• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
it just seems like they're swapping all the version exclusive duos. Like sandshrew and vulpix are now together. Meowth and Grimer are now together. Or like taking one of the version exclusives from each duo, pairing them up and giving them new types to pair them with., Like its not vulpix and growlithe anymore.

Leosnake

I actually like the Alolan Grimer. I know others don't and I will admit it isn't my favourite out of all of them so far. I like what they were trying to go for. That being said does anyone else think we wont see Aloloan Muk and Persian until after the main games release?

Also since Arcanine has been shown as normal on the Japanese website do you think it might get a new form in a future game instead along side other Pokemon that missed out in their respective pairings? Like Froslass or Butterfree for example? Assuming that last one doesn't get an Alolan form of course. Or do you think there is still a slim chance that it will have an Alolan form and certain Pokemon will, depending on lore reasons given. Have both forms catchable depending on the location with in the region?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I actually like the Alolan Grimer. I know others don't and I will admit it isn't my favourite out of all of them so far. I like what they were trying to go for. That being said does anyone else think we wont see Aloloan Muk and Persian until after the main games release?

Also since Arcanine has been shown as normal on the Japanese website do you think it might get a new form in a future game instead along side other Pokemon that missed out in their respective pairings? Like Froslass or Butterfree for example? Assuming that last one doesn't get an Alolan form of course. Or do you think there is still a slim chance that it will have an Alolan form and certain Pokemon will, depending on lore reasons given. Have both forms catchable depending on the location with in the region?
If they continue this regional variants trend into other generations, then yes. Plus, if they end up doing remakes for Diamond and Pearl for this generation, I'd love for them to add other pokémon to the pokédex to create Sinnoh forms for pokémon that didn't get new variations for Alola

Leosnake

If they continue this regional variants trend into other generations, then yes. Plus, if they end up doing remakes for Diamond and Pearl for this generation, I'd love for them to add other pokémon to the pokédex to create Sinnoh forms for pokémon that didn't get new variations for Alola

That would be cool. If they did that I would hope it isn't just going to be Kanto Pokemon but some of the ones that came out with Johto and Hoenn as well. Maybe the others as well it just depends on how close to the original gen 4 Pokedex they would keep it.

Also back on topic how many Alolan forms does everyone think there will be in the final games?

BlackRaven

Go Charizard!!!!

I reckon the pokemon that get sinnoh forms will probably be all from johto ( I'm talking about the theorised Diamond and Pearl remakes)

BlackRaven

Go Charizard!!!!
Also back on topic how many Alolan forms does everyone think there will be in the final games?

Realistically only around ten as almost all of the remaining pokes have been shown in their normal forms in the traillers

WyvernTamer

I've been thinking about it for awhile now but an Aloan Tentacool that's Poision/Electric would be awesome ! It's ability could be levitate to get rid of that nasty ground weakness. Jellyfish are always portrayed shocking people with electricity anyway (Even though they can't) This would be great way to show off a weird yet tropical version of Tentacool !

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
These are the Pokémon I want to get Alolan forms: Vileplume, Bellossom, Lilligant, Xatu (look more tiki like), Chatot (more tropical look), Koffing and Weezing (Poison/Fire), Litwick line (based off of a luau torch), Tropius (larger fruit and a floral crown or headdress), and Finneon and Lumineon (to look like clown fish).

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
So I took a list from inconspicuousarus and I want to talk about it:

Arbok Line-Maybe (Neither Seen)
Nidoran Lines-Maybe (None Seen)
Clefable Line-Maybe (Clefairy seen, not Clefable)
Vileplume Line-Probably Not (No for Oddish, Gloom or Bellosom due to Cross Gen Evo, maybe for Vileplume)
Venomoth Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Dugtrio Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Victreebel Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Tentacruel Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Golem Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Rapidash Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Farfetch’d Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Dodrio Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Dewgong Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Kingler Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Electrode Line-Probably Not (Seen as an accessory)
Hitmon Line-Maybe (For Chan/Lee, not Tyrogue or Top)
Weezing Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Mr. Mime Line-Maybe (Not Seen, would be Mr. Mime Only)
Jynx Line-Maybe (Not Seen, would be Jynx Only)
Omanyte Line-Probably Not (Not Seen, Doubtful due to Fossil Status)
Kabutops Line-Probably Not (Not Seen, Doubtful due to Fossil Status)

I took out the muk line since we know about it now also.

We need a bug type, a fighting type, a flying type, ground type, rock type, and water type for the alolan pokemon to be finished off using all the types. With mega evolution they at least one of each type I believe, so I think they'd do the same here.
Using this as a basis also, I can think of a few.
Obviously Doduo and Dodrio come to mind first to cover the flying/fighting one. Although I think we can think of more.
Personally I want ponyta to turn into a water type as discussed before, so that would cover a water type. It would be the hypocrampus or whatever poseidon's mermaid horses are.
I could see the fossil pokemon turning into rock/bug or water/bug, but with Wimpod out, it seems like water/bug would be less likely. They could also make kingler water/bug, but then that seems like it is like Wimpod.
It's be interesting if they made Kingler's line water/fighting, due to when it comes onto land it gets fought by the Crabrawler, so they gained fighting type to combat with it on land.
It'd be super interesting if they turned Clefable into a fairy/fighting type, making it a little more mean in Alola or something, idk. Or the moon power turned them aggressive due to having so much in them with Lunala around.
Golem would be cool to turn into a Bug/Ground type possibly, or same with Dugtrio. Personally not sure why those would occur besides the aggressive grass types that are apparently in alola. Maybe they turned bug to help better detect the scent of bug pokemon or something. I could see how they could try and make a possible design out of it though. I like the other ideas better.
Also Fire/Flying has been said for the ponyta line, which would be awesome also. Koffing could take on a pure flying type and be purified, so that could work too to cover for the flying type.

That's all the ideas I can think of for the last typings. I really do hope they cover every type.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Lickitung is less likely due to evolving into Lickilicky, a Pokémon that was introduced in Generation IV. That is, if Alolan Forms are only for Kanto-exclusive. I can see Weezing and Arbok getting one, though.

Actually, I've been thinking that it would be interesting to have a pokemon whose Alolan form prevents them from evolving.

For example, a Fire-type Onix that can't become a Steelix due its inability to utilize the Metal Coat. Of course, this would mean an Alolan Onix would have much higher stats than a regular Onix, to compensate for its lack of evolution.

.Aerodactyl.

So I took a list from inconspicuousarus and I want to talk about it:

Arbok Line-Maybe (Neither Seen)
Nidoran Lines-Maybe (None Seen)
Clefable Line-Maybe (Clefairy seen, not Clefable)
Vileplume Line-Probably Not (No for Oddish, Gloom or Bellosom due to Cross Gen Evo, maybe for Vileplume)
Venomoth Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Dugtrio Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Victreebel Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Tentacruel Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Golem Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Rapidash Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Farfetch’d Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Dodrio Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Dewgong Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Kingler Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Electrode Line-Probably Not (Seen as an accessory)
Hitmon Line-Maybe (For Chan/Lee, not Tyrogue or Top)
Weezing Line-Maybe (Not Seen)
Mr. Mime Line-Maybe (Not Seen, would be Mr. Mime Only)
Jynx Line-Maybe (Not Seen, would be Jynx Only)
Omanyte Line-Probably Not (Not Seen, Doubtful due to Fossil Status)
Kabutops Line-Probably Not (Not Seen, Doubtful due to Fossil Status)

I took out the muk line since we know about it now also.

We need a bug type, a fighting type, a flying type, ground type, rock type, and water type for the alolan pokemon to be finished off using all the types. With mega evolution they at least one of each type I believe, so I think they'd do the same here.
Using this as a basis also, I can think of a few.
Obviously Doduo and Dodrio come to mind first to cover the flying/fighting one. Although I think we can think of more.
Personally I want ponyta to turn into a water type as discussed before, so that would cover a water type. It would be the hypocrampus or whatever poseidon's mermaid horses are.
I could see the fossil pokemon turning into rock/bug or water/bug, but with Wimpod out, it seems like water/bug would be less likely. They could also make kingler water/bug, but then that seems like it is like Wimpod.
It's be interesting if they made Kingler's line water/fighting, due to when it comes onto land it gets fought by the Crabrawler, so they gained fighting type to combat with it on land.
It'd be super interesting if they turned Clefable into a fairy/fighting type, making it a little more mean in Alola or something, idk. Or the moon power turned them aggressive due to having so much in them with Lunala around.
Golem would be cool to turn into a Bug/Ground type possibly, or same with Dugtrio. Personally not sure why those would occur besides the aggressive grass types that are apparently in alola. Maybe they turned bug to help better detect the scent of bug pokemon or something. I could see how they could try and make a possible design out of it though. I like the other ideas better.
Also Fire/Flying has been said for the ponyta line, which would be awesome also. Koffing could take on a pure flying type and be purified, so that could work too to cover for the flying type.

That's all the ideas I can think of for the last typings. I really do hope they cover every type.
I'm honestly hoping for a few more complete type changes. I like the water ponyta, the fighting/flying Dodrio (but could also see it becoming just pure fighting and being considered too "bulky" to fly. It's not like it had wings anyway. Gosh, maybe two of its head's beaks become more rounded and fist like XD).

I think the bug types are the most likely to keep their typing and gain an additional...could see a bug/psychic venomoth. Could also see a a poison/psychic venomoth.

The ester lines are also more likely to keep their water typing in my opinion...I could see water/electric Tentacruel (I honestly think they NEED to do this. We have seen so many Tentacruel, give us something different! It's a shame they didn't do it for Zubat.)

I could honestly see Kingler getting a brand new typing entirely... It's legs means it isn't restricted to the water. Perhaps it can become a ground or rock type?

I really want a water/grass dewgong line please :)

Plus, there was that one review that hinted at other gens getting alolan forms... That blows the door wide open if that's the case.

Julia Artemis

I thought they showed Dodrio already so I was thinking it won't get an Alolan form, plus it's already good enough, it's one of the best normal/flying Pokemon

But if they do any G/S Alolan forms I want Ledian, Dunsparce, and Noctowl

Last edited:

R_N

http://shelgon.tumblr.com/post/151734111644/pokémon-sun-and-moon-previews-details-gamespot
I'd like to point to this post in particular:
@POCKETGAMER SAYS “MONSTERS YOU REMEMBER FROM RED OR GOLD OR RUBY HAVE BEEN REINVENTED TO SUIT THE ALOLAN ENVIRONMENT.”
>GOLD/RUBY
Perhaps there are non-kanto Alolan mons.....

Considering how strict they were about what they could/could not talk about, I still think this is just talking about kanto pokemon.

Kanto pokemon show up in all three of those games and I know I've seen multiple people confuse when what pokemon was introduced when.

XXD17

Draco rex
http://shelgon.tumblr.com/post/151734111644/pokémon-sun-and-moon-previews-details-gamespot
I'd like to point to this post in particular:
@POCKETGAMER SAYS “MONSTERS YOU REMEMBER FROM RED OR GOLD OR RUBY HAVE BEEN REINVENTED TO SUIT THE ALOLAN ENVIRONMENT.”
>GOLD/RUBY
Perhaps there are non-kanto Alolan mons.....

Just to play Devil's advocate, kanto Pokémon are found in all those games...perfect example being vulpix...or sandshrew...you get the idea...now if they said B/W, that would be a pretty solid confirmation.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Just to play Devil's advocate, kanto Pokémon are found in all those games...perfect example being vulpix...or sandshrew...you get the idea...now if they said B/W, that would be a pretty solid confirmation.

I wonder if it might hint at what kanto pokemon could be given variants though.
Were all of kanto pokemon available in the wild in second and third gens? I doubt it'smuch to go off of but its something lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.