• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Regional Variants/Alolan Forms Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

glacialcat

I can buy that. Works for full Alolan lines too. Kinda sucks that we can't have regular Pokémons without transferring though.

I would honestly bet money there will be at least one NPC that will offer to trade their Regular Form Pokemon for the native Alolan version. "Hi! I just moved here from Johto. Would you like to trade your Alolan Meowth for my Meowth?"

Maybe only in post-game though.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I can buy that. Works for full Alolan lines too. Kinda sucks that we can't have regular Pokémons without transferring though.

That's why I think SuMo would actually benefit from a Safari Zone. Safari Zones (and Friend Safaris and the Great Marsh) are all about importing exotic Mons you normally wouldn't find in the Region, so having one that becomes accessible post-game that contains some (if not all) of the non-Alolan variants of Alola Form Mons would work out pretty well if you ask me.

Anthea

At the end of the day, pro alola forms want new Pokemon AND refreshed Pokemon due to it being a new fun concept. Meanwhile anti alola forms want new Pokemon plain and simple, the same boring method that has been used for the past 20 years I.e. An unoriginal tiring tradition that actually makes people lose interest in the games.

In conclusion, pro alola forms win the argument due to them not only being fair/open minded, but also due to helping the franchise GROW in new and invigorating ways that will keep it alive whilst also bringing in new fans.

glacialcat

At the end of the day, pro alola forms want new Pokemon AND refreshed Pokemon due to it being a new fun concept. Meanwhile anti alola forms want new Pokemon plain and simple, the same boring method that has been used for the past 20 years I.e. An unoriginal tiring tradition that actually makes people lose interest in the games.

In conclusion, pro alola forms win the argument due to them not only being fair/open minded, but also due to helping the franchise GROW in new and invigorating ways that will keep it alive whilst also bringing in new fans.

I am also Pro-Regional Variation, but wow, way to strawman the opposing side's argument while setting your side up to be the victor by default.

In conclusion, Pro-Alola form loses the argument due to not wanting to see the game evolve beyond the original 151, wishing for the stagnation of the franchise as people start to see each generation will be nothing more than palette swaps of previous Pokemon. Meanwhile Anti-Alolan form people win because they recognize that the only way to help the franchise grow is new innovation and new Pokemon, not simply rehashing what we've already seen.

Just as easy to strawman our side as it is to strawman their side.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
It's Kanto nostalgia, people. These are Gen1 pokemon. Anyone alive in 1999 remembers them even if they aren't the popular ones.

You mean 1996? Of course it's nostalgia, Gamefreak basically came out and said they did this for the 20th anniversary and seeing as Pokemon started with Gen 1 Pokemon, it was a great idea to revisit some of those older Pokemon and give them something special.

I mean seriously, this is a great way to celebrate 20 years rather than re-releasing the gen 1 games on VC.

Phantump237

We had the same thing with pokemon that were unavailable in XY before ORAS. You had to transfer the pokemon from gen 5 and breed them.

I guess that next set of games in gen 7 will give us their regular forms.

Anthea

I am also Pro-Regional Variation, but wow, way to strawman the opposing side's argument while setting your side up to be the victor by default.

In conclusion, Pro-Alola form loses the argument due to not wanting to see the game evolve beyond the original 151, wishing for the stagnation of the franchise as people start to see each generation will be nothing more than palette swaps of previous Pokemon. Meanwhile Anti-Alolan form people win because they recognize that the only way to help the franchise grow is new innovation and new Pokemon, not simply rehashing what we've already seen.

Just as easy to strawman our side as it is to strawman their side.

Uh you are being hostile af. I said no lies. You are acting like alolan formes replaced alolan Pokemon, WHICH THEY DIDNT. ALOLAN POKEMON STILL EXIST, BESIDES ALOLAN FORMES. Stop being aggressive for no reason. Also, we didn't have regional variants in the past 20 years, it is a NEW CONCEPT, new concepts are needed in ALL AGE OLD FRANCHISES. Zelda and chibi windwaker, final fantasy and new battle systems etc

Last edited:

glacialcat

Uh you are being hostile af. I said no lies. You are acting like alolan formes replaced alolan Pokemon, WHICH THEY DIDNT. ALOLAN POKEMON STILL EXIST, BESIDES ALOLAN FORMES. Stop being aggressive for no reason. Also, we didn't have regional variants in the past 20 years, it is a NEW CONCEPT, new concepts are needed in ALL AGE OLD FRANCHISES. Zelda and chibi windwaker, final fantasy and new battle systems, etc etc. Ugh

I literally said I agreed with you, "our side" is what I said. I am on your side. I am saying your strawman arguments will win no converts, and attempted to show how someone could equally misrepresent our shared side. I just want to point out that this form of argument is ineffective and misleading.

Again. I literally said I agree with you, in the very message you are quoting. I like Alolan forms and I wish regional variation to continue. Plus if you check the previous page I already made that exact argument, that Alolan formes have not replaced other formes.

Last edited:

Luthor

So do you guys think Alolan Raichu will keep the same hidden ability as regular Raichu or gain something entirely different? or not gain a hidden ability at all?

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
So do you guys think Alolan Raichu will keep the same hidden ability as regular Raichu or gain something entirely different? or not gain a hidden ability at all?
I hope it gets Levitate as its HA, but I could see it just keeping Lightning Rod.

TyLogic

Alolan Meowth and Alolan Persian are growing on me. I think I might use it.
Alolan Sandshrew seems cool too, however, its typing makes me nervous.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I like to see levitate as well. After all, it is floating around on its tail.

Levitate seems logical, but then again, we have the Magnemite line that floats...yet does not have Levitate. I hope Alolan Raichu gets it though. I'd be much more inclined to use it, if that were the case.

Orphalesion

Lol you just proved me right

You prefer trubbish over pikachu or lucario. Several fans with this mindset would omit the Pokemon they don't prefer for alternate forms of the favoured mons. If garbodor didn't exist, then said fans would have a different favourite. It is simply more economical and beneficial to use a a lot of variants.

Uhm no..? I would not exchange Pikachu or Lucario for another version of my favorites, and neither would my mate who loves Garbodor (Okay you probably misinterpreted when I said, I'd take Trubbish over Pikachu, what I meant with that was I'd rather put Trubbish on my team than those two other pokemon). Again you are presuming about what everyone else thinks Also why are we going into abstract thought experiments where Garbodor doesn't exist? That's about as relevant to anything as speculating about what hypothetical new pokemon, might, possibly, perhaps have been scrapped in favour of Alolan Forms (zero probably)

Again I do like the concept of the Alolan forms, I am pro Regional forms and look forward to see them implemented in future installments. And yes, creating variations of units is more economical in a 3D game, that's why so many are utilizing it. And as long as GF doesn't get full-on Yo-Kai watch and gives us 20 versions of Pikachu I won't have anything against the concept of regional forms. I was only vetoing the idea that "everyone" would be happier if we had thirteen versions of some pokemon instead of some of the less popular Pokemon.

Last edited:

willprogresivo

Creepy Uncle

Jesus. Bleeping. Christ.

New things, "boring and tired".
Old things redux, "original and refreshing".

You're a bleep.

Sakuraba

Jesus. Bleeping. Christ.

New things, "boring and tired".
Old things redux, "original and refreshing".

You're a bleep.

There's no argument there....

-----------

Imma throw my hand in the fire. I like the Regional Variants idea. I don't necessarily love all of the Alolan ones, but I do like'em.

I just don't want them to remain Gen 1 exclusive. I'd love to see Pokémons from Johto - Alola evolve to other regions. Specially some of the more habitat dependent ones, like Sableye or Burmy.

TyLogic

Let's change the subject friends.

So Alola form Pokemon might have different stats from their normal counterparts right? Alolan Sandshrew is supposed to be slower and more heavy, but it can probably learn some good Ground-type moves, along with Alolan Marowak, who appears to be slightly faster and more powerful (Special attack wise).

Alolan Persian seems to have higher defense, but what irks me is its typing. Yeah, its cool that it's a Dark-type, but, if I'm correct, Persian already learned a lot of Dark-type moves, The only difference between them so far is that Alolan Persian gains STAB from its moves. Alolan Grimer is cool as well, and seems to have higher attack. I wonder if the changes will be more hindrance than help. So far, I can't see a problem with Alolan Grimer.

Orphalesion

So Alola form Pokemon might have different stats from their normal counterparts right? Alolan Sandshrew is supposed to be slower and more heavy, but it can probably learn some good Ground-type moves, along with Alolan Marowak, who appears to be slightly faster and more powerful (Special attack wise).

Alolan Persian seems to have higher defense, but what irks me is its typing. Yeah, its cool that it's a Dark-type, but, if I'm correct, Persian already learned a lot of Dark-type moves, The only difference between them so far is that Alolan Persian gains STAB from its moves. Alolan Grimer is cool as well, and seems to have higher attack. I wonder if the changes will be more hindrance than help. So far, I can't see a problem with Alolan Grimer.

Agreed.

I really hope Alolan Ninetales is faster and has higher Special Attack than regular Ninetales. It would greatly benefit from even a speed boost alone. A. Ninetales is easily the biggest change in typing (pretty much becoming the opposite of what it was) However it still makes sense due to real life arctic foxes and I wouldn't be surprised if A. Vulpix/Ninetales, together with A. Exeggutor were the origin of the idea of Alolan forms.

A. Persian being a dark type, while normal Persian already knows many Dark attacks is actually quite genius in my opinion, maybe the potential for Persian to be a Dark type was always there and the selective breeding by the Alolan royalty only brought it to light?

Last edited:

Anthea

Uhh you didn't hear about fur coat

Status
Not open for further replies.