• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackRaven

Go Charizard!!!!
Team Skull doesn't seem to have the skills or the technology to mutate pokémon

Good point

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
Seems like Alola turns Pokemon evil, why so many turned into Dark types?

As for Alola Grimer, i'll be honest I'm quite disappointed. Its like a re-skin Grimer, even the official artwork is posed like the old one. Like if grimer was a Smash Bro character this would be player 4's option. I was really hoping a Grimer would do a complete type change like Ninetales did. Its just grey with yellow lips, and teeth for some reason. Make it a pile of mud, lava, molten steel, even water! Mix up its typing more. Oh well, hopefully Muk looks better and it get a good ability.

Last edited:

Gizmoa

Correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't dark type called evil in Japanese? If so it makes you wonder whats inside Alolan food that made Grimer turn dark/evil �� Putting that aside, Muk is one of my favourite pokemon... so I think if Alolan Muk has a nice design it might replace Alolan Exeggutor on my team!

Maybe it comes from a broken poorly maintained oil pipeline... that is pretty evil.

R_N

As for Alola Grimer, i'll be honest I'm quite disappointed. Its like a re-skin Grimer, even the official artwork is posed like the old one. Like if grimer was a Smash Bro character this would be player 4's option. I was really hoping a Grimer would do a complete type change like Ninetales did. Its just grey with yellow lips, and teeth for some reason. Make it a pile of mud, lava, molten steel, even water! Mix up its typing more. Oh well, hopefully Muk looks better and it get a good ability.

Most alolan pokemon use a pose similar to their original counterparts.

also people keep saying "lips" but to me i see a beard. the line between its eyes is also more distinctive and feels like its supposed to emulate glasses.
i think he's a gross nerd

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。

Ratatta line had to escape from Yungoos, which later became nocturnal for that reason and turned into Dark-type, while Meowth has been a part of the Alola's Royal family, which carries the traits of feminism, aristocrat cats that can sometimes be evil and snob. Doesn't sound too evil, considering they have a good background to back-up their new typings.

Orphalesion

Idk I thought the starters were real when I first saw them (long before Mallow) and already liked Popplio3 and Litten3. On the other hand no possible stats and abilities will ever make me like A. Grimer (or regular Grimer) same with Alolan Meowth or Raticate.

Someone earlier mentioned that the yellow stuff on A-Grimer is the result of water mixing with petrol. So maybe it is based on an oil spill? Would make sense with the palette change, plus oil spills are the result of human stupidity.

No, coolant leaking from a tank, not petrol. Still can't get over how unappetizing it looks, however.

glacialcat

I can't speak for Grimer because we don't actually know its backstory, however the reason Alolan variants seem to be so often Dark probably has to do with Hawaii's numerous invasive species problems. Invasive species are often looked at as 'bad,' less legitimate animals that are destroying natural ecosystems. Our two previous Dark-type Alolan forms are both based specifically on invasive species in Hawaii, feral cats and rats.

It is less that Alola turns things evil... and more that Alola is 'pure,' and disruptions to the 'purity' of Alola is an inherently evil thing. That is what I believe they're going for with these Dark-type Alolan forms.

As for the actual design of Alolan Grimer... eh. Didn't really ever care for original Grimer anyway. But Dark/Poison is probably one of the single best type combos so that's a plus.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
Poison/Dark is a great type combo, and Muk has pretty good stats. Depending on the stat spread and movepool of the Alolan variant, it could be real nasty.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
IMHO, Alolan Grimer is outright disgusting, and its design is not very creative. It looks like something out of a Halloween horror movie. I don't think that's a Pokémon I will be adding to my roster, I have to say. However, I am curious as to what Alolan Muk will look like, assuming there is such a thing. Hopefully, it will be more creatively designed (i.e., its appearance differs more from its Kantoan counterpart) than Alolan Grimer.

I'm much more interested in learning more about Shiruvadi.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
I can't speak for Grimer because we don't actually know its backstory, however the reason Alolan variants seem to be so often Dark probably has to do with Hawaii's numerous invasive species problems. Invasive species are often looked at as 'bad,' less legitimate animals that are destroying natural ecosystems. Our two previous Dark-type Alolan forms are both based specifically on invasive species in Hawaii, feral cats and rats.

It is less that Alola turns things evil... and more that Alola is 'pure,' and disruptions to the 'purity' of Alola is an inherently evil thing. That is what I believe they're going for with these Dark-type Alolan forms.

That's a good thought. I like it.

Wonder why meowth is behind Grimer in the scan? Maybe Alola Grimer eat Meowth, and the yellow on its chin is Meowths melted coin. hahaha.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Typing-wise, Alolan Grimer has a great typing, design-wise, it's pretty dull to me, I'm hoping Muk looks a lot better.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Typing-wise, Alolan Grimer has a great typing, design-wise, it's pretty dull to me, I'm hoping Muk looks a lot better.

"More teeth"

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
pretty sure grimer is going for a tar road-esque design origin.

You think it lays flat on the road and the yellow becomes a road marking? That's a fun idea. Google hawaian roads and they do have yellow lines running down the middle.

Alolan Muk better be wearing a traffic cone hat if that's true.

Orphalesion

I don't think I like the implications of "evil immigrant Pokemon" "defiling the perfect pure purity of perfect pure Alola" as their mere existence there is a " evil crime against Alolas perfect purity"
Plus it's not really how those pokemon developed (at least not for Meowth and Ratata) Meowth gained the dark type by being bred and spoiled by the Royal Family of Alola and Ratata kept to the cities and took to stealing food (probably because the jungle was too deadly for it)

Plus the other Alolan forms integrated well and didn't evolve dark type, Alolan Ninetales even sounds nicer and less vain than regular Ninetales.

Wonder why meowth is behind Grimer in the scan? Maybe Alola Grimer eat Meowth, and the yellow on its chin is Meowths melted coin. hahaha.

Ha. That's how Grimer gained the Dark type; it absorbed an Alolan Meowth.

glacialcat

I don't think I like the implications of "evil immigrant Pokemon" "defiling the perfect pure purity of perfect pure Alola" as their mere existence there is a " evil crime against Alolas perfect purity"
Plus it's not really how those pokemon developed (at least not for Meowth and Ratata) Meowth gained the dark type by being bred and spoiled by the Royal Family of Alola and Ratata kept to the cities and took to stealing food (probably because the jungle was too deadly for it)

Plus the other Alolan forms integrated well and didn't evolve dark type, Alolan Ninetales even sounds nicer and less vain than regular Ninetales.

Ha. That's how Grimer gained the Dark type; it absorbed an Alolan Meowth.

Alolan Ninetales isn't based on Hawaii's very very real problem with feral cats and invasive rats causing numerous extinctions of native wild life.

Hopefully if we ever get a game set in Not!Australia it'll have evil Dark-type Buneary too.

I don't want to touch the political ramifications of talking like this at all, but it is generally considered "bad" in biology when invasive species destroy natural biodiversity.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

Alolan Ninetales isn't based on Hawaii's very very real problem with feral cats and invasive rats causing numerous extinctions of native wild life.

Hopefully if we ever get a game set in Not!Australia it'll have evil Dark-type Buneary too.

Yet they were introduced to Alola (and probably by accident, I can't image a reason to introduce shrews and foxes to an environment on propose, at least an environment that doesn't lend itself to fox hunting)

I just don't think that, that is the reason why they have been given dark types and think that it would have pretty iffy implications. Also would that mean we'd get a dark Grumpig as well?

And we already have reasons for their Dark typings and they are not "they defiled perfect Alola's purity" but "they were spoiled by Alola's royal family" and "they are vicious street rats who developed a gang mentality because the environment was too deadly" in fact I can imagine that they developed the dark type when they were still ship rats which also stole from humans.

Also following that train of thought we'd also need Dark typed Seismotoad (dark/posion tgo be precise) dark typed Vulpix, dark typed Tauros etc. etc.

Sabre_King

Interesting to see Alolan Grimer, the design didnt change much but the typing is definitely a boost. All I can say is carry a ground type for them since thats the only weakness to the dual type. I wonder how Alolan Muk will now look, hopefully the change is a bit more than grimer. I may eventually use this Alolan line, for some reason I was always fascinated by this line.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.