• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakuraba

People really rather see something not move at all than to see something move unexpectedly huh...

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I guess I should just say that I prefer normal Dugtrio over Alolan Dugtrio and I want to bring a normal dugtrio over to my SM game just so it can wreck these Alolan Dugtrio that people are thinking are either ground/rock or ground/fire... :p I'll have fun with that. Y'know maybe I'll warm up to it... I've never actually disliked a pokemon like I do this one even with an explanation, and I usually like pokemon that are disliked.. but the blond wigs don't do anything for me I guess..

Cool designs with bad explanation (Raichu) >>>> bad designs with good explanation (Dugtrio) IMO.

People really rather see something not move at all than to see something move unexpectedly huh...

this thread is gonna turn into people arguing about pretty much exactly this

IMHO i don't think theres a reason to complain over people not liking the forms. at the same time, not every pokemon will be/look good

knightwolf09

You know, is it just me or do designs seem to be a lot more divisive among people this gen?

Last edited:

Sakuraba

this thread is gonna turn into people arguing about pretty much exactly this

IMHO i don't think theres a reason to complain over people not liking the forms. at the same time, not every pokemon will be/look good

If you don't like it, you don't like it. But it's anything but lazy.

You know, is it just me or do designs seem to be a lot more devisive among people this gen?

Probably just you. Mega Evolution for XY was very controversial too.
Stuff like this tends to quiet down after a while. Mega Evolution grew on some people, and some other people just got tired venting.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
You know, is it just me or do designs seem to be a lot more devisive among people this gen?

I think so, but it's probably because of the influx of people coming to these games.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
You know, is it just me or do designs seem to be a lot more divisive among people this gen?

It's honestly hard to say right now as usually the initial reactions are the most vocal, so we won't know for certain if it's the most divisive until after the dust settles.

I will say some of the designs have gotten a lot more initial vitriol compared to others, but it could improve.

I just realized there is a high probability Alolan Sandshrew and Vulpix are version exclusives. I haven't been able to decide between the two versions but I will definitely get the one with Vulpix in it if that's the case.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
It's because they're new and people aren't used to them yet. I've followed every major new release since D/P. I remember people initially thought Dialga and Palkia were overdesigned and look like Digimon. People are always initially divisive.

Orphalesion

My point was that they are supposed to be reimaginings of them in a way that seems natural. I think your expectations hinged towards changes like Delta forms which were radical changes that makes them look cooler and look like a completely different pokemon, but that isn't Gamefreak intention. So it's not a matter of "could've done better" they did what they intended to do and did terrifically.

Please do not presume to assume what I expected. And what the heck are delta forms?

I was on board with Ninetales and Sandshrew, species naturally adapting to a new environment and Exeggutor, a plant growing better in its native environment. (and please tell me how A. Exeggutor, Ninetales and Sandshrew look like "completely different pokemon?)

I'm just not down with Dugtrio with Farrah Fawcett wigs (nothing natural about that, and I don't care if it's supposed to be Pele's hair or something, it looks like store-bought wigs) or just changing Meowth's color palette to purple.

And besides that, what's wrong with wanting the characters ina computer game to look interesting or "cool", a big part of pokemon basically lives off that.

It's because they're new and people aren't used to them yet. I've followed every major new release since D/P. I remember people initially thought Dialga and Palkia were overdesigned and look like Digimon. People are always initially divisive.

IDK I wasn't around during D/P but loved the Unova pokemon from day 1, same with the Kalos pokemon and I love the Alola Pokemon as well, they gave me a Toucan, after all! I just wish people would accept that not everybody will universally love everything GF puts out and that not everybody will go ga-ga over three heads wearing wigs and a purple cat with bedroom eyes.

Last edited:

knightwolf09

Please do not presume to assume what I expected. And what the heck are delta forms?

I was on board with Ninetales and Sandshrew, species naturally adapting to a new environment and Exeggutor, a plant growing better in its native environment. (and please tell me how A. Exeggutor, Ninetales and Sandshrew look like "completely different pokemon?)

I'm just not down with Dugtrio with Farrah Fawcett wigs (nothing natural about that, and I don't care if it's supposed to be Pele's hair or something, it looks like store-bought wigs) or just changing Meowth's color palette to purple.

And besides that, what's wrong with wanting the characters ina computer game to look interesting or "cool", a big part of pokemon basically lives off that.

IDK I wasn't around during D/P but loved the Unova pokemon from day 1, same with the Kalos pokemon and I love the Alola Pokemon as well, they gave me a Toucan, after all! I just wish people would accept that not everybody will universally love everything GF puts out and that not everybody will go ga-ga over three heads wearing wigs and a purple cat with bedroom eyes.

Delta forms were basically what Alola forms are. They were in a pokemon fan game a long time ago. Basically different forms of past pokemon with new look and typings.

Plus Dugtrio is surprisingly natural despite it's looks.

Nothing is wrong with wanting cool or interesting stuff, but when you want every pokemon to turn out that way, you're bound to end up disappointed at some point. Many past gens prove this.

Delta forms were basically what Alola forms are. They were in a pokemon fan game a long time ago. Basically different forms of past pokemon with new look and typings.

Idk about fan games, but i know delta species were in the pokemon trading card game (are still?)
and it's just the pokemon (say, fearow) with different typings (such as electric)

Plus Dugtrio is surprisingly natural despite it's looks.

Nothing is wrong with wanting cool or interesting stuff, but when you want every pokemon to turn out that way, you're bound to end up disappointed at some point. Many past gens prove this.

I would just like to correct you on Delta species. They were officially in the TCG long before their inclusion in any fan game.
As for Dugtrio having a decent concept but looking dumb I think that was kind of the point Orphalesion was making. Same reason many people dislike Vanilluxe for looking so much like ice cream, despite not actually being one.

Last edited:

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

Dialga/Palkia really aren't the best examples considering most polls still put them as among the least popular cover legendaries, with Palkia in particular usually placing the worst of the bunch.

It is true though that initial reactions tend to be the most negative, though whether they shake that off or it maintains depends on the Pokémon and the design it has.

BlitzGirl41

Dialga/Palkia really aren't the best examples considering most polls still put them as among the least popular cover legendaries, with Palkia in particular usually placing the worst of the bunch.

It is true though that initial reactions tend to be the most negative, though whether they shake that off or it maintains depends on the Pokémon and the design it has.

And then there are people like me where the initial reaction remains the constant opinion of a Pokemon for all time. If I don't like it at first glance, there is a good reason that I don't like it, and nothing can make me warm up to it. For me, it is not "initial reaction" hysteria. It's a genuine like or dislike towards a specific design, and not based on a fear of change or bandwagon hatred.

The Pokemon from Gen 1 I never was into? Still not into them. But I always get very excited when a new design (new Pokemon, not Alolan form) comes along that I fall in love with at first sight. And for now, Rowlett is great, but Dartrix is meh. And since I am not going to look at the datamined theft of info, I am just going to have to hope I end up liking Rowlett3. Because I have a very strong dislike for the designs of the other two starters, no question about it.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
... Yeah, not really a big fan of Alolan Persian. Being honest, I really wasn't a fan of Alola Meowth either.

Gizmoa

I'm starting to warm towards Alolan Persian, but at the same time not sure I'll use it

The image we have is a weird angle too, and it doesn't really match the revealed box art, so I think like a lot of modern pokemon, how they look in game, fully animated will make a big difference... but nothing can help that one other alolan form that leaked.

What I like about the Alolan forms is that it isn't so much about "Kanto bias" as it is more of showing players that the Kanto family is still "relevant" and can still fit into the new generation.

2 decades later, there has been a lot of power creep and power seep, and its the Kanto family that IMO has suffered the most from it. Look at Golem. In Kanto it was one of the go to Pokemon if you wanted a solid mineral based defensive wall/tank (just keep it away from water and grass). Rhydon was the other. Then came Johto and Skarmory, Steelix, and Forretress became the new "standards". Hoenn introduced Claydol, Aggron, Metagross, and the Regis into the mix. Then Sinnoh brought us Bronzong, Probopass, and Bastiodon. Rhydon also got an evolution into Rhyperior. Unova gave us Ferrothorn, and made Rhydon better with eviolite. Kalos gave us Klefki and Carbink, and made Aggron even better with a Mega. Then a blast to a parallel universe Hoenn boosted Steelix as well.

Now...with all of these options on the table for you, from a competitive standpoint, why would you want to pick Golem (outside of specific reasons like the "Kanto classic", or a mono team, or just trying to be different, or you really like the Golem line)? What can Golem offer that any of these other Pokemon can't?

Now...based on what has been released officially at the time of this post, the Geodude family doesn't have an Alolan form. Wouldn't this be a good opportunity to dust it off and give old players a reason to use it again? And introduce new players to a blast from the past?

Raichu is in a similar boat. During Gen 1, it had to compete with Jolteon and Zapdos for a spot on the team, and the only thing that made it worthwhile (from a competitive aspect) was Surf (if you could get it). Then came Gen 2, and not only did Raikou and Ampharos enter the mix, but Raichu's own pre-vo Pikachu thanks to the light ball. Gen 3 brought us Manectric, then Gen 4 gave us Electivire. Gen 5 was the introduction to Galvantula and Thundurus, while Gen 6 gave us Helioptile, Mega Ampharos, and Mega Manectric. What incentive was there to play with Raichu now? It was obvious that even Gamefreak realized what had happened, since Raichu got a +10 to its speed in X and Y. That helped a lot (outspeeding stuff such as Salamence and Garchomp is no joke), and perhaps that is why Raichu was one of the Kanto mon's selected for an Alolan form (and given a secondary typing of psychic). The older something is, the less likely someone is to use it unless it really stands out.

Now granted, I don't feel that the Alolan forms picked were strictly for competitive purposes. But I do feel that it was part of it, similar to how the Mega's were picked last gen. A combination of popularity along with ease of use. We don't have an Alolan Arcanine, but do we really need one? Arcanine is pretty solid already! Good stats (nothing below 80), good abilities, and a good movepool on both sides (how many Pokemon get Extremespeed again?). Meanwhile, all Ninetales really had going for it was the ability to summon the sun. And then Charizard Y came and took that niche as well.

I will argue however, that I feel it was a waste that Arbok didn't get an Alolan form. Not because it was the counterpart of Sandslash, but because of its dex entry. Its already been confirmed in the various games and multiple dexes that Arbok has different facial patterns based on where it is obtained. With all the talk of Alolan forms, this would have been the perfect opportunity to showcase Arbok (and also polish off an old mon).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.