• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheyenne Thunderstorm

Thunder Trainer
Thanks... Last night... I feel like I'm the only one like Alolan Persian when I was talking to my friend.
I figured it was a result of all the pampering that Alolan Meowth received. The way I see it, Persian has grown fat from all the lavish attention its received and constant pampering; not to mention is probably spoiled; hence the 'Dark' typing.
I think it's a little bit of both and the pun of getting to big headed of yourself

Last edited:

TyLogic

I'm telling you, it's a pun. Alolan Persian has a "big head". It's just really arrogant. If it is fat, then why is it only fat in it's head? They need to explain that.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Am I the only one that doesn't hate Alolan Persian? Yeah it's probably my least favorite of Alolan forms. However, I don't hate it.
I've warmed to it a little thanks to some of the non-joke fanart I've seen floating around, but I can't say I love it. It's head is just way too big. I'd like it more if its head was smaller or if it was chunkier or something.
Like in one fanart I saw, the artist made Alolan Persian resemble an actual Persian cat, and it looked really, really nice.

It's bad, but it's not that bad, y'know? It's still better than stuff like Alolan Raticate or Grimer.

Oni Dekopin

I'm telling you, it's a pun. Alolan Persian has a "big head". It's just really arrogant. If it is fat, then why is it only fat in it's head? They need to explain that.

To me, its hind legs look kinda fat too. Just saying.

It just has a big round head.

Sheyenne Thunderstorm

Thunder Trainer
I've warmed to it a little thanks to some of the non-joke fanart I've seen floating around, but I can't say I love it. It's head is just way too big. I'd like it more if its head was smaller or if it was chunkier or something.
Like in one fanart I saw, the artist made Alolan Persian resemble an actual Persian cat, and it looked really, really nice.

It's bad, but it's not that bad, y'know? It's still better than stuff like Alolan Raticate or Grimer.

I just asking since me and one of my friend got into it about Persian Alolan form. It feel like my opinion was wrong and I was wrong for liking it. I believe most people hate it because it isn't what they're hoping for; myself incurred. However, I didn't hate it, but it wasn't what I was hoping for.

I know people going have different opinions. But I don't think it is as bad people make it to be.

Orphalesion

I just asking since me and one of my friend got into it about Persian Alolan form. It feel like my opinion was wrong and I was wrong for liking it. I believe most people hate it because it isn't what they're hoping for; myself incurred. However, I didn't hate it, but it wasn't what I was hoping for.

I know people going have different opinions. But I don't think it is as bad people make it to be.

Everybody is free to their opinion and honestly I don't think a pokemon's appearance is something that's worth arguing over. You like Alolan Persian? Good for you, you have another pokemon you like, and liking things is more fun than disliking them.

However to others, like me, it IS as bad as we make it out to be. And I must say I never even had any hopes for it. I already don't like Persian and didn't like Alolan Meowth, so Alolan Persian had little chance to appeal to me, same with Diglett and Dugtrio.

In the end Pokemon allows us all to choose what characters we want to play with.

However I am looking forward to the episode where Team Rocket's plans involve them painting Meowth purple so that he can pose for an Alolan one. That will be the first episode I'll watch in years.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay

Yeah, from what I saw, a lot of people were hoping for a panther. Which would have made no sense and wouldn't fit with the whole "selective cat breeding" lore with Alolan Meowth.

Alolan Persian may not have the best design in the world, but at least the direction they went in makes sense.

Bus

Yeah, from what I saw, a lot of people were hoping for a panther. Which would have made no sense and wouldn't fit with the whole "selective cat breeding" lore with Alolan Meowth.

Alolan Persian may not have the best design in the world, but at least the direction they went in makes sense.

As goofy as I think it looks, I may end up using it solely because it looks like a cross between Heathcliff and Fat Cat from Rescue Rangers. If not for the black stripes, he'd actually look really close to Alola Persian lol; here look!
TTR3g.jpg

Attachments

• TTR3g.jpg
    TTR3g.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 12

Orphalesion

As goofy as I think it looks, I may end up using it solely because it looks like a cross between Heathcliff and Fat Cat from Rescue Rangers. If not for the black stripes, he'd actually look really close to Alola Persian lol; here look!

Now I have finally realized what character Alolan Persian reminds me off:

romy_3577.png

It's an Indian lady from an old (I think SPanish) version of Around the World in 80 Days"

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
His face looks more like Garfield's to me.
The face is why I don't like Alolan Persian. It looks stupid

I like Alolan Persian. Not as much as Raichu, Sandslash, or Ninetales, but I do like Persian. Especially the fact that it can potentionally run a physical Technician set better then Kanto Persian, due to having the Dark Stab and coverage which IMO works better for the Alolan variant.

For example, Aerial Ace is a good coverage move for Persian, but its kinda wasted on the Kanto variant due to already having access to Play Rough. The Alolan variant however can make better use of Aerial Ace due to being weak to bug, so Aerial Ace takes care of two natural weaknesses. I let my Kanto Persian run a special set with Nasty Plot, and now I can use a physical set for Alolan Persian. I get to have my cake and eat it too. A win-win situation.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I like Alolan Persian. Not as much as Raichu, Sandslash, or Ninetales, but I do like Persian. Especially the fact that it can potentionally run a physical Technician set better then Kanto Persian, due to having the Dark Stab and coverage which IMO works better for the Alolan variant.

For example, Aerial Ace is a good coverage move for Persian, but its kinda wasted on the Kanto variant due to already having access to Play Rough. The Alolan variant however can make better use of Aerial Ace due to being weak to bug, so Aerial Ace takes care of two natural weaknesses. I let my Kanto Persian run a special set with Nasty Plot, and now I can use a physical set for Alolan Persian. I get to have my cake and eat it too. A win-win situation.

idk why but I see it being special attack oriented. Something about being spoiled and big-headed makes me think it won't be fast or have brute force.

Sheyenne Thunderstorm

Thunder Trainer

Well to be honest. Well this is my opinion. It doesn't look bad with the cartoony big head. However, I know why people hate it and want to dislike. But I don't see it no different then Dugtrio Grimer, and Muk. As well with pokemon like ball with eyes and so on.

But I just hope that isn't all of the Alolan forms

One interesting thing that I noticed about Persian which I didn't get till later is that Kanto Persian has a red gem in its forehead while Alolan Persian has a blue one.

IMO, I feel that part of the problem with Alolan Persian based on preliminary perception to the audiences is that the transition is so off. Alolan Meowth has that design that says "Look at me, I'm awesome, and I'm going to rip you apart! I know it, you know it, everyone knows it!" This is exactly what the depiction for Kanto Persian is, not just in character design, but dex entry as well. Kanto Persian is elegant and graceful, yet it hides a violent streak that will not hesitate to destroy you should you forget to "know your place".

Kanto Meowth meanwhile, while it could still do some damage, comes off IMO as more relaxed and laid back, not willing to fight unless neccesary, instead prefering to search for coins and other shiny objects. When I look at Alolan Persian, I feel like the transition here is a lot more natural. Alolan Persian looks like the final product of Kanto Meowth, while Alolan Meowth looks like it will evolve into Kanto Persian.

And its only with this family that I get this vibe.

TyLogic

One interesting thing that I noticed about Persian which I didn't get till later is that Kanto Persian has a red gem in its forehead while Alolan Persian has a blue one.

IMO, I feel that part of the problem with Alolan Persian based on preliminary perception to the audiences is that the transition is so off. Alolan Meowth has that design that says "Look at me, I'm awesome, and I'm going to rip you apart! I know it, you know it, everyone knows it!" This is exactly what the depiction for Kanto Persian is, not just in character design, but dex entry as well. Kanto Persian is elegant and graceful, yet it hides a violent streak that will not hesitate to destroy you should you forget to "know your place".

Kanto Meowth meanwhile, while it could still do some damage, comes off IMO as more relaxed and laid back, not willing to fight unless neccesary, instead prefering to search for coins and other shiny objects. When I look at Alolan Persian, I feel like the transition here is a lot more natural. Alolan Persian looks like the final product of Kanto Meowth, while Alolan Meowth looks like it will evolve into Kanto Persian.

And its only with this family that I get this vibe.

We still don't know Alolan Persian's behavior yet friend. Being a Dark-type (I assume), it could be more viscous than Kanto Persian.

True, but I meant in character design. First impressions are important, yes? When you look at Rowlet 3, you see an Archer. Take a look at Hariyama, and sumo is obvious. Machoke is a bodybuilder. Alolan Persian may indeed be more ruthless, but it doesn't look like it. When I look at Alolan Persian, I see "lazy, laid back, relaxed". I don't see the smugness that Alolan Meowth was full of that Kanto Persian has traces of. Its almost ironic.

You have to remember that Dark does not mean "evil" or "vicious", just more moves that might be considered "cheap".

TyLogic

True, but I meant in character design. First impressions are important, yes? When you look at Rowlet 3, you see an Archer. Take a look at Hariyama, and sumo is obvious. Machoke is a bodybuilder. Alolan Persian may indeed be more ruthless, but it doesn't look like it. When I look at Alolan Persian, I see "lazy, laid back, relaxed". I don't see the smugness that Alolan Meowth was full of that Kanto Persian has traces of. Its almost ironic.

You have to remember that Dark does not mean "evil" or "vicious", just more moves that might be considered "cheap".

You are correct, however, if they revealed Alolan Persian first, without revealing Alolan Meowth or giving details about Alolan Meowth, you probably wouldn't think that it was lazy and laid back. I think that impression or inference comes from it being the evolution of Alolan Meowth, who is lazy and laid back.

Also, Persian is already a viscous Pokemon, and it's not a Dark-type (Though it learns a good number of Dark-type moves), so I'm assuming that because Alolan Persian is most likely a Dark-type, it will be more viscous than it's Kanto counterpart. Mightyena is a pretty viscous Pokemon as well. Also, if I'm correct, Purrloin have been known to steal items. Stealing could classify one as "evil" or "villainous". The Dark-type meaning "Evil-type" doesn't work for all, but that just means that it does for some. Albeit, Alolan Persian could just be Dark-type in it's arrogance (If it even is arrogant).

I agree with you completely. All that I'm saying is that that might be why Alolan Persian put a lot of people off when it was revealed both leaked and officially (I wasn't one of them. I was fine with the design). Perhaps some people wanted something that looked more like Alolan Meowth, but as a Persian. I can't really say, I'm just hypothesizing. All I can say is the impression that I get when I look at them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.