• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orphalesion

Well, just because they adapted that way in Alola, doesn't mean they can't have adapted similarly in another region. Except of course forms that seem to have been suited to the region specifically like Exeggutor, Meowth, and Persian.

Actually it seems A-Exeggutor would fit any tropical region, if we get another one in the future there would be nothing wrong with it featuring the gigantic thing.

Ver-mont

Actually it seems A-Exeggutor would fit any tropical region, if we get another one in the future there would be nothing wrong with it featuring the gigantic thing.

Exactly. Just as Sandshrew and Vulpix would probably take on this same appearance if they adapted to a similar environment anywhere else.

Of course they'd say "the Alola region" now, because it's specifically the one we're going to see, but I don't think that rules out these regional variants from appearing elsewhere.

lunis the ogre

Ogre of the gourd
Of all the revealed alolan pokemon, they could very well fit into to ther regions like you guys say. With the exception being meowth and persian. It was the royal bloodline in alola that bred them that way. In future games, they could have a NPC from alola trade us an a-meowth for something exclusive to that region.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Exactly. Just as Sandshrew and Vulpix would probably take on this same appearance if they adapted to a similar environment anywhere else.

Of course they'd say "the Alola region" now, because it's specifically the one we're going to see, but I don't think that rules out these regional variants from appearing elsewhere.
Exeggutor certainly but for the Vulpix and Sandshrew situation to occur you'd have to also have them be unable to simply move to their preferred habitats. That is because they were on islands they ended up having to live in the icy mountains because there was literally nowhere else available with space for them due to competition from other pokemon. In any non-island region Sandshrew, for instance, could simply keep traveling until they found a desert.

Ver-mont

Exeggutor certainly but for the Vulpix and Sandshrew situation to occur you'd have to also have them be unable to simply move to their preferred habitats. That is because they were on islands they ended up having to live in the icy mountains because there was literally nowhere else available with space for them due to competition from other pokemon. In any non-island region Sandshrew, for instance, could simply keep traveling until they found a desert.

That could be easily arranged; it's not very different from this situation, as Ula'ula isn't entirely comprised of icy mountains. It's not the only habitat they could live in. I could see something similar happening in other regions, either because their preferred habitat isn't readily available or because there's too much competition.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

Exactly right. It is mentioned as far back as Gen 1 that Exeggutor is originally from tropical rainforests, something we didn't see in a main seires game up until now. In other words, the form of Exeggutor we've seen thus ar is actually the altered form that resulted from it having been taken away from its natural habitat, and, just like the site says, this long-necked and lovable tower of derp is the true form of Exeggutor.

Arcamenel

Shiny Hunter
I'd like to see more regional variants in later games but do want alolan ones to just stay in alola. It makes it feel unique in that sense. I kind of wish Mega Evolution had stayed in Pokemon X and Y. I like every region having their own "thing" if you know what I mean.

Ver-mont

I'd like to see more regional variants in later games but do want alolan ones to just stay in alola. It makes it feel unique in that sense. I kind of wish Mega Evolution had stayed in Pokemon X and Y. I like every region having their own "thing" if you know what I mean.

That could be interesting in an in-universe kind of way, but gameplay-wise it would be such a waste.

Orphalesion

That could be interesting in an in-universe kind of way, but gameplay-wise it would be such a waste.

Even in universe it wouldn't make that much sense. Evolution (as in the very slow process Darwin talked about) occurs everywhere, not just on islands.

Inoshi

Pokemon Lover
Does anyway expect there will be new alola forms in pokemon eclipse or whatever name they give the third version (implying we get one) just like we got new megas in ORAS?

glacialcat

Does anyway expect there will be new alola forms in pokemon eclipse or whatever name they give the third version (implying we get one) just like we got new megas in ORAS?

If we get a third game set in Alola, I feel like it would be kind of unlikely. These Pokemon are supposed to be Alolan-natives (by now, obviously they were introduced a long time ago), they should've been there from the beginning. If our next G7 game is a remake of a G4 (or another G1 remake... since technically FR/LG are older than D/P) I can definitely see more regional variants showing up. And while they probably should've "been there from the beginning," a retcon for these much older games makes more sense to me. Especially since multiverse nonsense is going on with the storyline right now.

Last edited:

Anthea

I don't know how anyone can hate regional variants

It basically opens up the possibility of over 1500 new Pokemon forms

willprogresivo

Creepy Uncle
I don't know how anyone can hate regional variants

It basically opens up the possibility of over 1500 new Pokemon forms

I rather have 1500 original pokemon than 750 with a separate version each. If you ask someone how many pokemon there are, the answer still is almost 800. But in reality, there are almost 900 because GF's obssesed with forms/keeping that number low. I cannot understand why.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I rather have 1500 original pokemon than 750 with a separate version each. If you ask someone how many pokemon there are, the answer still is almost 800. But in reality, there are almost 900 because GF's obssesed with forms/keeping that number low. I cannot understand why.

what I like is that since they're making new pokemon with variants (oricorio, wormadam (not new new but newer than first few gens), meowstic, etc) they can also give the treatment to older pokemon, like they could have if they were new pokemon to begin with. No one has really complained about gastrodon having two forms or anything so if vulpix had come out with two forms in the beginning, people might have been more accepting as a whole. Just a thought though

Anthea

Come on, let's be real. Not every Pokemon is popular and not every Pokemon is a successful idea, we would all be happier if the popular Pokemon were given alt forms as opposed to more grubbish, vanillite, stunfisk and only one volcarona.

Orphalesion

Come on, let's be real. Not every Pokemon is popular and not every Pokemon is a successful idea, we would all be happier if the popular Pokemon were given alt forms as opposed to more grubbish, vanillite, stunfisk and only one volcarona.

Nope

I like the idea of regional forms. But I'd rather take Trubbish over an alt form of Pikachu or Lucario or some bollox. In fact I'd rather take Trubbish over Pikachu and Lucario to begin with.

Actually what I like about Alola forms is how they are given to some Pokemon that are less popular or have become overshadowed in recent gens, like Ninetales and Exeggutor.

Also please don't presume to know what would make "everyone" happier. And every Pokemon is someones favorite. I do know of at least one person who LOVES Garbodor.

Last edited:

willprogresivo

Creepy Uncle

I wouldn't. I love certain pokemon precisely because of their design/typing/stats/usage and I have zero intesrest in them being changed. I must be the only one...

HydroBR

I'm not a big fan of alolan forms for two reasons:

1) I feel it stole the space for new pokémon
2) I feel it stole the space of mega evolution

Also Alolan Exeggutor should be just a regular evolution of the original Exeggutor

I respect your opinions, but I really can't understand it.

They're formes because they're basically the same especies. Making them evolutions or new Pokémons would be the lazy option, easily filling the Dex without much effort, but GF did not choose that way.

Instead of making only ~80 new Pokémons because they wanted to save Dex space and calling it a gen, they decided to make the same ~80, plus a dozen new formes for new Pokémon. (the numbers are just examples)
IMHO, very clever move, one of the best GF ever made, actually.

They can't steal the place of new Pokémons exactly because of that. Megas are a completely different thing, so there's no point in the comparison.

Also, a lot of people are obsessed with this "unique Pokémons" thing, but forget that Alolan/Regional variants are more creative than some "original Pokémons".
I have used this example a few times, but again: there's more creativity between Ninetales and A-Ninetales than in Volbeat/Illumise. I'd rather have Sandslash and A-Sandslash than having another Plusle/Minun. Also, A-Marowak is way more distinct from regular Marowak than Manaphy/Phione are from each other.

PS.: IMHO, Variants are WAY better than Megas. One can build a full Alolan formes team. Try doing that with Megas.
Also, people say that some variants had lazy/bad designs. I agree with that. But a lot of Megas did the same, were just "spiked" versions of the original Pokémons.

Last edited:

glacialcat

I wouldn't. I love certain pokemon precisely because of their design/typing/stats/usage and I have zero intesrest in them being changed. I must be the only one...

Well obviously people love certain Pokemon because of all those things you listed, and don't want them changed. But... Alolan forms aren't replacements. They're alternatives. I like regular Raichu a lot more than Alolan Raichu, but Alolan Raichu doesn't replace Raichu. Might it replace it competitively? Sure, I guess. But not any more so than another Electric/Psychic type with a completely different design could have.

If they released a regional variant of my absolute favorite Pokemon, Umbreon, and made it some Fighting/Normal with Levitate weird thing that I could never wrap my head around, I'd be disappointed that I didn't like the new design better but I wouldn't be upset. This new Umbreon has not removed my old Umbreon. It's still there. It hasn't been changed.

If regional variations were replacing old Pokemon, I'd absolutely agree with you. But they're not replacing, they're just new additions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.