• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyLogic

HA

Just a cheap excuse for no new dark/ice types.

Didn't the Chinese Riddler predict more Dark-types? If I'm correct, he said there would be 4-6 Ice-types. But four of them seem to be Alola forms, so that must mean that the two-stage snowman pokemon is the only new Ice-type.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
I'm really disappointed by Alolan Grimer. Take away the teeth and the yellow jaw and it just looks like a regular shiny Grimer. I don't like the design either. The yellow jaw and teeth look really stupid IMO. I hope Alolan Muk looks better. I also don't like how they just seem to be slapping the Dark typing onto a lot of Alolan forms but aren't revealing any new Dark types. I was hoping for Alolan Grimer and Muk to be Fire or Ground types, preferably losing Poison.

At least the information about Jangmo-o and Type: Null sounds promising.

TyLogic

I'm really disappointed by Alolan Grimer. Take away the teeth and the yellow jaw and it just looks like a regular shiny Grimer. I don't like the design either. The yellow jaw and teeth look really stupid IMO. I hope Alolan Muk looks better. I also don't like how they just seem to be slapping the Dark typing onto a lot of Alolan forms but aren't revealing any new Dark types. I was hoping for Alolan Grimer and Muk to be Fire or Ground types, preferably losing Poison.

At least the information about Jangmo-o and Type: Null sounds promising.

It's always possible that Alolan Muk loses the Poison-type. I don't know how often that happens but it's possible that Alolan Muk is uncontaminated.

BlackRaven

Go Charizard!!!!
Type-null doesn't really feel like it needs to evolve.

It has the same feel to me as the one i had about giving Mewtwo a mega.

BlitzGirl41

Yeah, it's supposed to be the equivalent (in my opinion) to a mythic Pokemon, albeit a man-made one, and those don't seem to evolve but maybe have different forms. I wonder if this "evolution" is actually just a conditional form change...?

TyLogic

Yeah, but the ones that don't look like they evolve usually end up looking cool right?

I am curious as to what Type:Null's evolution looks like. I mean...it's a chimera...

I can't really see it remaining a quadruped. Maybe it stands on it's hind legs and becomes bipedal. Type:Null is 6'03" after all.

BlackRaven

Go Charizard!!!!
Yeah, but the ones that don't look like they evolve usually end up looking cool right?

I guess...

gliscor&yanmega

The yellow around the mouth seems kind of odd, but I'm alright with Alolan Grimer, curious how Alolan Muk will look like, I imagine it'll be similar. It is a bit of a shame that it's yet another Dark type revealed for Alolan forms but still none for new Pokemon.

Curious which Pokemon are next for an Alolan form.

TyLogic

I hope that Alolan Grimer or Muk is similar to oobleck. You know? That substance that's a solid and a liquid at the same time? They could have a new Ability!

Double Matter: Moves with increased priorty only do half damage to the Pokemon.

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
I am personally thrilled that the Grimer line is part Dark now. Another one of my favorite Gen 1 pokemon now available for my Dark teams!

I don't really see all the hate over its design. You can not like it, sure, but it's no less "unoriginal" that any of the other forms. Vulpix and Ninetales are palette swaps with slightly more connected tails. Sandshrew and Sandslash are palette swaps and Sandshrew's head was slightly reshaped. Exeggutor got a super tall trunk and a tail. These are supposed to be small variations, not redesigns, much like the difference between an arctic fox and a red fox.

I can't wait to see what abilities they gave A-Grimer. Since it kept the Poison typing, all of its current abilities would still be fitting. I would like to see it gain an ability that fits the new Dark typing, though.

Blaze990

Correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't dark type called evil in Japanese? If so it makes you wonder whats inside Alolan food that made Grimer turn dark/evil Putting that aside, Muk is one of my favourite pokemon... so I think if Alolan Muk has a nice design it might replace Alolan Exeggutor on my team!

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I don't really see all the hate over its design. You can not like it, sure, but it's no less "unoriginal" that any of the other forms. Vulpix and Ninetales are palette swaps with slightly more connected tails. Sandshrew and Sandslash are palette swaps and Sandshrew's head was slightly reshaped. Exeggutor got a super tall trunk and a tail. These are supposed to be small variations, not redesigns, much like the difference between an arctic fox and a red fox.

At first, I thought it was just a genwunner thing when so many people complained about Trubbish & Vanillite. However, now I think this is just most people's initial reactions whenever they introduce a pokémon based on an inanimate object. Though it wasn't as bad as the hate for Alolan Grimer, I remember people spamming similar posts for pokémon like Klefki & Sandgygast

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
Correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't dark type called evil in Japanese? If so it makes you wonder whats inside Alolan food that made Grimer turn dark/evil �� Putting that aside, Muk is one of my favourite pokemon... so I think if Alolan Muk has a nice design it might replace Alolan Exeggutor on my team!

It is. The Dark type is themed around dirty fighting, cheap tricks, deception, etc. This is why it's countered by the Fighting type, which is themed around honorable combat and the martial arts, the heroes of many Japanese stories.

Sulfurian

I am personally thrilled that the Grimer line is part Dark now. Another one of my favorite Gen 1 pokemon now available for my Dark teams!

I can't wait to see what abilities they gave A-Grimer. Since it kept the Poison typing, all of its current abilities would still be fitting. I would like to see it gain an ability that fits the new Dark typing, though.

I think it's really got to do with that some Pokémon fans have two initial reactions to designs: either they dislike it and it has to grow on them, or that they adore it because of the design appealing to them or being revealed that it has high stats. Regardless of being hypocritical when other designs are probably less inspired. Salamence for example, just your standard western dragon that they modified a bit with lore and unique looking wings.

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
I think it's really got to do with that some Pokémon fans have two initial reactions to designs: either they dislike it and it has to grow on them, or that they adore it because of the design appealing to them or being revealed that it has high stats. Regardless of being hypocritical when other designs are probably less inspired. Salamence for example, just your standard western dragon that they modified a bit with lore and unique looking wings.

I think you're exactly right. I noticed with the starter evolution leaks, there were a ton of people calling them fake and uncreative when they first leaked up until it became very apparent they were likely real and a lot of people did a complete 180. It's an odd phenomenon to watch. *shrugs*

BlackRaven

Go Charizard!!!!
Correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't dark type called evil in Japanese? If so it makes you wonder whats inside Alolan food that made Grimer turn dark/evil �� Putting that aside, Muk is one of my favourite pokemon... so I think if Alolan Muk has a nice design it might replace Alolan Exeggutor on my team!

I'm telling you man, team skull mutated them to serve as strong expendable pokemon for their grunts

Nuzlocker4Life

Someone earlier mentioned that the yellow stuff on A-Grimer is the result of water mixing with petrol. So maybe it is based on an oil spill? Would make sense with the palette change, plus oil spills are the result of human stupidity.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'm telling you man, team skull mutated them to serve as strong expendable pokemon for their grunts
I'd sooner expect that the Aether Foundation experimented on them, they left Aether Paradise either because they escaped or they were thrown away, and Team Skull found them & decided to use them.

Team Skull doesn't seem to have the skills or the technology to mutate pokémon

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
Someone earlier mentioned that the yellow stuff on A-Grimer is the result of water mixing with petrol. So maybe it is based on an oil spill? Would make sense with the palette change, plus oil spills are the result of human stupidity.

Maybe the yellow is pancake batter. Fluffy pancakes make Raichu all relaxed and opens its mind, but Grimer feeds on the batter being thrown out and it's too concentrated, causing dark thoughts rather than relaxed ones. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.