• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salamandit

Oh, look persians face makes sense, and dugtrio is based on a volcano.

WHATEVER, things that make sense don't have to be cool changes.

I hate his persian

Sandslash and Ninetales got these beautiful designs and persian got the commical side, while it is a vain and special pokemon that could turn into a cool black panther.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Nothing is wrong with wanting cool or interesting stuff, but when you want every pokemon to turn out that way, you're bound to end up disappointed at some point. Many past gens prove this.
That's the point a lot of people don't get. There are over 700 pokémon and they are not all meant to the same kind of people. Some target people who like cute things (using Alola Forms as examples, we have Vulpix, Shandshrew and Raichu), some target people who like cool/edgy things (Sandslash, Marowak), some target people who like grotesque things (Muk) or even people who like thing that simply look straight up silly (and that's where A!Dugtrio goes).

Just because something doesn't please your personal taste it doesn't mean it is bad, it may just mean you are not part of those who were being targeted by that specific design. I usually dislike "overly cool/edgy" designs, so I cringe whenever I look at things like Mega Charizard X, Lucario or Silvally, but that doesn't mean they are bad designs, it just means their appeal is not with people like me*.
On the other hand, A!Dugtrio is easily my favorite alola form because of how unapologetically stupid it looks - it is completely wrong in ALL the right ways.

* Hydreigon is an exception. Even if I try to look at it with the eyes of an edgy fan I find it terrible. That thing is inexcusable.**

** I'm half-joking.
Half.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Alolan Meowth was actually cool..... but how do you go from that to becoming Garfield? Alolan Persian looks stupid and I'm severely disappointed cause that line is one of my favorites

DJStarstryker

Here's my opinion on the Alola forms. I'm still pretty new to Serebii so I don't have a feel for the average age of the users of this site. But I'm in my early 30's. As you can probably guess, Gen 1 with Pokemon Blue was my very first Pokemon game when it was released in 1998. I do have nostalgia for the original 151.

That being said, I don't place priority over the original 151. I don't consider myself a "genwunner." I think Pokemon is mostly improving in every single iteration. My favorite Pokemon game right now is Platinum, but only because the last time I played was Gen 4. I have the feeling that Sun/Moon may end up becoming my favorite over Platinum.

I LOVE the Alola forms. I suppose part of the reason they're bothering is nostalgia pandering on Game Freak's part. But I really saw them the same way as mapachatumbili even when they started introducing them. It give Game Freak the option to tweak the old Pokemon to make them possibly more interesting to people again. We'll likely be over 800 Pokemon in the National Dex with Sun/Moon, and you can only have 6 Pokemon in your team. With newer and possibly more powerful Pokemon out there, why should people use one of the original 151? Now they might be inspired to, even if they just choose to use regular Persian instead of Alola Persian. But it can also make these Pokemon be pretty different from their original incarnations. I mean, look at Vulpix. It was a fire fox! Now it's a snow fox! Even people who used Vulpix in their team before will get to think up new ways to use it.

I think it's only a good thing to have Alola Forms. It just gives us more options. It's *almost* like having more Pokemon.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
Alolan Persian kind of reminds me of that "[heavy breathing]" meme, with the chubby cat. I think it's kind of cute, but to each their own

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Oh, look persians face makes sense, and dugtrio is based on a volcano.

WHATEVER, things that make sense don't have to be cool changes.

I hate his persian,

Sandslash and Ninetales got these beautiful designs and persian got the commical side, while it is a vain and special pokemon that could turn into a cool black panther.
The lore behind Alolan Meowth involves selective breeding by the Royal Family. Having a cat that evolved through selective breeding evolve into a panther would not have made sense, since it would abandon the whole selective breeding concept. It would be fanservice.

Ver-mont

The lore behind Alolan Meowth involves selective breeding by the Royal Family. Having a cat that evolved through selective breeding evolve into a panther would not have made sense, since it would abandon the whole selective breeding concept. It would be fanservice.

That never stopped them before.

Tell me Charizard becoming a black dragon who breathes blue fire isn't the epitome of that.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Except Charizard is one of the most popular and iconic Pokemon out there. Persian is not. Makes more sense to give the popular Pokemon more fanservice-y designs.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
That never stopped them before.

Tell me Charizard becoming a black dragon who breathes blue fire isn't the epitome of that.
But in Charizard's case of fanservice at least it still makes a fair amount of sense in the end.

Ver-mont

Except Charizard is one of the most popular and iconic Pokemon out there. Persian is not. Makes more sense to give the popular Pokemon more fanservice-y designs.

I don't disagree, I'm just pointing out "it would be fanservice" never stopped them before.

The whole concepts of Megas and regional variants are, to some extent, fanservice own their own.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
... Not gonna lie, Alola Persian is actually kind of growing on me. It's not really team worthy for me, but I like it a bit more.

knightwolf09

... Not gonna lie, Alola Persian is actually kind of growing on me. It's not really team worthy for me, but I like it a bit more.

It's funny. Something about it's face makes me like it too. Kinda cute-ish in a way.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
That's the point a lot of people don't get. There are over 700 pokémon and they are not all meant to the same kind of people. Some target people who like cute things (using Alola Forms as examples, we have Vulpix, Shandshrew and Raichu), some target people who like cool/edgy things (Sandslash, Marowak), some target people who like grotesque things (Muk) or even people who like thing that simply look straight up silly (and that's where A!Dugtrio goes).

Just because something doesn't please your personal taste it doesn't mean it is bad, it may just mean you are not part of those who were being targeted by that specific design. I usually dislike "overly cool/edgy" designs, so I cringe whenever I look at things like Mega Charizard X, Lucario or Silvally, but that doesn't mean they are bad designs, it just means their appeal is not with people like me*.
On the other hand, A!Dugtrio is easily my favorite alola form because of how unapologetically stupid it looks - it is completely wrong in ALL the right ways.

* Hydreigon is an exception. Even if I try to look at it with the eyes of an edgy fan I find it terrible. That thing is inexcusable.**

** I'm half-joking.
Half.

I never got the argument of "people just don't like it because it's a silly design and not edgy/cool/whatever', Alolan Exeggutor is probably one of the most popular Alolan form designs, and it's honestly not that much less silly then Persian or Dugtrio. By comparison, Alolan Marowak gets more criticism for being seen as a bit bland despite probably being closer to what one would perceive to be 'cool'. On a similar note, while not 'silly', Midday Lycanroc is more popular then its counterpart, despite not being as 'edgy' or 'cool' as the latter.

The reason why people dislike those designs isn't an inherent backlash against a design direction, it's more then likely a backlash against the designs themselves. Alolan Persian does have flaws, its head being disproportionate from its body can be offputting to many. Same with Alolan Dugtrio just having a wig thrown on, it may make sense conceptually, but that doesn't mean it's going to be liked. Both have issues outside of being inherently 'silly', and those issues can lead to fans not liking them, and that's perfectly fine.

*And I honestly don't see Hydreigon as all that edgy, it's honestly one of the most affectionate Pokémon in Pokémon-amie, and the Mystery Dungeon character is one of the most laid back ones in the subseries (and one of the few things people universally like from Gates).

Last edited:
Alolan persian grew on me once I saw an "official" picture.

I still liked it before the official review, I just liked Alolan Persian's official picture more.

What I'm mostly concerned about now is how differently Alola Persian will be from Kanto Persian moveset wise and if the typing will remain pure Dark or something else will get added as well. I also want to avoid creating a set that screams Liepard.

Last edited:

Sakuraba

I.... really have no idea what's wrong with Alolan Persian. I don't have an opinion on it because I don't understand it.

I'm kinda sad that I can't name it Plagg now... it lost the smug attitude.
Or maybe I can. I'm gonna say it ate too much Camembert! That actually makes it very funny.

The way I see it, Alolan Persian is just the result of Alolan Meowth.

Both Kanto and Alola variants of Meowth and Persian tend to be full of themselves, but the Alolan variants dial it up. Kantonian Meowth are snarky and cool, which evolve into even snarkier and level headed Persians. Meanwhile, the Alolan Meowth were spoiled "rotten" (hence why they became dark types), but due to that personality, became lazy, and hence we get Alolan Persian. At least that's my theory on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.