• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekagi

Eevee Fan
So...

"Even Pokémon researchers don’t know why Raichu’s form changed in the Alola region. The people of Alola seem unconcerned by the question. Their guess: maybe it ate too many sweet and fluffy round pancakes!"

GF probably gave it a form just for the heck of giving Raichu some love.

A few years ago, I drew a picture of Raichu crying over why it's not as popular as its pre-evolutions. We all probably wanted it to have a Mega Evolution ever since those were first mentioned, but it didn't happen. However, as of this year, it seems I stand corrected. Not only do we have its fascinating Alolan form, it also placed #71 out of 720 on a poll tie-in for the Volcanion and Magearna movie, as well as getting a Winking variation in Pokémon Shuffle (albeit with an ability inferior to Winkachu's)!

Elementman-Novapoke

There seems to be a marking at the base of Marowak-A's tail, the silvery-grey bit above its left (our right) leg. I wonder what it is? Probably just a random spot, but still... It seemed to be more of a divot in its 3D model?

TheEliteEmpoleon

There seems to be a marking at the base of Marowak-A's tail, the silvery-grey bit above its left (our right) leg. I wonder what it is? Probably just a random spot, but still... It seemed to be more of a divot in its 3D model?

Yeah appears to just be a marking in the shape of a lemniscate. http://imgur.com/a/ZVsQG

Gizmoa

You mean it's skeletal Mr. Goodbody markings? It has stylised hips and backbone markings on it's back.

Anyhow new checklist time:

Dark Meowth - Called it (but did not call blue siamese, was thinking more black cat)
Surfing Raichu - Called it (along with the chance it would get psychic so be a telekinetic space surfer, did not call puffy ears, but did the tail, lacks little red bead in head I wanted for psychic form)
Ghost Marowak- Called it (let's face it, ghost/fire was the most obvious choice, did not call green fire, did call fire spinner)

Keep it up GF, make all the stuff on my list xD

Beat!

The Chords of Steel
If they don't give an Alolan form to Jynx that is Fire/Psychic that is a reference to the Volcano goddess Pele, then that would be a wasted opportunity and a shame.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
It's gonna really bother me how there's no Alolan Cubone. I mean, the jump just seems way too big...

So...

"Even Pokémon researchers don’t know why Raichu’s form changed in the Alola region. The people of Alola seem unconcerned by the question. Their guess: maybe it ate too many sweet and fluffy round pancakes!"

GF probably gave it a form just for the heck of giving Raichu some love.
... I'm gonna be honest, I laughed at this a lot.

NaiveLunatic

If they don't give an Alolan form to Jynx that is Fire/Psychic that is a reference to the Volcano goddess Pele, then that would be a wasted opportunity and a shame.

I'd love an Alolan Jynx, but I wouldn't be surprised if Game Freak was scared of making a new version of Jynx because it would almost certainly create some form of cultural appropriation/racism backlash. There's still plenty of people who think Jynx is a caricature of black people (I disagree, but that's an issue for another day), so imagine the outrage if they made a new Jynx for a Hawaii-based region?

There is a fanmade Jynx Alola Form floating around, not based on Pele, but pretty awesome as well
alolan-jynx.jpg

Kingudora

My favourite
I'll be so mad if Alolan Raichu is still unable to learn Surf.

This variant is even themed around surfing!

Im a big fan of the newly revealed Alola variants. For the most part they are all well designed and really well explained too.
Alola Marowak= My favorite so far. It's exactly as I thought it would look like after hearing that the Fire Trial Captain (Kiawe?) uses one. The type change is quite a radical one but I feel they did a decent job justifying it. I feel as though it's BST total will have to be increased if it is to be a truly threatening offensive Pokemon. Lightning Rod is nice as it gives it another immunity and gives it more special firepower if hit by one.
Alola Meowth= This is ok. I feel as though it is just a pathway to a badass dark type Persian (the kitty Giovanni always wanted lol). I think it has a cool backstory and dark STAB is useful. Hopefully Alolan Persian is a thing and it gets some cool new moves :)
Alola Raichu= I like the design but I find this whole thing sort of hilarious. It seems as though game freak literally just created this as an apology for showing Pikachu all the love over the years instead of Raichu. The ability and addition of psychic type interest me though. I can see Alola Raichu and Tapu Koko being a overused combo in doubles so that's something to look forward to.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I'd love an Alolan Jynx, but I wouldn't be surprised if Game Freak was scared of making a new version of Jynx because it would almost certainly create some form of cultural appropriation/racism backlash. There's still plenty of people who think Jynx is a caricature of black people (I disagree, but that's an issue for another day), so imagine the outrage if they made a new Jynx for a Hawaii-based region?

There is a fanmade Jynx Alola Form floating around, not based on Pele, but pretty awesome as well
View attachment 15897
Please, we all know this would be best for an Alolan Jynx. :p

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
#WhereWillYouBeWhenAlolanPikachuIsAnnounced?2016

storm12

Weather Bearer
Seeing as everyone was scratching their heads how Alolan Raichu came to be, I find it HILARIOUS how Gamefreak just hadwaves its and shrugs their shoulders themselves:

Even Pokémon researchers don’t know why Raichu’s form changed in the Alola region. The people of Alola seem unconcerned by the question. Their guess: maybe it ate too many sweet and fluffy round pancakes!

XD XD Actual quote from official site.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Seeing as everyone was scratching their heads how Alolan Raichu came to be, I find it HILARIOUS how Gamefreak just hadwaves its and shrugs their shoulders themselves:

Even Pokémon researchers don’t know why Raichu’s form changed in the Alola region. The people of Alola seem unconcerned by the question. Their guess: maybe it ate too many sweet and fluffy round pancakes!

XD XD Actual quote from official site.

Yep, they were like, "Well, we've spent a lot of time and effort coming up with our reasoning for these new Forms. What is the reason for your new Raichu, nameless Japanese artist we will refer to as Tim?"

"I dunno. It ate some pancakes?"

"Pancakes?"

"Yeah, like, psychic pancakes. I dunno. You're not the boss of Tim!"

"Well, I mean, I am..."

I don't know where I was going with that...but did you notice the fiery effect when Marowak used that bone attack? Do you think that might be a new move?

Gizmoa

The Japanese trailer implies that Raichu-A evolves from a regular Pikachu.

Or that A-Pikachu is not visually different from normal pikachu (thus functionally it will always become A-raichu, but will not be any different to Kanto Pikachu otherwise)

Last edited:

King Shuckle

Don't be daft
I don't know. It kind of feel like it is implied that there might be a Alolan Cubone and what we saw in the Japanese Trailer was a red herring.

"There are many Grass-type Pokémon—Marowak’s natural enemies—in the Alola region. This makes Alola a harsh environment for Cubone and Marowak. As a result, they live in close union with their partners. It’s said that their great care for their partners allowed them to gain something like a sixth sense and resulted in their changed form."

I am having a difficult time figuring what they mean by partners, or if "they" refers to both Cubone and Marowak, or just a group of Marowaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.