• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orphalesion

Perhaps it could be Dark/Fairy with access to Contrary, because its two heads (despite both being intelligent) are constantly at odds with one another, with one being malicious and cruel, and the other being kind and compassionate.

I absolutely love that concept! I hope we'll see something like that!

gliscor&yanmega

Alolan Raichu is now a thing, does make having other Gens with Alolan forms a bit less unlikely in my eyes now, which would be a shame but meh, future games will give stuff to other gens.

Didn't see much from Alolan Meowth, so hard to say what will happen with it. Pay Day isn't much of a strong move as is, so no real indication if it'll have strong Attack or Special Attack.

Alolan Marowak also didn't show much since it used Will-o-Wisp, but it's suppose to have Lighting Rod still, so I hope it will be a Special Attack to make more use of it.

Alolan Raichu gains Psychic type, which I think could support my theory for certain types being given to some Pokemon. It's Ability doubles its Speed in Electric Terrain apparently? Probably has high Speed as is so this could be nice. It has 81 HP at level 30, not sure if that's around the normal for regular Raichu, probably doesn't tell much though. I like the surfing theme for it, it looks nice overall to me.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I love these new Alolan forms omg. Alolan Marowak is beautiful and his movements are just amazing. Alolan Raichu I thought was dumb at first, but it's actually really interesting how they made it psychic so now it can basically surf on it's tail, like what!? That's perfect! I had to watch his animation to jump on board with him :p I love Alolan Meowth five times more with his animations... gosh this is going to be the hardest playthrough I've ever done since I'm going to want to train them all!!!

I like how they're not having a standard Alolan version equation or whatever. like with some lines some pokemon are alolan and then with some theyre all alolan and it makes sense for them too. I am just loving all these pokemon.

Now Raichu is going to be used differently than Pikachu which is perfect and just like Raichu needed imo. Not sure what it's lore will be besides it being common for people to take their pikachu's surfing so it evolves into a surfing pokemon lmfao. But Marowak makes sense to protect it's young so Cubone wouldn't have to become a variant. Meowth is interesting because I guess it's whole line just turned dark due to the breeding by the royal family. I'm super interesting about Wishywashy's ability and then pyukmuku is SO cute,love the fist, although it seems like it'll be weak imo.

SueChef

Old dog, new tricks!
Just gonna throw this out there as a possibility, but does anyone think there could be a chance an Alolan form loses it's evolution? For example, taking Alolan Meowth - it's been bred to I suppose near perfection, hence it's new typing and it's sass. Could it be that in it's new form it no longer needs an evolution?

Just for clarification, I do expect to see Alolan Persian, but considering it's the only Alolan form we've been shown that hasn't also revealed it's evolved form yet, the idea just popped into my head.

What would you guys think if something like this really happened?

ECM

Just gonna throw this out there as a possibility, but does anyone think there could be a chance an Alolan form loses it's evolution? For example, taking Alolan Meowth - it's been bred to I suppose near perfection, hence it's new typing and it's sass. Could it be that in it's new form it no longer needs an evolution?

Just for clarification, I do expect to see Alolan Persian, but considering it's the only Alolan form we've been shown that hasn't also revealed it's evolved form yet, the idea just popped into my head.

What would you guys think if something like this really happened?

I personally don't think that is gonna happen, although you got me thinking and I think it would be interesting if some of them evolved into a different species of Pokémon, but I highly doubt that would happen too. But in the event that they did lose the evolution, I would be a little disappointed, not gonna lie.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
So...

"Even Pokémon researchers don’t know why Raichu’s form changed in the Alola region. The people of Alola seem unconcerned by the question. Their guess: maybe it ate too many sweet and fluffy round pancakes!"

GF probably gave it a form just for the heck of giving Raichu some love.

Janovy

Banned
So...

"Even Pokémon researchers don’t know why Raichu’s form changed in the Alola region. The people of Alola seem unconcerned by the question. Their guess: maybe it ate too many sweet and fluffy round pancakes!"

I was just about to post this lol

They didn't even bother justifying it haha

GDK

So...

Yeah I love that bit. We don't know and nobody cares why but here's a new form !

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
So...

So you're telling me I can get psychic powers from eating pancakes? I've had my eating arrangements all wrong for so many years.

SlimeStack

Someone told me there wouldn't be Sinnoh variants because they wouldn't make any sense, and then you have GF's reasoning for Raichu's form.

I love everything about this Raichu, lol.

ECM

Someone told me there wouldn't be Sinnoh variants because they wouldn't make any sense, and then you have GF's reasoning for Raichu's form.

I love everything about this Raichu, lol.

Part of the beauty of Pokémon is that nothing HAS to make sense. There are a lot of things in Pokémon that don't make sense, so as far as I'm concerned, we can hope for anything. Mega Evolution and Alolan forms have been huge surprises for me, both of which I love.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
Just read the info on the site, that moment when they can't manage to come up with a reason for Raichu's Alolan form :D

Andraste

So...

I think this is my second-favourite piece of lore this generation after Mimikyu's whole story. Nobody knows why, nobody cares why, Raichu is Psychic now!

Really nice to see a Pokemon overshadowed by its own evolution get some love. I probably won't be using it in my first team, but it's super cute and I want to give it a hug. And maybe feed it some pancakes.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
So...

Because GF did another screwing with us (throwback to B2W2 where the line of guys who will dance for no reason, and will one day disappear for no reason).

I just love the idea of terrain abilities. Hopefully this means that Terrain extending items become a thing so Alolan Raichu can stay fast in battle.
I can't wait to see which Pokémon gets Fae Fighter (increased offenses in Misty Terrain). Maybe Alolan Butterfree with Bug/Fairy typing could get Fae Fighter.

Genos

TTYD
So...

Mmmm pancakes.

I'm happy there's something for Raichu.

gliscor&yanmega

I feel like with the lore of the new Alolan Pokemon(Even Raichu), makes me feel my theory is more possible.

Basically, any Pokemon has the potential of becoming Ghost, Psychic, Dark, Dragon, Fairy, and I suspect Bug and Fighting. It's just a matter of how far their potential goes.

We see with Alolan Exeggutor; who is thought to be the true form, has Dragon type; which is arguably seen as the most powerful type(In a practical sense). So this could expand to the others as well. Apart of the adapting results in them reaching further potentials, and thus gaining certain secondary types. This could be something the researchers of Alolan aren't really considering so they have no idea about Raichu when in reality, it simply has reached a higher potential and thus gained Psychic type.

That's how I see it currently at least.

Orphalesion

What....? That's seriously their explanation for Raichu? It ate too many pancakes? That sounds like something out of Adventure Time ^-^

Panquake confirmed? Does it evolve by being traded while holding syrup?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Hmmm seems like everyone in hawaii has that surfer attitude, "we dont care dude raichu is psychic whats up with that man oh well lets go surfin duuuuude"

I'd like it if they said something about pikachu's wanting to surf the waves with people or something :p but this is interesting. Seems more like a fairy thing to turn typing based on eating too many sweet pancakes but whatevs it's adorable!

Also totally Hau is going to have an Alolan Raichu. We did see him with the pichu already.

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
I have to say, i'm taking a liking to these Variants. They are looking wicked cool. Meowth gets a sassy dark side. Marowak looks like an awesome kung-fu Witchdoctor. and Raichu unlocks its inner surfer and hangs ten so good, he hung eleven! Alola Raichu I love especially looks because its super cute now and it's typing is something else, I can't wait to get my hands on one!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.