• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HydroBR

I believe we'll see more Regional Variants on the next gens and remakes. Remember they're not referred to just as "Alolan formes", but also as "Regional variants".

I wouldn't be too surprised if we got, for example, A-Sandshrew and A-Vulpix in Sinnoh. I mean, they've retconned a few thing on ORAS (like Wally's Gardevoir, Megas and Primals, part of the plot, etc), so changing that wouldn't be too Farfetch'd.

Ver-mont

I believe we'll see more Regional Variants on the next gens and remakes. Remember they're not referred to just as "Alolan formes", but also as "Regional variants".

I wouldn't be too surprised if we got, for example, A-Sandshrew and A-Vulpix in Sinnoh. I mean, they've retconned a few thing on ORAS (like Wally's Gardevoir, Megas and Primals, part of the plot, etc), so changing that wouldn't be too Farfetch'd.

If we get another game this generation, I could see more of them being introduced there too.

Just like Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire introduced Mega Evolutions that didn't exist in X and Y.

It isn't weak to them, but it doesn't resist them either, it doesn't affect the type too greatly honestly, but Poison/Dark is naturally an amazing typing, it's the main reason Skuntank and Drapion are RU on the tier list, because if they were pure Poison they'd likely be NU or perhaps even PU because their stats are 'meh' and their movepools aren't much better. It has a nice immunity that cancels out the Psychic weakness, one actual weakness that can be negated by Air Balloon, and great STAB move access like Knock Off, Pursuit, Sucker Punch, Poison Jab, Gunk Shot, Sludge Bomb, etc...

What do you mean it doesn't resist them? Poison resists those types.
I do agree with you on Skuntank and Drapion because of stats, but IMO the main reason why Kanto Muk doesn't get use is because dual Poisons tend to be more useful (such as Crobat and Gengar), and because Muk has to deal with Weezing, who is even bulkier and not weak to Earthquake thanks to Levitate. Outside of special attack (which is not even a factor), Muk has some pretty good stats for a mono Poison, and all the abilities that it gets are pretty useful. But...compared to all the other many Poison types (there are a lot of Poisons in Gen 1), Muk really didn't stand out that much.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I thought about this and it makes me wonder something. What if GF is making these alolan forms to only be found in sun and moon and no other future games? That way they can continue to boost sales of sun and moon a long time after they are released by making people in the future buy these games to get these certain pokemon and then transfer them up.
The ease of trading online will make that less of a factor I would think.

And its also not like future games won't be able to include at least some Alolan forms as wild pokemon or gifts from NPCs. There could even be special reserves in future regions for exotic pokemon/regional forms.

After all, we know from Alolan Persian (i.e. the info about how people will, with difficulty, take them back to their home regions) that its not like Alolan forms never leave Alola.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
What do you mean it doesn't resist them? Poison resists those types.
I do agree with you on Skuntank and Drapion because of stats, but IMO the main reason why Kanto Muk doesn't get use is because dual Poisons tend to be more useful (such as Crobat and Gengar), and because Muk has to deal with Weezing, who is even bulkier and not weak to Earthquake thanks to Levitate. Outside of special attack (which is not even a factor), Muk has some pretty good stats for a mono Poison, and all the abilities that it gets are pretty useful. But...compared to all the other many Poison types (there are a lot of Poisons in Gen 1), Muk really didn't stand out that much.

I meant the type combination of Poison/Dark, not Poison itself.
Muk has pretty good stats for a mono poison because all the mono poison Pokemon are in NU or below. Not even kidding. Swalot, Seviper, Arbok, and Muk are PU and Garbodor and Weezing are in NU. Poison itself isn't that great of a typing statistically.

glacialcat

The ease of trading online will make that less of a factor I would think.

And its also not like future games won't be able to include at least some Alolan forms as wild pokemon or gifts from NPCs. There could even be special reserves in future regions for exotic pokemon/regional forms.

After all, we know from Alolan Persian (i.e. the info about how people will, with difficulty, take them back to their home regions) that its not like Alolan forms never leave Alola.

The easiest way I can see future games to allow catchable Alolan forms (and any other regional variations that may happen) is to put them in the Safari Zone. It seems like a perfectly sensible location to have rare Pokemon from other regions show up to me.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
The easiest way I can see future games to allow catchable Alolan forms (and any other regional variations that may happen) is to put them in the Safari Zone. It seems like a perfectly sensible location to have rare Pokemon from other regions show up to me.

Well, just because they adapted that way in Alola, doesn't mean they can't have adapted similarly in another region. Except of course forms that seem to have been suited to the region specifically like Exeggutor, Meowth, and Persian.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Well, just because they adapted that way in Alola, doesn't mean they can't have adapted similarly in another region. Except of course forms that seem to have been suited to the region specifically like Exeggutor, Meowth, and Persian.
After looking at Gaijin Goombah's video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFoxP2-5Su0 ), Alolan Marowak seems to specifically fit the region too

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
But if those Pokémon are specifically called Alola forms then it'd be a bit weird for there to be an identical form in another region.

willprogresivo

Creepy Uncle
... I have no idea on what you're trying to imply with this.

Boy, are you slow.

I'm implying that it's a ridiculous notion to want a pokemon with a certain type to become a different type in the future. Just use another pokemon with the desired typing or hope for a new pokemon with the desired typing. Why would you want a water/ghost Salandit when Salandit is a Fire/Poison? It's not a hard point to get.

glacialcat

Boy, are you slow.

I'm implying that it's a ridiculous notion to want a pokemon with a certain type to become a different type in the future. Just use another pokemon with the desired typing or hope for a new pokemon with the desired typing. Why would you want a water/ghost Salandit when Salandit is a Fire/Poison? It's not a hard point to get.

Considering a lot of people (myself included) really do want regional variants to continue, this seems about as a "ridiculous notion" as saying "Hey guys, we should go get pizza!" *snrrk* *Giggle*

At the very least it isn't any sillier than people who want to see more cross-generation evolutions. I imagine it is about as """"lazy"""" to make an evolution for an existing Pokemon as it is to make new forms with new inspirations behind them.

Last edited:

Jason3b93

I'm not a big fan of alolan forms for two reasons:

1) I feel it stole the space for new pokémon
2) I feel it stole the space of mega evolution

Also Alolan Exeggutor should be just a regular evolution of the original Exeggutor

TyLogic

At the very least it isn't any sillier than people who want to see more cross-generation evolutions. I imagine it is about as """"lazy"""" to make an evolution for an existing Pokemon as it is to make new forms with new inspirations behind them.

I kind of agree. I just feel like Alola forms take up spots for new Pokemon.
At least it's not like Mega Evolution, and the forms are permanent, so I guess I'm fine.

clbgolden12

Boy, are you slow.

Given that your post was only one line and incredibly vague I don't know how I was supposed to get that.

But anyways, it's still nice to see old Pokémon getting new stuff done to them, and, if you're a science fan, then you'd probably like the concept of (real-world) evolution incorporated into the game.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I am very curious which alola forms will prove to be superior to their kanto counterparts

In terms of their usefulness in battle, I think that Alolan Exeggutor and Alolan Raichu might be superior to their Kanto versions. I don't plan on using any Alolan pokemon myself with the possible exception of Raichu perhaps, but even that's a low possibility.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
After looking at Gaijin Goombah's video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFoxP2-5Su0 ), Alolan Marowak seems to specifically fit the region too

Alolan Marowak is based off something originating from Hawaii, yes, but it's origin of adapting doesn't sound like it adapted uniquely in Alola or can't adapt similarly in another region. It adapted differently due to predators and threats, whereas the climate/intense sun of Alola changed Exeggutor and the Meowth line was bred in a unique way by the royal family of Alola.

But if those Pokémon are specifically called Alola forms then it'd be a bit weird for there to be an identical form in another region.

Just because they're called Alolan forms doesn't mean they don't exist outside of Alola. It could simply be that they were discovered firstly in Alola.

Last edited:

glacialcat

But anyways, it's still nice to see old Pokémon getting new stuff done to them, and, if you're a science fan, then you'd probably like the concept of (real-world) evolution incorporated into the game.

Yes, this exactly is my favorite part of regional variation. And I particularly love how Meowth and Rattata reference very specific problems with Hawaii's ecosystem as a result of invasive species.

Now there are Alolan forms I like less than others, and ones I like a lot more. But the concept I think is solid and I'll be upset if it doesn't continue to be seen. I'll also be upset if we really have seen the last of new Mega Evolutions, but I'm hopeful we'll see more in the future. It irks me when they create a new concept and don't take any time to explore it before moving onto another concept.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Yes, this exactly is my favorite part of regional variation. And I particularly love how Meowth and Rattata reference very specific problems with Hawaii's ecosystem as a result of invasive species.

Now there are Alolan forms I like less than others, and ones I like a lot more. But the concept I think is solid and I'll be upset if it doesn't continue to be seen. I'll also be upset if we really have seen the last of new Mega Evolutions, but I'm hopeful we'll see more in the future. It irks me when they create a new concept and don't take any time to explore it before moving onto another concept.
The one thing I like about Alolan forms more than Mega Evolution is that all of the pokémon that got them were ones that either nobody liked or were considered useless by competitive battlers (if you follow stuff like Smogon's tiers). Mega Evolution did that too (Kangaskhan & Mawile being the best examples) but it was more focused on ones that were already powerful such as Blaziken, Lucario, Gengar, & Rayquaza

Sakuraba

I'd imagine that, if they'll keep both, they'd make at least Megas Remake-exclusives. It sucks, but I can see them doing it. REgional Variants maybe, but I can't say for sure.

clbgolden12

Just because they're called Alolan forms doesn't mean they don't exist outside of Alola. It could simply be that they were discovered firstly in Alola.
Given that they're described as Pokémon who "adapted to the Alola region", I doubt the same form adapted anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.