but, this feels different. Gen 2 was shafted on Mega evolutions, and now on regional variations, it doesn't make sense. Kanto and Johto are geographically connected, and it stands to reason just as many Johto travelers would have come to Alola as Kanto travelers. I wonder if Johto is being held off for something else.

I know it has lore, I am aware. I was literally just trying to think if a full elemental change was unique or not. I can't think of anything, so I'm guessing yes.

EDIT: Yay! Thanks JV! :D

Sinnoh amd Johto are connected by the Sinjoh Ruins iirc, so they'll probably get less of the shaft in DPPt remakes if/when they come.

slowkingsley

As the currently revealed Alolan forms so far have been exclusive to Kanto pokemon, it is most likely a majority of Alolan forms will be gen 1 pokemon, with the real possibility of being exclusive to gen 1. However there is already a large number of Kanto pokemon that have already appeared or are related to pokemon that have appeared in pre-release material so far.

Caterpie
Metapod
Butterfree
Spearow
Fearow
Pichu
Pikachu
Raichu
Sandshrew
Sandslash
Vulpix
Ninetales
Zubat
Golbat
Meowth
Persian
Psyduck
Golduck
Mankey
Primeape
Growlithe
Arcanine
Poliwag
Poliwhirl
Poliwrath
Machop
Machoke
Machamp
Slowpoke
Slowbro
Magnemite
Magneton
Gastly
Haunter
Gengar
Drowzee
Hypno
Exeggcute
Exeggutor
Cubone
Marowak
Kangaskhan
Electabuzz
Pinsir
Tauros
Magikarp
Gyarados
Lapras
Eevee
Vaporeon
Jolteon
Flareon
Aerodactyl
Snorlax
Dratini
Dragonair
Dragonite

Bold pokemon have been shown in battle/evolution scenes with no change. Underlined pokemon have Alolan Forms.
There is already a large portion of the Kanto dex that has been shown. Whilst it doesn't definitively confirm that the pokemon that have appeared in battle scenes won't have Alolan Forms, it does make it less likely.

Last edited:

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'

Just wait till the games are here before deciding only Kanto gets alolan forms, maybe we get some from another region next month!

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Lets avoid using 'Genwunner', that word and similar types of words usually leads to some nasty debates.

Anyway, I do have to wonder why Johto isn't given as much attention in terms of power boosts. Granted, it is an offshoot of the first generation in some respects, but a good number of its Pokémon tend to be middling in terms of competitive performance. They'd definitely appreciate the boosts provided by Alola forms just as much as their Gen 1 counterparts. With that said, this is assuming they don't get it as nothing so far necessarily says they absolutely won't get a couple forms.

Blaze990

Alolan Raichu reminds me a bit of Audino tbh... Marowak and Meowth look awesome... A drastic but acceptable change to Marowak! As for Meowth the more I look at it the more I love it! Probably going to add it to my team :D

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I know it has lore, I am aware. I was literally just trying to think if a full elemental change was unique or not. I can't think of anything, so I'm guessing yes.

EDIT: Yay! Thanks JV! :D

Sinnoh amd Johto are connected by the Sinjoh Ruins iirc, so they'll probably get less of the shaft in DPPt remakes if/when they come.

Definitely, especially given the huge number of Johto Mons that are A) in the Sinnoh Dex (especially the Platinum Expansion) and B) have Gen 4 evos/pre-evos. I already made and posted my design for a regional Aipom/Ambipom, and I want to see it happen!

SlimeStack

I still think the gen 1 focus is somehow related to the gen 1 VC. Like you're meant to collect regular forms in RBY (with possible transfer bonuses or just exclusive moves) and Alolan in Sun/Moon or something, I dunno. Then the release of GSC would signal the release of gen 2 variants.

Or it could just be a 20th anniversary thing. Even with Kanto pandering they've never been completely exclusive like this before.

yefluke

Dizzy Trainer
Poor Johto pokemons, some pokemons are kind of forgettable. e.g. ariados , noctowl.

I hope they get some boost like kanto mons.

Yunova

Fairy User
Poor Johto pokemons, some pokemons are kind of forgettable. e.g. ariados , noctowl.

I hope they get some boost like kanto mons.

And my poor Girafarig has never really received anything since it's release. I think Girafarig would be an amazing contender for an interesting Alolan form.

Orphalesion

And my poor Girafarig has never really received anything since it's release. I think Girafarig would be an amazing contender for an interesting Alolan form.

Yes! Returning it to its beta-Appearance, with two giraffe heads, making it a real palindrome, just like its name! I'm all for that!

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Yes! Returning it to its beta-Appearance, with two giraffe heads, making it a real palindrome, just like its name! I'm all for that!

Perhaps it could be Dark/Fairy with access to Contrary, because its two heads (despite both being intelligent) are constantly at odds with one another, with one being malicious and cruel, and the other being kind and compassionate.

Status
Not open for further replies.