• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulfurian

This isn't necessarily true. Well, for one thing, most of the Pokemon revealed to have gotten Alolan forms so far are already in PU, so it would only be an improvement, but furthermore not all of the Alolan forms are strict improvements by any means. Sandshrew and Sandslash have absolutely terrible defensive typing, packing double weaknesses to the common Fighting and Fire moves that plague the metagame with a bonus Ground weakness to boot. Seeing as the flavour we've gotten so far seems to indicate it losing speed in favor of bulk (which isn't a good thing with its rather terrible defensive typing), I can't see it doing any better than standard Sandslash, or in fact maybe even worse.

While that is a good example, pokemon like Ninetails, Raichu, and Marowak have the potential to be better than their kanto-parts. (I'm sorry) Ninetails for the typing, Raichu for its interaction with electric terrian, and Marowak for potentially a great sweeper. A chandalure with ground attacks.

I just hope that both forms get love in the form of Megas or a stat buff, or min/max BOTH forms stats. I don't want this to be like a card game where a new card of the same name is just outright better than an old card. Mega evolution was like slapping an old card with a buff. This hopefully won't be power creep.

Salamandit

If they dare leaving Persian an ordinary boring cat evolution to the cool new dark meowth, i'm going to sue the creators.

Also I would really love a Flying/Ice type Noctowl, really nothing is more boring than Noctowl, he needs a better from, and I happen to love Snow Owls.

Last edited:

HoennMaster

I wonder if Alolan Pokemon get their own pokedex number. Like Raichu is #26 and Alolan Raichu is #752 (just examples)

I would be upset if they did though.

Also Tapu Koko and Alolan Raichu makes a pretty nice combo expect for the double ground weakness.

They won't. They are the same Pokémon, just adapted to Alola's climate. At most they will appear as different forms in the Pokédex.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Alola Raichu being officially revealed is great. Good design and type combo. Considering that the original Raichu and others are likely to obtainable by pokebank, that makes the Alola versions in Sun and Moon the stationary forms in the pokedex.

Sabre_King

I still wonder if the company is going to give other generation pokemon other than gen 1 variant forms. I mean I like most of the ones revealed so far, but I know there were some pokemon in every generation that could possibly benefit from these new forms. I assume if a pokemon in gen 1 gets an alolan form but evolves in a later generation that the evolution would also change. Examples would be magmar or electabuzz, and both of which are two lines I would like to see get variants form. I would also like to see primeape get a new form, while I hope golduck becomes psychic in some way. Finally I would go with nidoqueen and nidoking getting variant forms hopefully.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread before, but in the past, Pokemon that appeared in trailers as enemy Pokemon ended up being subtle nods to Mega Evolutions. If the same is true this gen for Alolan Forms, then there have been a couple of Pokemon I would love to see revamped.

Fearow was featured briefly, and he is another Pokemon like Sandslash that has never really had his heyday, and could use a new lease on life. I'm not sure what type would work best, so what ideas do people have? A Dark or ghost/Flying maribou stork could be cool. Or maybe an Electric/Flying thunderbird, if that isn't cramping Zapdos' style too much.

Also, if they do venture outside of just Kanto (I mean, GF isn't great at following rules, nobody thought there would be any Gen 5 megas until Audino randomly showed up), then Delibird and Nosepass were in trailers recently. I could see a big flightless dodo-style Delibird being amusing (and fitting for island life). I'd foresee an Ice/Flying type with a new ability called something like "Grounded" that means it doesn't get the normal Ground immunity, but its immune to Electric, or perhaps straight up Ice/Ground typing. Nosepass I could easily see with a tiki mask makeover and maybe Rock/Grass typing.

Thoughts?

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Alola Farfetch'd - Ice/Flying with Thick Fat. Adaptability to cold climate after leaving it's home to escape hunters.
Haha, that could work. I'd love a Gras/Flying Farfetch'd, or perhaps Fighting/Flying with access to Sacred Sword.

I really liked the (presumably fake) leak that suggested a Fighting/Flying Dodrio, because I could totally see them being kickboxers, taking inspiration from the secretary bird.

gliscor&yanmega

"Because it can" is justification for nothing.
In this case it pretty much is. Alolan Pokemon stats are going o be different to some degree. Nothing stopping them from changing HP, albeit, Alolan Raichu doesn't seem to show any major change so it could most likely stay the same as regular Raichu.

Dnooage

Alola raichu and Tapu Koko seem like a potential good double team. I'm all for bringing electric types up.

I'm feeling really good about a nidoking/nidoqueen alola form. Either Poison/fairy or ground/fairy.

Ascended Dialga

Alolan Raichu surfs on its tail...Oh, you mean like this?

tumblr_o4ise4nuBJ1v5gk1xo1_400.gif

Now that's what I call fanservice.

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild
Alolan Raichu surfs on its tail...Oh, you mean like this?

tumblr_o4ise4nuBJ1v5gk1xo1_400.gif

Now that's what I call fanservice.

It's also a nod to Puka from The Pi-kahuna LOL.
Which, in hindsight, shouldn't have surprised me.

King Shuckle

Don't be daft
I wonder how Pikachu evolves into Raichu. I mean, Thunder Stone still makes sense, but it doesn't learn anything after it evolves, so I wonder if Alolan Raichu will be obtained differently and have some Psychic level up moves.

Salamandit

Castform = Normal / Ghost
Zangoose = Normal / Fight
Lilligant = Grass / Fairy
Serperior = Grass / Dragon
Heatmor = Fire / Steel
Golduck = Water / Psychic
Samurott = Water / Fighting
Milotic = Fairy / Water
Gyarados = Dragon / Water
Volbeat = Bug / Fairy
Ninjask = Bug / Dark
Yanmega = Bug / Dragon
Vespiquen = Bug / Psychic
Minun = Electric / Fairy
Plusle = Electric / Fairy
Electabuzz = Electric / Fighting
Luxray = Electric / Dark
Eelektross = Electric / Water
Barbaracle = Rock / Fighting
Glalie = Ice / Rock
Sableye = Ghost / Rock
Mismagius = Ghost / Fairy
Banette = Ghost / Psychic
Liepard = Normal / Dark
Zoroark = Dark / Fairy
Granbull = Fairy / Fighting
Aromatisse = Fairy / Poison
Steelix = Steel / Rock
Pidgeot = Flying
Arbok = Poison / Psychic
Haxorus = Dragon / Steel

I wouldn't mind alternative versions with these typings, typings that fit these pokemon like a glove

I was surprised that the Japanese trailer pretty much showed that we wouldn't get an Alolan Cubone, I didn't expect that with such a radical type change. I'm pretty sure Cubone->Alolan Marowak is the first evolutionary process in which the evolved form gains two completely new types over just one transition.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Castform = Normal / Ghost
Zangoose = Normal / Fight
Lilligant = Grass / Fairy
Serperior = Grass / Dragon
Heatmor = Fire / Steel
Golduck = Water / Psychic
Samurott = Water / Fighting
Milotic = Fairy / Water
Gyarados = Dragon / Water
Volbeat = Bug / Fairy
Ninjask = Bug / Dark
Yanmega = Bug / Dragon
Vespiquen = Bug / Psychic
Minun = Electric / Fairy
Plusle = Electric / Fairy
Electabuzz = Electric / Fighting
Luxray = Electric / Dark
Eelektross = Electric / Water
Barbaracle = Rock / Fighting
Glalie = Ice / Rock
Sableye = Ghost / Rock
Mismagius = Ghost / Fairy
Banette = Ghost / Psychic
Liepard = Normal / Dark
Zoroark = Dark / Fairy
Granbull = Fairy / Fighting
Aromatisse = Fairy / Poison
Steelix = Steel / Rock
Pidgeot = Flying
Arbok = Poison / Psychic
Haxorus = Dragon / Steel

I wouldn't mind alternative versions with these typings, typings that fit these pokemon like a glove
I could see these. Only thing: Luxray with Electric/Dark? The guy literally has "light" in its name.

Sakuraba

I could see these. Only thing: Luxray with Electric/Dark? The guy literally has "light" in its name.

I think it has to do with the electric typing. That and the whole gleam eys thing it has going for it.

Honestly, I rather have a Mega Luxray being Electric/Dark than just a form.

Salamandit

Castform = Normal / Ghost (It even looks like casper the ghost... )
Zangoose = Normal / Fight (The scars he gained from FIGHTING, he also should have the ability to do more damage to dragons, much like Ichneumon in the mythology, a small mongoose that kills dragons.)
Lilligant = Grass / Fairy (Like a plant princess, and princesses are cute, so Fairy.)
Serperior = Grass / Dragon (Everything about this pokemon screams dragon.)
Heatmor = Fire / Steel (Only a legendary pokemon has this typing, and I don't count them with the normal pokes, this is based on a flamethrower, so steel would make sence, just turn the arms and snout into metal)
Golduck = Water / Psychic (lol, this is just so wanted)
Samurott = Water / Fighting (Samurai love to fight right, and I kinda hate the Poliwrath anyway, need another water/fighting)
Milotic = Fairy / Water (common, make this happen! Beautiful like mermaid, so fairy)
Gyarados = Dragon / Water (This is a DRAGON, nothing else)
Volbeat = Bug / Fairy (Or illumise too, but I don't care for Illumise)
Ninjask = Bug / Dark (with levitate I guess, though I find that ability cheap, but we need a bug/dark, and ninja's are dark.)
Yanmega = Bug / Dragon (I'd rather not touch the cool typing of Flygon, and I don't care for the other Dragon/Ground at all, so Yanmega should be the bug/dragon.)
Vespiquen = Bug / Psychic (She controlls the other insects with her mind)
Minun = Electric / Fairy (cute so fairy)
Plusle = Electric / Fairy (cute so fairy)
Electabuzz = Electric / Fighting (Helllooo that stance! Come on and fight me, with those big knuckles + it is an unique combination, it just fits the electabuzz family)
Luxray = Electric / Dark (dark color, evil appearance, lazer eyes, everything screams dark)
Eelektross = Electric / Water (I hate HATE HATE the stupid happy-face of Lantern, this would be a perfect replacer)
Barbaracle = Rock / Fighting (His arms look like hands, and we have enough water/rocks...
Glalie = Ice / Rock (It is a rock on ice, so it would have made sense)
Sableye = Ghost / Rock (We already have a ghost/dark, and this fellow is all about gemstones.)
Mismagius = Ghost / Fairy (Banshee = fairy)
Banette = Ghost / Psychic (the puppeteer powers are psychic)
Liepard = Normal / Dark (Well maybe Persian, but this one could do as well)
Zoroark = Dark / Fairy (Fairytale character + we need dark/fairy badly, illusion is also a fairy power)
Granbull = Fairy / Fighting (A big fighting dog fairy)
Aromatisse = Fairy / Poison (she poisons everyone with her poisonous parfums, the non-evolved form even wears a gas-mask)
Steelix = Steel / Rock (Why ground? This creature is made from ROCKS)
Pidgeot = Flying (cut the normal bullcrap, we need a flying only, and no better candidate than the lord of wind Pidgeot)
Arbok = Poison / Psychic (KAAA LOOK INTO MY EYES HYPNOTIZE! I could see this work really with some awesome restyle)
Haxorus = Dragon / Steel (I don't care if it become weaker or gains more immunities or whatever, I want it! I hate legendaries so I need a dragon / steel ordinary pokemon)
Noctowl = Flying / Ice (snow owl for the win, and noctowl is boring so it needs a cool upgrade.)
Fearow = Flying / Electric (common, I liked this idea from above)

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I think it has to do with the electric typing. That and the whole gleam eys thing it has going for it.

Honestly, I rather have a Mega Luxray being Electric/Dark than just a form.
But like

It has light in its name. It's tail is even a star. I don't think that really "screams" Dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.