• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charmander27

Very Melon
While a lot of people exclude it because of Bellossom (which idk why we haven't seen the hula girl Pokémon yet in Hawai'i!), I am still most hoping for Alolan Oddish/Gloom/Vileplume. My preferred typings would be Grass/Fire, but I could see almost anything being cool! They are in my top 5 favorite Pokémon, and I'd love to see them get a new spotlight.

Dodrio is another of my favorites, but I'm honestly nervous about it getting an Alola form, because I can't see them making the design any cooler.

Rapidash, Muk, Arbok, and Weezing would be other gen1 Pokémon that I'd like to see get Alola forms, as well as several others from generations 2, 3, and 4.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
While a lot of people exclude it because of Bellossom (which idk why we haven't seen the hula girl Pokémon yet in Hawai'i!), I am still most hoping for Alolan Oddish/Gloom/Vileplume. My preferred typings would be Grass/Fire, but I could see almost anything being cool! They are in my top 5 favorite Pokémon, and I'd love to see them get a new spotlight.

Dodrio is another of my favorites, but I'm honestly nervous about it getting an Alola form, because I can't see them making the design any cooler.

Rapidash, Muk, Arbok, and Weezing would be other gen1 Pokémon that I'd like to see get Alola forms, as well as several others from generations 2, 3, and 4.
We actually did see a hula girl, in a Japan trailer.

TyLogic

Wouldn't the pokemon your looking for be Pa'u style Oricorio?

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
Has anybody else wondered if this means future games will get regional variants as well? like what if Sinnoan Raichu became a thing in the probable DP remakes?

as for now, Im not sure if the lack of any alolan forms outside of gen I pokemon means anything. I don't see why they would keep it exclusively to kanto pokemon. so it makes me think no, but why only show the originals? only thing i can think of is maybe theyre doing it because 20 year anniversary, wanting to rehype and just show that they havent forgotten the older fans, as well as Pokemon™'s origins

TyLogic

Has anybody else wondered if this means future games will get regional variants as well? like what if Sinnoan Raichu became a thing in the probable DP remakes?

as for now, Im not sure if the lack of any alolan forms outside of gen I pokemon means anything. I don't see why they would keep it exclusively to kanto pokemon. so it makes me think no, but why only show the originals? only thing i can think of is maybe theyre doing it because 20 year anniversary, wanting to rehype and just show that they havent forgotten the older fans, as well as Pokemon™'s origins

In remakes... No. In gen8... Yes. There could very well be new regional forms in whatever region is in pokemon Garnet and Topaz. (Those aren't real :D)

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
In remakes... No. In gen8... Yes. There could very well be new regional forms in whatever region is in pokemon Garnet and Topaz. (Those aren't real :D)

Why not in remakes?

It's funny i was thinking since they are including mega evolution again and they arent promoting it at all, i figured theyre probably saving any and all new mega evolutions for the remakes or whatever next version comes next. just like they left out a lot of obvious blanks for ORAS (sceptile, swampert, gallade, etc.)

TyLogic

Why not in remakes?

It's funny i was thinking since they are including mega evolution again and they arent promoting it at all, i figured theyre probably saving any and all new mega evolutions for the remakes or whatever next version comes next. just like they left out a lot of obvious blanks for ORAS (sceptile, swampert, gallade, etc.)

Unless they do the alternate universe thing (which I don't like), they won't make Sinnoan forms. Actually part of me is doubtful we will get Sinnoh remakes this gen.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Unless they do the alternate universe thing (which I don't like), they won't make Sinnoan forms. Actually part of me is doubtful we will get Sinnoh remakes this gen.

Exactly, it can be an AU deal. I mean, we saw a change in Sinnoh's climate just in between Diamond/Pearl and Platinum, with the entire Region growing much colder, so why can't the Region change enough in remakes to facilitate new Regional Variants?

R_N

Remakes are already an AU deal, though Like ORAS, ignoring all its other changes, has mega evolution, primal reversions and 3 extra generations of pokemon. Sinnoh forms would just be a drop in the bucket if they so choose.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Remakes are already an AU deal, though Like ORAS, ignoring all its other changes, has mega evolution, primal reversions and 3 extra generations of pokemon. Sinnoh forms would just be a drop in the bucket if they so choose.

If Alola seems to be only doing Kanto alts, maybe Sinnoh could do Johto alts. Or we could have both Johto and Hoenn on different sides of Mt Coronet if they want to be clever. Hmm...they could actually use that as a mechanic for "Sinnoan Forms", given they kind of already teased it with the Shellos line

TyLogic

What would the pokemon become though? They were normal in the original. Being colder shouldn't change too much. They will probably become Ice and Fire-types. The types in Sinnoh are kind of limited compared to Alola. Alola just has so many areas. Oh yeah and Rock-types too. Sinnohs got a lot of caves.

Luthor

What would the pokemon become though? They were normal in the original. Being colder shouldn't change too much. They will probably become Ice and Fire-types. The types in Sinnoh are kind of limited compared to Alola. Alola just has so many areas. Oh yeah and Rock-types too. Sinnohs got a lot of caves.

What if it's pokemon from gen 5 or 6? given they haven't been seen there we don't know the effect for them.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Sinnoh has many cold areas for Ice types, a volcano for Fire types, a dessert for Ground types, a forest for Grass and Bug types, a huge swamp for Water, Ground, and Grass types, an electrified mountain and a futuristic port town for Electric types, a mining island for Steel and Rock types, many many caves for Rock and Fighting types, Hallowed Tower for Ghost and Psychic types, a rainforest area for yet more Grass and Bug types, many lakes and sea routes for more Water types, hidden spots and dark areas for Dark and Dragon types, and Flying and Fairy types are pretty much everywhere. Even if I hadn't already listed all of these, I could just say, "well, every type was found in Sinnoh before. Why can't regional variants adapt the same way they did?". Or, there's the fact that even in Alola, a tropical region, we have two lines of Ice-type variants. And in those two lines, we have two more types that just make sense for those redesigns. The possibilities are endless, and Sinnoh is incredibly diverse. So much so that it already has different regional forms before they were even a thing! Sinnoh forms of Johto Pokemon make perfect sense for DP remakes because Sinnoh is already heavily tied to the Johto games. A documentary on the Red Gyarados ordeal is what spurs our adventure after all! I would be incredibly surprised if GF didn't put Johto regional variants in DP remakes, if they do make them. The appropriateness of this may be why we are only getting Kanto ones in Alola, but another reason is that right now it is the 20th anniversary of Gen 1. Gen 2's won't be for a couple of years, which could well be when we get DP remakes. It all makes sense!

Orphalesion

You know you could say the same, on paper about a tropical island not lending itself to many types "Why introduce alternate forms in Alola? All they are gonna become is Water, Grass and Fire types!" Yet...look at the variety of types we already have.

Sinnoh is plenty varied; plus we have the huge mountain range that can isolate populations of pokemon and lead to mutations. Even from a climate perspective the potential types can be very varied; in the real world when mammals are confronted with cold climates they get bigger, fatter and harrier. That could translate to a pokemon (like Stantler or Tauros) developing the fighting type to make use of its extra bulk.

Plus of the Alolan forms one is tied to the history of Alola's family, one is inspired by Hawaiian mythology and one...ate pancakes, so the possibilities as to why regional forms come into existence are endless. Sinnoh is based on Hokkaido. I don't know anything about Hokkaido, but thankfully the game designers of a potential Gen 4 remake would and could use that knowledge to create any number of varied Sinnohan Forms.
The possibilities in fictional worlds are always only limited by imagination alone.

If Alola seems to be only doing Kanto alts, maybe Sinnoh could do Johto alts. Or we could have both Johto and Hoenn on different sides of Mt Coronet if they want to be clever. Hmm...they could actually use that as a mechanic for "Sinnoan Forms", given they kind of already teased it with the Shellos line

I love that idea ^-^

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
You know you could say the same, on paper about a tropical island not lending itself to many types "Why introduce alternate forms in Alola? All they are gonna become is Water, Grass and Fire types!" Yet...look at the variety of types we already have.

Sinnoh is plenty varied; plus we have the huge mountain range that can isolate populations of pokemon and lead to mutations. Even from a climate perspective the potential types can be very varied; in the real world when mammals are confronted with cold climates they get bigger, fatter and harrier. That could translate to a pokemon (like Stantler or Tauros) developing the fighting type to make use of its extra bulk.

Plus of the Alolan forms one is tied to the history of Alola's family, one is inspired by Hawaiian mythology and one...ate pancakes, so the possibilities as to why regional forms come into existence are endless. Sinnoh is based on Hokkaido. I don't know anything about Hokkaido, but thankfully the game designers of a potential Gen 4 remake would and could use that knowledge to create any number of varied Sinnohan Forms.
The possibilities in fictional worlds are always only limited by imagination alone.

I love that idea ^-^
Exactly what I was getting at, but said a bit less ramble-y. Thanks XD

I would love a buff elk-like Stantler XD Also, part of Sinnoh (the postgame area) is actually part of Russia irl, so we could even see some Russian fauna influencing regional variants.

Orphalesion

I would love a buff elk-like Stantler XD Also, part of Sinnoh (the postgame area) is actually part of Russia irl, so we could even see some Russian fauna influencing regional variants.

Well afiak Japan and Russia fought about Sakhalin (the island north of Hokkaido on which the Battle Zone in DPPt is situated) quite a bit, so I'm not sure how readily they'd put stereotypical Russian fauna into it.. but...Ice/Fire typed Siberian husky Arcanines!!!! :D

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Let's talk what kind of variations certain regions would create on Pokemon.

Sinnoh would most likely result in more species being fluffier or having more body fat to help combat the colder climate, resulting in more defensive breeds of the species.

Unova would have the Pokemon living in man made structures for so long they started developing into breeds that are more fit for living in the human world.

Johto and Kanto's bland landscapes would be the region where the 'base' form of the species hail from.

Hoenn would result in more tropical and lightly dressed species as they adapted to handle the warmer climates, many slow species become faster lighter breeds here.

Kalos pokemon breeds tend to have shaggy unkept fur that works well with all the grommers, evolutionary advantages of the longer fur means they got groomed into looking more attractive and thus over time the long haired variants bred out the short haired ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.