• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
What if we did get a Dragonite along the lines of the dragonair design and it became dragon/fairy? Dragonair looks as much a fairy type as a dragon type really.

I've always thought dragonite was fairy-ish, and was just thinking of suggesting this idea! Although I don't know about the dragonairish look. From the already shown alola forms, it seems like they tend to keep basic body shapes, and dragonite is as fairyish as dragonair. Besides, I would imagine that if an evolution gets an alola form, it's plausible that its pre-evolution will, so there could be both an alola dragonair and dragonite.

An alola dragonite would make me happy because I love dragonite, and if it could get typing that would keep it from x4 weaknesses it would give me an extra excuse to use it again.

This I can agree on. I never understood why Cottonee and Whimsicott got a new type while Petilil and Liligant didn't. Grass/Water would be perfect. Could have Sap Sipper and Water Absorb.
Myself, I've always thought that it would've made more sense to change petilil and lilligant to part fairy than cottonee and whimsicott... I mean, lilligant seems just like some sort of forest sprite...

Anyone thinking of keeping alola and non-alola forms in a team side by side (via importing newly hatched ones from XYORAS)? It would be fun to keep one of each for vulpix and growlith lines (assuming the leaks of a water growlithe/arcanine are true).

Edit: also, can someone explain to me why a region based off of Hawaii has a number of pokemon adapt to be ice types? I'm all for ice/fairy ninetails, but I still find it a bit confusing...

Last edited:

R_N

Edit: also, can someone explain to me why a region based off of Hawaii has a number of pokemon adapt to be ice types? I'm all for ice/fairy ninetails, but I still find it a bit confusing...

Hawaii does get snow in its mountaintops. I believe the primary snowy mountain in Alola is based on the bigger Hawaiian mountain but I can't remember the name of it.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Alola Muk - Poison/Dark with Poison Touch. Muk's constant time in the dark corners of Alola has cause it to adapt to a new form where it could camouflage itself in shadows with ease.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Isn't Raichu a three-stage evolution? ^^ I know it's only for the last evo in the line, but doesn't that open up Alolan forms to anything?

Ah, that is true. I forgot about Pichu. Was only think by Gen 1 logic. Then it seems reasonable to assume that they can provide new forms for any pokemon regardless of evolution stages.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Anyone thinking of keeping alola and non-alola forms in a team side by side (via importing newly hatched ones from....

Both versions of Sandshrew/Sandslash may end up on my team, as long as they don't overwhelm me haha. Although, on my first play through I'd like to try using all different Pokemon, in which case I'll likely have Alolan Sandslash by itself.

Sakuraba

Ah, that is true. I forgot about Pichu. Was only think by Gen 1 logic. Then it seems reasonable to assume that they can provide new forms for any pokemon regardless of evolution stages.

It'd be weird though. Like, here's my Alolan Meowth. He's a Dark type!

-reaches level 28-

Here's my Persian. For some reason, he's back to being a Normal type now!

Akashin

It'd be weird though. Like, here's my Alolan Meowth. He's a Dark type!

-reaches level 28-

Here's my Persian. For some reason, he's back to being a Normal type now!

Agreed. My guess is that it's possible for ordinary Pokemon to mutate in their evolution and become an Alolan Pokemon for one reason or another (see Alolan Exeggutor, Marowak and Raichu), but that once you're an Alolan Pokemon, all subsequent evolutions are as well. It doesn't particularly make sense to go through a huge biological change and then just, well, undo that when you evolve.

loverofsheep

incrediblegoodboy
I definitely don't think they'll be making alolan forms evolve into regular form Pokemon, it just feels poinless. Alolan Persian will definitely be a thing but I kind of hope we don't see it until launch cause I'd like to use it on my team and I'm interested in being surprised.

One thing for the future that I'm really curious if we'll see (and forgive me if it's been brought up before and I missed it) is alternate forms for Pokemon that are said to be invasive. Corphish, Crawdaunt, Yungoos and Gumshoos are all supposed to be from other regions than the ones they were introduced in so I think there's an oppertunity there for them to give these Pokemon regional variations for the regions they come from originally.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
Agreed. My guess is that it's possible for ordinary Pokemon to mutate in their evolution and become an Alolan Pokemon for one reason or another (see Alolan Exeggutor, Marowak and Raichu), but that once you're an Alolan Pokemon, all subsequent evolutions are as well. It doesn't particularly make sense to go through a huge biological change and then just, well, undo that when you evolve.

I hope not on the mutating during evolution. If I import a level 1 non-alola growlithe to start with (so I can have alola and non-alola arcanines side by side eventually), I'd be very disappointed if it evolved into an alola arcanine...

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
I hope not on the mutating during evolution. If I import a level 1 non-alola growlithe to start with (so I can have alola and non-alola arcanines side by side eventually), I'd be very disappointed if it evolved into an alola arcanine...

That would be weird. I assume it's not the case. By how current mechanics go- breeding a female pokemon should produce an identical variant. (Normal Persian= Normal Meowth) But evolution variants such as Exeggcutor and Marowak- I'm guessing that anything born within the Sun/Moon games becomes Alolan- with any Cubones and Exeggcute marked as previous gen will remain normal when evolving.

These rules makes the most sense to me.

That would be weird. I assume it's not the case. By how current mechanics go- breeding a female pokemon should produce an identical variant. (Normal Persian= Normal Meowth) But evolution variants such as Exeggcutor and Marowak- I'm guessing that anything born within the Sun/Moon games becomes Alolan- with any Cubones and Exeggcute marked as previous gen will remain normal when evolving.

These rules makes the most sense to me.

I think that Pokémon are going to be genetically marked for their capability to be or evolve into an Alola Form, but what's interesting to note is that regular or Alolan Exeggutor seems to be based on how much sunlight is absorbed by the Exeggute, which means that from an in universe standpoint it seems that Alolan Exeggutor is the product of environmental adaption during evolution (and thus all Exeggute would be able to evolve into regular or Alolan variants) instead of genetic mutations that affect only a sub group of Exeggute. However, flavour text also says that Magcargo is as hot as the sun which is impossible, so I feel that it'll just be a simple case of 'it evolves into what its mother (or father in a Ditto breed) would evolve into'.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Ooooh I like your idea for Omanyte and Omastar! As far as design goes I'd find it interesting if they'd end up looking like more recent reconstructions of ammonites, with the shell above their faces.
Tyrunt and Tyrantrum as Dragon/Dark also makes huge amount of sense.
I see your point with Cranaidos...though now I think that it might be better off as a Fighting type? Either pure Fighting or Rock/Fighting or Normal/Fighting.
I love your suggestion for Omanyte/star's shell. I just had a very funny image of a Poke-palaeontologist sheepishly admitting they had the shell round the wrong way for all their past reconstructions. Kinda like how iguanadon was originally reconstructed with its thumb-spike on its nose. XD

I think that Pokémon are going to be genetically marked for their capability to be or evolve into an Alola Form, but what's interesting to note is that regular or Alolan Exeggutor seems to be based on how much sunlight is absorbed by the Exeggute, which means that from an in universe standpoint it seems that Alolan Exeggutor is the product of environmental adaption during evolution (and thus all Exeggute would be able to evolve into regular or Alolan variants) instead of genetic mutations that affect only a sub group of Exeggute. However, flavour text also says that Magcargo is as hot as the sun which is impossible, so I feel that it'll just be a simple case of 'it evolves into what its mother (or father in a Ditto breed) would evolve into'.
I agree. I'm pretty sure they'll work almost exactly like Shellos. Eastern Shellos always evolves into Eastern Gastrodon, Western Shellos always evolves into Western Gastrodon. The only interesting ones are when regular pokes evolve into Alola Forms, because - as you say - there is some lore-support for it working like a split evolution. Kind of like Eevee's Leafeon and Glaceon, or the "electric field" evolutions, where the place you evolve it determines which form it will take. But while that makes sense for Exeggucute, I'm not sure how much it does for Pikachu or Cubone. If it's determined by their parents/where the original was caught, it would be useful to have some kind of indicator, like the Kalos pentagon, to tell us whether a poke that is possibly Alolan, but looks the same, is or not. Otherwise things getting mixed up in boxes is a real possibility, not to mention Wondertrade!

Last edited:

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer
Skimming the fossil discussion I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but a neat back story for Alolan fossils could be they are simply found in the wild and never truly went extinct. This would explain why they have their "natural" typings in Alolan form, instead of all being half Rock.

Julia Artemis

Skimming the fossil discussion I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but a neat back story for Alolan fossils could be they are simply found in the wild and never truly went extinct. This would explain why they have their "natural" typings in Alolan form, instead of all being half Rock.

There is a rumor that one of the islands might have a section with original forms of fossil pokemon. This would be interesting, I kind of hope this is true, the rock typing always annoyed me about the fossil pokemon.

Elementman-Novapoke

Tangela, Electabuzz, Magmar...I do wonder if they'll bother with pokemon that have cross-gen evolutions

I'd hope that there wouldn't be an Alolan form exclusive to a NFE pokemon. How lame would it be if only Electabuzz had an Alola form with no Alola Electivire to evolve into

I could see them giving a NFE Pokémon an alolan form (especially if it was originally a Gen I, and had an evolution in a later Gen, since it seems to be going Gen I only at present) and then making it unable to evolve into its later form (i.e so Alolan Electabuzz can't evolve with the Electirizer), and then the reasoning would be 'Electabuzz didn't need to evolve to counter _____ threat or gain _____ ability, because here in Alola, it adapted by gaining _____ type / ability and so...' blah.

Not saying I want this to happen, but it looks like we can't rule too much out with GF these days!

There is a rumor that one of the islands might have a section with original forms of fossil pokemon. This would be interesting, I kind of hope this is true, the rock typing always annoyed me about the fossil pokemon.

Ooh, I've not seen this rumour around? I've been away the last couple of days - anything interesting that I've missed?

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Ooh, I've not seen this rumour around? I've been away the last couple of days - anything interesting that I've missed?

Within the next week, we may get a new Greninja Form revealed, and judging by the name, it will be fabulous. Beyond that, there is almost too much to cover, but none of it (including the Greninja thing) has any weight so far.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Within the next week, we may get a new Greninja Form revealed, and judging by the name, it will be fabulous. Beyond that, there is almost too much to cover, but none of it (including the Greninja thing) has any weight so far.

I thought the supposed "leak" said rainbow greninja is ash greninja just with a different name.

Akashin

I thought the supposed "leak" said rainbow greninja is ash greninja just with a different name.

I think that was just a calculated assumption on our part. I don't recall it outright saying as much.

Edit: I stand corrected. It wasn't said in the initial leak post, but yes, the leaker did say that Ash Greninja and Rainbow Greninja are the same and that it'll be revealed at the end of Worlds.

Last edited:

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

Nope, it just said "Greninja (Rainbow)". Don't get me wrong, if it is real, it's probably Ash-Greninja, just coming in different colors based on what move it uses, but the "leak" didn't say as much.

CORRECTION: I double checked the "leak" on PokeJungle, and it does say that Rainbow Greninja is Ash-Greninja under another name. Also, it will be announced during the closing ceremony of Worlds (which is how Mega Kang and Mega Sableye were revealed, might I add). It also said a Meowth with "Happy Hour" and the OT Alola will be distributed at Worlds, which means we won't even need to wait until Sunday to confirm/debunk the leak.

Last edited:

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
I would love this, but I highly doubt it will happen. If it does, it better be called Isla Nublar. Or at least "Clouded Island" or something with some kind of homage.

Status
Not open for further replies.